Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Anyone have a rec for a knitting socks and knitting baby clothes books?

I didn't get any knitty presents, but I got some cash! :)

That's so ungrateful, Wandering Knitter, especially because they looked so cute!

BobShadycharacter, the oreo truffles aren't gritty at all and were clearly made by Satan who wishes me to be obese. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I didn't get any knitty presents, but I got some cash! :)

BobShadycharacter, the oreo truffles aren't gritty at all and were clearly made by Satan who wishes me to be obese. :devil:

I don't know why I'm so stuck on the oreo crumb thing. I'll try them sometime (though uh, not anytime soon, I should really start losing some weight before all my clothes just explode).

Funnily enough, I actually own a book called "Help Lord, The Devil Wants Me Fat" (it is <i>hilarious</i>).

I just got the Cookie A Sock Innovation book and it's got some amazing patterns in it. I'm also a big fan of the Cat Bordhi books ('new pathways for sock knitters' and 'personal footprints for insoucient knitters') although Cat is sort of a kooky crazy cat lady type.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Did you use a swift to hold the yarn up while doing it?

I'm obviously a huge novice but I think even tention and speed is important. Beyond that and getting the first yard or two on right and I think you're golden.

Now watch me prove myself wrong...

Yep, I used a swift. I'm having the most trouble with my Malabrigo yarn. I'm pulling from the center and its just big old globs that are sticking together. It's a pain because every row I have to untie it all.

It's like when I lifted it off of the roller it hosed up.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yarn could have gotten tangled up in the gears, and sometimes non-wools just don't wind up right.

Everything I wound was mostly wool (Berroco Vintage, Malabrigo Worsted, and Malabrigo Lace Weight). The Lace weight came out the best so I have no clue.

It's really awful and it's so fast but it's ruining all of my yarn :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It sounds like maybe you're winding too fast. If you crank the poo poo out of it, then yeah, it'll wind up messed up. Have you ever seen one being used, at a LYS or even in a youtube video?

You do have to lift it off pretty carefully, and you also have to be careful where you pull from. I wound a pure silk yarn, and all over the internet there are warnings you can't do a center-pull ball, or you'll wind up with yarn vomit all over the place -- it sounds like that's what's happening with your Malabrigo.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Anne Whateley posted:

It sounds like maybe you're winding too fast. If you crank the poo poo out of it, then yeah, it'll wind up messed up. Have you ever seen one being used, at a LYS or even in a youtube video?

You do have to lift it off pretty carefully, and you also have to be careful where you pull from. I wound a pure silk yarn, and all over the internet there are warnings you can't do a center-pull ball, or you'll wind up with yarn vomit all over the place -- it sounds like that's what's happening with your Malabrigo.

Yeah, that does sound like what's happening :(

Sadly, I WORK at my LYS, which is where I learned how to do it. I used to just do it by hand.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Okay, this woman seems pretty dim, but this is about the speed I would use (e: minus the awkward stopping; you want to keep it fluid). You can mute the video.

For more general tips (but don't watch for speed, these women are blitzing along), this and this both seem sensible.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 15, 2017

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Yes, as fun as it is don't wind it so fast your arm hurts. It's really fun, but not for the yarn! :v:

So next year I've promised myself to actually use my Ravelry account, and to find a knitting group in real life. Maybe now I'll be more social. :ohdear:

e: There's a near endless supply of knitting groups in my state, and yet none even remotely close to me. :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 27, 2009

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Dancingthroughlife posted:

My mom recently bought a book called Knitting For Baby. I know Melanie Falick is one of the people who wrote it. I was looking through it earlier and there are some cuuuuute patterns in it!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Wandering Knitter posted:

So next year I've promised myself to actually use my Ravelry account, and to find a knitting group in real life. Maybe now I'll be more social. :ohdear:

e: There's a near endless supply of knitting groups in my state, and yet none even remotely close to me. :saddowns:

I did this! I'm such an anxious, shy, awkward person- but I made myself join a knitting group. It's one of the best things I've ever done. The first few were awkward because I was so anxious that my hands would shake for the first 15 minutes and I was dropping stitches everywhere, but I'm so glad I did it.

Just join the board for your state and start a thread about your area. It might take a few weeks, but people will start to show interest. Once you have about 4, set a night and a place. After meetings, go back to the thread and talk about it. More people will come.

Our area didn't have any meetings at all. We drummed up enough interest for 3 people to join and started there. Now we're up to about 10 and have to shove 3 tables together at Atlanta Bread Company. It's really fun.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Anne Whateley posted:

Okay, this woman seems pretty retarded, but this is about the speed I would use (e: minus the awkward stopping; you want to keep it fluid). You can mute the video.

For more general tips (but don't watch for speed, these women are blitzing along), this and this both seem sensible.

Oh, those helped A LOT. I don't know why I didn't think of tension. That probably explains why my yarn is all hosed up.

Well, I wont make the mistake again! Thank you :)

Edit: Oh man I love the swift in the last video...

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 27, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
drat I am stupid. I'm making a set of French Press slippers for myself and got all smart thinking "I'll attach the sides as I go like you would the edging on a shawl and that way I won't have to sew the goddamn things up I am a GENIUS" and then I attached the second side to the first side instead of to, you know, the other side of the sole where it traditionally goes.

Nice pair of cubist slippers I just made. Good job!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Look under the rock wrote:

quote:

My mom recently bought a book called Knitting For Baby. I know Melanie Falick is one of the people who wrote it. I was looking through it earlier and there are some cuuuuute patterns in it!
Cool, that's one I was looking at!

The Cat Bordi books look good too. Thanks. :)

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I'm confused by my sock again. I've just shaped the heel (SO cool!) but I don't know what I'm doing with the gusset bit. I don't know where I'm putting what needle, where the yarn is going, what I'm slipping where... this poo poo is hard!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Gusset.htm

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Oh God, that looks so complicated. :smith:
Now I'm scared of socks. Or maybe just gusset.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I'm confused by my sock again. I've just shaped the heel (SO cool!) but I don't know what I'm doing with the gusset bit. I don't know where I'm putting what needle, where the yarn is going, what I'm slipping where... this poo poo is hard!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Gusset.htm

You can do it! You're taking an empty needle and sticking the tip through the stitches at the side of the heel flap, then wrapping the yarn around it and pulling a loop through just like if you were knitting a stitch - only the stitch you're knitting isn't on another needle like it usually is. You're creating new stitches all along that side edge of the gueestt. The needle should be going in from the right side towards the wrong side. You should have ended with a right side row on the heel last, so the working yarn is in the right place.

Once you get over to the other end of the heel flap, where there are live stitches waiting, then you'll knit those just like normal, and knit around to the other side of the heel flap and do the same thing.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

You can do it! You're taking an empty needle and sticking the tip through the stitches at the side of the heel flap, then wrapping the yarn around it and pulling a loop through just like if you were knitting a stitch - only the stitch you're knitting isn't on another needle like it usually is. You're creating new stitches all along that side edge of the gueestt. The needle should be going in from the right side towards the wrong side. You should have ended with a right side row on the heel last, so the working yarn is in the right place.

Once you get over to the other end of the heel flap, where there are live stitches waiting, then you'll knit those just like normal, and knit around to the other side of the heel flap and do the same thing.

I've managed to get it to work! I couldn't quite work out how I was meant to knit the stitch through the stitch already on the needle. Like everything with knitting (well... so far!) it's really simple when you actually know what you are meant to be doing!

Dancingthroughlife - they are honestly not too bad. If you can knit in the round and can count then you can make socks!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I've managed to get it to work! I couldn't quite work out how I was meant to knit the stitch through the stitch already on the needle. Like everything with knitting (well... so far!) it's really simple when you actually know what you are meant to be doing!

Dancingthroughlife - they are honestly not too bad. If you can knit in the round and can count then you can make socks!

It's always easier to watch someone else, I think. When I taught myself socks out of a book the heel turn actually made me doubt my own sanity for a while. "WHAT IS HAPPENING THIS MAKES NO SENSE". It's a very vivid memory, too, I was waiting for breakfast to come at an IHOP. I even remember which booth I was sitting in.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ThreeFish posted:

I did this! I'm such an anxious, shy, awkward person- but I made myself join a knitting group. It's one of the best things I've ever done. The first few were awkward because I was so anxious that my hands would shake for the first 15 minutes and I was dropping stitches everywhere, but I'm so glad I did it.

Just join the board for your state and start a thread about your area. It might take a few weeks, but people will start to show interest. Once you have about 4, set a night and a place. After meetings, go back to the thread and talk about it. More people will come.

Our area didn't have any meetings at all. We drummed up enough interest for 3 people to join and started there. Now we're up to about 10 and have to shove 3 tables together at Atlanta Bread Company. It's really fun.

I joined a knitting group just a couple of days after I bought my first needles and yarn. They were very nice, but man o man, so stereotypically female. All they did was talk about babies, and make fun of their husbands. I go back for meeting number 2 next week. They said they'd teach me a purl stitch then.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Meow Cadet posted:

I joined a knitting group just a couple of days after I bought my first needles and yarn. They were very nice, but man o man, so stereotypically female. All they did was talk about babies, and make fun of their husbands. I go back for meeting number 2 next week. They said they'd teach me a purl stitch then.

Ah. That's too bad! I think I lucked out because at 36, I'm one of the oldest ones there. It's a military town, so most of them are freshly married and very young. 2 of them work in medical labs, so there's a lot of gory, bloody stories. We share books and yarn and squish everyone's yarn and really have a good time.

:glomp: Here's to hoping you find some normal people to knit with!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ThreeFish posted:

Ah. That's too bad! I think I lucked out because at 36, I'm one of the oldest ones there. It's a military town, so most of them are freshly married and very young. 2 of them work in medical labs, so there's a lot of gory, bloody stories. We share books and yarn and squish everyone's yarn and really have a good time.

:glomp: Here's to hoping you find some normal people to knit with!

Oh, there were bloody stories... they started talking about periods. For reals. (I thought that poo poo only happened in sitcoms, and stand up routines!)

Anyway, knitting is kinda fun, and I think I'm doing pretty well at casting on, and garter stitch, my tension is still too tight, but it just takes practice.

Finding a good beginners pattern for my first project has consumed me. Everything looks too hard, or too boring. Are there any suggestions and/or classic newbie projects?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

Oh, there were bloody stories... they started talking about periods. For reals. (I thought that poo poo only happened in sitcoms, and stand up routines!)

Anyway, knitting is kinda fun, and I think I'm doing pretty well at casting on, and garter stitch, my tension is still too tight, but it just takes practice.

Finding a good beginners pattern for my first project has consumed me. Everything looks too hard, or too boring. Are there any suggestions and/or classic newbie projects?

I'm still really new at it, and I started off with a scarf, then tried my hand at something with shape (a hat) and then moved on to DPN's. Just try picking some patterns that look easy/cool and make those, without worrying if they look crappy.

Edit: I'm adding a bit of length to the wrist part of the mittens I made, and I'm running into a problem. I tried to bind off the way I was taught, but it wound up being way too tight even though the wrist wasn't. Are there any good stretchy-ish bind offs I could try?

Robin Sparkles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 28, 2009

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Hopefully this should help you, http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATsum06TT.html
scroll down to the "Particularly flexible bind offs" section. I used the first one binding off some gloves that had 2x2 ribbing for the cuffs, and it worked really well.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
Socks? Pfft. Who's afraid of socks?

Only my second socks ever.

And since I can't really get a good picture of my own foot, here's the pattern.

I've lusted after these since the pattern came out and they were totally worth it!

... Also, I wish I could find a knitting group! Two of my friends are learning to crochet so maybe we can get a group together if they stick with it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

UK goons, the Woolly Workshop is having a 25% off closing down sale. I just snagged 3 skeins of Manos silk :dance:

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Socks? Pfft. Who's afraid of socks?

Only my second socks ever.

And since I can't really get a good picture of my own foot, here's the pattern.

I've lusted after these since the pattern came out and they were totally worth it!

... Also, I wish I could find a knitting group! Two of my friends are learning to crochet so maybe we can get a group together if they stick with it.

oh...

oh my...

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

:swoon: Why does it only come once a year?!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

hollaback grandma posted:

:swoon: Why does it only come once a year?!

I would be terrified beyond words to use those dpns. I've broken so many wood needles in my time it's not funny. :gonk:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Those are gorgeous, Octupi!

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

I lost my Trilobite hat and replaced it with Emma. I made it with the leftover yarns from the xmas critters.

Now I'm totally out of projects!

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Found this on etsy, I really wanna make something like this for my girlfriend. Any idea what stitch this is?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
It looks like it's been crocheted with very chunky yarn.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
NOOOO I have to learn to crochet already. Everything I see that I really like, it turns out its been crochet and not knit. Im going to try Turkish stitch with 3 strands of yarn and my massive needles, I'll post results if they are at all decent.

E:horibble speeling

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Just when I had finally, finally decided not to add anything to my yarn stash, I got a gift certificate for Christmas. I got a skein of Handmaiden Mini Maiden wool/silk (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/handmaiden-fine-yarn-mini-maiden) in purple, because I have no purple yarn (only a lot of garnet and wine, heh), and a bunch of small skeins of bright coloured acrylic/nylon to make toys for my upcoming nephew. I want to make these: http://www.purlbee.com/toadstool-babyrattle/

Anyway, in case anyone else is traveling soon and is worried about their knitting needles being snatched due to increased security, I flew from Montreal to L.A. and didn't have my circular needle taken away through two bag searches. I originally had my project on my Harmony wooden circular needle but I was concerned that the wood looked quite pointy and had metal bits at the cable attachment, so I went out and got a cheap plastic circular needle (well, cheap being relative... it cost about the same as a Harmony set of tips plus cable). At any rate, it was not taken away from me.

I did manage all by myself to lose a ball of Noro Silk Mountain turquoise yarn somewhere in transit, though. My carryon bag was overfull and it must have rolled out in the waiting area or during a bag check or something. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Etheldreda posted:

I did manage all by myself to lose a ball of Noro Silk Mountain turquoise yarn somewhere in transit, though. My carryon bag was overfull and it must have rolled out in the waiting area or during a bag check or something. :(

There is nothing sadder than losing yarn. Somewhere in my house are two balls of fancy, handspun yarn that cost me $50. Just waiting for me to find them again. I hope. :smith:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I need some advice!

I knit a pair of mittens about a year ago with debbie bliss baby cashmerino. My hands are pretty small and they came out kind of big and slip around. I was going to just make a smaller lining out of fleece inside of it, but someone at work suggested felting them lightly.

I don't mind felting a bit, but they are colorwork mittens and i'm afraid it would mottle the image.

these are the mittens, for reference.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I picked up this book with my Christmas money:

http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Knitting-Brand-New-Groundbreaking-Patterns/dp/158479805X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262307649&sr=8-1

And I was wondering if anyone else here had it. The patterns in the first half are downright baffling in a good way (fake crochet what the gently caress) but there's far more ugly sweater patterns then I would like. :( At least the one bag pattern looks vaguely interesting.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Shnooks posted:

I need some advice!

I knit a pair of mittens about a year ago with debbie bliss baby cashmerino. My hands are pretty small and they came out kind of big and slip around. I was going to just make a smaller lining out of fleece inside of it, but someone at work suggested felting them lightly.

I don't mind felting a bit, but they are colorwork mittens and i'm afraid it would mottle the image.

I don't have any advice about felting since I know nothing about it, I just wanted to say that goddamn I love these mittens.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Awesomonster posted:

I don't have any advice about felting since I know nothing about it, I just wanted to say that goddamn I love these mittens.

Thank you :) The pattern is on Ravelry and was a gift from my boyfriend. It's kind of expensive but I love it!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cat-mittens

Edit: Ok, so looking at them again, what seems to happen is they fall off while I'm wearing them. I put elastic around the wrist part and it hasn't helped much. It's just one piece of string elastic, maybe more should be added?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 1, 2010

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
My cousin gave me a $20 gift certificate to yarnmarket.com and now I have to figure out what to spend it on! I have no idea. I also have no idea what to make, which I suppose would be a good place to start. Suggestions? (I have plenty of sock yarn, by the by).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I need some advice!

Beautiful mitts!

My grandmother is a big fan of felting. She's taken her craft to now include buying thrift store sweaters, cutting them up and sewing them into slippers (she sells them as 'Swippers' :3:) or purses and felting them. I've seen some of the colourwork sweaters she's used, and they've come out well with the design kept intact. I think she said that she sometimes has to 'shave' the fabric after felting, though -- taking off the first layer of superfuzz brings out the colour/pattern again. I remember one project from a sweater that had a fair isle many-colour bird motif in it that was felted and looked great. Maybe if your coworker is an experienced felter, she can offer some pointers. Her idea seems sound to me. :)