Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

I always throw in 1 roll of 1600 ISO just to have an excuse.
Do this. It even works on the French. Bonus points for Ilford 3200 so they can go "oooohhhh my!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

notlodar posted:

Do this. It even works on the French. Bonus points for Ilford 3200 so they can go "oooohhhh my!"

The last time I went to pick up Ilford 3200 the guy at the counter said something like, "What- are you going to be shooting a nascar race with all the lights turned off?" haha

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

notlodar posted:

Wouldn't that be "ooooh la la!"? :)

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I've just been given this - wish me luck!

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Ric posted:

I've just been given this - wish me luck!

Cool. I have a roll of ASA 100 Fuji color film that expired in 1980 that I want to shoot.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I have come into possession of several dozen rolls of expired film. They all appear to have expired around 2000-2002, and were stored in a cool basement. For black and white I have tmax 100, 400, and 3200, and plus-x. Do you guys think I can shoot and develop these like normal or should I modify my process somewhere?

The c-41 is B&W 400, Portra 400NC, PJ800, PMZ 1000, Royal Gold 200, and one roll that I think says PMC 400 on it.

There's also a couple rolls of slide film, should I ever bother trying with that?

Stregone fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 27, 2009

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

For me, black & white and slide film holds up really well, so that should be mostly fine. I have a bunch of exp. 1998 TMax and Ektachrome in my freezer, and every roll was exposed normally and has come out looking as expected.

C-41, in my experience, doesn't age as well. I got a bunch from the same source (all late 90s/early 00s expiration) and they've all come back looking underexposed, even if I overexposed a bit. Might want to try overexposing by one stop, get it developed, and see how it turns out. This might give you some sort of indication as to how it has aged in those conditions.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Huh, I always thought slide film didn't age well. Interesting.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I bought a few chemicals but I have trouble finding the complete set of chemicals I need. I have two types of film - 400TX and 400TMAX. It seems like the Tri-x could be push processed (shoot at at higher exposure index value and spend longer developing time?) and TMAX can not? Any other differences?

Any comments on Kodak T-MAX developer and Kodak Kodafix solution? I have been checking on other websites and watching youtube videos to get the grasp of developing my own B&W. I will probably experiment on my own but do I really need to use photoflo, a wetting agent and stop bath? I'm also interested in showing other non kodak B&W films like fuji and Ilford. Apparently the kodak spec sheet only shows the development times for kodak films :( is there anyway to find some sort of data for mixing and matching different developers with different films? free style photo is great!

Shooting with a flea market Canon Rebel G and listening to the shutter is a very fun experience. I just hope the insides are still in good condition. I also need to stop looking for a LCD screen and histogram when there is only a film back.

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 28, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as fixer goes, fixer is fixer to me. I honestly can't imagine what one brand of fixer could possibly have over another brand. I use a big jug of Ilford rapid fixer and it works fine. I do a clip test on a snippet of film before every developing just to make sure it still has kick. Remember not to pour it out after every use, just recycle it back into your container. It's a lot easier if you just dilute the entire bottle of fixer you get off the bat and keep it in a big jar or container. That way you don't have to portion out concentrate, and the only measurement you need with regard to fixer is knowing how much to pour from the bottle into your tank so you cover your roll.

I just use water for my stop agent. Pour out your developer and flush the tank for two or so minutes which might even be overkill. Water shouldn't be freezing or hot, try to get the same temperature you developed at to prevent emulsion cracking.

I haven't used photoflo or anything like that. I got water stains on my first roll so I add a drop of dishwasher jet-dry now and it seems to take care of everything. You can also wait until your photo is dry and just clean off the water stains. This chemical is entirely optional as far as I'm concerned. Unless you have the world's worst water I guess.

Also, go here for all your developing times. They also make a great iPhone app that has all the timers built in if you have an iPhone and a few bucks to spare.

The first time you develop a roll you'll probably be anxious and unsure of the timing, but after you've done it once you'll be able to do it in your sleep. Plus it's a lot of fun.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2009

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Stregone posted:

Huh, I always thought slide film didn't age well. Interesting.
That's been my experience at least, but YMMV of course.

caberham posted:

I bought a few chemicals but I have trouble finding the complete set of chemicals I need. I have two types of film - 400TX and 400TMAX. It seems like the Tri-x could be push processed (shoot at at higher exposure index value and spend longer developing time?) and TMAX can not? Any other differences?

Any comments on Kodak T-MAX developer and Kodak Kodafix solution? I have been checking on other websites and watching youtube videos to get the grasp of developing my own B&W. I will probably experiment on my own but do I really need to use photoflo, a wetting agent and stop bath? I'm also interested in showing other non kodak B&W films like fuji and Ilford. Apparently the kodak spec sheet only shows the development times for kodak films :( is there anyway to find some sort of data for mixing and matching different developers with different films? free style photo is great!

Shooting with a flea market Canon Rebel G and listening to the shutter is a very fun experience. I just hope the insides are still in good condition. I also need to stop looking for a LCD screen and histogram when there is only a film back.
Both films can be pushed, but Tri-X tends to work better - lots of people shoot 400TX at 3200, and I've heard of some going higher than that. TMax is alright pushed 1 stop IMO, but I wouldn't go much further than that. The two films have different looks - TMax is a finer grain, but a lot of people accuse it of looking too much like digital or some poo poo. Try them and see what you like. I didn't like TMax at first but now I use both quite a bit.

TMax dev is good for push processing, but works ok as a general purpose developer too. I prefer HC-110 myself. Haven't ever used Kodafix, but it should be fine. Might as well get some photoflo, since its ridiculously cheap. I've heard of some pro labs that don't use stop bath, and its probably not 100% necessary, but I wouldn't skip it just because it saves time and I'm impatient. The Massive Dev Chart is another good resource for development times.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Can we talk scanning for a bit? I just got a V500 for Christmas and I'm trying both Vuescan and SilverFast with it but drat, is it always going to be this much of a pain in the rear end? I feel like I'm fighting this software to complete a simple task. What do you guys use and can you give me a brief outline of your scanning workflow?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My recommendation is to just leave VueScan at its' defaults (other than scan size, etc) and get your photos out of VS and into Lightroom (or another photo application) as quickly as possible.

I would recommend setting a sample size of 4 or something though, since it does make your photos look a little better.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the thread guys! I just developed my first roll of Tri-X 400 @ ISO 400 film with the canon rebel G 17-40/F4 L! I had to use a can opener to pop open the film canister so using the changing bag to load the film into the reel took me quite a while.

however, I messed up majorly at the end. Instead of using clips and hanging them, I was cutting them into strips of 6 and laying them down to dry (i had not clips).

Photoflo wont help you to prevent water streaks if gravity is not wicking the water away :bravo: All in all, I think I can get the hang of this. Printing and enlarging is the problem for me now. Lots of photo shops don't print B&W and only use colour paper. Is that a big concern? I don't really care for now and plan on using my regular canon ink jet/scanner. Or buy the fancier canon ink jet with film scanner..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as clips go, just go to Staples and buy a box full of document clips. Or those little clips you use to keep open chip bags closed. I use document clips and just hang them from a lamp. I really wish I had a more dust-free environment to do it in, but no dice :(

But congrats on your first roll! It only gets easier from here.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I usually just tape the exposed leader to the ceiling of my shower using painters tape. There is not much floating dust in the bathroom because of the moisture.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's a really good idea, I'm going to do this. Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I bought a pair of suction cups with plastic hooks on them in the "bathroom" section of Walmart, tied a piece of nylon string to each, and strung a pair of binder clips up on it. The idea was having something easy to take down but it doesn't get in the way so I just leave it up full-time. I use wooden clothespins on the bottom to weight it.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

w_hat posted:

Can we talk scanning for a bit? I just got a V500 for Christmas and I'm trying both Vuescan and SilverFast with it but drat, is it always going to be this much of a pain in the rear end? I feel like I'm fighting this software to complete a simple task. What do you guys use and can you give me a brief outline of your scanning workflow?

I scan using vuescan, I seem to get better scans with it over silverfast.

As martyhoof said just scan with vuescan and leave it at that, I wouldnt try to do any post with scanner software.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

w_hat posted:

I use VueScan, used to scan at 3000dpi, now I go for a more moderate 1200. I don't have a lot of old stuff, so I leave Digital Ice off, as it adds time and sacrifices fine detail. The film I'm scanning is for the most part fresh out of the tank, so I just clone/etc all the imperfections out as needed. A graphics tablet (even a Wacom Bamboo) is great for this.

With the higher res scans I usually go do something else (read, study, clean etc) since it can take 18-20 minutes to do 12 frames at 3000dpi. Now that scan at lower res this is less of an option, although I'll still use the time to tidy up my room or read a quick article or two on my old laptop.

Edit: I think I asked before, not sure if it was in this thread or not. WTF is this crescent-shaped artifact? I've only seen it in this one shot:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Looks to me like the film got bent there, or something was touching it during development.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah I had that happened to me on a roll of Delta 3200 that REALLY didn't want to fit on the spiral. I believe it got bent on the last few frames leaving similar cresent shapes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hmm, I wonder it could be a thread or a hair or something? That's the only shot on the roll that it showed up in. Ah well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you forced the film onto the spiral, it could have become bent in just that one spot. When it's on the spiral don't forget that it doesn't go emulsion back to back to emulsion, but emulsion to plastic backing so it might well be the one place on the roll it would show up.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Looks to me like the film got bent there, or something was touching it during development.

Yeah he bent the film before he developed it. I used to do that all the time with 120.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

fronkpies posted:

I scan using vuescan, I seem to get better scans with it over silverfast.

As martyhoof said just scan with vuescan and leave it at that, I wouldnt try to do any post with scanner software.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I use VueScan, used to scan at 3000dpi, now I go for a more moderate 1200. I don't have a lot of old stuff, so I leave Digital Ice off, as it adds time and sacrifices fine detail. The film I'm scanning is for the most part fresh out of the tank, so I just clone/etc all the imperfections out as needed. A graphics tablet (even a Wacom Bamboo) is great for this.

Thanks guys, that really does seem to be the best option.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Toys!

Now I need a battery and a lens cap :ohdear:

Is there a euro-goons recommended place to get film?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Toys!

Now I need a battery and a lens cap :ohdear:

I've been to this place - https://www.silverprint.co.uk/

They have a pretty wide range of everything you could want.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

I use http://firstcall-photographic.co.uk/shop/categories/b-w-film/ for my film, cheapest ive found so far for tri x in the uk.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

evil_bunnY posted:

I use 7dayshop.com.

fronkpies, they're cheaper than firstcall for Tri-X.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Ric posted:

I use 7dayshop.com.

fronkpies, they're cheaper than firstcall for Tri-X.

Forgot to mention I buy the tri x they roll themselves from bulk (http://firstcall-photographic.co.uk/shop/categories/b-w-film/0/profilm/profilm-tri-x-pro-135-36-iso-400/)

I found that they very rarely have any stuff they have rolled themselves in stock, so they send you stock tri for the same price.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for the links pals. Tri-X for less than 3 pounds a roll is just what I was looking for. Hurray for the weak pound 8)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

Thanks for the links pals. Tri-X for less than 3 pounds a roll is just what I was looking for. Hurray for the weak pound 8)

If you plan on shooting a lot, look into bulk loading. Canada is in a similar situation in that B&W film prices can be horrific, but bulk loading takes a bit part of the sting out of that.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

HPL posted:

If you plan on shooting a lot, look into bulk loading. Canada is in a similar situation in that B&W film prices can be horrific, but bulk loading takes a bit part of the sting out of that.

I wonder what will happen to the price of film in the long term? I have no idea whether it will drop or rise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

fronkpies posted:

I wonder what will happen to the price of film in the long term? I have no idea whether it will drop or rise.

Inevitably it will rise as the cost of materials, manufacturing and transportation goes up. It should be a fairly stable rise though as film's decline seems to have stabilized or even reversed so it's not like the market is going to shrink even more and throw off the economy of scale even more. The thing to remember is that film wasn't all that cheap even when every camera used film and there were many more manufacturers in the world.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Bought an enlarger yesterday from someone on craigslist (a 4x5 enlarger that only came with a 50mm lens :psyduck: ), which included a box full of really old unexposed film:

1x Verichrome Pan 125
1x Vericolor II 100
1x Kodacolor II 80
1x Kodacolor-X 80
5x Tri-X 400

35mm
2x Panatomic-X 32
1x HP5 400
1x Pan F 50
1x Ektachrome-X 64
4x bulk loaded rolls of (I think) Tri-X

There was also most of a 100' roll of Tri-X in a bulk loader that I accidentally exposed. All of this film expired in the mid-70s, but I'm kind of curious to see how it all looks. I'll probably have to expose that Panatomic-X at EI 6 or something.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Bought an enlarger yesterday from someone on craigslist (a 4x5 enlarger that only came with a 50mm lens :psyduck: )

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the enlarger? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next couple of months.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

I just got the camera, so I'm first going to check whether it's got leaks or any other show stoppers, then arrange for some kind of metering (Wein cell probably) so I don't have to drag the dSLR along just for that.
Also I've got C-41 color film in it now, but I've got to find a place that'll take that B&W since I don't have any developing supplies. What the gently caress did I just get myself into :ohdear:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Also I've got C-41 color film in it now, but I've got to find a place that'll take that B&W since I don't have any developing supplies. What the gently caress did I just get myself into :ohdear:

Just buy the developing supplies yourself, B&W processing is usually more expensive than color at a lab, but is quite inexpensive and easy to do at home. It'll pay for itself by ten rolls, if not sooner. Dunno how it is over there, but often times in the US it's easy to pick up all the supplies you need from someone who took an Intro to Photography class at the local college and has no desire to keep shooting film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the enlarger? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next couple of months.
This one (Beseler 45AF) was $150, which seems to be pretty average as far as asking prices go around here. I actually have a Rolleimat Universal as well, but it requires an impossible-to-find condenser for anything larger than 35mm. The Beseler will cover just about everything else, but its ridiculously huge.