Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

Poser shot just after the lift and wheels. Was thinking of sending this to Rough country

That's a badass XJ. Ditch the stock bumpers and armor it up a bit and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kill-9 posted:

No sliders and unsmashed stock sills? You need to try harder. Stay off the bunny trails. :)

j/k Good looking Jeep with a good looking lift.

I've got a dent in the passenger side rocker now. You can see it in some of the pics. I ditched the front bumper, and have sliders on the way. I've been trying to be careful around the rocks until I get the sliders.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

jonathan posted:

I've got a dent in the passenger side rocker now. You can see it in some of the pics. I ditched the front bumper, and have sliders on the way. I've been trying to be careful around the rocks until I get the sliders.

Sliders is a must IMO, always the first thing I slap on a off road vehicle. Not that I'm afraid of dents but why beat something that it's a pain in the rear end to repair or replace when you don't have to.

Plus you don't suck your seat up your rear end when you go through a rock pile scraping every which way :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 16, 2009

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BigKOfJustice posted:

Sliders is a must IMO, always the first thing I slap on a off road vehicle. Not that I'm afraid of dents but why beat something that it's a pain in the rear end to repair or replace when you don't have too.

Plus you don't suck your seat up your rear end when you go through a rock pile scraping every which way :)

Yeah it sucks with these XJ's because there isn't a way to pound it back out. I think I might pay a bodyman to pull it out as straight as possible and then I'll just rock guard it black and then stick the sliders over.

I'm getting these:

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/XJ_SuperSquare.html

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

BigKOfJustice posted:

Sliders is a must IMO, always the first thing I slap on a off road vehicle. Not that I'm afraid of dents but why beat something that it's a pain in the rear end to repair or replace when you don't have too.

Yeah. It provides a great deal of piece of mind. It's always the rock or drop off you don't see that eats a rocker. Sliders are definitely a must if you're doing anything other than blasting through mud puddles like the hicks around here do in their lifted trucks.

I've shown up to go wheeling with newbies and they'll pull up in the truck with the fancy steps and the first thing I'll ask is 'How much do you like them steps?' Every single one who has decided to wheel after I've warned them that they most likely _will_ rip them up has done so. :)

I still need to add some rear protection to my Defender. Even with its very steep departure angle I've hit those rear corners so many times I don't even bother pounding them back out any more. I don't even want to discuss my fat rear end Classic and its appalling departure angle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

tek screw alloy Checkerplate over the dented rear quarters on the Defender.

The lux runs steel bars front, sides and rear now, purely because of the departure angle that the tray gives you!

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Took some glamor shots of my Jeep this morning, it's pretty dry here in FL so the only thing to run through are bumpy gravel roads and soft sand.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It's been raining for the past few days here nonstop, so everything is muddy, slick, and fun to play in. Me and my friend took my Blazer and camera out to a spot near where he lives right beside the river and I thrashed the old girl while he took shots.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Swinging around that tree and nailing the gas as you come around and exit the turn is loving amazing since the mud is so slick. You can hold a slide for quite a ways :D

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ferremit posted:

tek screw alloy Checkerplate over the dented rear quarters on the Defender.

Oh, it's got checkerplate all over the rear end end to cover dents. One day I'll fab up a giant steel 'diaper' for the drat thing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Welp, I got a month off which means I can get caught up on my truck, I got a storage units worth of parts, and I'm about to tear the frame down and everything on the H1, so I'll probably set up a big project thread for that, start to finish by the end of the month. Hopefully I can get everything wrapped up by then.

But meanwhile, I had a chance to go out to to Holcomb for trail maintenance...

I took a few pictures ....

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Holcomb_Creek_Trail

It was shut down in 2007 due to fires, but the BLM and Park Service is allowing 2 Jeep groups and our Hummer group to clean up the trail so that it's safe to reopen. Mostly dealing with erosion issues and boulders [not moving too many but ones that have shifted or rolled onto the trail since 07].

Another issue is dead trees. The Forest Service went ahead and tied off tress to be removed. You can't have a 3000 lb dead tree fall on top of a few folks going through the area.

Usually we use chain saws, drop the dead tree on the high side of the trail, hook up a tree saver and a shackle on a tree on the low side of the trail and winch them over and off the trails. Hopefully things will be in good shape so the Forest service can open the trail up for access again. It wasn't a real off road trip, more like work...

But here we go:

California on fire? Yes! We were a few miles away from the fire line that sprung up on the opposite side of the 15. California or Mordor? You decide.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

This is a few miles into the trail past the first river crossing. A jeep group [Victor Valley I think] was already on site doing cleanup so we moved onto the bigger stuff down the trail. I missed the opportunity of taking a picture of a Jeep CJ's tire carrier cover. "Save the desert, plant a sierra club member"

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

This is the Park side of the trail down from Big Bear. It's still gated off, but the ranger gave us access to the trail. They should put up a warning sign. Your vehicle *MAY* become disabled, you *will* get body damage. Just like Disneylands warning signs for water :) But the first part of the trail is pretty mild for a few miles.

A little further in where we started clearing dead trees away from the trail.

After going over a series of boulders, one of the trucks started making fan hitting noises. We figured it was a broken motor mount or cooling stack mis-alignment.

This was a new guys truck. Really nice guy, a vet, came back to the US became a firefighter and got an used H1 after driving them overseas for a while. He had everything setup nice on his truck with military cases for all of his tools. Took all the chrome off and swapped to HMMWV wheels, and fixed it up.

So we did the broken mount test by hitting the brakes and standing on the thottle in D and R and determined the L mount broke. We fixed it by crossing heavy duty chain over the motor mount and looping it back to the frame mount and securing it with a few grade 8 bolts. After that we're back on the go again.

I didn't take many pictures of the more crazy bits of the trail. It's more like John Bull "jr" if you are familar with the socal off roading scene. It's not bad, but with an H1 you have to tackle some obstacles at interesting angles.

After spending most of the day taking down trees and hauling logs off the trail, we went back across the mountains using BLM trails and came across a Camel Ranch on federal land in the middle of nowhere :psyduck:

And I mean no where as in no public service roads, no utilities, in the desert at 6500 ft.

After camping out the night, and being almost blown away by the high winds, we went back down home, this is coming down 15 from Victorville. You can see the fire still burning on the right. The pattern on the glass is the heated windshield element which is an option on some H1 models.

Now I got to figure out what parts I need before I start tearing down my truck this weekend.

-> New wireing harness for lights.
-> New lockers
-> New ujoints
-> New skid protect
-> New cross members
-> New cupholder :3:
-> New alloy nutserts and trim pieces
-> New seat mount on body
-> New Paint
-> Welding rust spots on doors
-> strip out interior
-> Install Boost/EGT guages

etc

It's going to be a long month.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2009

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That looks like one hell of a fun trail! Wish I had something like that around here, I've just got a few abandoned rock quarries and a really rough trail that is solid red clay behind my apartment complex :shobon:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can't help but think that camel farm was set up by an entrepreneur who didn't much care that it was technically illegal - just "hey, I've got camels, what do camels like? Desert? Right, Home Depot for some fencing, that's sorted then."

The wood looks pretty recent, too. Do you phone this stuff in to the feds?

4-wheeling is fun as hell; I've never driven any serious vehicles but I've got a lot of seat time in ATVs and whaling farm trucks up and down hills and through forests and rivers. The city's expansion fenced off and "protected" one of the forests I used to go with my buddy's S-15 through. Now it's mostly occupied by hobos and probably a meth lab or two. :sigh:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 23, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The wood looks pretty recent, too. Do you phone this stuff in to the feds?

It's legal. There's ranchers up in the mountains, horses and cattle I've seen. But not camels.

From what I understand you can purchase or lease land from the BLM for personal use but you have to prove that there is public access to the land [via a road of some sort, and BLM trails are very much in the grey area of "public road"]. I have a friend who has a ranch on BLM land with a house but it's not part of any township.

It's pretty funny because hes the one guy in our entire group who needs a big rear end 4x4 to get to his home every day :v:

There's also homesteading laws but that will vary wildly from state to state.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Decided to do a little work on the Defender this morning. I had to tow it home after our last outing because the rear axle was all over the place. I couldn't drive anywhere near a straight line.

I think I found the problem.

While I was at it I replaced the wimpy rear end trail arms with something a little beefier. A couple of nice RoverTym cranked trailing arms. This should help with my bushing trashing issue also.

Now on to finding that drat leak in the clutch system. Been a plague for a year. Clutch fluid just evaporates into nothing. No puddles under the truck, nothing. Every 3-4 weeks I have to re-bleed the system because it's gone empty again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

Now on to finding that drat leak in the clutch system. Been a plague for a year. Clutch fluid just evaporates into nothing. No puddles under the truck, nothing. Every 3-4 weeks I have to re-bleed the system because it's gone empty again.
It's not going down the inside of the bulkhead, is it?

Also, I can't remember which ones it is, but isn't there an issue with the actuator punching through the clutch fork on LR trannies, and you can get a reinforced one to replace it?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

It's not going down the inside of the bulkhead, is it?

That's what I thought. Nope. If it was there'd be like a gallon in there by now. It's been frustrating as hell. It's not leaking down the bulkhead. There's none in the bell housing. There's not drip on the floor.

My only explanation is clutch fluid fairies stealing it in the middle of the night.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I'm replacing all of my bushings right now [or rather in 2 weeks]. I'm being lazy and decided to pick up new [army surplus] control arms with bushings already installed. I got a set of upper arms from the race team, with 2 part polyurethane bushings with grease fiiting but I think I'll just stick with the rubber and steel bushings from the OEM :effort:

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

Kill-9 posted:

My only explanation is clutch fluid fairies stealing it in the middle of the night.

If it was evaporating there'd be big gummy balls of gack everywhere. It leaves pretty manky deposits.

Just pull the whole thing, it can't be that difficult on a Defender. :v:

I really need to finish my car, so I can go break it somewhere.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

What is going on in this picture? Is that just the standard battery position in civilian H1s?

I also envy your trails.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Here's my 2004 VW Touareg, v8, air suspension, locking rear and center diffs, nav, and special cricket leather interior.

I do most of my off-roading around South Jersey in the Pine Barrens, looking for ghost towns, ruins, and whatnot. My days of going "muddin" are over now that I am older and realized the impact that had on a lot of fragile species down there. This is also my DD so I don't want to beat on it too hard.

So most of my shots are pretty tame. This is the usual type of trail I'm on:

Yeah, it's a little narrow. Got some new pin striping on the 'egg. That roads leads down to the ruins of an abandoned hunting lodge that burnt down sometime in the 1930-1950's.

As an aside, you can check out my report of that trip here.

Here's a crossroads. The trail, already pretty narrow, gets much thinner up ahead, so it's best to walk the last mile. The road to the left goes on and then peters out, and the road to the right pretty much has been swallowed up by the woods. It led to the lost "town" of Aserdaten in the Forked River Mountains.

Here you can see the air suspension fully raised. It's pretty swank to be able to raise and lower the vehicle from inside the vehicle. It will stay fully raised until you hit 10mph (unless you hit the "lock" button), and then will move down to the next level. For day to day driving I leave it in "sport" mode, which is the second lowest level.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh wow, those trails may not be super rough and hardcore but they're pretty drat beautiful!

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Personally, those are my favorite type of trail to go down. You still get to go out into the woods, see a lot of cool and beautiful stuff, run through a little mud, etc. and you usually don't have to worry about beating the poo poo out of your vehicle.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Skyssx posted:

What is going on in this picture? Is that just the standard battery position in civilian H1s?

I also envy your trails.

The batteries were originally stored under the passenger seats like on the HMMWV until 1995 or so, then they were relocated to the left passenger fender area. I'm not sure of the reason other than it's easier to access and service. I guess it's a bit safer than having it in the cab.

CA is amazing for trails which is strange considering how restrictive the state is on automotive related stuff. Within 2 hours drive of LA you have mud, rock, desert, woods and snow [in the winter]. Pretty mind blowing coming from Eastern Canada where you have a few wood trails and fields with rocks and that was it.

Electric Snake
Sep 25, 2003
FUCKEN HELL MATE 8----------------------D
All these XJ pics are making me miss mine horribly. :(

First time i got really stuck. 32" tires dont do well in 36" deep tracks.

Totally awesome pismo shot.

drat I miss it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

themachine posted:

Personally, those are my favorite type of trail to go down. You still get to go out into the woods, see a lot of cool and beautiful stuff, run through a little mud, etc. and you usually don't have to worry about beating the poo poo out of your vehicle.

Yup. Most of my time in the woods is really geared around going to specific places that I find on maps, so often it's "drive as close as I can, walk in." I don't have any 4x4 driving friends anymore, so everything I do is solo or with my daughter in the back. I tend to be very cautious because if I get stuck it's going to be a bitch and a half to get pulled out.

The Touareg is great off-road. I'd say that it's probably 80% of what my old Rubicon was, and since I really never even used that to it's full potential, it's perfect. The only problem is it's bulk which makes going down tight trails a pleasure.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I posted this on vancouvermustangs.com, and I'll cross post it over here and the other Beep Beep Jeep thread.

quote:

Squidz, Nate, Myself and some others were supposed to go wheeling this morning, but at 4:30am my head was still spinning from alcohol so I bitched out. Around 2pm The Champ called and started calling me names, so, fighting the urge to vomit I dragged myself out of bed, fueled up on a Tim Horton's poo poo sandwhich, and stumbled over to Vedder mtn to make our way up to the lookout.

Me

My friend Kelly

The view

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I really wish there were some decent trails up near me in Ohio. I want a reason to build up my Jeep but its hard to justify it if its just going to be a mall crawler.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
my offroad truck:

(no good wheelin pics bc im always driving)

progression:

stock

stock height 31 xterrains

4" suspension 3" body on 38 tsls

10" suspension 3" body 38 tsls

10+3 on 22/37 (current setup)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

thArf posted:

:words:

:words:

Where in Mass is this? I think I've wheeled at that spot before.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
that pic was taken just off cherry st on rt 20 by the candy mansion

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I have been looking at floor jacks because I am sick of working on cars using the widowmaker jacks. My intent was to get one that would lift up cars and trucks just fine in the driveway, but also fit under my back seat to be used "on the trail". On the trail meaning in dirt or gravel, not necessarily while 4 wheeling. However, I find that anything capable of lifting a 1/2 ton truck is way to huge to just snug up underneath a back seat. And anything capable of hiding in the cab, will not lift a truck.

Do people use gently caress you huge 4-ton floor jacks and just carry them in a bed box, or are hydraulic bottle jacks common on the trails?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

thArf posted:

Last winter a few miles from my house there was a lifted jeep with a snow plow on top of a HUGE pile of snow with a giant "for sale" sign hanging off the plow. Good advertising.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Skyssx posted:

Do people use gently caress you huge 4-ton floor jacks and just carry them in a bed box, or are hydraulic bottle jacks common on the trails?

Most folks out wheeling use Hi-Lift type jacks.

Here's one happily stowed in the bed of a pickup.

They're dangerous though. A Hi-Lift would like nothing more than to knock every loving tooth out of your skull given the chance, and it won't just hit you once, it keeps coming back for more.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Is there any way to find out where I can wheel in my area? the nearest places are over an hour away. Id even be ok with some old access roads or something but every place in the area seems to be rather populated.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Finally got a little bit dirty in Big Bend National Park this past weekend:

Obligatory glamor shot. Took this on the side of River Road near the San Vicente turnoff.

Little bit of stretch on Old Ore Road if I remember correctly.

Don't remember exactly where this was. It was probably on Black Gap.

Say what you will about FJ's - it kept up really well.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Skyssx posted:

Pretty much. The widowmaker/high lift jacks looks cool but in years of wheeling I've never had to use one. 90% of the people who use them have no idea what they're doing and I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone almost lose their jaw or break an arm on the drat things.

I take a factory jack, a bottle jack and a titan lift/jack:

http://www.airjackusa.com/

There are companies that make sleds and accessories for standard floor jacks to make them more portable off road:

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Tools/Jacks.html

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
Finally got some decent snow in Jersey.

Found a stock full size excursion that tried to go down a fresh trail.
Pulled him out and went on our way.

Yes he has a Dixie horn.

Found an envoy stuck on the side of the road. Pulled him out and moved on.

A good day. First decent snow I've had this truck in.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Ironically, I think this image was taken about the same time as the images above, albeit in Connecticut.

Crazy rear end, completely fresh logging road, Stafford, Connecticut.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Took out the Classic this past weekend with the intention of doing some GPS mapping for our upcoming SCARR event.

300 yards down the first trail(really a creekbed with flowing water) I went to climb a waterfall I'd climbed many times before in the 90. The Classic was having none of that.

Got the front end up and couldn't quite get the rear up. The truck settled back and bent both trailing arms quite badly. It took two trucks to recover me. One winching from the front and another anchored to the rear axle to prevent the tires walking forward into the sliders.

Yours truly on the right with the blue hair.

I'm pretty sure your rear tire shouldn't look like this.

Look in front of the axle. That bit hanging down should be straight.

Got myself pulled to dry ground and pulled the arms. These should both be straight. That 'S' curve takes talent. Anyone can bend one. It takes a 'special' in-duh-vidual to bend it two different ways.

Had my spares delivered from home 45 mins away and was back and running. Fun weekend. They've now been replaced with HD cranked arms so that won't happen again.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

oof. Was that OEM trailing arms?

I'm starting to think of carrying a set of radius arms/center link in my spare parts case. Already have 3 different sized half shafts, spare ball joints and spare idler and pitman arms so far.