Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.

yeah, I know, but I'm fairly certain that you're using an IR beam (someone correct me if I'm wrong) from the camera to pop the flash. Test it out by facing the flashes away from you and see if they go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know why you'd want the lights as close to the stage as possible. I'd want them at least reliably catching the perfomers' eyes without creating that nasty ceiling-bouncing shadow.
I'd think about setting the flash to a low manual power and just trigger them with the optical slave (if your units can do that. I don't know about Canon, but Nikon's commander mode seriously destroys my ability to time shots properly (because of the delay caused by flash commands on top of TTL metering).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

The stage lights are usually just dim red/blue lights - so there's not a lot to think about there.

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.

whoa what? I sell this camera (and own one) and I wasn't aware of this. Does it still require a 580EXII to be used as a master, or can it remotely trigger a 430EXII?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One of the big features on the list was that the built-in flash can act as a commander (like Nikon bodies, basically).

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bed now. This light is from overhead projector, not remote flash. Looks pretty good for 6400 ISO though!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

Bed now. This light is from overhead projector, not remote flash. Looks pretty good for 6400 ISO though!

Wow, that looks insanely good for 6400. Thanks, now I have to fight the urge to buy a 7D.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Time to bring this thread back to life a bit. I just got back a little while ago from shooting No Fights Fest 2 at the QVCC in Worcester, MA featuring Nemes, Letterday, Tomorrows War, The Breakup Season, Dear Saint and Sweet Hollow Drive. Here are some preview pictures (which have not been edited in any way)!

Sweet Hollow Drive Guitar Swing (he pointed at me before he did this)

The guest vocalist was rather energetic

Yes that is an electric violin

I think the crowd likes it

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
gently caress yeah, that's some dope poo poo. That's like the holy grail of guitar toss photos.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

gently caress yeah, that's some dope poo poo. That's like the holy grail of guitar toss photos.

He did it twice (both giving me advance notice). The second time I caught it in the beginning instead of the end. It still looks cool, but holy poo poo I was stoked to have captured that. I need to get rid of the mic at the top though (I was shooting with the 10-20mm).

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Hot Cops posted:

yeah, I know, but I'm fairly certain that you're using an IR beam (someone correct me if I'm wrong) from the camera to pop the flash. Test it out by facing the flashes away from you and see if they go off.

It uses IR and visible light to trigger the flash. It can't just use IR only. As long as you are in a reasonably reflective environment then it will be no problem. So it's not direct line of sight, but it is also not true wireless. For that you do need specialized kit - when I need that (not for concert stuff) I use Cactus V4 and set everything to manual.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

mysticp posted:

It uses IR and visible light to trigger the flash. It can't just use IR only. As long as you are in a reasonably reflective environment then it will be no problem. So it's not direct line of sight, but it is also not true wireless. For that you do need specialized kit - when I need that (not for concert stuff) I use Cactus V4 and set everything to manual.

I got a set of CTR-301Ps off ebay via Yonguo Digital and they haven't failed me yet. I love cheap rear end radio triggers

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
Argh, pushing ISO on a 40D looks lame.
And as far as I know you can only pump it to 1600 (I forget who said it but someone said you could pump it to 3200). That said, I would not want to go higher then this.
These are straight from the camera.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I used a 40D for a big festival last year and I'm 99% sure it let me use 3200 without too much effort.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You can get over 1600 by changing one of the Custom Functions on the 40D.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In the next half hour or so I will be heading (back) out to Worcester to shoot the Four Year Strong Holiday Show. Bands include: Four Year Strong, Bane, Therefore I Am, Beyond City Lights and Smartbomb.

I'm going to be in the photo pit with the guy from Future-Breed and the guy from Return to the Pit. This is going to be interesting to say the least...seeing how my flash diffuser is made from a damned cool whip container. But, as you can see from the photos I have posted, it works pretty drat well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I shot Four Year Strong on the Taste of Chaos tour earlier this year. They like to hop around a lot. Use a wide angle and get a shot of them all jumping at the same time if you can. It's a neat effect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abortmagazine/sets/72157616272005242/

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

No. 9 posted:

You can get over 1600 by changing one of the Custom Functions on the 40D.

I tried the to change some settings (basically I googled 1600 ISO 40D and found some settings to change). I still couldn't get above 1600. Unfortunately I can't find that link, for example I think one of them was "High ISO speed noise reduction" is off. There were also a couple of other settings that I tried to fiddle with.
Basically, I'm sure you're right, but I've tried to find the settings I need to change and so far I've been unsuccessful.
(That said, 1600 is pretty noisy already.)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

I shot Four Year Strong on the Taste of Chaos tour earlier this year. They like to hop around a lot. Use a wide angle and get a shot of them all jumping at the same time if you can. It's a neat effect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abortmagazine/sets/72157616272005242/

The lighting at the Palladium is pretty horrific so I was shooting flash (with wide angle!) and I hope I got a few good shots.

I got an amazing shot of the Bane guitarist, he jumps wicked high

*edit* I love the inadvertent stroboscopic effect when you catch another flash during your exposure

*edit v2* The crazy rear end guitarist from Bane

Full Preview Set Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/sets/72157623084782608/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 28, 2009

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I am shooting Neon Indian tonight. Should be interesting.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
And the crowd goes wild (for Therefore I Am)

Anybody notice something special about this photo? rockcity i'm looking at you

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
hey pr0digal, do you use the flash on or off camera? I have yet to use flash in small places because I don't want to be too annoying with it, but i might save it for the last song and just go nuts because I'm starting to go to some really dark and hole in the ground bars.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
These are my unedited picks from Neon Indian last night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157623095273936

Never shot a venue with real lights, kind of crazy.

edit: Yes, half of my pics are of the keyboardist because she was right in front of me.

edit2: Soooooo...do I just turn everything black & white to have amazing pictures or did I just stumble on some secret?

Here are my edited pictures: http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Music/NeonIndian/

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 30, 2009

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dunkman posted:

edit2: Soooooo...do I just turn everything black & white to have amazing pictures or did I just stumble on some secret?

You go Black and White on the really noisy ones, that way it looks like Film Grain and it looks intentional. I think we discussed that earlier in the thread.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

hey pr0digal, do you use the flash on or off camera? I have yet to use flash in small places because I don't want to be too annoying with it, but i might save it for the last song and just go nuts because I'm starting to go to some really dark and hole in the ground bars.

The way I see it - if the band is okay with you using flash, that's all that really matters. The management usually doesn't care. Other people in the crowd usually aren't paying too much attention unless you're bouncing off a ceiling full power 100x a minute.

dunkman posted:

Pics

Nicely done! The last one is the strongest, of course. Please clone out the two spotlights. The others are actually quite strong, just need to have their levels adjusted. Kudos.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Dark holes are the most fun to shoot. I just ask the bands, and I've never had issues. Try to feather your lights a wee bit and avoid high power blitz in the performers' faces.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

And the crowd goes wild (for Therefore I Am)

Anybody notice something special about this photo? rockcity i'm looking at you

My guess would be that the gentleman struggling to stay atop the crowd who at first glance appears to be just another crowd surfer is actually the singer since there is a mic cord near him. I'm more laughing at the kid looking right into the camera and smiling.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Four Banger posted:

I just found out I got a photo pass for the Flogging Molly Gig next thursday! I gotta go buy a 50/1.8 now! I'm super pumped as this will be my first bigger band. and I made a good contact!
This is from waaay back, but you don't allow PMs so I've gotta ask here: who did you contact to get the photo pass, the band or a local paper or something? I don't get to see FM all that often but the next time I do I'm gonna do everything I can to get a pass; I got these the last time they came to town, but I was dodging security the whole show and I'd kill to be able to roam freely next time.

vv That's great advice, thanks!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 30, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

jackpot posted:

This is from waaay back, but you don't allow PMs so I've gotta ask here: who did you contact to get the photo pass, the band or a local paper or something? I don't get to see FM all that often but the next time I do I'm gonna do everything I can to get a pass; I got these the last time they came to town, but I was dodging security the whole show and I'd kill to be able to roam freely next time.

I always go through publicity/management unless I know the band personally. Most publicists are pretty lenient and if you have any form of website put together they'll usually approve you barring it being a show that a ton of people put in for. Usually you want to email about 2 weeks before the show. If you do it earlier a lot of the time they'll say to email closer to the show and if you wait to long, sometimes the list is full.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

sorry for the late response, i've been in DC with limited internet for the past few days. I was shooting on camera flash at that show, I had it at 1/2 power and diffused so as not to blind anybody. Almost every single photographer in the pit (save the AP guy and a shooter with a 35mm prime) had a flash.

rockcity has it correct! that would be the lead singer of Therefore I Am who decided to go crowd surfing

*edit* photos from the show are up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157622986629569/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 1, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

JJ Grey and Mofro play the same place every NYE, a little place caled Freebird Cafe. I am not a huge fan of the place for photography- no pit, bad light and too crowded. But it's a great place to see a show.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

Eeek posted:

I really love this photo, but I think you should shop out that light (?) in the top left hand corner, it's a bit distracting.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Arinel posted:

I really love this photo, but I think you should shop out that light (?) in the top left hand corner, it's a bit distracting.

I'd be more concerned with cropping out the head at the bottom of the photo, it immediately tells you that the photo was shot from the crowd.

In a week I'm flying out to Detroit to shoot an old friend of mine's wedding and I managed to set up a shoot with another old friend of mine's band while I'm out there. I need to come up with some shoot ideas for indoors since, well it's Michigan in January and balls cold. I think he has an old workshop we might be able to do something with. I'll post some shots of what I come up with next week.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 1, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't notice that in the corner, thanks Arinel. That's one of the big problems shooting Freebird, rockcity- you have to shoot from the crowd.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eeek posted:

I didn't notice that in the corner, thanks Arinel. That's one of the big problems shooting Freebird, rockcity- you have to shoot from the crowd.

Yeah, I figured that, that's why I suggested cropping the head out. I've had the same problem a few times, namely when I get there and there's no barricade.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie
I shot my first band photos tonight at their New Year's Party. They were playing to a weird crowd and had to learn a lot of covers in a short amount of time so it didn't really have the feel of a real show, but I think I captured a few good ones in my first go.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I was feeling really good about my shots, and then saw some of the ones that have been posted recently. I'm still happy with my shots, but man you guys are good.

Anyways, local band.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I was feeling really good about my shots, and then saw some of the ones that have been posted recently. I'm still happy with my shots, but man you guys are good.

Anyways, local band.

I love the expression on his face; classic.

While the photo of Aaron from Bane is not technically well done, I like the stroboscopic effect of another flash being fired during my exposure.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

snarky puppy is pretty good.

I got closer tonight. But I had three things working against me- the light, the hat and the crowd. It was either blues or reds and when it wasn't the overhead stuff was cut off by the hat. I was up front, too and I hating being that guy up front. I stayed my three songs but still heard 'good, he's leaving' when I bolted. Hate shooting there. I'll be back tomorrow, though.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I present to you, the shittiest concert photography experience I've ever had: Moby at the Sydney Opera House.

Five photographers were kept outside the venue for an HOUR waiting for the label's PR person to show up to let us in. Once we were let in we were kept to the far sides of the venue, and had rather lovely lighting for the first three songs.

Only had 50mm and 28-75mm lenses with me, so please enjoy my heavily cropped and incredibly lovely Moby photos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

I present to you, the shittiest concert photography experience I've ever had: Moby at the Sydney Opera House.

Five photographers were kept outside the venue for an HOUR waiting for the label's PR person to show up to let us in. Once we were let in we were kept to the far sides of the venue, and had rather lovely lighting for the first three songs.

And that is why I largely gave up on big name concert photography. This isn't a career for me, so I'd rather have a ton of fun shooting small bands, all else being equal.