Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

albedoa posted:

Yeah I appreciate the response pwn, but you might be on the other end of the curve from me :D Maybe some more average users can share their habits?

I do pretty much what pwn does. I crop to 8x10 dimensions mostly, or leave it uncropped, and save at 12, then post full size to flickr...mostly as a storage/backup medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I pretty much take full size RAWs. I always end up exporting at 1024-long-edge. Flash memory isn't that expensive anyways. You'll never regret taking a picture that's too high-res, but you will probably regret taking a picture that's too low-res one day.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

CanuckBassist posted:

I pretty much take full size RAWs. I always end up exporting at 1024-long-edge. Flash memory isn't that expensive anyways. You'll never regret taking a picture that's too high-res, but you will probably regret taking a picture that's too low-res one day.

Indeed. I usually run with 8GB and 16GB cards as opposed to a bunch of smaller cards because nothing sucks more than getting a chance at a killer shot only to be greeted with "CARD FULL".

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm getting sick of waiting for Lightroom to render my RAW files. I'm running a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM, what should I be looking at upgrading to increase Lightroom's speed?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

psylent posted:

I'm getting sick of waiting for Lightroom to render my RAW files. I'm running a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM, what should I be looking at upgrading to increase Lightroom's speed?

Processor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

psylent posted:

Shoot JPEG?

FAKEDIT: I usually queue up all the rendering and then do it as a big batch while I go for a dump, or have a meal or something

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have a core2 duo 3.16Ghz with 8GB of RAM, I can't complain at all.

Are you using the 64-bit version?

Does LR utilize the GPU much? If so, maybe look at that?

e: I've never changed any of the thumbnail/preview settings, so that's not it

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009

Interrupting Moss posted:

I have a core2 duo 3.16Ghz with 8GB of RAM, I can't complain at all.

e: I've never changed any of the thumbnail/preview settings, so that's not it

GPU usually isn't considered much for processing specs.

Psylent, what camera are you using and what size RAW files are you using? RAW, mRAW, sRAW? Does your camera write 12 or 14-bit RAW? My friend has an i7 Quad 3.2 and even he renders his 5D Mark II's RAW files slowly due to the size of each photo.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

psylent posted:

How many photos do you process at once, because I have this exact same set up and it's pretty speedy.

Alternatively, take up smoking.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

brad industry posted:

How many photos do you process at once, because I have this exact same set up and it's pretty speedy.

it seems like 'Lightroom preview-generating time' is pretty much always 'smoking time'

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When doing a concert shoot, I load up the files into Lightroom, go to bed, wake up, post-process the photos then have breakfast while the files are finishing up and exporting.

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009

HPL posted:

When doing a concert shoot, I load up the files into Lightroom, go to bed, wake up, post-process the photos then have breakfast while the files are finishing up and exporting.

Same with just about any event I shoot. Export, go to bed, wake up, first round of culling, break, second round of culling, break, process, export, go to work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you people wake up at 5am or something?
For short runs I just have a smoke break, for the longer stuff I just do something else. If you're smart about it you'll never wait more than a couple of minutes, but huge DNG imports are going to take ages no matter what you're running on. Switching to 64bit (OS + LR) helps a little, and so does having a bunch of fast cores.
I don't think LR2 offloads anything interesting to the GPU.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
You can shave a considerable amount of time off your wait by not saving 1:1 previews; that poo poo takes forever.

brad industry posted:

Smoking was great for stuff like this, I miss it so much. :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you people wake up at 5am or something?
For short runs I just have a smoke break, for the longer stuff I just do something else. If you're smart about it you'll never wait more than a couple of minutes, but huge DNG imports are going to take ages no matter what you're running on. Switching to 64bit (OS + LR) helps a little, and so does having a bunch of fast cores.

No, usually shooting a show means crawling into bed at around that time.

If it's just a few photos, it's not bad, but for an event shoot, you're potentially looking at several hundred shots. I don't exactly have a lightning-fast computer.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I'm probably going to head over to the ball drop in White Plains, usually a few thousand people turn up, maybe I can get a good photograph or two. Any advice on settings and such? I'm assuming it will be well lit, I'll try to keep the shutter as fast as possible to minimize shake but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

brad industry posted:

I had to upgrade my Core2Duo setup that was similar to an i7 when I went from 5D to 5D Mark II. The 22MP shots were killin the thing... especially when exporting to photoshop and back a lot too (though i think a lot of disk is also involved in that)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Tiny Fistpump posted:

I'm probably going to head over to the ball drop in White Plains, usually a few thousand people turn up, maybe I can get a good photograph or two. Any advice on settings and such? I'm assuming it will be well lit, I'll try to keep the shutter as fast as possible to minimize shake but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Are you using an slr? If so, which lenses do you have acces to?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

JaundiceDave posted:

Are you using an slr? If so, which lenses do you have acces to?

Yep DSLR, XSi, and just the kit lens.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tiny Fistpump posted:

Yep DSLR, XSi, and just the kit lens.

Look for railings and other solid objects you can set or brace the camera on, if you're not bringing a tripod.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Interrupting Moss posted:

Running Windows 7 64-Bit, and the LR 3 Beta.

What's that? I need a new video card to replace my 2 year old 8600GT? I better tell the wife you guys advised me to upgrade...

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Does anyone have a good, yet fairly basic, overview on the physics of lenses? I'm mostly looking for something that describes the way that light passes through the lens, how and why the interior layout of the groups matters, and the role the lens' focal length plays in all of this. Preferably something with handy diagrams.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Eutheria posted:

Does anyone have a good, yet fairly basic, overview on the physics of lenses? I'm mostly looking for something that describes the way that light passes through the lens, how and why the interior layout of the groups matters, and the role the lens' focal length plays in all of this. Preferably something with handy diagrams.

The wikipedia entry on optical lenses isn't enough to help with your homework?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

benisntfunny posted:

The wikipedia entry on optical lenses isn't enough to help with your homework?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)

It's helpful to a degree. But I'm looking for something more specific to camera lenses, rather than just lenses in general.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Click here for the full 750x414 image.

Katton
Jun 20, 2003

I heart ANFO
I just found a vivitar 285 which reads 8.1 volts across the contacts. Is it safe to use with a 500d? I realize it wont explode, but will it cause damage over the long term?

Ubergoat
Oct 5, 2004
Goat, the other white meat.

Eutheria posted:

You're going to have trouble finding anything that explains optics in serious depth without getting really mathy, since math is pretty central to modern optics design. This site: http://www.opticalres.com/gentle_introduction.html
has some good info, and references at the bottom. You can also try finding optics books at your local library.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eutheria posted:

It's helpful to a degree. But I'm looking for something more specific to camera lenses, rather than just lenses in general.

It's pretty god drat complicated, but try to find Nikon's 1001 Nights page for stories told by the actual lens designers. Also, fun fact, focal length is not actually what makes a lens "telephoto", but the presence of a telephoto group in it (regardless of focal length).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Katton posted:

I just found a vivitar 285 which reads 8.1 volts across the contacts. Is it safe to use with a 500d? I realize it wont explode, but will it cause damage over the long term?

No. under 6 volts only.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

SoundMonkey posted:

It's pretty god drat complicated, but try to find Nikon's 1001 Nights page for stories told by the actual lens designers. Also, fun fact, focal length is not actually what makes a lens "telephoto", but the presence of a telephoto group in it (regardless of focal length).

Or more simply, that the actual length of the lens is less that it's focal length.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Probably ben asked a thousand times already, but im getting an imac on monday (oh god cant wait) and dont know whether to go with what i know and get lightroom or try aperture.

What does everyone prefer?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Probably ben asked a thousand times already, but im getting an imac on monday (oh god cant wait) and dont know whether to go with what i know and get lightroom or try aperture.

I use Lightroom now after using Aperture initially.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

fronkpies posted:

...get lightroom or try aperture.

I like the projects tab in Aperture but prefer everything else about Lightroom.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

psylent posted:

Running Windows 7 64-Bit, and the LR 3 Beta.

What's that? I need a new video card to replace my 2 year old 8600GT? I better tell the wife you guys advised me to upgrade...

I've got pretty much the same setup as you and I think there could be something buggy with the beta because when I first installed it everything was great and very snappy but a couple weeks later it started to take forever to render. I went back to LR2 and it was snappy and responsive again. :iiam:

Caveats of beta software I suppose.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

fronkpies posted:

Aperture locks up your metadata and rating and poo poo in it's proprietary database so you should use LR.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm flying from Detroit Metro to Boston Logan on Thursday and taking my gear. DTW security is going to be on loving lockdown. I'll let y'all know how it went when I get in.

Well I'll be damned. I cruised through DTW and Logan security without so much as a "can I look at your bag, sir?" in either case. Color me shocked.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

fronkpies posted:

I started out in Lightroom on windows and switched to Aperture when I got a mac last year. The big thing for me was at the time in LR, if I wanted use a filter like noise ninja or what ever, I'd have to go into photoshop. In Aperture, filters don't require Photoshop. I've heard they've made it less painless in LR now a days, but I think most filters require that you have Photoshop installed. Probably not a big deal if you already own it.

I think the new LR 3 might be a bit better than the current Aperture 2, but we're due for Aperture 3 and who knows what's in store. One advantage is that LR will always have is that there is a lot of support material for it. You'll find a lot more books, websites, and goons using it than Aperture. I thought about switching back to LR but it'd be a lot easier to stick with the horse I got than trying to relearn everything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

Aperture locks up your metadata and rating and poo poo in it's proprietary database so you should use LR.

Haggins posted:

I thought about switching back to LR but it'd be a lot easier to stick with the horse I got than trying to relearn everything.
QED

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DJExile posted:

Well I'll be damned. I cruised through DTW and Logan security without so much as a "can I look at your bag, sir?" in either case. Color me shocked.

Perhaps they realised that if the bad guys were using exploding underpants, there's not much point in making a big deal about carried bags.

Though, that sounds too sensible for the TSA.

Haggins posted:

I started out in Lightroom on windows and switched to Aperture when I got a mac last year. The big thing for me was at the time in LR, if I wanted use a filter like noise ninja or what ever, I'd have to go into photoshop. In Aperture, filters don't require Photoshop. I've heard they've made it less painless in LR now a days, but I think most filters require that you have Photoshop installed. Probably not a big deal if you already own it.

I find that filters are easy to use in LR, without needing PS. The only one that I would need to load PS for was noise, and they have that in LR now - so I only really need PS for stitching panoramas.

I am a big fan of LR now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Perhaps they realised that if the bad guys were using exploding underpants, there's not much point in making a big deal about carried bags.

Though, that sounds too sensible for the TSA.

Entirely too sensible for them. Also for the curious, the bag I just got for it (Lowepro Computrekker AW) was loving fantastic on the trip.