Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Chickalicious posted:

Thanks for bringing unwanted drama in here. GTFO.

In other news Butterbean 2.0 Attempt 1 = FAIL :(

:( I'm sorry. :sympathy: I hope next month is your month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Chickalicious posted:

Thanks for bringing unwanted drama in here. GTFO.

In other news Butterbean 2.0 Attempt 1 = FAIL :(

Concurred, and sorry it didn't happen this month. Easier said than done, but try not to stress and keep it FUN!

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Azulita: Congratulations on the boy news :toot:

Chickalicious: Sorry it didn't work out this month :( Here's hoping for next month!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I have some horrible news. I got a EOB from my insurance company that said a claim made back in October was denied because I did not and do not have coverage.

Long story short: I got H1N1 and respiratory complications back in September. I was out sick for so long that I had to drop my classes. Since my insurance is through school, I thought I was alright since I had already paid my tuition and associated insurance premiums. Boy was I wrong. My school never paid United Health. Now I have one doctor visit I have to pay out of pocket for and now an ER visit, too. Since I have a gap in coverage until Jan. 14th, I'm going to have the dreaded "pre-existing" condition crap hanging over me.

My doctor specifically told me that I needed to duck out of school for the rest of the semester or else I would have more problems to deal with. Had I known that I would have to deal with this, I would have just taken F's. Even if I had taken a medical leave from school I still wouldn't have coverage. This is so wrong...

It looks like any plans my husband and I had for starting a family are going to have to be put on hold. I have no idea how we are going to pay for the ER visit and the next-day IUD removal. I was so sure I had insurance that I wasn't even worried about it. The only consolation I have is that I convinced my husband to drive me to the hospital (even if he had to carry me down three flights of stairs).

Also, congratulations you drat breeders :3:
Chickalicious, I'm rooting for you! Things will get better :)

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Clarification: he was going to call an ambulance, not that he wasn't going to get to me to the ER.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Question: If you have a few days of random spotting before starting your period, does that actually mark the beginning of your menstrual cycle, or does the opening of the blood gates count? Ever since I went over a month without my period, it's done this every time, and it's really annoying. I never had this problem before.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ma_NiC posted:

Question: If you have a few days of random spotting before starting your period, does that actually mark the beginning of your menstrual cycle, or does the opening of the blood gates count? Ever since I went over a month without my period, it's done this every time, and it's really annoying. I never had this problem before.

I use one of those charting programs and it doesn't start counting until the blood gates since spotting is marked differently.

My lady parts feel like they're doing all sorts of odd things. I should be getting my period this weekend or early next week though.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Alterian posted:

I use one of those charting programs and it doesn't start counting until the blood gates since spotting is marked differently.

My lady parts feel like they're doing all sorts of odd things. I should be getting my period this weekend or early next week though.

Thanks! Oh, the mysteries of woman :j:

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I got my period yesterday :( 23 day cycle, 8 day luteal phase. I started paying attention to the length of my cycles a little over a year ago and since then the shortest one was 20 days and the longest was 44. However, since we started trying to conceive I have only had short cycles. I also used to generally have a very heavy flow day the first and second days of my period, then it would get lighter with each following day with a total of 4 to 6 days (I wasn't charting so this is just from memory). However, since we started trying to conceive they have been very light for two days and then spotting for another two or three days. Yesterday was a very heavy day though, as was today, so I'm hoping that meant the lining built up more, which would be a good thing.

It's such an emotional roller-coaster each month with the anticipation, the hope, and then the disappointment. I'm trying my darnedest not to be so bummed about it every month but it doesn't work too well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

It's such an emotional roller-coaster each month with the anticipation, the hope, and then the disappointment. I'm trying my darnedest not to be so bummed about it every month but it doesn't work too well.

I know how you feel. We've been trying for a year now. I've been to the doctor and they did tests and she said there's nothing wrong with me and my husband has sperm so she has no idea why I'm not getting pregnant. I guess we're just really loving unlucky.

We've decided not to focus on it anymore. I'm not going to be tracking my temp and worrying because it just gets so taxing. I mean I know when I'm going to ovulate from my cervical mucous so I know when we should have sex, but we're not going to focus so much on it. We're going to focus on living a more healthy, less stressful lifestyle. Other than stress, we live pretty well, we eat and get exercise and all that, but we're going to work even harder at it and trying not to be stressed out over work and hopefully that'll help. If I'm still not pregnant by after summer then I'm going to go to the doctor again and see if there's anything else we can do that's not super expensive. If I'm not pregnant by christmas next year I think we're going to look into international adoption.

It sucks balls. I feel like I'm a failure since I can't do something that every living organism should be capable of doing. My husband is being a little unintentionally insensitive I think and it can hurt a bit. He's already looking at adoption agencies and wants us to start looking and applying now. I told him I want to wait a year. He says adopting takes so long we should start the process now. It just feels like he thinks its never going to happen so we should just give up. :smith:

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I don't know what your "boundaries" are, so to speak, Alterian, but IUI seems to be pretty successful in people with no real fertility barriers. You could just have a stubborn cervix. And I don't think IUI is all that expensive -- way cheaper than adoption, at any rate.

Forgive me for not remembering, but did your tests include an HSG?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

Forgive me for not remembering, but did your tests include an HSG?

They did a blood tests and an ultrasound where they stick the wand up in you shortly after I ovulated and everything looked good and my blood tests came back fine.

I'm not sure how much my health insurance would pay for infertility treatments if at all so I'm guessing everything would have to be out of pocket. I couldn't see us spending more than a couple thousand. We'd rather spend more money to adopt and have it be a sure thing than thousands and thousands on fertility treatments that may or may not work when there's babies out there that need a home.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Ask your doctor about an HSG and see if your insurance covers it. They inject dye in to your uterus and fallopian tubes through your cervix, and take a series of radiographic images that track the progress of the dye. Things like blocked fallopian tubes won't show up on an ultrasound. The process has also been known to unblock tubes and allow fertilization to take place (I have not 1, but 3 friends that this happened to). HSGs are becoming more and more routine these days, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if your insurance covered it.

It could also reveal a more serious problem. A friend of mine had an HSG done and it showed that her left fallopian tube was seriously deformed and starting to adhere to her intestines. She had to have the tube removed, and her doctor thinks it saved her from more serious complications down the line.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

Ask your doctor about an HSG and see if your insurance covers it. They inject dye in to your uterus and fallopian tubes through your cervix, and take a series of radiographic images that track the progress of the dye. Things like blocked fallopian tubes won't show up on an ultrasound. The process has also been known to unblock tubes and allow fertilization to take place (I have not 1, but 3 friends that this happened to). HSGs are becoming more and more routine these days, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if your insurance covered it.

It could also reveal a more serious problem. A friend of mine had an HSG done and it showed that her left fallopian tube was seriously deformed and starting to adhere to her intestines. She had to have the tube removed, and her doctor thinks it saved her from more serious complications down the line.

Oh yeah. I didn't know what the test was called. The doctor said that would be an option if I don't get pregnant but wanted to wait since it can be a bit uncomfortable.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Alterian, you're tracking your cervical mucous, which is great, but have you tried ovulation strips as well? I have heard before that some women have changes in their cervical mucous at times other than just when they are ovulating, so it could be possible that you're experiencing false positives on the ovulation front. I'd get a couple of month's worth of ovu strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com where they're cheap and try them out. The way I used them was to use one daily until the morning I noticed the faintest change in the second line, and then I began using them twice daily.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Alterian posted:

We've decided not to focus on it anymore. I'm not going to be tracking my temp and worrying because it just gets so taxing. I mean I know when I'm going to ovulate from my cervical mucous so I know when we should have sex, but we're not going to focus so much on it.

I think this is a good idea. I was stressing really badly about it, and focusing on it all the time, and it was just doing me no good whatsoever. I had been spending loads of money on taking pre-natals for 10 months, trying to prepare, and not drinking any alcohol at all. Then my husband and I moved house and went through a really stressful time trying to find somebody to take over our lease, and there were just so many things going on at the time that getting knocked up was totally not in my mind. I ended up running out of pre-natals (and didn't get more because I was sure nothing would happen) and had a few drinks and that is when I found out I was pregnant.

I honestly think that there is truth in the whole "it'll happen when you stop thinking about it" thing. I don't know why. But what you said about focusing on living a healthy lifestyle is, I think, a great idea. It is good to have another goal to focus your energy on, and to keep your mind busy. Just "not thinking about it" is waaaay easier said than done.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Okay so it looks like I'm coming back into this thread.

It looks like I might have had a blighted ovum - ie, cells never split and developed into a bub. Empty sac on the ultrasound at 6wks 6days, and bleeding at 7wks 3days, and again today 7wks 5days.

It's super heavy now, enough to soak through undies and shorts. Coincidentally my Ob called like 15mins later and said that it doesn't look good and that the hormone levels were very low.

Still gotta go for the ultrasound this week because he thinks I might have a fibroid but wants to make sure that's all it is, and that I'll probably have to have a d&c.

To be honest, I think I'd prefer a d&c than waiting up to a week or two to miscarry naturally. I just want it done and over with so I know for sure what's happening and so I can start again.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Good luck to all of you who are trying. I know that has to get frustrating after a while.

The husband and I had decided earlier in the year (after the mystery missing period back in September) to wait a few months to start trying, and we're at the point again where we are ready. Attempts were made earlier this month, so now I've just got to wait a few more days to find out if I'm pregnant or not. Waiting really sucks. I really wanted a glass of wine at Christmas and had to restrain myself. I just want to know, so I can either be really happy or get really drunk.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Alterian - I did IUI with this pregnancy, without insurance it would have been a few hundred dollars or so. The expensive part of IUI is the ovulation induction drugs, but those are optional and not everyone needs them.

Dishonesty- I'm really sorry to hear about the blighted ovum :( If I were in your shoes I would probably go with a D&C too. I had one once for a non-pregnancy reason, they are pretty unremarkable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

Alterian, you're tracking your cervical mucous, which is great, but have you tried ovulation strips as well?

Several months of it. My cycles are on the longer end, but they're pretty regular.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Ok, just wasn't sure based on your post. :-)

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Hi everyone! I have lurked in this thread for awhile now and figured I would introduce myself. My husband and I have been trying for our second child for a little over a year. My OB just prescribed Clomid. Does anyone have any experience with it? I am a little nervous about the elevated chance of multiples, and potential side effects. Also, it is kind of disenheartning to be treated for infertility.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I tried Clomid and sort of got pregnant on it :) Meaning, the side effects were so ghastly for me that I stopped after 3 cycles, but the stim effects carried over to my next cycle (sans side effects) and BAM pregnant, without even trying! The anti-estrogenic effects of the Clomid dried me up and kept my cervix closed up tight. I am anovulatory on my own, and it did help me ovulate, but I would have needed IUI in order to conceive while actively taking the medication. I didn't ovulate on 50mg, but did on 100mg.

A lot of people take it without the side effects I had, so don't let me scare you off it.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks, Pixi! I am going to try it and see how it goes--it is not that I would be scared off of trying it, I just want to hear about some experiences. I think I may be a little too neurotic about this whole thing:) It is difficult for me because when my we decided to have a kid I did one digital ovulation test (that I bought on the discount rack for $5), got a smiley face had sex once and pregnant. Now we have been testing and trying until I finally went to the doctor and to my surprise started crying. Add to that that I am 35 which has been drummed into my head as too old and to risky for pregnancy--I'm a mess:) Sometimes it is easier talking on the internet about this stuff, you know?

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Roxy, I know A LOT of women using Clomid, and I only know one friend who conceived twins. She's 20 weeks along (same as me) and the girls are doing really well. All of the other multiples moms I know used injectible medications or IVF.

35 is not too old to get pregnant, my mom had twin boys at 40. It was a healthy, uneventful pregnancy. They are well-adjusted if annoying 17 year olds.

I have primary infertility (well really I'm just "sub-fertile", I didn't need too much help) so I hang on infertility support boards I can recommend one if you are interested. The women are all normal (not all boards can say that).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

The anti-estrogenic effects of the Clomid dried me up and kept my cervix closed up tight.

This works for me at least, but drinking a cup of fresh squeezed grape fruit juice with my breakfast makes me a lot...ah...wetter. Its almost like I'm ready to go all the time!

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/grapefruit-juice-and-cervical-mucus/

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
You should also ask your doctor about Guaifenesin. I wasn't on Clomid, but I thought I was a bit low on CM, so I took it on my own. A lot of women who use Clomid use it in conjunction with the Guaifenesin (which is an active ingredient in over the cunter expectorants) to counteract the drying effects.

I found it made a big difference in the amount of CM I produced, and I got pregnant the first month we tried it. It also uh, noticeably thickened the consistency.

Something else I have read a lot of great things about (but haven't tried) is Pre-seed. It's a sperm safe lubricant (normal lube is bad stuff for conceiving) that mimics fertile CM. Take a look at the web page and the FAQ's, a lotta stuff there :)

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Tatiana posted:

Guaifenesin.

This is a common ingredient in many cough medicines. However, going to the pharmacy and asking for cough medicine with Guaifenesin in it will get you suspicious looks. The lady wouldn't help me, even when I explained the reason. Goddammit, it isn't as if I can make meth with it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tatiana posted:

(which is an active ingredient in over the cunter expectorants)

Aaahaha was this a purposeful typo?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Tatiana posted:

Something else I have read a lot of great things about (but haven't tried) is Pre-seed. It's a sperm safe lubricant (normal lube is bad stuff for conceiving) that mimics fertile CM. Take a look at the web page and the FAQ's, a lotta stuff there :)

Pre-seed is great stuff. We used it for the short period of time we were trying to get pregnant. It works like any other lube, but won't kill sperm.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Fire In The Disco posted:

Pre-seed is great stuff. We used it for the short period of time we were trying to get pregnant. It works like any other lube, but won't kill sperm.

Seconding this. It's pricey but totally worth it.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Just a quick update for those who care and then I'll stop with the depressing stuff!

So I went for the ultrasound yesterday, then straight to the Ob's office after. Half an hour later I'm in a hospital bed waiting to go to theatre.

Turns out it was an ectopic pregnancy. So he went in and removed the left tube and now I'm sore and sulking and blah.

I was expecting just to have a D&C to clean everything out, then a week or so later I'd be ready to start trying again - but this just sucks. Not only am I sore from surgery, but I have to wait 2 cycles now before I can try again :(

AND I only have one tube, so it may take twice as long to conceive, because the left ovary may ovulate but obviously I won't get that egg because of no tube.

BLAH!

Ok. End sulk... back to the happy stories!

(cross posted to Preg thread)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Oh, I'm so sorry, dishonesty. I've been thinking about you today and hoping for an update (I promise I'm not creepy). Don't feel like you need to put on a happy face for us or anyone really. This and the pregnancy thread have sort of been my only outlet outside of my husband. If anyone says different, punch 'em in the loving dick. Also, I can tell you I felt like I just wanted to die the first week or two after, but it gets better. There are still days that it sucks like hell, but it's exponentially less painful just three months later.

If you're in the facebook group, I'm pretty sure I'm the only Leslie there, if you want to talk.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Welp, took a test this morning and it came out positive! Eeeeh! So excited, but nervous and scared. Really scared.

jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
Okay; I'm sure this has been brought up within the many pages of this thread but here goes anyway.

I'm going to start trying to get pregnant this summer. I've quit smoking, I'm going to the doc for a complete physical and bloodwork. I'm trying to lose weight and eat better. What else should I be doing pre-conception to ensure a healthy pregnancy? I don't start taking prenatal vitamins till I'm trying right? I just want to get some thoughts from those of you trying.

Oh and I'm 34.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Start prenatals now. You should be taking them for 6 months prior to trying to get pregnant; for me, I took them for several years before getting pregnant. I just used them as a regular daily multivitamin.

Consider starting to track your fertility now, it might make things easier for you when you begin trying over the summer. Check out the bible of this thread, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility."

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Ma_NiC, YAY! Congrats!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Jcschick, I'd also start folic acid now. It is so important in preventing neural tube defects in babies that doctor's groups are starting to recommend that all women of childbearing age take it everyday until they are no longer of childbearing age.

I've known some women who stopped drinking 6 months pre-trying, but that seems a little extreme to me. Definitely lay off the meth though.

Ma_NiC - woohoo congrats!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Azulita posted:

Roxy, I know A LOT of women using Clomid, and I only know one friend who conceived twins. She's 20 weeks along (same as me) and the girls are doing really well. All of the other multiples moms I know used injectible medications or IVF.

35 is not too old to get pregnant, my mom had twin boys at 40. It was a healthy, uneventful pregnancy. They are well-adjusted if annoying 17 year olds.

I have primary infertility (well really I'm just "sub-fertile", I didn't need too much help) so I hang on infertility support boards I can recommend one if you are interested. The women are all normal (not all boards can say that).

Thanks, Azulita. I would like the name of that sane fertility board. I am not really the type to enjoy the sparkly banner, baby dust & baby dance stuff that I have seen on most boards.

I went in today for a progesterone test and will start the clomid next cycle. This has been a strange cycle for me. I got a postive LH surge on day ten that has continued through today-seven days. Who knows what the heck that means!? I am trying to be hopeful and just see what happens.

Thank you to everyone else who has replied re combating the "dryness" associated with clomid. I have started drinking grapefruit juice and have some guafenisen on standby.

Also, dishonesty, I am so sorry-take care of yourself. And congrats Ma_NiC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Guaifenesin, evening primrose oil, and grapefruit juice did nothing for me, unfortunately. I think I'm just a freak. I also got knocked up after having sex 3 days before ovulation and 5 days after, so my lady parts work in mysterious ways.

• Locked thread