Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Okay so I was talking to the program director of the digital audio arts degree I'm enrolled in about possibly utilizing Ableton Live 8 as the back-bone of the program as opposed to Ditigal Performer, Pro Tools and Max-MSP standalone. He said he's not too familiar with Ableton as a whole but is aware that Max for Live just came out, which sort of intrigued him a little bit but still he would prefer to work with Pro Tools and DP because "I don't know what kind of capability Live has for 5.1 or better surround sound applications in the real world and in our new surround sound studio."

I can understand his point of view; he's familiar with Pro Tools and Digital Performer as surround sound compatible DAWs and he knows that he can use them in the new surround sound oriented studio being built on-site (this is at the University of Lethbridge.) It's the Digital Audio Arts program's first year of implementation so there's a lot of opportunity to shape the future of the course RIGHT NOW, and most of the students enrolled right now would love to see something more than Pro Tools and DP, which is why I'm trying to push for the school to purchase Ableton Live 8 w/ Max for Live licenses.

After having watched the Beatles "Love" Cirque du Soleil/Gavin Whitely Ableton video and read the zoominfo article Rkelly posted I think I might have enough fodder to strongly present my case to the professor, but I'm wondering if there's anything else you guys might know about surround sound or other ground-breaking live applications of Ableton (that PT or DP might lack) in the real world that I could use to strengthen my argument. I tried to show one of the other professors some videos of Daft Punk's Alive 2007 tour but perhaps because of my raging fanboyism he didn't seem to grasp the role of Live as being anything revolutionary.

So I'm appealing to you guys once again for anything I can use to influence the faculty of the department of Digital Audio Arts and Music at the UofL beyond any shadow of a doubt of the virtues of Ableton Live in a real-world setting and why they should shell out a butt-load of our tuition money to pay for a license. Examples which place emphasis on surround sound studio-like applications would be more likely to sway their opinion favourably, as the new studio being built is the program director's pride and joy - the design of it was commissioned to same man who designed Danny Elfman's personal home studio (though his name eludes me and google isn't really helping...), so the program director has understandably been grinning ear-to-ear every day since construction began. I'm worried though that his pride may temporarily be blinding him from external student input, which is why I need a strong case to present or risk being brushed off entirely.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

colonp posted:

What does Max/MSP have that Max for Live doesn't?

I consider myself a very capable internet researcher and yet cannot find the answer the this question.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

colonp posted:

What does Max/MSP have that Max for Live doesn't?

Jitter? Maybe? It seems pretty full-featured to me...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Max 4 Live, http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/24/max-for-live-comes-with-some-strings-attached-for-creators/

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 8, 2014

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yeah reading that article has more or less convinced me to forget buying max by itself. It would be nice to be able to release my patches to work with the MAX standalone, but can't I just copy and paste my M4L patches into a 30-day max trial to do this?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

If you do that, tell me how you like it. I've been wanting to purchase Max for years (sooo over PD), but just could never justify it. That pricepoint is much more appealing.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Alright I'm having an issue with my Liveset. The last time I played out dblue Glitch crashed Live. This is obviously unacceptable but now Live crashes every time I try to remove an instance of Glitch from my set. I can't save. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

edit: Just tried it one more time using rightclick delete instead of the delete key and it worked. What the gently caress. Problem solved I guess.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 23, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm just trying out the demo of Ableton Live and it's so much fun. I'm not a DJ or a professional musician, but I sometimes make music for student films of my friends and also just like to record myself playing the electric guitar and keyboard and then mix it together. This seems so easy with Ableton, it's incredible.

Now, getting the Live version or the Suite would blow the bank at the moment, for a hobby like this, so what exactly is missing from the Intro version? Also, are the 7GB of loops, instruments and beats worth the extra $30 of the boxed version?

EDIT: I just found an online reseller near me that sells the boxed version at the same price as the download version on Ableton's website :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 24, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2014

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

colonp posted:

Intro vs 8. What's a scene?

A scene is a set of clips that are aligned horizontally in set view. If you look on the master track, there are play buttons on each row, and if you engage it, it will begin to play the corresponding clips in that horizontal row.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

colonp posted:

Intro vs 8. What's a scene?

Sucks that Intro doesn't support video import :( What do they mean by "External Instrument/Audio Effect devices (which are not supported as well)?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

FLX posted:

Sucks that Intro doesn't support video import :( What do they mean by "External Instrument/Audio Effect devices (which are not supported as well)?

External refers to real instruments captured via microphone or if you were to plug in a guitar to your audio interface, for example.
External effects would be the same...rack mounted effects units. Tangible things.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

k0konutz posted:

External refers to real instruments captured via microphone or if you were to plug in a guitar to your audio interface, for example.
External effects would be the same...rack mounted effects units. Tangible things.
Does this mean I couldn't connect and use a MIDI Keyboard Controller or record my electric guitar at all? This seems strange, because I thought that was what Ableton is all about.

EDIT /\ /\ /\ So those "devices" aren't real devices, but "Ableton Software Devices"?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

RivensBitch posted:

Yeah reading that article has more or less convinced me to forget buying max by itself. It would be nice to be able to release my patches to work with the MAX standalone, but can't I just copy and paste my M4L patches into a 30-day max trial to do this?

Are you eligible for a student discount for Max? Getting it and the MaxForLive crossgrade is only 50 bucks more than buying only MaxForLive.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Radical Cut posted:

Are you eligible for a student discount for Max? Getting it and the MaxForLive crossgrade is only 50 bucks more than buying only MaxForLive.

I am not a student. I sent in my wife's student ID from beautician college and the folks at cycling74 laughed at me. True story.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I have a dumb question.

I just ordered an APC40 and I'm currently stationed in Iraq. Will I have to buy a voltage converter to keep from frying the drat thing?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Vanmani 2 pages ago posted:

The APC40 comes with a switching power adapter that switches from 100V-240V. I am using one I imported from the US fine over here in Australia, just by using a $1 US to AUS plug adapter.

Should be fine unless they use a voltage outside of the range 100-240.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Vanmani posted:

Should be fine unless they use a voltage outside of the range 100-240.

Haha yeah I just noticed that post from two pages ago. Great thread.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

Radical Cut posted:

Does that work? That makes Max/MSP/Jitter and Max For Live total about $350.00, right? I just want to make sure before I order anything that I'm not gonna have to buy essentially two licenses to use Max...

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Does that work? That makes Max/MSP/Jitter and Max For Live total about $350.00, right? I just want to make sure before I order anything that I'm not gonna have to buy essentially two licenses to use Max...

It does, it's what I did. :)
Buy Max first, and use the license code you're given to get the discount for Max For Live.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Got another question concerning Ableton Intro. I found a USB-MIDI Keyboard controller that comes with Ableton Live Lite (which is even more basic than Intro) at a good price. On the Ableton website it says that Ableton Live LE users get a free copy of Intro (scroll down a bit to the black banner), but I wasn't able to figure out if LE == Lite. Has anybody tried this with their Lite copy?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Thank God for this:

quote:

Dear Ableton users,

Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.

Ableton values quality over innovation. Our engineers will stop whatever they are doing to fix a bug when they become aware of it. They must, however, rely on a process that prepares the incoming information and funnels it to them appropriately. Establishing and maintaining this process is the responsibility of management -- particularly us, Bernd and Gerhard -- and this is where things have gone wrong while we let our attention divert to ambitious new projects.

Our apologies also extend to both the Ableton developers and tech support colleagues because they want to be proud of software and service that users love.

We have now decided to:

suspend all development towards new features while the whole team joins forces to address the current issues. This effort is open ended and will result in a free Live 8 update;
make process changes to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

We hope this plan finds your understanding and agreement. We'd like to wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2010!

Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132761

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Free Live 8 update? Aren't all Live updates free?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yes, the important part is not "free Live 8 update", it's that they will "suspend all development towards new features" until the various bugs are sorted out.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

...wait, they're charging for the free update?

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Motherf...

Just recorded 2 mixes in Ableton live. The sound in was crystal clear, except when I was done and played it back. Crackling noises all over. Tried the exact same setup in Soundforge and voila, no crackles.

Anybody know the cause of this?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

ShoodZ posted:

Motherf...

Just recorded 2 mixes in Ableton live. The sound in was crystal clear, except when I was done and played it back. Crackling noises all over. Tried the exact same setup in Soundforge and voila, no crackles.

Anybody know the cause of this?

I have that problem sometimes when I use my POD X3 as an external USB soundcard. Rebooting fixes the problem for me.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Beginner question regarding djing / performance with ableton..

Ive been using my a soundcard jack for cue output when playing with my home desktop pc.. if i want to setup and play with my laptop whats the best solution for cue output?

A recording interface?
Or would obtaining a mixer be better.. how do they interface with ableton?

Im currently using a midi keyboard with controls to cue crossfade etc

thanks

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You can do it however you want. With a box with two outputs (really, just rca and a headphone), you can crossfade in ableton. With a box with 2 or more stereo outs, you can run it to a mixer and do you cueing and crossfading on the mixer. Its really what you want to do. The cheaper route would obviously be to mix in Ableton.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

ManoliIsFat posted:

You can do it however you want. With a box with two outputs (really, just rca and a headphone), you can crossfade in ableton. With a box with 2 or more stereo outs, you can run it to a mixer and do you cueing and crossfading on the mixer. Its really what you want to do. The cheaper route would obviously be to mix in Ableton.

Speaking of, has anyone played with this yet? http://www.jr.com/m--audio-mixer-audio-interface/pe/MIM_NRV10/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Got a quick super-newbie question here as well:

I tried to automate the "Device On" parameter of a reverb, which worked fine until I must have clicked something wrong and now "Device On" is greyed out and the automation doesn't do anything. What did I do and how can I revert it back?

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
i want to map certain buttons on my midi controllers to play specific notes/chords on the piano roll. do I have to make a separate midi clip for each desired note/chord and trigger them that way, or is there a way to map buttons directly to notes?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

FLX posted:

Got a quick super-newbie question here as well:

I tried to automate the "Device On" parameter of a reverb, which worked fine until I must have clicked something wrong and now "Device On" is greyed out and the automation doesn't do anything. What did I do and how can I revert it back?

hit f10
if you tweak a parameter that is automated, it'll basically override the automation and go into manual mode, hitting f10 will revert everything to whats scripted

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

mezzir posted:

hit f10
if you tweak a parameter that is automated, it'll basically override the automation and go into manual mode, hitting f10 will revert everything to whats scripted

there is also a little button next to the transport bar that says "revert to arrangement"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!