Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Centipeed posted:

As a minimalist, this is fantastic. I also have nothing but my computer on my desk. Doesn't that extra space make you want something else there, though? I couldn't fit much more than my computer on this desk, but you've got room for another monitor, at least!

Then again, that would probably block the view of the TV?

I used to have 2 20" LCDs and my Macbook on there, which took up considerably more space on the desk. When I got the 27" iMac, I retired the dubs, and moved the Macbook down between my couches. Keeping the Macbook down by the couches works out much better, because when I kept it on my desk, the only thing I would ever do is pick it up and sit on the couch with it.

If Apple ever releases 27" monitors that would match the iMac, I'll probably pick one up. I should be able to arrange them to not block my view of the TV.

I really hate clutter or feeling cramped, so the extra space doesn't bother me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
So I did some upgrading of my hardware this Christmas

Right next to that I have my servers and poo poo

Oh yeah, and what the hell is the matter with all 24" screens being 1920x1080 nowadays? I want my old timey 1920x1200 dammit!

para
Nov 30, 2006

Scuttle_SE posted:

Where did you get that futurama poster? Must have one..

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

para posted:

Where did you get that futurama poster? Must have one..

Uhm, some poster store here in town, doubt it would be that hard to find actually...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Scuttle_SE posted:

Oh yeah, and what the hell is the matter with all 24" screens being 1920x1080 nowadays? I want my old timey 1920x1200 dammit!
They were too expensive. Newegg currently has 24 x1200 LCDs. Two of them are under $300, half of them are over $500, many significantly. Of the 66 x1080 LCDs only 9 are more than $300 and only one is over $400. Just buy two x1080s.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Scuttle_SE posted:

1920x1080 is standard 1080p HD resolution.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

root beer posted:

1920x1080 is standard 1080p HD resolution.

1920 x 1200 is superior for everything other then watching movies

:colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stupid 16:9 standard is to blame

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Juriko posted:

At the time? It was cheaper than most equivalent desks elsewhere and built like a tank. In a nuclear holocaust the Jerkers will remain in tact, gain sentience, and carry the torch of humanity.

Now? I have no clue. It is a solid desk but the value is kind of gone.

I have one, and while they're not the end all be all of desks, they are exceptionally well designed and engineered. They're expandable, large but not huge, and can be broken back down to flat for transporting. Plus the desk bit is all kinds of solid and the shelves are great for just about anything.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

malefactor posted:

1920 x 1200 is superior for everything other then watching movies

:colbert:
And price. And 1920x1440 would have been superior to either of them, but it looks like 4:3 is going bye bye. You will be missed. :patriot: Hell, for my usage a 1900x1900 monitor would probably be the best.

Mu Zeta posted:

Stupid 16:9 standard is to blame
Expect if the prices are any indication the PC industry took the wrong path when they standard toying with those silly 16:10 monitors. If they had never existed you people wouldn't even know to rage about those x1080 LCDs and would be overjoyed about your cheap high resolution monitors. Same goes for those 5:4 LCDs. I still get in rage when I think how I had to run CRTs at the wrong 1280x1024 resolution because ATI's idiotic drivers didn't support the correct resolution.

I too have a 24" 1920x1200 LCD and I certainly appreciate the resolution, but it looks like a bloody stupid purchase when six months later I bought a 21.6" x1080 for well under half the price. I could have three of those monitors if I had just waited a bit. :argh: I use that x1080 just for showing black and white IRC screens, but it doesn't matter because it was so drat cheap.

If that vertical resolution really means so much to you then just buy one of those 2048x1152 or 2560x1600 LCDs and quit your whining.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cheaper is good, I just don't like how progress is losing screen real estate. I'll stick with my current 24" monitor for a while. I really don't like multi monitor set ups, so my next upgrade will have to be one of those 2560 x 1440 things.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Cheaper is good, I just don't like how progress is losing screen real estate. I'll stick with my current 24" monitor for a while. I really don't like multi monitor set ups, so my next upgrade will have to be one of those 2560 x 1440 things.
But it isn't really. 22" 1680x1050 LCDs are being replaced by the x1080 models and 24" x1200s by the 2048x1152s, which have a bit more real estate, just differently shaped. Unfortunately those have been slow to market.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

niss posted:

Is that the Cooler Master HAF, how do you like it? Ive been looking at cases for my next computer build and I'm in a toss up at the moment between the HAF and the Stacker 830. I currently have the previous model Stacker and really like it but I need to get another case for this build.

It's an Antec 900. :ssh:
I just happened to have dinked around with it a lot. (paint, toggle switches, some cable management stuff on the inside). I hate this case so much when I actually work with it, but it looks too cool for me to get rid of now.

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

SmirkingJack posted:

I still don't understand what is so amazing about the Jerker. Sure it looks like it will do the job, but I don't see anything that makes people go on and on about it.

What I really like about the Jerker is the incredible use of vertical space it allows (for renters especially, who generally can't punch holes in the wall to add shelves). Having a non-obtrusive and wildly useful hutch, combined with the solid build quality, good size, customizability, affordability, and flat transportability, made it a clear winner.

The Jerker wouldn't be talked about anymore if it actually had a comparable successor. The Frederik is similar in utility, but is smaller, feels much flimsier and has less hutch options, while the Galant is similar in sturdiness, but nowhere near as useful without a hutch, and much more expensive. It doesn't make sense why IKEA discontinued the Jerker.

punkrawk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 31, 2009

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Scuttle_SE posted:

Right next to that I have my servers and poo poo

Maximized Total Commander and a TechNet sucscription. Neerd.

and I spotted it so.. yeah.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Crowley posted:

Maximized Total Commander and a TechNet sucscription. Neerd.

and I spotted it so.. yeah.

There are people that don't use Total Commander? gently caress, I even bought it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Trapdoor posted:

There are people that don't use Total Commander? gently caress, I even bought it.

I prefer xplorer2

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Trapdoor posted:

I don't understand programs designed to replace Windows Explorer, primarily because I only use it to find and run files and programs.

Can you explain what you use it for that requires your purchase of a more advanced solution?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Centipeed posted:

I don't understand programs designed to replace Windows Explorer, primarily because I only use it to find and run files and programs.

Can you explain what you use it for that requires your purchase of a more advanced solution?

In short: Everything.

hibachi
Oct 3, 2006
chawks

Chill_Bebop posted:

Netbook not shown but usually sitting opposite the monitor. Im rocking a better chair now, thankfully.

Chill, where did you get this desk and how much? This next question is directed to anybody, where can I get a 5 ft wide glass top desk (no L-desk).. don't really care about anything else (maybe a keyboard tray in the middle) for around $100?

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries
Going to be working on this over the next few months. Right now pales in comparison to what I want

Terrybogard
Dec 29, 2009

hibachi posted:

Chill, where did you get this desk and how much? This next question is directed to anybody, where can I get a 5 ft wide glass top desk (no L-desk).. don't really care about anything else (maybe a keyboard tray in the middle) for around $100?

Value Village, or Goodwill. Had a friend who got lucky, though he was looking at 4ft.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Click here for the full 1162x778 image.

this thread made me go clean my room...?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Jackal posted:

Where did you get that frog drum thing? My friend has the exact same one, and I think he got his in Australia

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

SpartanIV posted:

Where did you get that frog drum thing? My friend has the exact same one, and I think he got his in Australia

I think it was a happy 21st Birthday present from me mum?

That and a 21 yr glenlivet :cheers:

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I got one for my brother from the Christmas German market in Birmingham UK. I think you can get them from pretty much any shop 'like that'.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Dr. Jackal posted:

Why do you have a keyboard to nowhere on your desk? Also why two mice?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Centipeed posted:

Why do you have a keyboard to nowhere on your desk? Also why two mice?

to go with the keyboard to nowhere.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Dr. Jackal posted:

This thread is also going to make you download synergy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3GHAruhAk

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

malefactor posted:

But if the second mouse is anything like the second keyboard, they're not actually being used. At least, that's what I understand "Goes nowhere" to mean.

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.
Before

After

I've been wanting to upgrade to a nice sized wide-screen for a long time now and after getting £45 worth of Amazon vouchers I managed to pick up the Samsung 2333SW for £126.
Then the next day they had knocked £20 off the price :gonk:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

cadex posted:

They might be able to give you a refund if you phone up and tell them that. As long as Amazon customer service is nice. I've never phoned them.

Also, that's a pretty sweet cat upgrade. How much did the BlackCat run you? I've been thinking about getting more cats, but some people are saying that it doesn't really have a noticeable effect on your computer's performance, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

cadex posted:

After

You got a black cat to go with the new monitor? :haw:

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Centipeed posted:

It's much easier to navigate using the keyboard with totalcmd

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

cadex posted:

Before

After

I've been wanting to upgrade to a nice sized wide-screen for a long time now and after getting £45 worth of Amazon vouchers I managed to pick up the Samsung 2333SW for £126.

Did you upgrade your cat?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My day-to-day workspace. Unfortunately I can't find a good spot for my spare 22" LCD, so I'm down to one monitor on my desktop until I get around to buying a two-way vertical stand or something like that.

The VoIP phone and AppleTV are probably both moving down in to the shelf with the old Dell laptop in the near future to make room for the TV to come over to a better viewing angle when at the computer.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Centipeed posted:

They might be able to give you a refund if you phone up and tell them that. As long as Amazon customer service is nice. I've never phoned them.

Also, that's a pretty sweet cat upgrade. How much did the BlackCat run you? I've been thinking about getting more cats, but some people are saying that it doesn't really have a noticeable effect on your computer's performance, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

I'm actually going to vouch for this. Amazon's customer service is a little slow on the draw sometimes, but they're FANTASTIC overall. I bought my girlfriend some headphones for christmas - which turned out to have a dead ear. So they sent me a new set, and refunded me the cost of the original one. They also gave me $6 towards shipping, and returned my customs payment of $9.75.

After everything, the headphones cost me -$3.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

malefactor posted:

I hooked up my wireless keyboard to nowhere and now it connects to the laptop.

the second set of mice and keyboard is for the server, the laptop and the server are both connected to the monitor (VGA,DVI). I thought about using synergy but since I have to chance the input mode for the Monitor anyways, I haven't installed it.

I also heard that synergy and game don't mix well(?) or something about acceleration eating something something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Dr. Jackal posted:

I hooked up my wireless keyboard to nowhere and now it connects to the laptop.

the second set of mice and keyboard is for the server, the laptop and the server are both connected to the monitor (VGA,DVI). I thought about using synergy but since I have to chance the input mode for the Monitor anyways, I haven't installed it.

I also heard that synergy and game don't mix well(?) or something about acceleration eating something something.

You might have problems with FPS games that grab the mouse, but I've had no problems (input, graphics, or otherwise) with games like WoW and Dragon Age. My guess is that you just wouldn't be able to get the mouse over to other screens, which kind of defeats the purpose. You just need to make sure to turn on the "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers" option so your game doesn't get minimized when moving between computers.