Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Always Shirtless posted:

yeah that warm water thing was really stupid, the best they could do is get his hand in it for 5 minutes and then spill it all over the bed? good job

I could hear the palpable relief in his voice that he hadn't just wet himself on national TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The warm water bowl pee myth was a tremendous failure and they shouldn't have bothered airing such a half assed attempt. Everything else was fine, even though the ear wax was more of a gross out, and the canon was not a good episode ending.

Have they ever talked about myths that they tried but never actually bothered to air?

I agree that the warm water one was really stupid and I don't know why they bothered. They hung around that place for what, four hours and only got someone to do it by just grabbing one of their peons who agreed to maybe pee themselves on national TV. It really seemed like the lob ball kind of myth they fob off on the other group.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like Adam mentioned a myth that wasn't aired for one reason or another during one of those lectures he gave. I might be wrong.

haveblue posted:

I could hear the palpable relief in his voice that he hadn't just wet himself on national TV.

But how was there two puddles? :colbert: In either case, trying successfully once, for five minutes on one person is just retarded, as is setting a two hour time limit. Just a terrible segment in just about every way imaginable.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Adam mentioned a myth that wasn't aired for one reason or another during one of those lectures he gave. I might be wrong.

Two of the ones I remember him talking about that didn't make it were:

-breaking security on credit card rfid chips
-exposing teeth whitening strips as ineffective

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The RFID one is the more popular. The way he described it, Tory almost shat himself.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Neito posted:

The RFID one is the more popular. The way he described it, Tory almost shat himself.

What happened with that? I remember them calling a credit card company and pretty much being told there's nothing to say and a vague threat to sue the pants off of them if they did it, but I don't remember the thing with Tory.

eeme
Oct 31, 2007

Whatever. Let's go get tacos.

TL posted:

What happened with that? I remember them calling a credit card company and pretty much being told there's nothing to say and a vague threat to sue the pants off of them if they did it, but I don't remember the thing with Tory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw

Tori tought he was calling Texas Instruments to ask some questions about RFID but ended up in a conference call with multiple credit card companies telling them to back off

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to say that they're really starting to stretch things now as far as myths. Really? Cartoon myths? Ugh.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I heard a long time ago they wanted to test Monster Cable and other audiophile stuff but Discovery told them to back off because it might scare off sponsors.

edit: upon further reflection it would probably make exceptionally boring television as well.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

qirex posted:

I heard a long time ago they wanted to test Monster Cable and other audiophile stuff but Discovery told them to back off because it might scare off sponsors.

edit: upon further reflection it would probably make exceptionally boring television as well.

A hi-fi magazine did that a couple of years ago with RCA-cables and funny enough the $2 generic cable came fifth out of 8 or 10. It was a blind listening test by audiophile professionals (~) who like to complain that cable X makes the music sound woody etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HUMAN FISH posted:

A hi-fi magazine did that a couple of years ago with RCA-cables and funny enough the $2 generic cable came fifth out of 8 or 10. It was a blind listening test by audiophile professionals (~) who like to complain that cable X makes the music sound woody etc.

How did the monster cables do? Who won?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

ToastyPotato posted:

Like I said, it was a couple of years ago. But the price range for a 60cm cable was from $2 to thousands of dollars.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToastyPotato posted:

Those tests always turn out that all cables of reasonable material quality and shielding sound perfect and indistinguishable, including the generic electrical wire from Ace Hardware.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I recall there being at least one article in which they said coat hangars performed just as well as Monster cables.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to say that they're really starting to stretch things now as far as myths. Really? Cartoon myths? Ugh.

What's wrong with cartoon physics? I thought it was neat when it turned out the gunpowder leaking out of a barrel thing would actually work.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Given how little ear wax some people had in their ears they should have done myths on how its insanely dangerous, stupid and useless it is to do candling or stick anything bigger than your elbow down your ear to clean them and how only physicians should clean your ears and only if you suffer a loss of hearing from the blockage.

I think Bullshit! may have briefly touched on candling but not much else. The whole idea of ear wax is disgusting to people and makes them go nuts trying to clean it, not realizing that your body develops and disposes of it in a natural process that doesn't need any help.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I always love when they do myths that could be confirmed by watching other Discovery shows. This time it was the lead dipping, which they showcased on Time Warp. Last one I recall was the catching of an arrow by hand, which they had done on an older show that I don't recall the name of (More than Human?)

Though I'd be willing to bet that with the way they're always parroting on about insurance for the duo that they didn't show the hiring of an expert to train and teach them behind the scenes, even if it's just to mollify the insurance needs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I guess he likes short careers that get you lots of money?

quote:

EUGENE, Ore. – Police say a man who appeared in the Discovery Channel show "Deadliest Catch" is wanted for three bank robberies in Oregon and has been arrested in Illinois.

Police in East Peoria, Ill., say they arrested 23-year-old Joshua Tel Warner early Thursday on the Oregon bank robbery warrant after a vehicle he was riding in was pulled over for a routine traffic stop. He was being held on $30,000 bail in the Tazewell County Jail.

Police in Eugene, Ore., say he is the same Josh Warner who appeared as a greenhorn deckhand on the king crab fishing boat Wizard in the "Deadliest Catch" earlier this year. The television reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the treacherous Bering Sea near Alaska.

The warrant charges Warner with one bank robbery in 2007 and two in 2009.

I guess we won't see him anymore.

Tapela
Dec 7, 2006
Oh poo poo that was the greenhorn who got into it with the captains brother after he got heckled for putting a picture of his girlfriend on the boat. I remember that season. I guess crab fishing didn't turn out well cause I'm pretty sure he got accepted near the end of the haul, no wonder he's not been around.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

This new "Solving History" show they've been promoting all day would be a lot more enticing to me if it was more than "Solving Mythology", from the sounds of it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Tapela posted:

Oh poo poo that was the greenhorn who got into it with the captains brother after he got heckled for putting a picture of his girlfriend on the boat. I remember that season. I guess crab fishing didn't turn out well cause I'm pretty sure he got accepted near the end of the haul, no wonder he's not been around.

He "quit" during the last season. The season before that Keith offered him a position as a deckhand. Not surprised, this kid was a real douchebag.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Caught tonight's Motor City Motors. They cut apart an ancient suburban to shove a cement mixer into it, put a catapult arm on the side, then put hydrolics on the thing so it could mash down the asphalt. It worked about as well as any sane person would expect it to.

All I can really take away is that one of them said "That's how Detroit does it!" and all I could think was "pointless, inefficient, stupidly designed, rushed, doesn't do what it was supposed to, overly expensive, likely to break down, could be done better by pretty much anyone with two brain cells to rub together... yep, that's how Detroit does it."

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's something really missing from Motor City Motors that doesn't put it on par with Monster Garage. Yes, both shows focus on making cars into things as far removed from cars as possible, but the ones on Monster Garage at least tended to look functional.

Even when they didn't make the cut, they sure had a hell of a way of going out.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

... Am I crazy for just now noticing that Jessie has a tattoo in her armpit?

EDIT: Also, were adam and tori wearing the same shirt?

Neito fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2010

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Neito posted:

... Am I crazy for just now noticing that Jessie has a tattoo in her armpit?

EDIT: Also, were adam and tori wearing the same shirt?

Yeah that really stood out for me too. I guess we've never seen her armpit before?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The in-lab tree experiments were a great example of why I prefer the build team. Grant nearly getting beaned with an action figure was hilarious, but it's exactly that sort of unexpected near-screwup that Adam and Jamie can no longer allow because if it happens with a car, a gun, or an explosion someone could have gotten seriously injured or killed.

And they had a bouncy castle :neckbeard:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I am totally a little kid about bouncy castles, and if it weren't for the combination of soda, fried food, candy, being lazy, and the fact that I'm 24, I'd totally go into ever bouncy castle I saw.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Well, Man VS Wild is back. In the latest episode, Bear gave himself a bird-poo poo tainted water enema. You go Bear.

I still can't help but watch, it's too drat entertaining.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Teek posted:

Well, Man VS Wild is back. In the latest episode, Bear gave himself a bird-poo poo tainted water enema. You go Bear.

I can't loving stand Bear. Something about him just screams douchey Bro to me. Les Stroud could out survive him any day. :colbert:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Les was just recently on an episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive (I think) showing how the person stuck in the bad place should have handled it. Did anyone see that? Was that something new? Since Survivorman stopped, I've only seen him in that Off the Grid special thing about the cabin he was building.

Edit: Apparently I Shouldn't Be Alive ended awhile back. One of the episodes was updated to include Les, apparently it's not something new. Drat.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 7, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spixxor posted:

I can't loving stand Bear. Something about him just screams douchey Bro to me. Les Stroud could out survive him any day. :colbert:

:negative: I have dragged all this camera equipment all this way, now I shall bitch about that for awhile, then complain about how much this sucks, and eat some grass.

:black101: Here's what happens when you jump in a volcanic sinkhole infested with scorpions and cobras and after that I'm going to eat some poop and maybe kill a tiger with my barebear hands and eat it's balls.

Bear wins.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

spixxor posted:

Bear would stalk and kill Les, make a shelter from his skin and eat the rest raw. Bear is 100% certified badass.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Eh. I still haven't gotten over the Man vs Best Western controversy from a couple years ago. I never feel like Bear's really in any danger.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Of course not, same with all the other Discovery shows involving well known hosts. Insurance throws a fit if Adam and Jamie, Mike Rowe or Bear get involved in something without some sort of safety help/mechanisms in place.

I think Les could get away with it since the show was essentially his baby.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Bah. Bear's a pussy who has to have a camera crew follow him around and gets to stuff his douchey Bro face every time the cameras shut off. For shame, Bear.

Anyone who tried to do what Bear does in order to survive out in the wilderness would be dead or maimed in hours. I guess you could take that as a compliment to the dude but I'd like to learn about things that won't kill me.

Also he eats too many snakes and for gently caress's sake you could kill them first you giant assfag, not just bite their heads off while they're still squirming and trying to get away.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Teek posted:

Of course not, same with all the other Discovery shows involving well known hosts. Insurance throws a fit if Adam and Jamie, Mike Rowe or Bear get involved in something without some sort of safety help/mechanisms in place.

Maybe danger was the wrong word. I think Discomfort works better, now that I think about it. Bear always just seems to comfortable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spixxor posted:

Anyone who tried to do what Bear does in order to survive out in the wilderness would be dead or maimed in hours. I guess you could take that as a compliment to the dude but I'd like to learn about things that won't kill me.

Also he eats too many snakes and for gently caress's sake you could kill them first you giant assfag, not just bite their heads off while they're still squirming and trying to get away.

Bear doing ridiculous poo poo is the point of Man vs Wild.

Neito posted:

Eh. I still haven't gotten over the Man vs Best Western controversy from a couple years ago. I never feel like Bear's really in any danger.

Neither was Les. He had a sat phone and several episodes actually had him getting rescued.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

Bear doing ridiculous poo poo is the point of Man vs Wild.

I'm fully aware of that and would fully enjoy it as such if he didn't act so drat obnoxious.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Teek posted:

To me, Man vs. Wild has dependably filled the void left after both The Crocodile Hunter and Jackass ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Teek posted:

Les Stroud created, produced, directed, shot, and wrote the theme song for his show through his own production company. I don't think Bear did that :v:

• Locked thread