Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Blind Rasputin posted:

After you beat Batman: Arkham Asylum , is there any way to make it so there are bad guys to fight while going around and collecting all the trophies you missed the first time? Like some random bad guy generator mod or something? If there isn't, then I probably won't bother getting all the trophies as its just too boring walking around in that empty place.

No, but the trophies are all pretty quick to get once everything is cleared out. I finished what I didn't get just playing the game in maybe 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Foxhound posted:

Someone posted about The Witcher before but didn't get a response.
I just picked up this game to, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but the amount of things to do seem overwhelming. What starting talents are good and should be picked first?

I just got to The Outskirts of the village, done/doing some small quests (barghest skulls, lighting fires and similar).
You get enough bronze medals to get every last bronze talent, so don't worry too much. Make sure you get herbalism asap though. It should be fairly obvious what the good upper talents are - get the stuff with +damage first. Knockdown and stun are also very powerful. The situational talents, like "when you're drunk you get stronger" are not very good. The only sign worth heavily investing in is Aard, unless you want a more magic-focused character.

If you need more money and are out of sidequests to do, you can make a lot of money by gambling over and over. It's not quick or enjoyable but your opponents never permanently run out of cash. Your primary money sink should be monster books (they let you harvest more ingredients from monsters), so save up for them.

There are no "wrong choices" you can make with the story so don't bother trying to powergame. It's more fun if you don't know what's going to happen, unintended consequences are a big theme in the game. Along these lines, make sure you finish whatever sidequests you want to in the village before going to fight the Beast.

The Beast is a very difficult fight if you aren't prepared. Make sure you brew up some specter oil for your sword before going in to fight him. Alchemy is inexpensive and hugely useful in this game. While you can probably get by without it if you really want to, it really is a core part of the gameplay and shouldn't be ignored.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 30, 2009

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Since the Modern Warfare 2 thread moves along at a pretty fast clip and mostly reads like Greek to me, I guess I'll ask this here. Having just picked it up (for the 360, to the extent it matters), and have not played any MP in Modern Warfare 1 (except back when the beta for that game was out), anything I should keep in mind as I'm starting out in the MP in Modern Warfare 2? What does this stuff about "prestige" mean?

Once you pass level 70, you get the option of starting again from level 1, with a new symbol next to your name every time you do it and new challenges which help with gaining xp, new titles and emblems and other cosmetic stuff. You won't ever get a gameplay advantage out of it, but if you enjoy the leveling up and unlocking stuff, earning challenges and getting titles and emblems aspect of the MP then you'll want to go prestige.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Since the Modern Warfare 2 thread moves along at a pretty fast clip and mostly reads like Greek to me, I guess I'll ask this here. Having just picked it up (for the 360, to the extent it matters), and have not played any MP in Modern Warfare 1 (except back when the beta for that game was out), anything I should keep in mind as I'm starting out in the MP in Modern Warfare 2? What does this stuff about "prestige" mean?

Prestige is just as the poster above said, all you do is reach the level cap, then you can opt to Prestige and you gain extra challenges/custom class slots and start from level 1 again.

Other things to know:
The M4 and SCAR are some of the best guns in the game, don't feel that you're missing anything if you use them all the time.

If you carry a care package and use the lightweight perk, you become Flash Gordon, and can run around knifing everyone and pissing them off. You keep the care package until you throw it, so you can keep running if you die.

An SMG (doesnt matter which one, I like the vector, myself), handgun (not machine pistol) and the perks Marathon, lightweight and commando make you an infinitely sprinting, super-fast knifing machine. People will be mad if you do this, but that's half the fun.

I haven't checked the console thread in quite a while, but the OP of the PC thread has information on how to hit a lot of important areas with a grenade launcher from across the map, if that's your thing.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Witcher stuff

Cheers for this. :)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just wanted to let you all know that Brimruk is doing a fantastic job in contributing to the Wiki. He was up to page 20 last time I checked, so if you're going to ask about a popular game, check there first, since it might already be up!

http://wsik.centipeed.com

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 2, 2010

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Centipeed posted:

Just wanted to let you all know that Brimruk is doing a fantastic job in contributing to the Wiki. He was up to page 20 last time I checked, so if you're going to ask about a popular game, check there first, since it might already be up!

http://www.centipeed.com/wsik

I know you guys don't get a ton of credit, but everyone involved in building this and contributing to this thread fully deserves all the kudos possible, seriously fantastic job and this is a useful as hell resource.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

casual poster posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? Everytime I did had to switch party members it was like a 5 min ordeal. gently caress.
Yet they removed that feature for FF8 or just removed everything from everyone a few times. Nice way of cheaply extending gameplay.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yet they removed that feature for FF8 or just removed everything from everyone a few times. Nice way of cheaply extending gameplay.

You could swap junctions in FF8. It's in the party select screen.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I was just checking the visitor stats for my site, and they had jumped quite a large amount. At first I was confused, but then I realised that since the Wiki is in a subdirectory, and not its own subdomain, the stats for WSIK get mixed in with the stats for my main site.

I'll try giving it a subdomain now and see if that fucks anything up.

Edit: The subdomain works fine. As does the old address. But for the sake of my statistics being accurate, if you could point your web browsers at wsik.centipeed.com, in the future, that would be fantastic!

ahobday fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey Centipeed i don't work three days in a row so I'll try to get back to the site when I've got some time to kill. It should be a lot easier to add stuff as more and more game specific pages have been made, maybe I'll alphabetize the list for easier browsing or something.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
When I was considering making this into a full-fledged website like the original JumptheShark.com, I thought about categorizing each bullet point, e.g. icons for things that could render the game unwinnable, missable items/quests/characters, recommendations to make the game easier, explanations of how the game works (like for God Hand or Unlimited Saga), and so on. That may be something to consider adding to the Wiki.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey Centipeed i don't work three days in a row so I'll try to get back to the site when I've got some time to kill. It should be a lot easier to add stuff as more and more game specific pages have been made, maybe I'll alphabetize the list for easier browsing or something.

The list has already been alphabetized, my friend!

Also, before you do any more pages I'd have to ask Brimruk to skip some so that you can do them, since he's still going strong as far as I know, and I'd hate for you guys to do the same work as each other!

CloseFriend posted:

When I was considering making this into a full-fledged website like the original JumptheShark.com, I thought about categorizing each bullet point, e.g. icons for things that could render the game unwinnable, missable items/quests/characters, recommendations to make the game easier, explanations of how the game works (like for God Hand or Unlimited Saga), and so on. That may be something to consider adding to the Wiki.

Hopefully I haven't hosed myself by choosing NOT to use MediaWiki for the website, since I'm not sure if there'd be an easy way to implement this (Graphically) on the software I'm using currently.

Edit: I spoke too soon. It turns out pmWiki has a pretty decent support for addons.

I've enabled Smileys, and added custom smileys, which can be seen in action on the Help page:

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/Help

I've also added these to the editing screen, so that when you're adding tips for a game you can just click the smiley icon and it'll be inserted into the text.

I took your four categories, CloseFriend, so thank you for the suggestion. If there are any more you can think of, let me know and I'll include them.

Hopefully the icons I threw together aren't too garish.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 31, 2009

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

(Metal Gear Solid 4)

SpazmasterX posted:

Use the Solid Eye as much as possible, and get friendly with the locals. They can keep enemies occupied as you stealth by. Also, you can get even stealthier by going completely flat on the ground (can't remember the button for this), and hiding in grass. Also, stay aware of your surroundings. Don't be afraid to go tranq crazy too. You'll get better with practice. Then you'll be able to throw on your iPod and rock out to your favorite tunes as you masterfully sneak by everything.

Will I be informed at some point as to how to "get friendly with the locals?"

Also I saw somewhere there are controls the manual makes literally zero mention of. Like shaking the controller to break your camo. Is there a reason for being able to do this? Any other 'hidden' controls I should know of?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Ledneh posted:

Will I be informed at some point as to how to "get friendly with the locals?"

Not specifically. But it's easy to tell them apart with the Solid Eye. You can walk up to them and give them rations to make them cooler with you, sometimes they give you stuff for them too. And as long as you don't kill any of them, they're more than happy to lay down cover fire in areas they're in while you sneak around. Don't worry if they spot you with a "?", they'll just be like "Oh, it's just you." when they see you.

They're also a good indicator that all the enemies in an area are dead, because they start to cheer and celebrate.

EDIT: As for turning off your camo, that's just something they probably put in so you can get rid of a camo you don't like in the middle of a cutscene.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Other things to know before playing MGS4

- Have something to do while it installs, especially the first one.
- Snakes ciggarettes actually have a use in this game, he has a stress meter that refills when he lights up. Plus he looks cool.
- Chaff grenades are extremely rare and valuable now
- Try messing with the D-pad during the games "intro". Also smoke pot before the intro starts.

edit:

Can anyone do one of these for me on MGS: Portable ops? So far I've only played the Peace Walker demo and I thought that was loving awesome, but I've read the controls in PO aren't as good, but then every review says it's a must have. I'll probably be buying it anyway if the playstation store and Media Go ever decide they actually want my money

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 31, 2009

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are some good tips for Crysis and Street Fighter IV.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

SF4's training mode isn't that useful other than practicing inputs (you can turn on a display of what buttons you're hitting in the menus). There's a fantastic rundown for every character's moves under challenge mode->normal trials but after about trial 3 don't feel like you need to go further.

There are a few secret characters; they're all unlocked by beating Arcade mode with different characters except for the three 'boss' characters. The first two are unlocked by being awesome at Arcade mode after unlocking all the other characters; the last is unlocked by beating arcade with everyone else.

Also, Seth is a cheap bastard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Just picked up Jade Empire from the Steam sale. Any tips or suggestion regarding the game?

General advice for every Bioware RPG ever:

Unless you're an RPG noob, crank the difficulty up a notch or two.

Examine everything.

Side quests = good.

Don't be neutral, choose good or evil early on and stick to it.

Talk to your companions a lot.

Specific advice for Jade Empire:

Don't spread your points around too much. Generally, you'll want one main damage style, one support, and one debuff. Transformation styles aren't too hot, except for Jade Golem, which is awesome but slow. Swords are OK, put points there if you enjoy it.

Companions are generally best in support mode, although the dual axe guy kicks axe. :ughh:

Talk to the goofy inventor companion a lot, and do his side quests. Don't leave the Imperial City until you've found out his secret.

Side quests = VERY good.

The annoying British guy (voiced by John Cleese) is VERY annoying, but gives you a unique weapon if you beat his annoying game.

The final choice, (to kill or poison the Water Dragon), gives you so many good or evil points that everything you did before becomes irrelevant.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gynovore posted:

The annoying British guy (voiced by John Cleese) is VERY annoying, but gives you a unique weapon if you beat his annoying game.
Annoying? That was literally the best part of the game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

On Crysis definitely use the suit hotkeys (an option in the menu), and it will suit you to get used to switching between them rapidly. There are really two ways to play. A) cloak everywhere and sneak attack until all hell breaks loose and kill everyone. or B) break all hell loose first by blowing up something big and tear apart everyone in the commotion (cloaked, of course). Use vehicles only when necessary. Get good with setting traps via explosives, especially in heavily forested areas. Nothing cuts down a squad of enemies trying to flank you like some C4 left in a bush.

I loved Crysis, and Crysis warhead was really great too. There are very few games that model environments so well, like the snow , I swear it actually made me feel a little cold when I played those parts.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Annoying? That was literally the best part of the game.

His acting was funny (I wonder if he wrote his own lines) but the minigame is tedious and the fight after is cheesy.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Could I get some advice for Stalker: Clear Skies? I've gotten the basics down and for the hour or so I've played it, it's been really fun. It's difficult, but I like that. However, my current saved game is hosed since my health is draining and I have no idea why. I'm not bleeding, not in radiation, and I cant see any indicators of what might be causing it. Also, are there any patches I should install?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I've just ordered the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii. I've never played any of the Prime games before. Does anyone have tips for the games in general, or the Wii versions of 1 & 2 in particular?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

warburg posted:

Could I get some advice for Stalker: Clear Skies? I've gotten the basics down and for the hour or so I've played it, it's been really fun. It's difficult, but I like that. However, my current saved game is hosed since my health is draining and I have no idea why. I'm not bleeding, not in radiation, and I cant see any indicators of what might be causing it. Also, are there any patches I should install?

You probably are bleeding, I remember having the same problem when I first played the game. First aid kits do nothing against bleeding, you need to use bandages to stop it.

Cash is actually hard to come by. Try out different guns before upgrading them, I dumped all my cash into a rifle that jammed every 5 shots.

Keep more than one save, the game is terribly bugged. Also there's a moment where you lose all your equipment and money. You can get back the equipment, but not the money. So make sure you'll spend it before venturing into that basement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Draile posted:

I've just ordered the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii. I've never played any of the Prime games before. Does anyone have tips for the games in general, or the Wii versions of 1 & 2 in particular?
There are a lot of things you can miss scanning. Enemies that only show up in an area for a limited amount of time, bosses that have sub-enemies that only appear there, or whatever. Understand that unless you know where to look for them, you will likely not get them all on your first go. And also understand that ultimately it is somewhat pointless to even scan 100% of everything anyways. It doesn't affect your ending, and as far as I can remember it just gets you some extra tokens to unlock extras.

So, ultimately, don't worry too much about scanning everything.

Other than that... I think that the best way to find pickups is to use your ears, as the distinct "whirring" sound that they make becomes pretty easy to pick out after a while. Also in MP1, the gameplay changes a bit when you reach the mines: it becomes more "FPS-like" in a way and the onslaught of enemies takes some players by surprise.

Also Power Bombs work on the Omega Pirate. Pretty much just MP1 advice so far, but that's because I can't remember anything off the top of my head that I would have liked to know beforehand before playing the other two. Other than the Boost Ball boss in MP2 being a total bitch to beat.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
What do I need to know about Armored Core 4 and Halo ODST?

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Just bought Castle Crashers since it was on special, anything I should know? Seems like there's a bit more in there than your typical beat em all.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

the Boost Ball boss in MP2 being a total bitch to beat.

Yeah this, had so many problems and so much frustration with this jerk. I don't think anyone will berate you if you decide to read a guide on that particular boss when (not if) you get stuck.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Cart posted:

Just bought Castle Crashers since it was on special, anything I should know? Seems like there's a bit more in there than your typical beat em all.

Your starting characters are identical except for the kind of magic they use. My vote for the best magic goes to the red knight, who uses lightning that stun locks and can instant-kill most regular monsters. The green knight does a lot of damage over time. The blue knight doesn't do a lot of damage but does disable enemies. The yellow knight is straight up damage, and in my view not as good as the red knight.

Other characters, including many of the bonus unlocks, have pretty weak magic and you should focus on their other attributes.

Unless you plan on making an archer, speed is the least important statistic; a few points is enough to make you as fast as you'll ever need to be. Defense is important for everyone although you can skimp on it if you don't mind using a lot of healing potions. Prioritize strength or magic based on how much you plan on casting spells.

Weapons don't make a tremendous difference to your stats and there isn't an overall "best" weapon, although some do give you better bonuses than others. Use weapons based on how you assigned your statistics.

Money is hard to come by at first but plentiful and totally useless later on, so you don't really need to grind bosses for money drops.

There's a familiar that increases your experience gain and it's probably the one you'll be using by default. But don't neglect your other familiars if you need some combat effect.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I had some questions about a tip from the Final Fantasy 9 wiki page. (http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/FinalFantasy9)

quote:

- The ATE thing is determined by following a fixed path you are currently heading. You can head back to the other path when you are done.

Can someone clarify what "heading back to the other path" entails? Sometimes I'll get two options for an active time event, and then once it's over I won't get the option to see the other scene, and I don't want to miss any.

Also, does anyone have any more tips which aren't on the wiki page? I just started playing FF9 (Never played it before), and I'd like to avoid any surprises.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took me awhile to understand the ATE and they operate by advancing to the next screen. If you have an ATE and got another one in the next screen that is related to the earlier one, you keep following that trail until it is completed. You can go back to where the other ATE branched off and follow the screens to finish that ATE.

Kupo Nuts are unimportant in the long term.

You can find items and Gil by randomly clicking places that don't even makes your character aware it exists. It also isn't very important in the long term.

Thievery gets stronger according to successful steals.

Kill dragons to make Dragon Crest powerful.

Catching frogs makes Frog Drop stronger.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Silentman0 posted:

What do I need to know about Armored Core 4?

AC4 is very, very different from previous games in the series. It's infinitely faster and requires quick fingers - there's no way you can soak up all the punishment the enemies are dealing, so learn to boost-dodge. Also, the default control setup with lock-on assists and such is pretty bad. Switch to advanced controls and reconfigure stuff until you find a layout that suits you.

Unlike previous AC games, you actually start out in a good mech that, with a little tweaking and upgrading over time, will see you through the entire campaign if you're not feeling very adventurous. I like the black, pointy high-agility one.

You'll be doing a lot of fighting in the air. Try to come up with a mech that can maintain flight for extended periods of time. You may have to cut down on weight.

Torso parts that can carry backup weapons are actually really useful for the longer missions. Chuck a pair of pistols in there for when your main guns run dry. Saved my neck more than a few times.

Nobody EVER manually set stabilizers. Just buy a bunch of random ones and let the auto-stabilizing system fit them.

Hard mode is a lot of fun - it actually changes the missions according to murphys law, so a simple mission where you ambush an enemy will turn into a fight for your life as the enemy has been informed and is waiting for you, and has called for backup that'll arrive soon on top of that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Silentman0 posted:

Halo ODST?

After the first couple flashbacks, it opens up and you can approach the remaining ones in any order. Just remember which ones you do because it doesn't remove them from your map screen and you can accidentally redo missions. Other than that, it's your normal Halo fare (except you can't jump as high.)

EDIT: Oh, and there's a special achievement you can get in each mission for doing something specific to that mission. Also, if you get all the Audio Logs a couple scenes change toward the end of the game.

EDIT2: Almost forgot, when you're walking around as the rookie you should pay attention to things around you. Sometimes a sign or something may change when you get near it. :ssh:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 2, 2010

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Draile posted:

Once you have the bombs, you can jump in morph ball mode by shaking the remote. I didn't find out about this until I was well into Prime 2.

Lordspam
Mar 20, 2007

curvy robot girlfriend
starting up Mass Effect for the first time. Anything I need to know?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Lordspam posted:

Here's all you need to know:

Shotguns own :)

P.S. Play as Soldier on the first runthrough first and get all the weapon achievements.

Happy Bear Suit fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 2, 2010

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lordspam posted:

Go with a hybrid class if possible, you want to do Wrex's Armor quest (just talk to him a lot) oh and have at least either yourself or a party member that can decrypt at all times.

Bill Curtis
Sep 14, 2004
Ask me about cheap Estonian sluts

Lordspam posted:

here's a bunch http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/MassEffect

Vanguard and Adept are fun classes, don't play a Soldier unless you really, REALLY like shooting things while your two buddies stand around being semi-useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Can anybody add to the wiki? I'm trying to add a new game to the list and it wants a password.