Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

How does WeaselWeaz know everything about everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sionistic posted:

Wasnt it that shannon moore had a few weeks of promos, and then punk just suddenly showed up in one, called him a poser, and they had a match next week?

Good God no, not at all. Punk got weeks and weeks of promos building him up, and he debuted at the Hammerstein Ballroom which was a guaranteed pop for him and made him look like a huge loving star even though he really wasn't anybody.

Shannon Moore was getting (serious) promos as the "Prince of Punk" when he appeared at a house show where the raucous fans (old school ECW fans were still coming to the shows at that time) were giving him poo poo, and he got on the microphone and told them,"I'm not here to impress the Internet." This was very poorly looked on backstage, up to that point Vince (at the time having a strong interest in ECW) had been a Moore supporter but that ended because he'd allowed himself to get worked up by the crowd and failed to come back at them effectively. The next week, his promo saw him acting more campy than before, and quoting Justin Timberlake instead of old school Punk music. CM Punk then walked up to him, called him a poser and slapped him upside the head.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

The next week, his promo saw him acting more campy than before, and quoting Justin Timberlake instead of old school Punk music.

I'd say flaming is a better word than campy. It was very exagerated and effeminate, and even if you didn't know the story you could watch it and tell the dude pissed someone off.

Hockles posted:

Maybe someday I'll get the respect I deserve by winning poster of the year. Or at least coming in second to Banjo.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Maybe someday I'll get the respect I deserve by winning poster of the year. Or at least coming in second to Banjo.
I voted for you last year :shobon:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That wasn't rhetorical, I am really interested as to how you are so knowledgeable.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when is the last time banjo has even posted

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

dusty udder smoker posted:

I think the Batista heel turn sent him over the edge.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=97956

Additional Info

Post Count
Post Rate
5.93 per day
Last Post
Aug 03, 2009 23:07

Hockles fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 31, 2009

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Hockles posted:

I think the Batista heel turn sent him over the edge.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=97956

Additional Info

Post Count
Post Rate
5.93 per day
Last Post
Aug 03, 2009 23:07

Banjo's probably incarcerated somewhere :smith:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Banjo can't post about WWE anymore because he is Bryan Danielson.

thorattack
Jul 30, 2002
random question:

any got a link to the john morrison video where he's like running on the beach and there's some weird rear end poetry being said and stuff?

need to show my roommate and i can't find it.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Banjo can't post about WWE anymore because he is Bryan Danielson.

Behold! Banjo Kaboom

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

thorattack posted:

random question:

any got a link to the john morrison video where he's like running on the beach and there's some weird rear end poetry being said and stuff?

need to show my roommate and i can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VyJVjrHbsg

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Hockles posted:

That wasn't rhetorical, I am really interested as to how you are so knowledgeable.

Reading the Wrestling Observer and listening to their sites interviews is usually the best way to get news (please don't start a stupid OMG Meltzer lies discussion, it's done to death and we know the arguments for and against). Sites repost some of or misquote Meltzer, so I reccomend just subscribing on-line if you really are interested. For learning how to work matches and be a wrestler, Secrets of the Ring with Raven is entertaining and educational. Of course, take his stories with a grain of salt and realize he doesn't he doesn't always practice what he preaches because he's lazy (to paraphrase Lance Storm). Also, I've watched the product for over 20 years. Wrestlers can say their "you don't know about working unless you've been in the ring" but it's bullshit. Film and art critics don't need to be directors, actors, painters, etc. to be good critics, coaches and commentators aren't always the best players, and even a general fan can tell you when a match is bad. They may not know why, but they can usually tell something is off.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Perdido posted:

EDIT: I wouldn't mind seeing this character (not necessarily O'Haire himself) square off against Punk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYEq63CyeQ&feature=related

Ugh gently caress don't make me make a CAW of him and fire up that story designer in SvR'10.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

dusty udder smoker posted:

I miss that crazy bastard.

Banjo amused the Hell out of me.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009
YAY CENA THE CHAMP IS HERE. YAY HHH THE GAME THE CEREBRAL ASSASSIN THE KING OF KINGS IS HERE. YAY BATISTA THE ANIMAL IS HERE.

I am Banjo.

(Think "I am Spartacus" without the actual seriousness).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Did Tommy Dreamer ever get a serious push on Raw or Smackdown? I was thinking about this, and I recall him having the hardcore title for a bit but that was it. I think he was even used as just a guy in the background in the Alliance.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

WeaselWeaz posted:

Did Tommy Dreamer ever get a serious push on Raw or Smackdown? I was thinking about this, and I recall him having the hardcore title for a bit but that was it. I think he was even used as just a guy in the background in the Alliance.

I remember seeing an awesome match live with him and RVD to unify the IC and Hardcore title :unsmith:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What does "Hackenschmidt screwed Hackenschmidt" (sp?) mean or where did it come from? Provided it's not just a saying you guys came up with.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Hockles posted:

He's the mole.

He suggested the poster for No Mercy 2007 to their heads of marketing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

What does "Hackenschmidt screwed Hackenschmidt" (sp?) mean or where did it come from? Provided it's not just a saying you guys came up with.

georg hackenshmidt was to drop the title to frank gotch in a 2/3 falls match, with him winning the first fall in a long match. instead, gotch shot on him and legit pinned him very quickly in both falls making him look bad (back in the 20s wrestling skill and ability still mattered and losing that fast killed your credibility). hackenshmidt retired shortly after.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
ignore.

Beaten.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

crankdatbatman posted:

Obviously from wikipedia

quote:

Hackenschmidt met Gotch again on 4 September 1911 at the newly opened Comiskey Park in Chicago, which drew a crowd of nearly 30,000 spectators and a record gate of $87,000. The rematch is one of the most controversial and talked about matches in wrestling history, as Hackenschmidt injured his knee in a training session with Ad Santel weeks before the match, and it was later alleged that Gotch had paid off Santel to ensure that Hackenschmidt was not at 100% condition for the rematch. The injury was so severe that Hackenschmidt nearly withdrew from the match, but agreed to go on with the match only after Gotch had fabricated the claim that he also had an injury (his neck), but was still willing to compete regardless. Before the match, the two had allegedly agreed on Gotch winning the match, but under the condition that Gotch lost the first fall so that Hackenschmidt would look strong in defeat. Despite their agreement before the match, Gotch ended up double-crossing Hackenschmidt by quickly defeating him in two straight falls. Hackenschmidt retired shortly after, due to recurring injuries.

Hackenschmidt screwed Hackenschmidt is a play on Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart that came in the fallout of the Montreal Screwjob.

edit: I don't care if I was beaten :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Here's the CM Punk - Shannon Moore promo that was talked about earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egm5qOxo1vE

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

WeaselWeaz posted:

He had a gimmick as a guy who eats gross stuff for a while, and he threw up in a bucket and drank The Undertaker's spit. That's the most attention I remember him getting.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

WeaselWeaz posted:

Reports are that it's a combination of getting passed over to run the company, wanting to make it on his own, Vince took over the WWF at his age), and a blow-up that happened between him and Vince.

The wanting to make it own is considered a major part of it. Shane had tried to get Vince to buy UFC and Pride and let him run those businesses, and Vince said no. Before ECW went bankrupt there were serious discussions for Vince to buy that company and let Shane run it, but Vince took WWE's accountants advice that it would be cheaper to let ECW declare bankrupcy and then buy it. He was originally supposed to run revivals of WCW and ECW as seperate entities, but each time Vince decided at the last minute to keep them in WWE (meaning him and Steph run them). The argument Vince and Shane had, and whatever they discussed, may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. Hell, Raven says that back in the mid 90s when he was in the WWF as Johnny Polo, a producer, and Shane's friend that Shane thought him and Raven would be the Vince and Pat Patterson of their generation.

It's also worth noting that there's a parallel between him and Vince here. At 37, Vince took over the WWF from his father. He could have kept it as a successful, but regional, promotion and been remembered as Junior, the son of one of the biggest promoters in the country. Instead, he decided to prove himself and be remembered for his own accomplishments. Shane isn't considered as driven as Vince was (partially because Vince is an obsessive workaholic), but there's a thought that at 39 he realizes he'll be remembered as Vince's son and, like Vince, wants to make his name. The other interpretation of this is that, if successful, he could come back to WWE respected and inherit the company.

The MMA rumor is pretty vauge right now. All that's known is he's a fan of UFC (not MMA), and he met with Dana White and the Fertittas. Carl DiMarco, former head of WWE Canada and Shane's friend, also met with UFC but ended up working in the Canadian tech industry. The idea has been presented by some that Shane will either work for UFC helping with international expansion or buy into Strikeforce (he can't afford UFC), but it's unfounded gossip right now.

The issue is discussed very well on a Wrestling Observer Radio interview with Paul Heyman, if you subscribe to the Observer/Figure Four.

Wow, thanks for answering so well! :)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

I dunno if this was a push, but he was very visible for a few weeks/months on RAW as "guy who does gross things."

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Atticus Finch posted:

I dunno if this was a push, but he was very visible for a few weeks/months on RAW as "guy who does gross things."

If I remember tonight, the first Jackass movie was out around this time, and I have a vague recollection of the IWC referring to him as "Tommy Knoxville" around this point.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Has a screwjob ever come out to a positive situation for the guy getting screwed?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Matlock posted:

Has a screwjob ever come out to a positive situation for the guy getting screwed?

You mean the many fake screwjobs that gets thrown out every time the WWE holds a major event in Canada or real screwjobs?

Piggybacking off this question: How many real screwjobs have their been in major promotions? I can only recall one and that's Montreal.

By screwjob I am limiting it to things going "off script" with support from the head of the promotion or someone like that.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 2, 2010

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Judakel posted:

By screwjob I am limiting it to things going "off script" with support from the head of the promotion or someone like that.

There's Russo allegedly turning a worked promo into a shoot on Hogan in WCW - although I'm not sure who ended up screwed out of that, maybe the fans?

Here's my question - why the hell did Hogan come out clean shaven for a period in WCW?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That wasn't a shoot, he just got too personal for Hogan's liking

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Jagtpanther posted:

Here's my question - why the hell did Hogan come out clean shaven for a period in WCW?

Dungeon of Doom beat him up and shaved him (and conveniently shaved it into a Hitler 'stache before finishing it)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jagtpanther posted:

It was after the Dungeon of Doom beat the poo poo out of him and shaved off his mustache.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Judakel posted:

You mean the many fake screwjobs that gets thrown out every time the WWE holds a major event in Canada or real screwjobs?

Piggybacking off this question: How many real screwjobs have their been in major promotions? I can only recall one and that's Montreal.

Wendi Richter got screwed by Vince McMahon in very much the same way as Montreal in the 80s with Moolah playing the role of HBK.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow at Heatwave 98

Tajiri vs Psicosis

Any Tajiri vs Super Crazy match

Born to Be Wired is good for what it was.

The triple threat and resulting Title match from Barely Legal

RVD vs Jerry Lynn

And the Dreamer vs C.W. Anderson I Quit match from the last PPV is quite good as well.

And Dudleys vs Balls Mahoney and Spike Dudley was an awesome hardcore match even before the flaming table spot.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone remember a wrestling spin-off on the Nickleodian channel?

It was Schiavone and Ventura commentating kids remote controlled car races? It lasted all of one week, there was a pilot then it was never spoken of again.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Did Mick Foley leave WWE on good terms?

Why did WWE let him go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

Did Mick Foley leave WWE on good terms?

Why did WWE let him go?

Foley's contract ran out. Vince was pretty mad at Foley when he wanted to go to TNA in 2005 and doubled the offer to prevent that. I'm guessing he isn't their favorite person but they'd work with him again after TNA.