Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Exadus posted:

Is there a point in using Ableton if I don't have a Midi controller or any other real interface other than my mouse and keyboard? Or should I just go try something with Reason or Logic?

I cant see why not. You can still automate parameters by hand with envelopes and whatnot.

Also I just grabbed Rebirth and installed it again. Holy poo poo its fun, im back in 1996 again. Yoozer can you put up a waveform comparison? I assume you have a 303.

For the uninitiated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBirth_RB-338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Exadus posted:

Is there a point in using Ableton if I don't have a Midi controller or any other real interface other than my mouse and keyboard?

With VST plugins, your keyboard is turned into a piano keyboard, though it's crummy. On the other hand, if all you do is trigger samples; each key of the keyboard can be assigned (in Session mode, for instance) to trigger something.

So yes, there is - but it's not nice. For just keyboard and mouse, FL Studio or a tracker (Renoise) is more pleasant. On the other hand, even cheap-rear end MIDI keyboards can function as controllers and there's almost always a cheap M-Audio Keystation 49 or something in the classifieds for a few bucks. Any synth or keyboard with MIDI will do (except for a Yamaha DJX II); just add a 1x1 E-mu Xmidi ($30 or something) and you're good to go.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Yoozer can you put up a waveform comparison? I assume you have a 303.
I don't. There's no legendary pieces in my setup :(.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 3, 2010

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I would get her SO pregnant :catholic: :ohdear:
Another question. If I'm going to for electronica and trance music, is Logic or ProTools going to really give me any advantage over Ableton as a workshop, not as a tool I can use to DJ live?

Is it possible to ReWire Ableton in to Pro Tools somehow for mastering and mixing, or is there no point?

EDIT: I found an old Casio CTK-551 is the attic, yet I don't see anyway how I can use it as a MIDI controller. I can't find any way how I can connect it to my PC, though.

EDIT2: I found two MIDI in and out ports. Guess I'l have to find a cable like that.

Exadus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 3, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Logic is certainly far more advanced than Live, but not as easy to get into - or as quick to get around in. To use a (perhaps retarded) car analogy, Live might be a Mazda Miata, or a Lotus Exige. Logic is more of a high tech modern Mercedes S Class. (God, I already regret typing that) Live is also more stable than most other programs, but does tend to be abit more CPU heavy.

Anyway, as for ProTools, while it is certainly the king of recording software; as a midi production platform it falls short of Logic and Cubase - who have specialized in this for the last 2 decades.

If you are just getting into this, I say go Live. Its ease of use and intuitive workflow will help you alot when you're starting out.

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

Logic is certainly far more advanced than Live, but not as easy to get into - or as quick to get around in. To use a (perhaps retarded) car analogy, Live might be a Mazda Miata, or a Lotus Exige. Logic is more of a high tech modern Mercedes S Class. (God, I already regret typing that) Live is also more stable than most other programs, but does tend to be abit more CPU heavy.

Anyway, as for ProTools, while it is certainly the king of recording software; as a midi production platform it falls short of Logic and Cubase - who have specialized in this for the last 2 decades.

If you are just getting into this, I say go Live. Its ease of use and intuitive workflow will help you alot when you're starting out.

Right, thanks.

Alright, I have one more FNG question. When I'm working with the Piano roll on Live, even if I have a BPM of around 120, the synth poo poo that I try to do is a bit too fast. It only reaches the speed I want it to have If I set the Live BPM to around 40, which would rear end-rape the rest of the song and probably cause even more problems down the road.

The one I'm using is some MIDI synth - a trance preset.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Exadus posted:

Right, thanks.

There's also the advantage of having a fully functional demo (it even saves) of Live off the website so you can check it out in detail. Take your time for it. Also, you can get a neat discount if you buy a controller that has Live Lite (or Intro, or whatever they call it now) with it; upgrading to the full version saves you a pretty amount of cash. For both ProTools and Logic, you'll have to go to the music store.

quote:

It only reaches the speed I want it to have If I set the Live BPM to around 40, which would rear end-rape the rest of the song and probably cause even more problems down the road.
You mention Logic, which means that you're running OS X, which means that Core Audio should be enabled in Live's settings. If that's not the case and you were daydreaming about having a Mac for music and you're working with a PC, get ASIO4ALL and make sure it's selected. What you describe sounds like a latency issue where it takes half a second for a sound to even play.

quote:

The one I'm using is some MIDI synth - a trance preset.
If it -is- a latency issue, the solution is simple: set your track back to 120 bpm, right click on the track and choose "Freeze". That renders it quickly to audio, and it'll sound good; use that until you get a proper soundcard or your settings figured out properly.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

this needs to be posted here as well. if for nothing else, a nice lesson in sample manipulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

Has anyone seen any videos like this for other songs?

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Anyone have any catchall mastering/EQ tips for dance music? I want my kicks to punch through everything (trill rear end what do you do to get the drums sound they way they do in your stuff, it's always awesome), but mine always sound weak and secondary. I use reason rewired through the Ableton mixer.

bog savant fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 4, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Cut everything except bassline and kick at around 1-200 (highpass), cut a hole for the kick in the bassline. Typically 50-90. (you can boost 50 for some extra cojones, and 1000 for top presence. Always boost carefully, never more than absolutely needed. Cut thin, boost wide)

Low end needs to be clean to sound tight. Bass and kick needs to operate there with as little intrusion as possible. Bassline can regain some punch with a tiny 200 boost. I very often cut both at 40 (highpass), this is also a way to see if you have phasing issues and whatnot.

Take care in selecting sounds. Deep bass thin kick, deep kick thin bass. Most drum samplers/players should have a sample release parameter, adjust this to taste.

Lately I have become quite fond of cutting kicks at 400, as well as slamming every drumtrack into a groupchannel with a -4/-4 limiter. Sometimes also dropping a room verb onto the grouptrack, 100% wet short decay/size, bounce audio, copy to track, cut this at 200 (highpass) and fade volume from 0 and up until it sounds good. This doesnt always work though. Yes, a send can do this, but you get some cool options with a seperate wet track.

Audio Example

edit: specified filter types.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 4, 2010

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i dont know what he is talking about, but i use sidechain compression.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

trill rear end posted:

Yeah usually this with varying depth depending on the style you're going for

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

trill rear end posted:

I usually use a combination of both (EQ out a notch for the kick, then sidechain).

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Sidechain FTW.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What software is netbook friendly and compatible with the Korg nano series? Ableton just needs too many resources to use on the netbook, and I'd rather not waste my second install on it.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to mess around with when I've just got my netbook with me.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 8, 2014

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I always do sidechain my stuff, I likely just have to get better at punching frequency holes for things. Also, get better samples (or create them, though I don't really have the know-how to sculpt a drum sound).

Another question: What do you all use for distortion? All my stuff is heavily distorted and mangled, and i'm getting kind of tired of always using the Scream 4.

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I'm going to ask the biggest FNG question out there.

Is there any site, at all, that can offer more direct advice to a beginner? Perhaps, a lesson plan, or something? To be honest, I've been fooling around with Ableton, and I haven't even tried making a song yet, because, to be honest, I don't know all the toddle-thingies and such.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The best thing you'll get are the tutorials and the manual. Ableton at least has nice Youtube videos up and a sizable community once you start knowing your way around. Live really has a lot of great options for beginners. Just going into the software and messing around at first is the best bet. It has pretty good tooltips that explain everything for you, too.

The thing is -- I know tons of people who competently know their way around Live and some even more so. But they've never written a song. Why? It takes work and some musical know-how. I see too many people making 1-2 minute "songs" that sound good but they're just too lazy when it's all said and done.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I just picked up the Tom Cosm DVDs and they are really quite good.

The first hour (of 10) is free right here.

http://www.musictechtutorials.com/electronic-music-tutorial-how-to-write-beats/

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

No. 9 posted:

The thing is -- I know tons of people who competently know their way around Live and some even more so. But they've never written a song. Why? It takes work and some musical know-how. I see too many people making 1-2 minute "songs" that sound good but they're just too lazy when it's all said and done.

That's meeee!

I'm getting ready to start making songs man. I'll start when I'm ready.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Can anyone recommend a food place to get samples of sounds like water droplets/metallic noises/icy-cave sounding stuff? Or how I can go about making them in a synth? They are my favorite kinds of sounds to play around with, but I'm still new to this so I don't really know any good resources

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I posted this in the Ableton thread, but I'll post it again in here.

If you're learning Live, get Live 8 Power.

I know it's a book that you actually have to hold and read (How quaint! It's made of paper!), but it's a better way to properly learn the software then just randomly picking up pieces of knowledge from forums and YouTube.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

jonmitz posted:

Can anyone recommend a food place to get samples of sounds like water droplets/metallic noises/icy-cave sounding stuff? Or how I can go about making them in a synth? They are my favorite kinds of sounds to play around with, but I'm still new to this so I don't really know any good resources
FM synthesis is what you're looking for. This is a decent video explaining the concepts. If you're using Albeton then you're all set, Operator is perfect for what you're looking to do.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

FM synthesis is what you're looking for. This is a decent video explaining the concepts. If you're using Albeton then you're all set, Operator is perfect for what you're looking to do.

Where are are part 2, 3 and 4?

Any other parts at all?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Rkelly posted:

Where are are part 2, 3 and 4?

Any other parts at all?
They haven't been made. That one video lays out the core concepts, though.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 6, 2010

Apr 24, 2008

Sorry, I know this has probably been covered a few times but can anyone recommend me an audio interface or give me some pointers on good brands/price points?

It's a replacement for my Tascam US1122L in my home setup, recording mainly from synths and drum machines. I'm only after the basic functions really but I need at least four inputs. The software it comes with doesn't matter cos I've already got cubase. Usability, support and stable drivers/firmware are probably the biggest draws for me. I'm hoping to spend a grand at most but I'll try to get a good deal shopping around on ebay.

I'm having a look at the MOTU 828 mk1 and I can't see any major issues with it.
Any ideas?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

6025 posted:

Usability, support and stable drivers/firmware are probably the biggest draws for me.

Try an RME Fireface 400, or if you want PCI, the "older" Multiface II.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

PCs have firewire ports, but what specifically are you looking to get the interface for? Just for djing, just for running one mixer in to? You've gotta consider how many inputs you're gonna need, what type of inputs (will rcas be fine? are you gonna need a bunch of xlrs for mics?) I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the devices you start looking at picking up are USB.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Volvagia posted:

Another question: What do you all use for distortion? All my stuff is heavily distorted and mangled, and i'm getting kind of tired of always using the Scream 4.

Ohmicide. Run, don't walk, to the Ohm store and buy it. I promise you will not regret your decision.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Volvagia posted:

Another question: What do you all use for distortion?

This: http://d16.pl/index.php?menu=183

It's awesome.

Exadus posted:

I've been fooling around with Ableton, and I haven't even tried making a song yet, because, to be honest, I don't know all the toddle-thingies and such.

Watch : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVfYa05Tp-8

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

that made me smile ear to ear :)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

THIS IS CREATIVITY!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I had no idea those servo's were so fast, or precise

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

wat

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

colonp posted:

Also it'll be a laptop. I have no clue about firewire. Is it standard on most laptops? How much better is it than USB?

A couple of things about firewire:

- there are two types of firewire connector, 4-pin and 6-pin. The difference is that 6-pin connectors provide power over the bus, while 4-pin firewire requires the device to provide its own (AC) power. Typically PC laptops have 4-pin connectors, while Macbooks have 6-pin (though some of the newer (non-pro) Macbooks have no built in firewire period). There are also PC card (PCMCIA) firewire adapters.

- the firewire spec does not have a well-defined standard for buffering realtime IO, which of course is a big part of what an audio interface does. Firewire audio interfaces will behave most reliably with a firewire interface with a TI chipset, so look for the TI chipset.

- firewire 400 has a moderately better bandwidth than USB 2.0 (FW is 400 megabits per second, while I think USB peaks out at something like 320 mb/sec for raw data transfer). Firewire is also much less CPU intensive compared to USB (much more of the workload is handled by the device itself), which is one of the big benefits of fw.

A USB interface is probably okay if you never plan on recording more than a couple of tracks simultaneously, but if you plan on working with more than that (say, recording a whole band, or a drum kit with multiple mics), then firewire is definitely the way to go.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mezzir posted:

wat
yessss

The part with the heavier beat needs to keep going longer! It's too short!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Here's a sneaky peeky at the first Liquid track a friend and I are working on. His DJ experience and my fiddling about with knobs (no gay jokes) experience should combine to make something awesome.

• Locked thread