Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

I can only seem to google up advice on how to make cout round a double. I actually want to stop it from rounding my doubles. Whenever I try to:

code:
double dbl_VAR = 29.99;
cout << dbl_VAR;
it will always print it out as '30' when I run the program. The only helpful looking link I found dealt with cout.precision(2). I tried using that but it did not work as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
http://codepad.org/VKjKmHNl

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Subway Ninja posted:

I can only seem to google up advice on how to make cout round a double. I actually want to stop it from rounding my doubles. Whenever I try to:

code:
double dbl_VAR = 29.99;
cout << dbl_VAR;
it will always print it out as '30' when I run the program. The only helpful looking link I found dealt with cout.precision(2). I tried using that but it did not work as planned.

code:
ari@feanor:~$ cat what.cpp 
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
  double d = 29.99;
  std::cout << d << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
ari@feanor:~$ make what
g++     what.cpp   -o what
ari@feanor:~$ ./what 
:confused:

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure there's a valid reason that I've yet to learn for this behavior, but as a newbie this seems counter intuitive.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Subway Ninja posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure there's a valid reason that I've yet to learn for this behavior, but as a newbie this seems counter intuitive.

What exactly was going wrong with it? Precision was so deep it was rounding up on its own? I may be wrong (AD, back me up) but I think it's implementation-specific as to how deep the ostream precision is by default for floats and doubles, no? On mine (GCC 4.3.2 on Debian 5.0.3 with nothing fancy) it rounds at the fourth place after the decimal point.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

Not sure. I'm using visual c++ 2008 Express. Every float/double I printed to console was coming out rounded to the nearest whole integer. I even stepped through the program and it saved the correct values to my variables.

I didn't change any settings within the studio either. Only been learning c++ for about 2 weeks so I was at a loss as to what I was doing wrong. I'll have to see if there's a setting for this somewhere.

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009
I'm not sure of the terminology here, but (for example) the templated function boost::lexical_cast deals with two typenames, Source and Target, but infers the Source type from context so you only have to specify Target in the call.
code:
std::string s("1.23");
float f = boost::lexical_cast<float>(s); // works
When I want to write a similar function I can't seem to 'infer' the source type. In other words, I have to do
code:
template<typename SourceType, typename TargetType>
TargetType fuck_me_cast(const SourceType& s) { ... }
float f = fuck_me_cast<std::string, float>(s);
How do I pick up the Source type from context? Or, failing that, what's the technical term for what I'm trying to do here, so I can Google on it?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Just change template<typename SourceType, typename TargetType> to template<typename TargetType, typename SourceType>.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Google template argument deduction.

In both your function and boost::lexical_cast, the compiler has no way to determine the type of the TargetType, which is why that type should be supplied as a template argument. However the reason Boost's function works and yours doesn't is because of the order of your template arguments.

For example, say you tried to call your function like this:

float f = fuck_me_cast<float>(s);

This says that float is the type of SourceType and the compiler should deduce the type of TargetType. This is most assuredly not what you mean. However if you swap the order of your template arguments you get:
code:
template<typename TargetType, typename SourceType>
Which says the type of TargetType is float and the type of SourceType should be deduced, which it can be from the type of s.

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

Lexical Unit posted:

Google template argument deduction.

In both your function and boost::lexical_cast, the compiler has no way to determine the type of the TargetType, which is why that type should be supplied as a template argument. However the reason Boost's function works and yours doesn't is because of the order of your template arguments.

For example, say you tried to call your function like this:

This says that float is the type of SourceType and the compiler should deduce the type of TargetType. This is most assuredly not what you mean. However if you swap the order of your template arguments you get:
code:
template<typename TargetType, typename SourceType>
Which says the type of TargetType is float and the type of SourceType should be deduced, which it can be from the type of s.
Well, gently caress me! Thanks a bunch. I assume this 'feature' is C++ spec and not compiler-dependent (in an ideal world)?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

I'm not really an expert on the differences between compilers, as for one I've never even used MSVC++. But yes, template argument deduction is part of the C++ standard. It should work as expected, barring a compiler bug/issue.

functional
Feb 12, 2008

I know this is an old problem. For some reason I'm having trouble finding the relevant libraries. I'm comparing '\0'-terminated strings of unknown length against char arrays of known length, and for performance purposes the comparison function should make the minimal number of comparisons. Specifically, the function shouldn't call strlen on the null-terminated string in order to fall back to an easier method. This problem is trickier than it looks. Neither strncmp nor memcmp solve it directly.

Someone must have written analogues of the string.h functions for all of these possibilities.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

functional posted:

Neither strncmp nor memcmp solve it directly.

Why not?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

functional posted:

I know this is an old problem. For some reason I'm having trouble finding the relevant libraries. I'm comparing '\0'-terminated strings of unknown length against char arrays of known length, and for performance purposes the comparison function should make the minimal number of comparisons. Specifically, the function shouldn't call strlen on the null-terminated string in order to fall back to an easier method. This problem is trickier than it looks. Neither strncmp nor memcmp solve it directly.

Someone must have written analogues of the string.h functions for all of these possibilities.

I assume the problem is that strncmp says that the strings are equal if the fixed-length array is a prefix of the longer string? If that's so, the obvious answer would be to just arrange to nul-terminate the fixed-length array, and use strcmp.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I assume the problem is that strncmp says that the strings are equal if the fixed-length array is a prefix of the longer string? If that's so, the obvious answer would be to just arrange to nul-terminate the fixed-length array, and use strcmp.

I'd hope that if that were the only issue (and changing the char array was forbidden for some reason), it would be obvious that it's trivial to just roll your own strncmp-ish function. I mean, it's not like glibc's implementation of strncmp is all that complex, especially when you eliminate the manual loop-unrolling.

EDIT: and if you want to compare word-sized blocks of chars at a time, that's easy too. (But basically intractable if your strings are differently-aligned.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 31, 2009

functional
Feb 12, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd hope that if that were the only issue (and changing the char array was forbidden for some reason) ...

The problem is more finding a library that's solved all of these issues already. Handling the difference between 0-terminated strings and char arrays is an old and well-known problem. Obviously anyone could write these functions themselves over a short period, but that misses two points: rewriting a library is not the best use of your time, and you'll miss a lot of optimizations the library writers didn't. There's no way I would've included the loop-unrolling found in glibc's strncmp.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

functional posted:

There's no way I would've included the loop-unrolling found in glibc's strncmp.

And why should you? GCC's optimizer does that for you (as do most others). You are, like most people who worry about stuff like this, trying to outsmart hundreds of people who have made efficiency their job for a good decade.

Also you still haven't explained why strncmp is unsuitable.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also you still haven't explained why strncmp is unsuitable.

I'm guessing it's because the length argument to strncmp has to be the length of the fixed-sized array (since it's not null-terminated). But then that won't work if the variable-length string is longer (which you don't know without scanning it beforehand).

I'd probably write a naive loop and see how that performs before going any further. Compiler optimizations may make this problem moot. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical as to how important speeding this up is (in the original context). If it's really a giant bottleneck, surely it'd be worth the initial cost to copy the fixed-sized strings and null-terminate them (or maybe do so lazily).

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
It only wouldn't work if the array based string contained \0 in a nonterminal position.

Just write your own string comparison routine. Like AD says, it's not hard. If that's too much trouble take the length of the null terminated string and stop whining. You probably don't need the extra speed anyway.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Lonely Wolf posted:

You probably don't need the extra speed anyway.

It's worth noting that if you take the strlen of a C string before doing some other operation on that same string, as long as the string fits into cache the strlen operation is highly likely to be literally free as very few programs nowadays are actually CPU-limited rather than memory-bandwidth limited. You can easily perform thousands of operations in the time it takes to fetch single cachelines; hell, if the strlen manages to hit the predictive fetcher in your CPU in a more favorable manner than whatever algorithm you run after it, you may even save time as a result of parallel and out-of-order execution schedules.

Or, more simply, optimizing without profiling is really really dumb.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

floWenoL posted:

But then that won't work if the variable-length string is longer (which you don't know without scanning it beforehand).

That all depends on what specifically he means by "comparing" the strings, which he hasn't qualified.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

That all depends on what specifically he means by "comparing" the strings, which he hasn't qualified.

I assume since he mentioned strncmp and memcmp he means lexicographically. However, unless his strings include embedded nulls, strncmp plus some extra logic if strncmp returns 0 would suffice, I think.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd hope that if that were the only issue (and changing the char array was forbidden for some reason), it would be obvious that it's trivial to just roll your own strncmp-ish function. I mean, it's not like glibc's implementation of strncmp is all that complex, especially when you eliminate the manual loop-unrolling.

EDIT: and if you want to compare word-sized blocks of chars at a time, that's easy too. (But basically intractable if your strings are differently-aligned.)

Can you elaborate more on the loop unrolling and use the function you linked to in your explanation?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

RussianManiac posted:

Can you elaborate more on the loop unrolling and use the function you linked to in your explanation?

Sure.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Avenging Dentist posted:

Sure.

Yea I could do that, but I really was looking at your expert words of wisdom on this subject instead :(

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

RussianManiac posted:

code:
  if (n >= 4)
    {
      size_t n4 = n >> 2;
      do
	{
	  c1 = (unsigned char) *s1++;
	  c2 = (unsigned char) *s2++;
	  if (c1 == '\0' || c1 != c2)
	    return c1 - c2;
	    return c1 - c2;
	    return c1 - c2;
	    return c1 - c2;
	} while (--n4 > 0);
      n &= 3;
    }

while (n > 0)
    {
	return c1 - c2;
      n--;
    }
That should be pretty obviously manual 4x loop unrolling. If you look at the source you'll see that the function is declared in the old style, so I'd wager it was written long ago (before gcc had good unrolling?) and hasn't been touched since, which is unsurprising for such a basic libc function.

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2010

Fecotourist
Nov 1, 2008
Even with a lovely old compiler, how much of a win is unrolling if there's still a conditional branch per character?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Fecotourist posted:

Even with a lovely old compiler, how much of a win is unrolling if there's still a conditional branch per character?

It's still a net reduction in comparisons. Though in this case I question how much the win is since in this loop you're almost always continuing in the loop so the only time you'll blow your pipeline is on the finished loop through.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Oh ok, I get it. The point is to execute more in the body of a new optimized loop so that the number of comparisons and jumps for the loop condition is minimized as compared to a simple unoptimized loop?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More a general programming question that a specific C++ question.

I need to store a product key in a program. I realize that this is an incredibly stupid idea in general, and isn't really my choice.

For at least some security, I want to store it so that at least under casual inspection people don't realize that there is something interesting stored in the binary, i.e. strings won't spit it out (or something else equally interesting like the key used to encrypt the actual product key) and under a hex editor it won't stick out (the product key has many english words in it, including the company that makes the product and the owner of the license key.)

I can think of a lot of ways to do this, but I was wondering if there were any well-known techniques. I guess what I'm really scared of is that I come up with something "clever" involving lots of bitshifts and such that looks kosher but ends up being optimized away in the future by an even more clever compiler.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Xoring every byte in the string with 0x80 is good enough to defeat casual inspection.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

rjmccall posted:

Xoring every byte in the string with 0x80 is good enough to defeat casual inspection.

why 80?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

RussianManiac posted:

why 80?

Setting the high order bit makes it not show up when you run strings against the program.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought what rjmccall suggested sounded like something easily optimized away, but I tried the following in the Visual C++ 9 compiler with optimization on:

code:
void doSomething(volatile char* badness)
{
	std::cout << const_cast<char*>(badness) << std::endl;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
	char* charArray = static_cast<char*>(malloc(sizeof(char)*6));
	charArray[0] = 'h';
	charArray[1] = 'e';
	charArray[2] = 'l';
	charArray[3] = 'l';
	charArray[4] = 'o';
	charArray[5] = '\0';

doSomething(charArray);

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
I didn't find the string at all using a hex editor. I thought it would optimize away everything before the doSomething() call and just store the string to be printed in the executable, and could not optimize any further since 'volatile' would (theoretically) force a read of the memory address.

I guess it's time to learn the basics of x86 and see what it really did.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Setting the high order bit makes it not show up when you run strings against the program.

What exactly do you mean by "run strings against the program?" Do you mean that the ascii characters look like extended ascii instead of regular stuff because its higher than 127?

Standish
May 21, 2001

RussianManiac posted:

What exactly do you mean by "run strings against the program?"
code:

STRINGS(1)		     GNU Development Tools		    STRINGS(1)

NAME

strings - print the strings of printable characters in files.

SYNOPSIS

strings [-afov] [-min-len]
	       [-n min-len] [--bytes=min-len]
	       [-t radix] [--radix=radix]
	       [-e encoding] [--encoding=encoding]
	       [-] [--all] [--print-file-name]
	       [--target=bfdname]
	       [--help] [--version] file...

DESCRIPTION

For  each  file	given,	GNU  strings  prints  the  printable character
       sequences that are at least 4 characters long (or the number given with
       the  options  below)  and are followed by an unprintable character.  By
       default, it only prints the strings from  the  initialized  and	loaded
       sections  of  object  files;  for  other  types of files, it prints the
       strings from the whole file.

strings is mainly useful  for  determining  the	contents  of  non-text
       files.

litghost
May 26, 2004
Builder

Chuu posted:

I thought what rjmccall suggested sounded like something easily optimized away, but I tried the following in the Visual C++ 9 compiler with optimization on:

code:
void doSomething(volatile char* badness)
{
	std::cout << const_cast<char*>(badness) << std::endl;
}

{
	charArray[0] = 'h';
	charArray[1] = 'e';
	charArray[2] = 'l';
	charArray[3] = 'l';
	charArray[4] = 'o';
	charArray[5] = '\0';

doSomething(charArray);

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
I didn't find the string at all using a hex editor. I thought it would optimize away everything before the doSomething() call and just store the string to be printed in the executable, and could not optimize any further since 'volatile' would (theoretically) force a read of the memory address.

I guess it's time to learn the basics of x86 and see what it really did.

pre:
{
01281000 6A 06                push        6  
01281002 FF 15 C4 20 28 01    call        dword ptr [__imp__malloc (12820C4h)]  
	charArray[0] = 'h';
	charArray[1] = 'e';
	charArray[2] = 'l';
	charArray[3] = 'l';
	charArray[4] = 'o';
	charArray[5] = '\0';

doSomething(charArray);
01281008 8B 0D 44 20 28 01    mov         ecx,dword ptr [__imp_std::endl (1282044h)]  
0128100E 83 C4 04             add         esp,4  
01281011 51                   push        ecx  
01281012 C7 00 68 65 6C 6C    mov         dword ptr [eax],6C6C6568h  
01281018 66 C7 40 04 6F 00    mov         word ptr [eax+4],6Fh  
0128101E 8B 15 5C 20 28 01    mov         edx,dword ptr [__imp_std::cout (128205Ch)]  
01281024 50                   push        eax  
01281025 52                   push        edx  
01281026 E8 A5 00 00 00       call        std::operator<<<std::char_traits<char> > (12810D0h)  
0128102B 83 C4 08             add         esp,8  
0128102E 8B C8                mov         ecx,eax  
01281030 FF 15 4C 20 28 01    call        dword ptr [__imp_std::basic_ostream<char,std::char_traits<char> >::operator<< (128204Ch)]  

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
01281036 33 C0                xor         eax,eax  
}
01281038 C3                   ret  

This is what I got out of VS2010 on Release. The malloc return was placed in EAX, doSomething was inlined, and hello\0 was encoded into two instructions (see the bolded parts).

I got this output be showing disassembly during debugging, and then turning on "Code bytes".

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I really meant something like this:

code:
/* Note that this is quite easy to generate with a script */
unsigned char key[] = {
  'C' ^ 0x80,
  'A' ^ 0x80,
  'V' ^ 0x80,
  '1' ^ 0x80,
  '\0'
};

void decode_key_at_startup() {
  for (unsigned i = 0; i != sizeof(key) - 1; ++i)
    key[i] ^= 0x80;
}
I mean, yes, I can imagine an optimization that would turn this into a string constant "CAV1" that would show up in strings. Odds that your compiler has such an optimization? Zero†.

(†) Actually, the Cray compiler is insane, so who knows.

EXTREMELY LATE EDIT: I had accidentally typoed the last ^ as a &

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 5, 2010

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Chuu posted:

Turning a dynamic memory allocation into a static string is definitely beyond the scope of compiler optimizations. You might have better luck if you allocate charArray on the stack, e.g.:

code:
char charArray[6];
charArray[0] = ...;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies. I guess besides the comp-sci 101 examples (tail recursion, loop unrolling, inlining, copy prevention) I don't have a good sense of what's easily optimized and what isn't. Is there some good reference out there that explains modern compiler optimizing techniques?