Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Oooh, very nice on the top.

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Great job exposing the sky. You use flash on the foreground or is that an HDR?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Regressor posted:

Great job exposing the sky. You use flash on the foreground or is that an HDR?

The top one is a manual blend of two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. I used layers and masks in Photoshop to then blend the two exposures.

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009

Dread Head posted:

The top one is a manual blend of two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. I used layers and masks in Photoshop to then blend the two exposures.

Good call on just using layer masks. It retained its real-look as if you did everything pre-processing and didn't get the artificial HDR look.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

:drat:

I even think the uneven horizon works on this, it feels natural to see the curvature of the earth when looking such vast distances.

Wubble posted:

Finally got a working tri-pod.

Edit: I reedited the photo a bit, and removed most of the spots the best I could, but most of them were actually rain drops that got on the lens.

Aside from the dirtyness I really like this, especially the funky stuff going on in the foreground.

Got to ease back into this

Mr. Epic
May 13, 2007
Words are just not enough.
Would you want to use manual or auto focus for landscape shots? I've read differing opinions on both and was curious what the consensus was here.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Mr. Epic posted:

Would you want to use manual or auto focus for landscape shots? I've read differing opinions on both and was curious what the consensus was here.
The cameras I use for landscapes are manual focus anyway, but always focus for hyperfocal distance at the sharpest/smallest (<- not always the same) aperture possible.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I forgot to post this with the other 2 a few weeks back.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Dread Head posted:

I think these are boring. Who cares? Running water. Big deal. Work on your compositions dude. Make pictures interesting. This is the same old crap. You should be able to do better.

What made you think they were good? I mean, they're not bad, they're just bad coming from you since you've done them before. I wonder about your mindset and what you think is acceptable and what isn't. It's almost like you've forgotten what your other pictures have looked like so you don't think to try something new.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 5, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mannequin posted:

I think you picked the wrong orientation for this photo. Cutting off the building on the left makes me unhappy, and by having it in portrait orientation, I'm not really seeing anything particularly interesting with the trees or sky.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

I'm awful at post-processing. Any general tips (not specific to this photo)?

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009

the posted:

I'm awful at post-processing. Any general tips (not specific to this photo)?

For the most part, getting it right in camera helps. Don't know what you were going for exactly in that picture.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

spf3million posted:

I like this.

e: a lot

the hassler
Nov 1, 2004

kiss me i'm todd it
Some absolutely amazing stuff in here. I really want to go out and do some long exposure work now.

Here are a some from my trip to hawaii in mid 2009. All shot on a Bessa R3A with a 15mm Heliar f/4.5, most on Portra 400NC, some on Fuji Superia 400. All hand-held since I still have trouble with the small rangefinder body on most tripods.

the hassler fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 9, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One more.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

i realized i haven't posted pics in this thread possibly ever, here's a few from the past few months

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A few from tonight.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

A few from tonight.

I hate to do it, but

Mannequin posted:

I think these are boring. Who cares? Running water. Big deal. Work on your compositions dude. Make pictures interesting. This is the same old crap. You should be able to do better.

What made you think they were good? I mean, they're not bad, they're just bad coming from you since you've done them before. I wonder about your mindset and what you think is acceptable and what isn't. It's almost like you've forgotten what your other pictures have looked like so you don't think to try something new.
...Just not said so harshly. Start studying some other photographers, going out with restrictions (one focal length, one shutter speed, etc.), try new scenic variations.

Learn to edit tighter, as well. Only one of those three needed to be posted. Which one best communicates what you saw? What you felt? What you would like others to see or feel?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Interrupting Moss posted:

I hate to do it, but

...Just not said so harshly. Start studying some other photographers, going out with restrictions (one focal length, one shutter speed, etc.), try new scenic variations.

Learn to edit tighter, as well. Only one of those three needed to be posted. Which one best communicates what you saw? What you felt? What you would like others to see or feel?

I posted 3 images because I wanted feedback on them, I am well aware that one is much stronger than the other 2 but does not mean I cant get feedback on them. Not sure if I have mentioned it here but I feel my stuff is stagnant, I am trying to do new things but it is tough. I find with landscapes it is hard because a lot of it has to do with the location. Going back to locations you have gone to before it is really hard to motivate your self. For these photos I was just out for a walk without really having the intention of taking photos but it was a nice sunset so why not? I am bored with my photos, I really need a larger project to apply my self to but I am having a hard time kicking something off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That first shot's quite interesting, and it seems the location has enough going on to lend itself to not-landscape photography. I mean if you're bored just try it.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I can't stop making stuff B&W...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

That first shot's quite interesting, and it seems the location has enough going on to lend itself to not-landscape photography. I mean if you're bored just try it.

I agree, one of the reasons I went was to scout for a good location to shoot river otters that are often there but too many people with dogs around when I was down there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shoot the dogs, or the people, or the loving lack of otters. Just not a 1/3 2/3 beachscape.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

octane2 posted:

These are gorgeous, rich in color and very beautifully composed.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Thank you, krackmonkey.

Will post more soon.

krackmonkey posted:

These are gorgeous, rich in color and very beautifully composed.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

fenner posted:

I can't stop making stuff B&W...

Loved these 2 (3). For the black and white one, why don't you just try getting rid of all the blue/aqua in the picture, leaving the oranges and yellows. I think you're losing a little something by not having some color behind those silhouettes.

--

Took this one yesterday. I am pretty fond of it:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

octane2 posted:

Is that New Zealand? You always see that vista on cameralabs.com.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Gullous,

Spot on. If you click the original image it goes into a little detail about where it was taken.

In general, however, it's taken from the viewing platform of the gondola ride which overlooks Queenstown. It's a beautiful place.

Cheers.

Gullous posted:

Is that New Zealand? You always see that vista on cameralabs.com.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'm planning a trip to New Zealand right now: would love to hear about any off-the-beaten path photo spots you or other Kiwi goons may have to recommend. We're looking at spending a couple of days in the North Island, and then renting a camper van and touring the South Island based out of Queenstown. :)

Will save this thread from a derail, and point to the NZ thread in the Travel forum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3217913

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1

SKULE123 posted:

I'm planning a trip to New Zealand right now: would love to hear about any off-the-beaten path photo spots you or other Kiwi goons may have to recommend. We're looking at spending a couple of days in the North Island, and then renting a camper van and touring the South Island based out of Queenstown. :)

Will save this thread from a derail, and point to the NZ thread in the Travel forum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3217913

Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook are both great.

Near Lake Tekapo, en route to Mt. Cook.

Glacial lake near Mt. Cook.

Also, Macetown is apparently pretty good, and while not really off-the-beaten-path, the top of Summit Road in the Port Hills of Christchurch offers some pretty stunning views, especially at night.

Zygar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 19, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Zygar posted:

Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook are both great.

Near Lake Tekapo, en route to Mt. Cook.

Glacial lake near Mt. Cook.

Also, Macetown is apparently pretty good, and while not really off-the-beaten-path, the top of Summit Road in the Port Hills of Christchurch offers some pretty stunning views, especially at night.

Wow, thats a pretty tree :dance:. I think I've seen that panorama of Mt. Cook a couple of times before - its beautiful. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've been taking a slight break from shooting digital the past few weeks and have been trying my hand at developing film at home. It's been pretty ridiculously rainy here in so cal, but there was a break in the storm sometime on monday just befor sunset, so I took the opportunity to try and capture some cool clouds on this cheap chinese emulsion I got off of ebay (Shantou ERA100).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Posted on your flickr, but I like this quite a bit. You have just enough detail in those tree trunks to make that bottom half interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Awesome photos.

If this is cheap stuff, i'd be intrigued to see what expensive stuff can do... because holy poo poo did those come out well.