Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

I liked the video for Videophone mainly since it's th hottest Beyonce has ever looked to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

I liked the video for Videophone mainly since it's th hottest Beyonce has ever looked to me

I'd like to disagree. I think Beyonce's trying too hard to be Gaga, and it doesn't work because she then features Gaga in it. She's already established her sound and look over the decade and it feels like she's hit a brick wall in the song/video.

Granted, I don't think Gaga and Beyonce mix well at all.

Seconding not liking the shoddy CGI work with the men with cameras for heads.

E:vvv I meant that she's also attempting to ride the Gaga wave so to speak. But I agree with everything you said there.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2010

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't think Beyonce is trying to be Gaga. I think some morons went over the top in trying to sexualize her for the video and song and instead she comes off hideous. If they were trying some cultural relevance of video conferencing sex or something, I think they did it poorly and cheaply.

Gaga just does sex and cultural relevance better.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

I have to agree, though she's not hot in certain sections of it.

But the parts where her and Gaga dance in unison is completely bonerworthy.

P.S. Hi, I gave in to the Gaga freight train a few weeks ago and I haven't looked back. I have been following this thread ever since. :love:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, I'm gonna extend even more evidence for me being gay here, despite my (supposed) heterosexuality, but I think my love of Gaga is influencing me in other ways. I've started to listen to Taylor Swift, and enjoying it quite a bit. God help me, when Love Story or You Belong to Me come on my iPod, I feel like a loving 14 year old girl.

It's funny how they both rose to prominence about the same time, and have somewhat similar fanbases, yet are two completely different artists. Two sides of the same coin, really. Gaga is unadulterated lust, and Taylor Swift is that pure love that only teenage girls seem to have. It's funny to contrast them.

(I'd buy any duet that they did in half a heartbeat.)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, I'm gonna extend even more evidence for me being gay here, despite my (supposed) heterosexuality, but I think my love of Gaga is influencing me in other ways. I've started to listen to Taylor Swift, and enjoying it quite a bit. God help me, when Love Story or You Belong to Me come on my iPod, I feel like a loving 14 year old girl.

Goddammit shut up. I was talking to a mate tonight at a metal concert how I want to see Taylor Swift. Apparently tickets are sold out and he's going. I was so jealous :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think they both won over a lot of converts by being so cool on Saturday Night Live this season. Gaga's musical performances killed, silencing a lot of skeptics and naysayers, and Swift was charming, hilarious, and up for anything when she hosted, kind of like a cute blonde female version of Justin Timberlake.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Taylor Swift is absolutely adorable and sort of hard to hate; plus a lot of people really felt for her after the whole Kanye thing. I think she is a sweetheart but I am still not that big on her music; which almost makes me feel bad because she does seem like a good kid.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I think Taylor Swift seems like a nice girl and all, but I'm just not into country-lite, no matter how likable she is as a personality.

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
I saw a video of Taylor Swift doing that popular song on the AMA awards, whatever that is, and she sounded absolutely terrible. Weak, flat, really small range. I can't find it anymore though, it's been taken down for copyright.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

cute blonde female version of Justin Timberlake.

This must explain my crush on her. I totally have a huge man-crush on Timberlake, he's just totally awesome. Helps that I followed him over from 'Nsync.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

So the other day I got my Lady Gaga Heartbeats headphones that came with my VIP package for New Orleans and holy poo poo they are hot sex. Listening to Alejandro right now and picking up little things I never noticed before.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just survived a day of food poisoning and made it to Gaga's Orlando show. She was amazing. Surpassed our wildest expectations! We were particularly glad she played the piano a little, on "Speechless" and the slowed-down "Poker Face." I think she'd actually be even better in a smaller, more intimate, cabaret-style environment, without the grand theatrics and backup dancers and sets and costume changes.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Tonight I went out to dinner with my friend and his wife; she shares my love for all things GaGa while he thinks it's really faggy. She hadn't heard fame monster yet so I played the entire album since the restaurant was really far away. In between comments like "This is gay" and "you are a homo" I noticed my friend was tapping his hand and his foot. I will wear him down eventually; I can feel it~

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is weirdly in love with "Alejandro." My sister and I both woke up singing it today, and the lyrics crack us up. Every time we say the "hot like Mexico" and "Ale-Ale-jandro" lines, we then have to say "goddammit Gaga" and admit that, despite some silly lyrics, she is the best person ever.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

This is pretty rad.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Porkchop Express posted:

Tonight I went out to dinner with my friend and his wife; she shares my love for all things GaGa while he thinks it's really faggy. She hadn't heard fame monster yet so I played the entire album since the restaurant was really far away. In between comments like "This is gay" and "you are a homo" I noticed my friend was tapping his hand and his foot. I will wear him down eventually; I can feel it~
Nobody wants to admit they love GaGa at first. He'll come around.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Oncogene posted:

This is pretty rad.

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom indeed

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I've found some nifty Lady Gaga covers.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfuVa3gRHs
- A surprisingly soulful acoustic guitar cover of Bad Romance. It's interesting hearing a bro-dude with his guitar make a strangely tender version of Gaga's explosive lyrics.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NGDvpjViA
- A girl with a guitar gives a quiet, soft version of Paparazzi.

- http://fororchestra.com/music/
- Walt Ribeiro does fantastic arrangements of pop songs for orchestra. So far he's done great versions of Gaga's Bad Romance, Lovegame and Pokerface. I have to recommend Lovegame as sounding the most epic. He posted a couple of videos on youtube, but I think they're starting to get taken down for using visual clips from her official videos.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPaBpMNWTU
- This is a three-viola arrangement of Pokerface.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0i4GunURRY
- A viola/violin/weird string thing?? arrangement of Pokerface.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9A9mbKbMM
- A euphoric mash-up of Lady Gaga's Just Dance and Journey's Don't Stop Believing.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but this is the only Lady Gaga mash-up that I could see myself really wanting to listen to. Even though I usually think of her sound as really similar to most dance pop, her style has a way of dominating most mash-ups that I've listened to and they usually end up sounding like clunky remixes. :\

She's also done acoustic versions of Pokerface and Paparazzi, which can be quickly found on Youtube. A friend of mine who saw her perform at New York Fashion week claims to have a recording of her doing Just Dance acoustically, but I've never been able to find it online.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

That first cover is tremendously awful.

I feel like I should take this as a challenge. I've avoided covering Lady Gaga because she does her own fun little acoustic covers, so it wouldn't be treading new ground, but now I feel like I need to track down a video camera and do a cover of Bad Romance just to show this fucker how it's done.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Rummanging posted:

I saw a video of Taylor Swift doing that popular song on the AMA awards, whatever that is, and she sounded absolutely terrible. Weak, flat, really small range. I can't find it anymore though, it's been taken down for copyright.

Yeah Taylor doesn't really have the strongest voice, especially when compared to artists like Carrie Underwood and even Lady Gaga. Doesn't stop her concerts from selling out ridiculously fast, though.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

I feel like I should take this as a challenge. I've avoided covering Lady Gaga because she does her own fun little acoustic covers, so it wouldn't be treading new ground, but now I feel like I need to track down a video camera and do a cover of Bad Romance just to show this fucker how it's done.
My husband is currently working up a country-fried R&B cover of Bad Romance. My husband plays like Willie and sings like Sam Cooke. This should be really interesting.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

spite house posted:

My husband is currently working up a country-fried R&B cover of Bad Romance. My husband plays like Willie and sings like Sam Cooke. This should be really interesting.

I immediately went upstairs and started working something out on the piano. I've gotta get my recording gear working because this could be really awesome.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

The other day I searched for "Bad Romance Acoustic" on Youtube trying to find a version of the song with just Gaga and the piano. Let me just say that the song is aready approaching 'Hey Ya' levels of white-guy acoustic douchebaggery.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Just heard the Bad Romance Skrillex Remix version, and hot drat I love how many throwbacks are in there to The Fame. To quote a friend who listened, it was completely dizzying. As opposed to her though, I loved it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

legsarerequired posted:

- Walt Ribeiro does fantastic arrangements of pop songs for orchestra. [...] I have to recommend Lovegame as sounding the most epic.

This sounds like it should be playing in the background of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I got into Lady Gaga while on a trip to Austria, about 4 days after her concert in my home town. :( I just hope she goes on a new tour soon after this new one, or adds some new dates or something. She intregues me immensely.

Porcupine Hunted
Sep 7, 2008

This thread makes me happy.

Haven't really noticed any talk of "Teeth". It has pretty much become my new favorite song by Gaga, even if it is about dick...

show this fucker how it's done.

spite house posted:

My husband plays like Willie and sings like Sam Cooke.

May we hear some of the other music you people are responsible for while we wait? (Youtube accounts, pretty please)

Prince of Tennis
Aug 31, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Programmable Soda posted:

Alejandro is incredibly catchy. It's one of my favorites along with Bad Romance and Teeth. And whoever said it was reminiscent of Ace of Base was spot on.

The first GaGa song I heard was Just Dance, and I didn't like it. I thought it sounded way too generic and I just dismissed her as another talentless skank. Then I heard Poker Face and I thought it was catchy. Then it was the Paparazzi video. And when Bad Romance came out, I was hooked.

I guess it's easy to label GaGa as another product of the music industry, carefully crafted to harvest as much money as possible in little time. But as you begin to dig deeper, you realise that she's one of a kind. She reminds me a bit of Tori Amos: to really get them, you have to explore their universes: their songs, videos, interviews, live performances... the whole package.

Anyone who says this doesn't understand Lady Gaga at all and is just jumping on the latest bandwagon. Sorry to be harsh but this is like saying "I like Warhol but pop culture is stupid." Also the fact that you called her a "talentless skank" means you probably should reexamine yourself.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Porcupine Hunted posted:

Haven't really noticed any talk of "Teeth". It has pretty much become my new favorite song by Gaga, even if it is about dick...

"Teeth" is a fantastic song, easily one of the best on the album and a great way to close it out.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Porcupine Hunted posted:

This thread makes me happy.

May we hear some of the other music you people are responsible for while we wait? (Youtube accounts, pretty please)

My youtube account is full of embarrassing old old old stuff. I'm magicalpolaris, but don't judge me :/ I haven't had access to a video camera since I got serious about music.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Prince of Tennis posted:

Anyone who says this doesn't understand Lady Gaga at all and is just jumping on the latest bandwagon. Sorry to be harsh but this is like saying "I like Warhol but pop culture is stupid." Also the fact that you called her a "talentless skank" means you probably should reexamine yourself.

To fully accept Gaga requires one to accept ego death. Those who may have stronger prejudices need to take time to break them down, like a Klan member re-examining his belief system

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To fully accept Gaga requires one to accept ego death. Those who may have stronger prejudices need to take time to break them down, like a Klan member re-examining his belief system

And then if they STILL don't want to accept her; we can get physical and MAKE them accept her. :colbert:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure "Teeth" is about cunnilingus and/or rough sex in general. "Bad girl meat" = vag. There's an inversion of the whole sub/dom thing going on in the song - she's tied to the bed, saying she's got no salvation or religion, but that you can be it - but she's still ordering you to get rougher ("take a bite of my bad girl meat" seems like an obvious euphemism to "nibble on my clit, bitch" or even just "gently caress me harder").

I mean, yeah, "it's not how big, it's how mean" is a reference to dick, but the rest of the song is much more about everything else in the equation.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ever since listening to Gaga, I've found myself to be more and more appreciative of pop music. When in the past I would claim to not like mainstream music while secretly humming a Beyonce song to myself, I am now not ashamed to blast the pop radio station in my car. Lady of Gagalupe has truly shown me the way, and it's paved with synths and 808s.

Porcupine Hunted
Sep 7, 2008

The Cameo posted:

I'm pretty sure "Teeth" is about cunnilingus and/or rough sex in general.

Yea, I kinda meant to say that in a "Like a Virgin" Tarantino-interpretation sort of way. I.e. It's about a woman who wants to get laid.

Also, I very much agree with the above comment. If Gaga should be commended for one thing only, it would be broadening the horizon of at least some people.

e: v v v Taylor Swift is the more obvious candidate... v v v

Porcupine Hunted fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 5, 2010

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Porcupine Hunted posted:

Yea, I kinda meant to say that in a "Like a Virgin" Tarantino-interpretation sort of way. I.e. It's about a woman who wants to get laid.

Oh man, I just realized we might very well be hearing some pop culture influenced dialogue in a movie a decade from now talking specifically about Lady Gaga.

:psyduck:

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Prince of Tennis posted:

I'm sorry, but what? I'm not "jumping on the latest bandwagon", I just happened to change my opinion on GaGa after being exposed to her a bit more, which is what happened to several others here. I'm not the first one posting about going from hate to love, because really... when you've got lots of artists who're doing something musically similar whom you don't really like, it's easy to brush her off as part of that uninspiring group.

Like CharlieFoxtrot said, it took some time to break down my prejudices towards her, but when I did, I also began to appreciate pop music more.

Also, what is it that I "don't get" about GaGa?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The fact that you have to ask what you don't get about her, proves that you don't get her.

Actually, I have no idea, I think it's a good thing that you've changed your mind. I did the same thing as you. Lady GaGa came off as being part of the same group as Britney, Christina, and Pink. You have to actually listen to her a little bit, and you have to watch interviews with her, and you have to read about her, before you realize that she's not really the same at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince of Tennis
Aug 31, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

I'm sorry, but what? I'm not "jumping on the latest bandwagon", I just happened to change my opinion on GaGa after being exposed to her a bit more, which is what happened to several others here. I'm not the first one posting about going from hate to love, because really... when you've got lots of artists who're doing something musically similar whom you don't really like, it's easy to brush her off as part of that uninspiring group.

Like CharlieFoxtrot said, it took some time to break down my prejudices towards her, but when I did, I also began to appreciate pop music more.

If you appreciate pop then that's good, but your post gave off the impression that you don't like mainstream music and thought Lady Gaga is somehow different. This is ironic because the whole point is she is pop music given the face of art to make it "OK" to like. I mentioned Warhol because she's basically putting a picture of Cambell's Soup into a museum so that it is art. If you think Gaga is separate from the "garbage mainstream music" you are one of the people being made a fool of for separating high art and low art.

This is not to say Gaga isn't extremely unique and talented, but music is not where she innovates, and she has acknowledged as much.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The fact that you have to ask what you don't get about her, proves that you don't get her.

Actually, I have no idea, I think it's a good thing that you've changed your mind. I did the same thing as you. Lady GaGa came off as being part of the same group as Britney, Christina, and Pink. You have to actually listen to her a little bit, and you have to watch interviews with her, and you have to read about her, before you realize that she's not really the same at all.

What's bad about Britney, Christina, and Pink, and how is Lady Gaga different? Especially Pink, what's your beef with her?

• Locked thread