Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You know what is the coolest piece of cyberware/bioware? The sleep regulator. You only have to sleep for four hours and always wake up perfectly rested! You can go for days without sleep!

That or the pain editor, that thing is cool as hell. Whoops, it seems I accidentally turned off my pain receptors. Hold on while I murder everyone present and then make fumbling attempts at patching myself up because I can't feel anything and I'm pretty sure I'll pass out and die of shock if I turn this thing off.

One or both of those might have been left out of 4th, though. I would be disappointed by that, because I always thought the concept of a guy who just decided that sleep and pain were for faggots and had them surgically corrected was awesome as hell in a hilariously post-human way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Angry Diplomat posted:

You know what is the coolest piece of cyberware/bioware? The sleep regulator. You only have to sleep for four hours and always wake up perfectly rested! You can go for days without sleep!

That or the pain editor, that thing is cool as hell. Whoops, it seems I accidentally turned off my pain receptors. Hold on while I murder everyone present and then make fumbling attempts at patching myself up because I can't feel anything and I'm pretty sure I'll pass out and die of shock if I turn this thing off.

One or both of those might have been left out of 4th, though. I would be disappointed by that, because I always thought the concept of a guy who just decided that sleep and pain were for faggots and had them surgically corrected was awesome as hell in a hilariously post-human way.

Nope, they're still around. The Sleep Regulator now only requires THREE hours of sleep (but you can only stay up 48 hours), and I'm not sure how the Pain Editor was previously, but currently it A) only applies to Stun damage & B) gives you +1 Willpower -1 Intuition while active, in addition to "I can't feel poo poo!"

EDIT: But if you wanna ignore physical damage, there's always Damage Compensators or Trauma Dampener + Platelet Factory. All three of which can stack, but not very well (The Dampener doesn't kick in until the Compensator burns out, and the Platelet factory doesn't go into effect until AFTER the Dampener does its work, meaning you have to suffer at least three points of Physical damage).

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 19, 2009

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
When dealing with Counterspelling (175, SR4) would you allow a mage to edge a spell defense roll, and could that roll be applied to multiple protected allies (as per the normal rules)? This happened to our Druid last game, and it took all the sizzle out of her Hot Potato.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Garl_Grimm posted:

When dealing with Counterspelling (175, SR4) would you allow a mage to edge a spell defense roll, and could that roll be applied to multiple protected allies (as per the normal rules)?
Yes, edge can be spent on that roll. There's absolutely no reason why it couldn't be, really. A player can spend edge on almost any roll that the player makes.

As for allies, when a mage is protecting his teammates with counterspelling, if a spell is only targeting one person then only the targeted person rolls the mage's counterspelling + his own resistance stat (usually body or willpower). The mage rolls nothing.

It's only if a single spell is hitting multiple targets, such as an AOE spell, that the mage rolls for everyone. Still no reason why he couldn't spend edge there, either.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
It just seems like a massive caster cock block to have a prime runner sec mage spend one karma to give the extra resistance hits for an entire team, but I guess them's the rules.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm gearing up for a new session, this time the team has to capture or neutralize a nano-cyborg, with the bonus option of extracting him from the vengeful EVO subsidiary that's coming after him.

There's just one thing that bugs me. The group hermetic mage is either very broken for a starting character or there is something in the rules I don't get.

He tracks people by spies by going astral, then materializes and fires off manabolts and stunbolts at villains like it ain't no thing. Drain is a neglible concern, and in his astral state he can ignore firearms, drones and what I can level against him. The only thing I could use against him would be spirits and mage adversaries, but I don't want to focus solely on magical threats against the group.

How do I tackle that?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

In arsenal there is something akin to an astral smoke bomb I think, and holding cells/walls can have astral blocking in them if there is a super secure person/object being held. Apart from that I couldn't help much, none of my players use magic and the only extent I've used so far is for NPC healing or two adversaries over 5 games that are adepts that see astrally, and that's just so I can have a way to get the god drat sniper in the group. It depends on the flavor of how you run the setting, but since it does have such a fantasy slant you could just add more magic users with astral defenses.

Seriously, the loving sniper with his camo suit, thermal dampening, jammers, image magnification, silencer and suppressor...he rolls 14 dice to hit poo poo with -10 AP, fires twice in a round, and I can't even attack back because with all his poo poo there really is no way short of astral spirits or drones with anything less than xray vision to loving see him. It really sucks because anything non melee or cheesed up with really unfair stats gets absolutely destroyed in the first round.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aye, the mana smoke bomb. But it's so rare that it wouldn't make sense for him to encounter it everywhere. Then again, neither would magical security. Guess it's just the way of things.

Thanks for the input, either way.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I was always under the impression that someone in the astral couldn't effect something in the real.

Yes, he can cast mana spells but they are also restricted to the astral plane.

Failing that, his body is trackable and he is -really- vulnerable when he is out of it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tias posted:

He tracks people by spies by going astral, then materializes and fires off manabolts and stunbolts at villains like it ain't no thing. Drain is a neglible concern, and in his astral state he can ignore firearms, drones and what I can level against him. The only thing I could use against him would be spirits and mage adversaries, but I don't want to focus solely on magical threats against the group.

How do I tackle that?

You're not allowed to cast spells on purely physical targets when you're astrally projecting. No, not even if you're manifesting (which is not the same as materializing). You can target astrally active entities so you can kill their hellhounds and whatnot, but you absolutely cannot breach the astral barrier. Yes, the rules in 4e are less than clear on this point, but that is the authorial intent in 4e and how it has worked in every previous edition.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gobbeldygook posted:

You're not allowed to cast spells on purely physical targets when you're astrally projecting. No, not even if you're manifesting (which is not the same as materializing). You can target astrally active entities so you can kill their hellhounds and whatnot, but you absolutely cannot breach the astral barrier. Yes, the rules in 4e are less than clear on this point, but that is the authorial intent in 4e and how it has worked in every previous edition.

This is correct, if your mage is, somehow, materializing instead of manifesting, he could cast spells on purely physical targets, but then you could just shoot him dead (unless he's a Free Spirit, in which case WHY DID YOU LET HIM PICK THAT). When astrally projecting you can only cast spells on other astral entities or dual natured beings. As you average human is not dual natured, you've been letting him get away with far too much, even way back in 1st edition, this was the case (although first and second edition had some wacky rules there that no longer apply).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Well, my second attempt at DMing went alright, I suppose. I've realized that the group is way more powerful than I thought. The soldier with 3 initiative passes basically wasted every single enemy he met (they were facing mostly street gangers). At the end of the mission, they were abducted by Renraku, who they pissed off in their first run, and are being forced to work for them (sort of like The Usual Suspects).

I took some flak for railroading them into being abducted, the hacker felt like he should have been able to notice that he was being shadowed, but I reasoned that no matter how good the group hacker may be, corps would have better ones, especially since he's still a "beginner' runner. In any case, it was a bad move on my part, so I need to make sure I avoid something like that again.

I'm concerned about the party face. He's not cybered or magic, and I'm afraid he's going to be destroyed if I pit him against corp security. I'm thinking of having him be able to use his social skills as a distraction while the more combat oriented members do the majority of the fighting elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Faces should always have high Edge. It's something I noticed about the archetype, they have insane amounts of Edge to get them out of jams.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

My players are wanting to do a wetworks mission, and with them now being out in the Puyallup Barrens lying low, I thought that there'd be no better time than now, with the target being in Puyallup City. The twist? There's 6 other assassins out on the open contract too.

I'm blatantly stealing this from the first Smokin' Aces (not the lovely second one), but not stealing the assassins entirely. The only two types I am using are with one runner using the facial and vocal changer equipment, and the other being the Tremor brothers (all human). What I would love is for anyone to come up with any 4 remaining assassins (or groups or pairs, etc), with your own unique ideas as to their motives, their method of operation, and how they plan to assassinate the target. I figure Shadowrun goons would be more creative than just myself in making it one hell of an evening that my group has to deal with.

To make things more interesting I am thinking of also having it be a specific assassination in front of a mob boss, so that the players can't just kill the target right away, but have to bring him alive to a certain place before the job is done in front of the mob boss who put out the contract.

For reference, these are runners who have gotten a total of 24 karma, and have no defenses against anything magical.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I'm blatantly stealing this from the first Smokin' Aces (not the lovely second one), but not stealing the assassins entirely. The only two types I am using are with one runner using the facial and vocal changer equipment, and the other being the Tremor brothers (all human). What I would love is for anyone to come up with any 4 remaining assassins (or groups or pairs, etc), with your own unique ideas as to their motives, their method of operation, and how they plan to assassinate the target.

The Tremor brothers are so Shadowrun street sam it's hard not to include them.

Two words: Golgo motherfuckin' 13. Have one of the assassins be a Japanese elite sniper, whose a suave motherfucker and plans for ridiculous, near-impossible shots, like plotting his bullet trajectory through small gaps in billboards or open windows in buildings so as to confuse radar and echolocation detection. Then have some salaryman who looks a bit like him being led as a decoy, so the players think this poor guy is him.

Then follow him up with the heavily-armored, ex-special forces vigilante, whose got a gun for every occasion and has it in for the various organized crime groups, especially the one in the campaign, because they killed his entire family. And he considers 'runners to be criminal scum as well. Basically, have the Punisher, or a thinly-veiled ripoff, show up. In fact, make him a BTL-whacked-out veteran who confused the Punisher's background with his own, so when he shows up bodysculpted to look like Ray Stevenson and dressed in full tactical armor with a skull painted on, the PCs will wig the gently caress out.

I remember coming up with one NPC for a SR game that was essentially manned-up, former SAS and MI-6 spook version of Ron Weasley from Harry Potter.

Just go through various assassination or hitman movies or video games and pick memorable characters and make them your own.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That's basically what I'm doing. I'm taking bits from Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, and Modern Warfare 2, and incorporating them in the characters and plot. Actually, what do you all suggest to read/play/watch for SR inspiration?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fenarisk posted:

I'm blatantly stealing this from the first Smokin' Aces (not the lovely second one), but not stealing the assassins entirely. The only two types I am using are with one runner using the facial and vocal changer equipment, and the other being the Tremor brothers (all human). What I would love is for anyone to come up with any 4 remaining assassins (or groups or pairs, etc), with your own unique ideas as to their motives, their method of operation, and how they plan to assassinate the target. I figure Shadowrun goons would be more creative than just myself in making it one hell of an evening that my group has to deal with.

How about a troll/elf adept duo based on Fezzik and Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride. Bonus points if you give them a handler based on Vizzini. Just be sure and make them memorable with appropriate banter and the rhyming game.

Also, go read some articles about His Highness Emperor Norton, then try and import his character into some sort of magician.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Male Man posted:

How about a troll/elf adept duo based on Fezzik and Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride. Bonus points if you give them a handler based on Vizzini. Just be sure and make them memorable with appropriate banter and the rhyming game.

Also, go read some articles about His Highness Emperor Norton, then try and import his character into some sort of magician.

That's the best thing to come out of the 'worst experiences' thread. :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You could include at least one incredibly incompetent assassin, like a mall cop whose decided he had enough with his wage slave job and wants to make it big.

Paul Blart: Mall Assassin

Tias
May 25, 2008

So we all love SR, right? Is there any way I could convince you faggots to play a PBP SR4e game here on the forums and stay with it? I tried once, and people just dropped off like it wasn't no thang.

I'm still interested, and want to put all my writing prowess into it, but I want some sort of guarentee that it will run smoothly.. (one nix, it will probably first start in a month or two, when I have time to post)

Also, finally had a great tabletop yesterday. Got to use nearly 40 kg of explosives, break into a flooded bank by submarine, and wrestle a fox shapeshifter off a roof to get out! gently caress you, Evo <3

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

So we all love SR, right? Is there any way I could convince you faggots to play a PBP SR4e game here on the forums and stay with it? I tried once, and people just dropped off like it wasn't no thang.

I'll Toxx Clause myself to sticking with it if you do run it. I'm tired of having other players(and GMs) gently caress off into the void too. Anyone else ballsy enough?

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tias posted:

Shadowrun semi-virgin here, bookmarked this thread just to hear that question. I'm in. Uhh, I don't think I'm going to Toxx myself before I see what the campaign is about though, I'd have had a hell of a time fitting any character I'd want to play into, say, that game where everyone was a biker (no offense intended to its GM).

Actually, since I'm finally posting this thread, let me tell you about the only experience playing Shadowrun I have had. So an IRC friend with 3e experience decides he wants to introduce a couple of people from a couple of channels to the game. We get five players including me, and the Johnson describes a rather simple mission: Just get a book from some run-down apartment. I figure that since this is a newbie run and the GM actually likes the game and wants to have players who'll be back for another session, he's not going to stiff us that bad even if we just head straight into the job.

As far as I can tell he would have had it that way... if my fellow players hadn't been retarded. See, the first obstacle we had to solve was that we couldn't get in to the apartment building. One of our players was furry whose character was a shapeshifter adept. He turned into a dog and spent most of the session scratching at the front door and looking longingly at passing people to be let in. We had a guy who was playing that character's brother, and he could probably have done something useful, except the player's dinner time coincided with our gaming sessions so that I don't think he ever got more than ten minutes of play in at a session. One guy was playing a hacker whose background story involved him finding out about some hugeass conspiracy involving pretty much every megacorp out there - the GM said he just ignored that. That particular player only ever showed up to play once anyway, for the last session.

Oh, and then there was one guy who was a friend of the other players (I think) who'd heard we were playing Shadowrun and was basically "Shadowrun? Shadowrun! I'm in! Let me in!!!!" I'm not sure anymore whether his character was gunslingerish or riggerish or whatever, but I do remember that the first thing he did was spend ten minutes trying to pick the backdoor lock (in plain view of some people doing laundry). After that he tried to rappel up the wall. In broad daylight. Next to a busy residential street. :wtc:

The GM said my character was neat, though, so I was thinking of seeing if I could use him in this game. The concept is a slightly naive but not pansy Yakutian dwarven hermetic mage, with a background that sounds pretty terrible in all my attempts to compress it down to a few sentences :shobon:.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Tias posted:

I would play. Every game I've ever been in everyone else dropped out or the dm just quit. Hell I could just use my 0 cyberware hacker that I've tried to use 2 times now.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Nth-ing interest in a Shadowrun pbp. I bought the book last May but I haven't had much chance to do anything with it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Tias posted:

I'm still interested, and want to put all my writing prowess into it, but I want some sort of guarentee that it will run smoothly.. (one nix, it will probably first start in a month or two, when I have time to post)

Also, finally had a great tabletop yesterday. Got to use nearly 40 kg of explosives, break into a flooded bank by submarine, and wrestle a fox shapeshifter off a roof to get out! gently caress you, Evo <3

I apologize about that. After running a PbP game and a CYOA of the same nature for a combined total of two years I ran out of steam. There was other stuff too, but I really don't like to talk about that.

Anyway, I have a question for everyone who has been using the system. I tried running this outside of PbP for the first time a few months ago and I was bogged down by the incredibly clunkiness of it all. One of my players was rolling 16(!) dice for his shotgun skill. And while he was a min-maxer it felt ridiculous to be rolling so many.

Normally I'd counter this by running a gutter run campaign but drat it, I want them to do cool stuff eventually. I'm considering abandoning everything but the setting and going to GURPS or D20 modern. Is there any advice?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tias posted:

I'd be interested. Tried to get into a couple pbp games here, one had the GM fade away after a couple weeks, the other ended up not really being what had been advertised. But I'd at least be interested in seeing what you come up with, Shadowrun is too good a system to pass up a chance to play.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

Normally I'd counter this by running a gutter run campaign but drat it, I want them to do cool stuff eventually. I'm considering abandoning everything but the setting and going to GURPS or D20 modern. Is there any advice?

Those are terrible systems. Play Cyberpunk 2020, even though it's out of print. Or if you want to use the SR setting and don't mind houseruling a bit, download the Fuzion rules and the CyberFuzion plugin http://www.mecha.com/~conkle/fuzion/index.html

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ice Phisherman posted:

What Fat Twitter Man said is wise(GURPS isn't a terrible system, just not well suited to the type of game).

Try a mid level game, or a mercenaries game. 350BP, and having everyone realize that being a generalist with a couple of things they're above average at is the best way to survive when any player might need to talk thier way out of a serious fight, or be able to run the hell away/drive/use a mortar/whatever sometimes.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Even so, I'm just not into running something where I'm constantly rolling six or more dice. There has to be a better way.

I feel that the people writing Shadowrun didn't want to make something streamlined or fun as much as they wanted to make it different. So while d20 you roll maybe two dice maximum and in GURPS you're tossing three in Shadowrun you're tossing tons and tons of dice over and over again. Tallying up the dice was an absolute chore when I wasn't using a dice rolling program.

The less moving parts the better. And while Shadowrun has a nice bit of depth to it I find that in practice, the amount of d6's I have to toss is ludicrous. I'm probably going to keep my books and use them as sourcebooks and run it somehow else.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

To be honest, there's a lot of really good Savage Worlds conversions for Shadowrun. Overall it's a little less deadly than normal Shadowrun, but people have come up with drat good ways to implement cyberware, magic drain, contacts, all of the races, etc. In that system you're only rolling two dice on average, MAYBE 6 at a time for the really big time weapons but mostly it's 2-3 for weapons.

I've found, at least in my group, they like the setting but they also like rolling a good 8-12 dice for when they really need it. It does become a hassle as they become stronger/vehicles come into play because you're regularly talking about 10-20 dice at a time.

If you just want less dice, I really think a more "future" Shadowrun could be run in the Eclipse Phase setting from the same company, which just uses 2d10 as percentile, you'd just need to take out a lot of the goofy morphs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Compressing your post a bit, as these two paragraphs seem of concern..

Duke of Straylight posted:

Shadowrun semi-virgin here, bookmarked this thread just to hear that question. I'm in. Uhh, I don't think I'm going to Toxx myself before I see what the campaign is about though, I'd have had a hell of a time fitting any character I'd want to play into, say, that game where everyone was a biker (no offense intended to its GM).

[...]

The GM said my character was neat, though, so I was thinking of seeing if I could use him in this game. The concept is a slightly naive but not pansy Yakutian dwarven hermetic mage, with a background that sounds pretty terrible in all my attempts to compress it down to a few sentences :shobon:.

..and I can tell you that I will be a lot stricter in enforcing group cohesion this time around. You will all be expected to create characters that know one another, or who are willing to conform (in whatever way desired, of course) to a group already formed. Both are equally acceptable! After all, 'Runners often die, double cross others or have to lay low, forcing a group to accept new members.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I apologize about that. After running a PbP game and a CYOA of the same nature for a combined total of two years I ran out of steam. There was other stuff too, but I really don't like to talk about that.

Yeah well, I suffer from exactly the same problems as you do, so rest assured that you have my complete understanding. I still think you're awesome, and hope some day to see the Dapper CYOA restart!

Mohawk', Duke, YOTC, Three Step and The Gate put down. As for now, it is still non-binding, and as mentioned game start could take at least a month, as I like to plan things out, and give proper room for character development.

Is there any city or setting in particular you'd like to play, and what are your preferences for themes? I'll try to work requests in.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

Is there any city or setting in particular you'd like to play, and what are your preferences for themes? I'll try to work requests in.

I've got one request, and the be that a grenadier/mortarman/demoman actually be useful. One of my players had an awesome time blowing the hell out of things, and I'm wanting a chance at it myself.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Not really desiring anything in particular, but I do like Seattle as a setting. Good setting, lots of info, and I know the most about it from my limited previous playing. But really, anything works; I don't have any specific concept in mind, but there are several floating about that I can focus on when the time comes to actually make characters and so forth.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

Even so, I'm just not into running something where I'm constantly rolling six or more dice. There has to be a better way.

I feel that the people writing Shadowrun didn't want to make something streamlined or fun as much as they wanted to make it different. So while d20 you roll maybe two dice maximum and in GURPS you're tossing three in Shadowrun you're tossing tons and tons of dice over and over again. Tallying up the dice was an absolute chore when I wasn't using a dice rolling program.

The less moving parts the better. And while Shadowrun has a nice bit of depth to it I find that in practice, the amount of d6's I have to toss is ludicrous. I'm probably going to keep my books and use them as sourcebooks and run it somehow else.

This really is more of a personal preference thing than an inherent flaw of dice pool systems, which have been the basis of more than a few successful RPGs. Adjusting does take a little while, but even pools in the mid to high teens don't take very long once you've gotten used to grabbing out successes and doing a quick scan to see if you glitched or whatever. I find I'm actually quite a bit faster at it than doing margins of success in some one dice systems, and that's mostly just a matter of familiarity and practice. Plus I find there is something undeniably more satisfying about the tactile sensation of throwing a shitload of dice than merely adding a +2 modifier to my total. Not saying that you're wrong to translate it into another system that works better for you, just that dice pool systems aren't really grossly hard or overly time consuming to implement or "different just to be different"- they exhibit very different statistical patterns than single dice systems and SR4 is undoubtedly a (necessary) simplification and streamlining of the previous SR dice pool system. I personally am someone who likes dice pool systems but they really do seem to work better with fixed rather than modified target numbers.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the 4e setting outside of what's in the corebook so I'm pretty open for whatever setting. I'm leaning towards some kind of melee/close-quarters character, but that's liable to change; I can come up with whatever though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

MohawkSatan posted:

I've got one request, and the be that a grenadier/mortarman/demoman actually be useful. One of my players had an awesome time blowing the hell out of things, and I'm wanting a chance at it myself.

That can definitely be arranged. Be advised, though:

1) I consider the explosions rules a bit tricky, and may rewrite them. Not to anything less useful of course, just an aside so you don't cram them to hell now :)

2) You need to be able to do other things. I'm a firm believer in writing many runs and letting them and the players interact with one another, and so there WILL be demo work available. That said, not every run needs big explosions, and as I sometimes take the realist approach, using explosives when you could have done something else might attract unwanted attention.

The Gate posted:

Not really desiring anything in particular, but I do like Seattle as a setting. Good setting, lots of info, and I know the most about it from my limited previous playing. But really, anything works; I don't have any specific concept in mind, but there are several floating about that I can focus on when the time comes to actually make characters and so forth.

I personally would not like to go Seattle. The setting is getting a little old to me, and the kicker is I love using canon, and don't know a lot about the place. Also, all my friends who play are horrible 'sperglords that will memorize everything about a given canon and try to interrupt me when I slip.

Thus, I prefer less-fleshed out spots with some history, such as Hamburg, Istanbul or whatever. We can even try our hand at a previously uncharted sprawl!

ThreeStep posted:

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the 4e setting outside of what's in the corebook so I'm pretty open for whatever setting. I'm leaning towards some kind of melee/close-quarters character, but that's liable to change; I can come up with whatever though.

Combat characters will be useful, always so. But again, keep in mind that it is better to be able at several things, even if characters who specialize heavily will become very good at what they do.

Perhaps you could post your emails so we don't fill up the SR thread with game discussion?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Sounds good. Email is SATheGate at gmail dot com.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
The best city is bug city.

No, not really. You can always use things like the California free state or the Bahamas or odd European nations. When you pick a Setting I'll work on a character concept.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's cool. My current idea is somewhere in northern or eastern Europe, but I'll let you know as we get along. Being PM-less, could I con you into giving me your email addy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
NOTHING TO SEE HERE

YOTC fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 8, 2010

• Locked thread