Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Assholes.

Glad you and the missus are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tentacle Party posted:

yet somehow managed to bounce off and keep the bike upright.

Is it a crash if you keep the bike upright?

drat, though...what a story. Glad you and the missus are ok. That's one for the history books.

Now comes the point where they accuse you of speeding, though. Despite the fact that there is no way they could have seen you, you just must have been speeding to COME OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE THAT. :sigh:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Z3n posted:

Now comes the point where they accuse you of speeding, though. Despite the fact that there is no way they could have seen you, you just must have been speeding to COME OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE THAT. :sigh:

Nah, i've already seen the police report. With his admission and all the witnesses i'm ok.

And yes its a crash in my books :/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tentacle Party posted:

Nah, i've already seen the police report. With his admission and all the witnesses i'm ok.

And yes its a crash in my books :/

You must live in some mystical land where the police actually do something when there's an accident, rather than spending a decade writing up a stupid report. :ohdear:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
The old man is in the job, so he looked it up for me :banjo:

He rides a woefully underwhelming R1200RT police bike.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Good to hear you are ok physically and also legally, nothing worse then being hit by a car then having the driver trying to save their own skin by blaming you.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

DiZ posted:

Good to hear you are ok physically and also legally, nothing worse then being hit by a car then having the driver trying to save their own skin by blaming you.

Happened to me in my first wreck, that sucked.

Made a happy profit in the second one because it was flagrantly her fault!

glad you're ok, tentacle

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Whoa, i just went down to the holding yard to check out the bike. There is almost no damage. I took pictures and will post them as soon as i get home. All i could see was a scuff mark on the fairing, the crash slider and mirror is scratched and the bottom of the fork has some scratches. The windscreen is also cracked but thats it! Unless the fork is now bent, or there is some rim damage i couldnt see, i dont see this being a huge repair job.

Yet the car will need a new quarter panel, door skin and mirror.

SV: 1 Opel: 0

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

Whoa, i just went down to the holding yard to check out the bike. There is almost no damage. I took pictures and will post them as soon as i get home. All i could see was a scuff mark on the fairing, the crash slider and mirror is scratched and the bottom of the fork has some scratches. The windscreen is also cracked but thats it! Unless the fork is now bent, or there is some rim damage i couldnt see, i dont see this being a huge repair job.

Odds are good that your forks are bent just enough to no longer be useable

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

If they're stock SV forks, they bend pretty easy. Get them checked out very carefully. What are your options insurance wise? Are you interested in keeping the bike?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I guess i would be happy either way, keeping it or it being written off. Its a great bike, but there are other great bikes out there. I'm covered insurance wise, as it was a rental car it was fully insured. I have comprehensive too not that i need to use it.

How can i ensure that the assessor / repairer checks the forks? If i get them checked at a later date will they care?

Eh the pictures are pretty boring, but the bottom of the fork is ground down to bare metal in a small area.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

I guess i would be happy either way, keeping it or it being written off. Its a great bike, but there are other great bikes out there. I'm covered insurance wise, as it was a rental car it was fully insured. I have comprehensive too not that i need to use it.

How can i ensure that the assessor / repairer checks the forks? If i get them checked at a later date will they care?

Eh the pictures are pretty boring, but the bottom of the fork is ground down to bare metal in a small area.

If they're ground down, that'd mean they're replacing the fork lower, at least. The assessor will usually basically mark down everything that's been damaged for replacement, no matter how minor. This is how you get the "scratch on the frame" totals...a minor, superficial scrape on the frame and you have 2000$ in labor alone, plus the cost of the replacement frame.

I'd say you should just repair the essentials yourself and pocket/upgrade with the extra cash. Occasionally I've been in a situation where the buy back was low and the value/ease of repair of the bike was high and have purchased a second bike with the insurance payout, minus a few $ for cheap repairs/used part replacement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

I thought my accident on my naked SV was minor, but when I took it to the shop, they wrote up a $5200 repair bill since they fix *everything*, so it's being written off. Thankfully, it's not my insurance doing it.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
:ohdear: If thats the case then i would rather buy it back and make it naked, slap some GSXR forks and wheels on there and call it a day. I really cant think of another bike i would want!

Are SV fairings made from some rare polymer harvested from some gay blue cat planet somewhere?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

:ohdear: If thats the case then i would rather buy it back and make it naked, slap some GSXR forks and wheels on there and call it a day. I really cant think of another bike i would want!

Are SV fairings made from some rare polymer harvested from some gay blue cat planet somewhere?

All fairings are like that, at least when you look at OEM prices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fairc the only things I would say *needed* to be done were the fork seal and clutch lever. All the other repairs were for cosmetic stuff.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
First spill. tl;dr - I'm fine, broke plastics, kicking myself for two reasons.

Yesterday was the first time NoVA has been above freezing and/or not suffering ridiculous winds in like 3 weeks. So I decided to leave work early and de-tarp the bike and try to put some miles on it to keep everything moving.

Everything is cool: go out, have some fun, get a chance to try out the Olympia mega-jacket I got from Terminus Est (works great), get a Döner, chat it up a while at a local gun shop, come home.

Get to the last downhill before my house, and here comes a car up the center of the road. As it's a 1.5 lane road, I have to make for the shoulder/parking lane. I try to miss a patch of packed snow and fail. "Oh gently caress, why am I on the ground?" Turn signal punches through the fairing.

Looks fine right?

doh.

Kicking myself because I should have stopped at the top of the hill when I saw the car and waited for him to go by. I came out that way and knew the road was questionable, I should have anticipated him taking up the center of the road due to the road condition.

Kicking myself part deux - There is a common mod for the ex500 where you remove the metal mounting bracket from the front turn signals so that they become break-away rather than break-your-plastic. I'd been lazy and hadn't done it yet.

So, I guess that's an object lesson in planning ahead, on both counts.

e: oh, right, and going out when you know part of your route is questionable is not a great idea either.

televiper fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 8, 2010

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
drat that sucks dude. Maybe you could look at fitting some indicators from another bike thats has bendy ones. Maybe the newer ninjas have them?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not me, but a guy I was riding in a group with today. Turns out a Landcruiser v Ducati Sport1000 is 2-1. Landcruiser had it's RHS Front tyre ripped off and the rim destroyed, Duc is toast and he was choppered out with an extra joint in his shin and another in his foot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not me, but a guy I was riding in a group with today. Turns out a Landcruiser v Ducati Sport1000 is 2-1. Landcruiser had it's RHS Front tyre ripped off and the rim destroyed, Duc is toast and he was choppered out with an extra joint in his shin and another in his foot.

Wow, that loving blows. Who's fault was it? Hope he heals fast.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No ones quite sure what happened as the guy behind him came round the corner after it had happened, but it's probably his fault. The people in the Landcruiser said he was on the wrong side of the road and hit them, but the cops said he was definitely already off the bike and sliding when he hit them.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
We know what his prognosis is yet, is he going to survive? Was he geared up?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh yeah, he'll live. Just gonna be a bit sore and sorry for a while. He was wearing leather jacket, boots (one of which got ripped off), kevlar jeans and gloves. Not much gravel rash, just a few bumps and scrapes. And the two compound fractures obviously.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oh yeah, he'll live. Just gonna be a bit sore and sorry for a while. He was wearing leather jacket, boots (one of which got ripped off), kevlar jeans and gloves. Not much gravel rash, just a few bumps and scrapes. And the two compound fractures obviously.

Crap dude, I saw your status earlier and thought someone might have come off, where were you riding?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently he's going to be ok, his wife made it to the hospital and has already given him poo poo for falling off. Always follow Rule 1 people.

DiZ posted:

Crap dude, I saw your status earlier and thought someone might have come off, where were you riding?

On this road, about 5km out of Tarana.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

an extra joint in his shin

In case you were wondering, it hurts a bit when this happens. Hope he can walk properly when he's healed up (around July).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well my roommate just had a crash about an hour ago. He had just left for the girlfriends house on the old Yamaha DT250 when the other roommate called me. He made it around the corner and down the hill then the bike died. He pulled over and turned the fuel on and it kicked to life. Started rolling (he guesses 10mph max) made it about 25 feet then a lady in a van turned across his path of travel.

Dented the van a bit. Broke one of the front shocks where it holds the axle, dented the tank, destroyed the hub and broke the front fender. He had full gear on and is ok but shoulder is a bit sore. Broke the plastic air vent stuff off the back of his Arai and scratched it up a bit.

Remember even in your neighborhood going slow poo poo can happen. He made it 4-5 blocks max when this happened. She claimed she didn't see him, they exchanged info and we hauled the bike home.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Man, gently caress rain.

I totally disregarded the rule where you don't loving ride a motorcycle if it's just started raining, and it bit me in the rear end.

On the dr650, making a right on a freeway offramp, doing maybe 30, looks like the front hit a wet tar snake or spot of oil or something, because it washed right out and lowsided me. Slid for a while with the bike on top of my right leg, hit the curb gently and stopped.

Not a drat scratch or bruise on me. My Sliders cargo pants didn't even wear through the outer layer, much less the knit kevlar underneath. The sliding ground off half the buckle on my Aerostich Combats, but it still functions okay.

The bike, infuriatingly, continues its invincible streak. Hell, it didn't even stop running. The handguards with the solid aluminum bar inside were, once again, worth their weight in gold and saved all my levers and controls, and maybe my hands too, who knows. A little scrapey scrape on the back corner of my luggage rack, and a little bit on my rear brake pedal, and that's it.

VVVVVVV Well played.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 18, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Nate Falls posted:

Man, gently caress rain.
Forgive me if I looked at the thread in the forum list, saw who the last post was from (and that there was only one new post), and thought, "Yes, yes - I bet he does, at that."

Glad you're OK.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
drat Nate, glad you're okay. I was debating going out in the poo poo yesterday, but I felt a tremor in the force and decided against it.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Nate Falls posted:

Not a drat scratch or bruise on me. My Sliders cargo pants didn't even wear through the outer layer, much less the knit kevlar underneath. The sliding ground off half the buckle on my Aerostich Combats, but it still functions okay.

I'm glad you said this, I have the same pants and boots and will feel more confident in them now.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

televiper posted:

First spill. tl;dr - I'm fine, broke plastics, kicking myself for two reasons.

So how'd the jacket hold up for you? Glad it was just the signals and nothing else more serious.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Terminus Est posted:

So how'd the jacket hold up for you? Glad it was just the signals and nothing else more serious.

Worked great! Seems none the worse for the wear. Also, it was dark and below freezing when I was coming home and it did a super job of keeping the cold out.

On the recommendation of a local racing outfit, I sent the plastics to Empire GP to get the damage repaired. The quote for the job is only ~$150, but shipping was another $150. Stupid giant one-piece fairings :(

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Aw poo poo.

My girlfriend's version of what happened:

Tsaven's Girlfriend posted:

I was soooo excited to ride my super sweet motorcycle and look cool and pick up the ladiezzz that, while on my way to cuddle my girlfriend and be a total fag with her, I neglected to take into consideration that I live in Illinois, and it's January. So I'm riding my bike and doing approximately 5 million miles per hour on an on ramp, and decide that wet patch up ahead is water, despite it being in the 20s. So I'm like "VROOM!" and then all of a sudden, ICE HAPPENED. I was like "We're going down! Women and children first!" and dove headlong off my bike. It was super badass, because I was on a motorcycle. I realized, during my 50 foot powerslide/prolonged slow-motion dive, that my bike was on my legs. I was like "Oh snap" and powerfully and manfully kicked my bike off myself. Anyway, I look super hardcore, because my helmet is scratched up a bit, and there's some black marks and scrapes on my super sexy high-vis yellow suit.

Then I got to my girlfriend's, and she was like "Dude, you are such a tard." and then we had sex. Moral of the story: I get laid when I do stupid poo poo!

Okay, what ACTUALLY happened.

tl;dr - Hit a patch of ice on an onramp getting onto the highway at about 30-35mph, bike flopped down and we slid along the road about 90 feet.

Gear worn: Olympia Phantom suit, Olympia winter gloves, Nolan N102 helmet, Matterhorn gently caress-off 12" steel-toe and shank work boots.

Outcome: I'm fine, and the bike's fine.

Suit's a bit rashed, helmet has a small scuff on the chinbar. The Happy Trails hard bag took the majority of the slide, and is ground through on the front bottom corner. The bag mount is a bit tweaked, as is the front crash bar which took the rest of the slide. Other then that, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the bike, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Slightly sore right ankle

Longer:

Well, yeah, I was getting on I-294 northbound for the ~90 mile ride up to Milwaukee. From Chicago. In January. This might have been my first mistake. For the last week or so, it's been dry and occasionally touching above freezing, enough that all the salt and de-icers have had time to work, and all the roads are dry and clear. Well, mostly. Swinging around the onramp, there was one streelight that was out, just one . . . and that dark area held a small river of snow-melt from the warm-ish day, that had now frozen.

I only saw the slightly darker spot when the headlights hit them, and I thought I was far enough over to the left to miss it, but I wasn't. The bike went down surprisingly softly, none of the flick flick toss stuff that happens with highsides, and then it and I were siding along.

I'm not totally sure how it all happened, but I think the bike washed out and fell to the inside of the turn, and I came down sort of on top of it and hit the pavement with my forarm, rolling onto my back. Although I think I remember seeing the gauges as I was sliding along, so I'm not sure.

As it all happened, thought process and sequence of events was something like this:

*Bike starts to wash out*

Aw poo poo am I going to crash? Was that ice? gently caress I thought that was just water, the weather channel said it was still 33 degrees

*bike and I are sliding along the pavement*

Wow, going down was gentle. And yup, gently caress I'm crashing. Goddamit I just got this bike.

"Bike is now sliding on my legs, and as I'm sliding with it I'm wriggling around trying to kick it off me*

gently caress gently caress gently caress I don't want to break my legs gently caress gently caress ow my ankle

*keeps sliding, still trying to get out from under the bike*

dammit I hope no one saw me, I probably looked like an idiot wiping out at a granny speed on a gentle onramp. gently caress I hope if there's a car coming they DO see me

*bike and I finally stop sliding, I get my leg out from under it, and scramble to my feet. I have no idea if the bike is still running or not, but I dive for the kill switch anyway while glancing down the onramp to make sure there's no one coming, which there isn't*

Ah motherfucker.

I'm up, I'm moving, nothing's broken. Right ankle is a little sore, but doesn't hurt to move or put weight on, so I'm not worried. I pick the bike up and get it off the road to asses the damage. Looking it over, the saddle box took 90% of the slide, it's worn through on a corner and the rack is tweeked. The crash bar looks a little tweeked as well, but there's not a scuff on the fairing, all the controls are fine, with some scuffing on the hand guard. I snapped some pics with my phone, but I don't think any of 'em came out. Looking back up the road, I can see about 80 feet of silvery streaks along the pavement.

I text the girlfriend, let her know I'm okay, and briefly consider going back to the house, putting the bike in the garage, and taking the car up to Milwaukee. But see, that would have been the smart thing to do. And I'm not smart.

So I got back on it and road up to Milwaukee, into the arms of an anxious girlfriend.

I did the majority of the sliding on my back and side. There's some rashing on the shoulder and elbow, but most of the suit is just road grime.

Tore a chunk out of my boot, down to the steel toe cap. Goodby, waterproofness.

Chin bar on the helmet held fine, the latching and hinging mechinism still works and I don't think I actually hit it hard . . . but I know you're all going to tell me I have to replace it.

Another paint chip on the other side of the chin bar. Not sure if this was there before the wipeout, though.

Lessons learned: Maybe I should stop being so hardcore and riding in winter. Or at least, only riding in the daytime when I have a better chance of seeing random ice spots.

Also? Boots. loving real boots. I was LUCKY AS poo poo that I'm away from this without any sort of damage to my legs, as the majority of the slide had the bike on top of my ankles and shins. I've known I want real boots for a while now, but this doubly reinforces it. I'm broke at the moment, but gently caress it, this is going on the credit card and I'm getting rear end-raped on interest. Because I need real boots. Now.

And at least a CE-rated back pad thing for the suit. Right now all that's in the suit is the foam pad, and looking at the rubbings on the suit in the pattern of the back protector, I think it did a great job. Next time might not be so gentle, so I want something better protecting my spine.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ugh, sucks about the bike. Can those suits be reused after a crash?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Jesus man, I'm glad you're OK. Having my bike land on top of my legs should I go over is a fear that always lingers in the back of my mind, but them's the risks, right?

Does Nolan offer any sort of service where you can mail them the helmet and they test it to see if it's still safe to use? Maybe you could pick up a cheapie HJC or something while the Nolan is being mailed back and forth.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Was that your new bike? :doh:

Glad you're okay. And if you GF really wrote that, then she's a keeper.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Good idea on the boots. A good pair for $250 is gonna cost less than medical bills for a shattered ankle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Also? Boots. loving real boots. I was LUCKY AS poo poo that I'm away from this without any sort of damage to my legs, as the majority of the slide had the bike on top of my ankles and shins. I've known I want real boots for a while now, but this doubly reinforces it. I'm broke at the moment, but gently caress it, this is going on the credit card and I'm getting rear end-raped on interest. Because I need real boots. Now.

I try to avoid preaching about gear too much because it gets bothersome for everyone involved, but I'm glad you're making the choice to pick up some real boots. Leather work boots will stop abrasion nicely, but aren't going to provide any ankle protection at all.

Glad you're alright, glad the bike is ok, stay safe out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava's girlfriend posted:

"Dude, you are such a tard."
If her response was within 12 miles of actually being this - she may just be a keeper. Because she's right, and she seems to appreciate that about you. =)

Good on ya for continuing the ride, even.

• Locked thread