Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pneub posted:

Speaking of Chyna, was she ever any good at actually wrestling? All I can remember is her acting as the (180 lb) "muscle" of DX, and I was WCW back then so I don't recall any woman's matches.

Chyna was in a weird position. It was laughable to have her wrestle other women as she was just too physically dominant for her to reasonably lose but they weren't willing to stick with her wrestling the men regularly. She was believable in the IC title hunt against Jericho, I don't remember thinking it was ridiculous or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Chyna was in a weird position. It was laughable to have her wrestle other women as she was just too physically dominant for her to reasonably lose but they weren't willing to stick with her wrestling the men regularly. She was believable in the IC title hunt against Jericho, I don't remember thinking it was ridiculous or anything.

Wasn't her IC Title run also against Jeff Jarrett?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pneub posted:

Speaking of Chyna, was she ever any good at actually wrestling? All I can remember is her acting as the (180 lb) "muscle" of DX, and I was WCW back then so I don't recall any woman's matches.

No, she was a really poor worker who looked ridiculous in there even against light heavyweight sized guys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kdrudy posted:

Chyna was only as good as her opponent. Foley and Jericho made her look much better than she actually was, and Kane helped her out a good bit. She threw some bad-looking punches and the WWF was always careful who they put her in there with. She never really actually wrestled full matches all that much. She was in tag matches or garbage matches because it always seemed like she was never really allowed to be hit by male wrestlers. Whether this is because she was bad at it or the WWF was afraid of bad press, who knows? It might have been because Chyna complained about it. I remember rumors she became a huge diva and very selfish, believing herself as one of the biggest stars of the company. However, the WWF painted itself into a corner with her because she was so over, and at the same time could not perform as a male wrestler. She got big pops so it was kind of weird if all she did was beat no-names in jobber matches, but neither could she go toe-to-toe with top stars like Austin and Taker unless it was always under some weird stipulation where she was helped immensely and was a non-factor in her match.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Chyna was only as good as her opponent. Foley and Jericho made her look much better than she actually was, and Kane helped her out a good bit. She threw some bad-looking punches and the WWF was always careful who they put her in there with. She never really actually wrestled full matches all that much. She was in tag matches or garbage matches because it always seemed like she was never really allowed to be hit by male wrestlers. Whether this is because she was bad at it or the WWF was afraid of bad press, who knows? It might have been because Chyna complained about it. I remember rumors she became a huge diva and very selfish, believing herself as one of the biggest stars of the company. However, the WWF painted itself into a corner with her because she was so over, and at the same time could not perform as a male wrestler. She got big pops so it was kind of weird if all she did was beat no-names in jobber matches, but neither could she go toe-to-toe with top stars like Austin and Taker unless it was always under some weird stipulation where she was helped immensely and was a non-factor in her match.

That's fair, she was in the ring with guys that could carry just about anyone. I guess her not looking ridiculous out there was that she was booked well.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Pie The Grand posted:

Anybody been to JR's BBQ place in Norman? I made the road trip from St. Louis to Dallas for Christmas break, and I'm about to go back in a few days and I always pass by it. Problem is, when I leave from STL I get there too late, when I leave from Dallas I get there too early. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to adjust my driving schedule.

I've been twice actually! It's a cool place, the BBQ is really good and there's lots of memorabilia throughout... even old wrestling posters in the bathroom. If it's not too far out of your way, I say go for it, but you won't regret for the rest of your life if you don't. It is surreal to see a picture of JR on a sign as you're driving down the highway...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

That's fair, she was in the ring with guys that could carry just about anyone. I guess her not looking ridiculous out there was that she was booked well.

Chyna was booked best when she was forearming dudes in the balls.

She didn't need to go beyond her abilities, then.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chyna is the female Khali.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Seeing Stevie Ray pop up in the picture thread has reminded me of something. Did he and Booker T have a double team finishing move that looked like Triple H's Pedigree? I vaguely remember something like it but can't find any evidence of it at all..

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Serious Question: Why is it that American women are incapable of having ***+ matches? lack of muscle power or a sociological condition or what

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
they aren't.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
well I worded it like an rear end in a top hat but how come there are less "god" diva matches (relative to number of all diva matches) compared to males? They're on tv every week. How come the entire gender only produced like two great matches in the past decade?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Web Jew.0 posted:

well I worded it like an rear end in a top hat but how come there are less "god" diva matches (relative to number of all diva matches) compared to males? They're on tv every week. How come the entire gender only produced like two great matches in the past decade?

You still worded it like an rear end in a top hat, I have no idea what a god diva match is. If you mean good, the short answer is that WWE doesn't want good workers, they want hot chicks. They could hire every woman in Shimmer and Japan but they believe their audience doesn't want that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DannoMack posted:

That makes sense.

I always thought it was weird to build up Jericho's debut to the huge pop he debuted to as Y2J, then proceed to have the Rock insult him and book him to lose to Chyna. Vince probably wouldn't give Sting's character any real respect because he didn't "make him".

There was a writing change in between those two events. Jericho's debut was under Vince Russo, as was him interrupting Big Show and Undertaker, taunting Shamrock in a shark cage, and having Howard Finkle as his manager. All of his stuff with Chyna came after Russo left. I suppose it was Chris Kreski.

As for The Rock insulting Jericho, you have to be joking. For five straight minutes, Jericho had insulted the Rock and the WWF. Did you really expect him to just stand there and take it without saying anything in return? Do you honestly see that as a legitimate complaint?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Web Jew.0 posted:

They don't hire wrestlers.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Serious Question: Why is it that American women are incapable of having ***+ matches? lack of muscle power or a sociological condition or what

How many male wrestlers get good enough to have five-star classics in the first three years of their careers? Not more than the tiniest of handfuls.

How many "divas" last much longer than that? The answer is about the same.

By the time a female wrestler has enough experience to be more than passable in the ring, she'll be "too old" for the WWE.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

rotinaj posted:

Chyna was booked best when she was forearming dudes in the balls.

She didn't need to go beyond her abilities, then.

When she was shaking Marlena like a loving rag doll was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjgIV-jpkY
About 3:30 SIGH.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Goldust was loving amazing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

You know what would own and is completely supported by the rules? An open ladder match. Just hang the belt up there and say the first superstar to get it is the winner. Locker room emptying, announcers climbing, it would be great.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
Was Ron Reis (aka Yeti) any good?
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/r/ron-reis.html

He is tall as hell and had a decent look when he isn't wrapped in toilet paper.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

shimmer is full of more than capable american women capable of putting on such matches

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Generic CAW posted:

Was Ron Reis (aka Yeti) any good?
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/r/ron-reis.html

He is tall as hell and had a decent look when he isn't wrapped in toilet paper.

Reis is commonly accepted as one of the worst wrestlers ever, Giant Gonzalez level. Although he was responsible for a great behind the scenes moment in WCW where Paul Wight was getting an ego and Arn Anderson (I think) says "The only difference between you and Reis is you're getting a push."

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

You know what would own and is completely supported by the rules? An open ladder match. Just hang the belt up there and say the first superstar to get it is the winner. Locker room emptying, announcers climbing, it would be great.

Terrible idea.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!

WeaselWeaz posted:

Reis is commonly accepted as one of the worst wrestlers ever, Giant Gonzalez level. Although he was responsible for a great behind the scenes moment in WCW where Paul Wight was getting an ego and Arn Anderson (I think) says "The only difference between you and Reis is you're getting a push."

After further investigation, I believe you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MewmqIedokE

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why was a Yeti wrapped up like a Mummy?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Terrible idea.

Why, the hardcore 24/7 matches worked well enough under essentially the same rules.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

The A-Team Van posted:

Why was a Yeti wrapped up like a Mummy?

The only explaination I can think of is they saw Reis doing the Mummy gimmick in SMW, but it's like asking why Shiavone pronounced it YEH-TAY. It was WCW, there is no logic.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

Reis is also on Raven's albatross list (a list of terrible botchtastic sidekicks that Raven got saddled with during his career), alongside Van Hammer, Tori (not Wilson), and JT Southern.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Has Undertaker ever gone on the record about the Montreal incident?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Generic CAW posted:

After further investigation, I believe you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MewmqIedokE

It's always startling to me how sharp a turn WCW took when Hall and Nash arrived.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DannoMack posted:

No. He doesn't go on record about almost anything backstage.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Would only work in a DDT-style fed, though I'd kill for some of the old 24/7 slapstick wrestling to be brought back.

Why hasn't Chikara ever tried to get on TV? It's family-friendly and quite well produced. I don't think it'd be hard to get backing.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Seeing Stevie Ray pop up in the picture thread has reminded me of something. Did he and Booker T have a double team finishing move that looked like Triple H's Pedigree? I vaguely remember something like it but can't find any evidence of it at all..

I don't think they ever had it as a double-team move, but after they stopped tagging Stevie Ray used a lovely Pedigree as a finish. Think of a Pedigree but lifting further and holding the guy upside down like the setup to some weird Tiger Driver sorta thing before letting him flop back onto his knees. He called it the Slap Jack and it sucked.

Still miss Stevie Ray though, that guy was amazing in every way. Big, scary, funny, hilarious announcer, more shoulder scars than Booker T. Couldn't wrestle worth a drat but no biggie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DannoMack posted:

The only backstage stuff I've ever heard about Undertaker at Montreal is him telling Vince that if he didn't go apologize to Bret, the entire locker room was walking out, so Vince went to talk to Bret and got punched in the face.

Captain Strange posted:

Why hasn't Chikara ever tried to get on TV? It's family-friendly and quite well produced. I don't think it'd be hard to get backing.

Because Chikara is basically wrestling's biggest inside joke. If you take an average fan who watches Raw and a little TNA, and show him a program with wrestlers named Player Uno and Player Dos and El Hijo del Ice Cream, and Dave Coulier running the show, the general reaction is going to be, "What in loving hell is this?"

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2010

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Terrible idea.

It could work if done properly.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Timby posted:

Because Chikara is basically wrestling's biggest inside joke. If you take an average fan who watches Raw and a little TNA, and show him a program with wrestlers named Player Uno and Player Dos and El Hijo del Ice Cream, and Dave Coulier running the show, the general reaction is going to be, "What in loving hell is this?"

I think it could work if its marketed more towards kids and its given a more comic book presentation, which it kind of is. Give it a cartonish polish, push the fact that it is the true family frendly choice in Pro Wrestling today. And if the inring product is still the quality it is now, you still get the hardcore wrestling fans.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 5, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I think it could work if its marketed more towards kids and its given a more comic book presentation, which it kind of is. Give it a cartonish polish, push the fact that it is the true family frendly choice in Pro Wrestling today. And if the inring product is still the quality it is now, you still get the hardcore wrestling fans.

Kids like edgy, that's why they were into WWF during the attitude era. Really, Chikara's best bet would be to sign a deal with G4, since they run stuff like Ninja Warrior.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
Someone brought up Orlando Jordan and statutory rape in the Impact thread.

Does anyone have any additional information on that?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Someone brought up Orlando Jordan and statutory rape in the Impact thread.

Does anyone have any additional information on that?

Allegedly he was fired from WWE for bringing his underage boyfriend to shows despite very strong warnings that doing so would get him fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Bret didn't really snub Vince on a handshake at the HOF did he?