Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Euro talkbass user was kind enough to get clips of the presets of the Markbass Super Synth:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1021221&content=songinfo&songID=8510304

Now I just have to save up about $450 =\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

PenguinBob posted:

hedgecore, you can get the Badass II though you'll have to file the saddles yourself. You could also get a Gotoh 201, which is like a more substantial version of the stock Fender bridge with grooves for the saddle screws.

I would be bringing it to a shop, where the guy said he would file down the saddles for me and setting it up just right. I've never gone to him with bridge work before, but all the other work he's done for me has been phenomenal. So I'm not too worried about that.

I've heard the Badass II adds a lot of weight to it (which I'm okay with, I used to play a 12lb aluminum necked Kramer), but it also boosts sustain considerably. Which sounds good to me. Any other differences I should be aware of?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

hedgecore posted:

I've heard the Badass II adds a lot of weight to it (which I'm okay with, I used to play a 12lb aluminum necked Kramer), but it also boosts sustain considerably. Which sounds good to me. Any other differences I should be aware of?
Nope, nothing else. Direct drop in replacement, Works very well. Adds a bit of sustain according to most. Not sure if I really notice much of a difference myself, but I like the feel of it, especially when playing with a pick and resting the palm of my hand on the bridge.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
So I've decieded to go with a combo amp instead of a stack. For the gigs I'm playing I don't really need a stack, and plus a combo is way cheaper.

For $120 I found a Peavey 1x15 bass combo amp with the original Black Widow speaker. Amp is from the Mark III series, and it apparently puts out 400 watts. (I would think the actual output is around 150watts) He said it's from the 80's.. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow... anyone have any experience with this amp or something similar from this time period?

I also found a Behringer ULTRABASS BX1200 120 watt Combo Bass Amp for $150.. but it's less power, and a smaller speaker for more $$.

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003
Those Peaveys are beastly amps. Pretty decent sound, but can usually keep up with gigging. Solid as a rock too.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Peavey bass amps in general
  • are loud as gently caress
  • have a pretty "flat" tone, and might or might not benefit from something like a Sansamp in front of them
  • can be used as battering rams or riot shields in addition to instrument amplification

The 400w rating is probably with an extension cab.

I've heard that Behringer does okay on studio gear and effects but anything of theirs with a speaker will die if you breathe on it wrong. That's just what I've heard.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, I've used a friends Peavy TNT (110 I think?) 90watt combo for a gig before and for many practices and it worked like a charm. The only thing it lacked a tad on the lows I needed occasionally.. I think this will do the trick.

the guy said this thing was heavy as hell.. I asked him how heavy and he replied "not quite 100lbs, but my wife cannot lift it.."

I also heard the Behringer gear is good studio gear, but isn't quite up to giging standards. I need something that will take a beating and last.. this peavy from the 80's seems like it already has, and will continue :)

Thanks for the advice guys.. anymore input is much appreciated!

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I had a Peavey TNT 115 (similar to what you're describing) and I literally sold it because it was too much of a pain in the rear end to move around. I was also a scrawny kid then, but even still. One lovely handle on top and no wheels. And I was playing multiple shows per weekend at that point. Just something to keep in mind.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

I r Pat posted:

Yeah, I've used a friends Peavy TNT (110 I think?) 90watt combo for a gig before and for many practices and it worked like a charm. The only thing it lacked a tad on the lows I needed occasionally.. I think this will do the trick.

My bassist uses a Peavey TNT. I think it might be a 115, I'm not quite sure, but it's pretty massive. I'd always looked down a bit on their gear in the past, but I love the tones he gets out of it. He's a pretty loving loud bastard with that thing most of the time.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
My current amp is one of those Peavy Mark III combos from the 80's and it sounds exactly like what you're describing. It says 400w and the actual output is around 135. It's heavy as gently caress and really isn't all that loud, tends to poo poo itself if too many knobs get turned up past 5, and is the biggest pain in the rear end to haul around. I hate this god damned thing, my guitarist could never hear me and even just thinking about moving it makes me happy the band died.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like when it becomes time to get a stack or a big combo, it will also be a good time to invest in a caster wheeled dolly.

E: Until then, it'll be the 20w 1x10 in the living room.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

hedgecore posted:

I had a Peavey TNT 115 (similar to what you're describing) and I literally sold it because it was too much of a pain in the rear end to move around. I was also a scrawny kid then, but even still. One lovely handle on top and no wheels. And I was playing multiple shows per weekend at that point. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm not too worried about portability.. I'm keeping this sucker at our practice space and when we need to gig I always have helping hands to help me move it to and from my car. Plus he installed heavy duty casters on it, so it can wheel on even ground.

Lovechop posted:

My bassist uses a Peavey TNT. I think it might be a 115, I'm not quite sure, but it's pretty massive. I'd always looked down a bit on their gear in the past, but I love the tones he gets out of it. He's a pretty loving loud bastard with that thing most of the time.

Indeed, those do get some nice tones out of it.. I guess when I check it out tomorrow I'll have to report back!

Space human being posted:

My current amp is one of those Peavy Mark III combos from the 80's and it sounds exactly like what you're describing. It says 400w and the actual output is around 135. It's heavy as gently caress and really isn't all that loud, tends to poo poo itself if too many knobs get turned up past 5, and is the biggest pain in the rear end to haul around. I hate this god damned thing, my guitarist could never hear me and even just thinking about moving it makes me happy the band died.

When you say its not all that loud, can it be heard over a pretty loud drummer and a half stack? I'm not wanting it to be booming, just be heard.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

I r Pat posted:

When you say its not all that loud, can it be heard over a pretty loud drummer and a half stack? I'm not wanting it to be booming, just be heard.

My drummer was always loud and never really noticed me. My guitarist did not like the idea of being quiet and could not hear me when my amp was cranked and pointed directly at his head with a stand. My guitarist was also dumb as gently caress so YMMV.

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
Welp, scratch that on the Marshall Combo, for I have found a Ibanez Soundwave 35 Combo at my local pawn shop for 59.99. And it works! Going to pick up Thursday Today. This thing is smooth.

Big Face fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 5, 2010

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Space human being posted:

My drummer was always loud and never really noticed me. My guitarist did not like the idea of being quiet and could not hear me when my amp was cranked and pointed directly at his head with a stand. My guitarist was also dumb as gently caress so YMMV.

Haha, I see now. My guitarist always compensates for me, even when I'm using my 60 watt practice amp during practice.. which can barely be heard.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
So I might be moving to America for a year in June and I want to take my bass with me.

Does anyone have experience with taking instruments on planes? Are guitars considered hand luggage or would I have to invest in a hard case and put it in the hold, which I'd rather not do, what with all the horror stories about baggage handlers being careless.

Also, would putting a bass in the hold of an aeroplane for 6-7 hours have any noticeable effect on it?

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
If you value your bass in any way, get one of those huge super solid flight cases for it. A bass is big enough that it's gonna have to go in the cargo hold.

A decent flight case should run you $200 or $300, in my experience. They make cheaper ones, but I've never trusted the quality. If no one comes forward with cheaper flight cases, unless you really need YOUR BASS, you might consider just buying a cheaper bass once you get down here. Sell it when you move back, and that would save you the trouble and worry of transporting.

After the flight, just take your bass home and let it sit for a few hours before opening the case, so it warms up/cools down gradually and you shouldn't have any trouble. Loosen the strings a bit before the trip, though.

And don't fly United. Because United breaks guitars.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Based on that, buying a secondhand bass while I'm out there sounds like the best idea and I'll probably end up doing that. Hopefully the exchange rate stays the way it is, because as it stands I can buy a high quality bass for what I'd pay for an entry level model over here!

Thanks for the advice :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I was going to look up the A/T thread I posted last year for bringing my bass at the airplane, but it looks like it's been archived.

So, here's the jist of it: Being too cheap to afford a hardshell and too paranoid to trust baggage handlers with it besides, I decided to bring my guitar as carry-on. All rules clearly stated it was oversized for carry-on, so I was paranoid about being turned away and missing my flight. But someone had suggested to just check in and act politely as if nothing was out of the ordinary. Which is precisely what I did. Didn't get any trouble at the security checkup, or with the flight attendants.

With my barely padded gig bag, I was able to fit the guitar in the overhead compartment and tucked my purse underneath it to prop it up against the top of the compartment. That way all the other passenger's carry-on baggage ended up underneath the guitar. All in all, I didn't have any problems.

But some caveats: This was a domestic Canadian flight. And with the recent Detroit attempt, security's been bumped up to even more retarded heights, so YMMV.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least you aren't flying with a double bass.. I once met a string quarter that said they all chipped in towards buying an extra seat for the bassist.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, finally made a quote does not equal edit error.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, I helped haul one off of a plane out in Seattle a couple years ago for a lady who was out auditioning for their symphony. She said it was a terrible thing to fly with, but she wasn't going to trust $4k in instrument to the cargo hold.

Made sure I'll never complain that my electric is heavy. :v:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If anyone happens across any 810 cabinet enclosures (speakers do not have to be functioning or even present) please let me know. I'm wanting to build a 215 cab and figured I can just retrofit an 810 w/ a new board and ports.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

At least you aren't flying with a double bass.. I once met a string quarter that said they all chipped in towards buying an extra seat for the bassist.

I flew to NYC with an upright in 2000, got a first class ticket for the bass and ended up being able to sit behind it because they didn't want the guy who paid for that ticket to have a Bass In His Face the whole flight.

I also got both my meal and my basses meal.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Might be picking up an Avatar 212 on the cheap. It's the 8 ohm version. The way I understand it, is I want a bass head that's rated as close to 500 watts (the cabs limit) as possible at 8 ohm. Does anyone have any suggestions on a bass head to put on top of this avatar?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

gotly posted:

Might be picking up an Avatar 212 on the cheap. It's the 8 ohm version. The way I understand it, is I want a bass head that's rated as close to 500 watts (the cabs limit) as possible at 8 ohm. Does anyone have any suggestions on a bass head to put on top of this avatar?

I use a GK 1001RB-II with mine. It's supposed to put out 480 watts at 8 ohms so it's just about perfect.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

warwick5s posted:

I flew to NYC with an upright in 2000, got a first class ticket for the bass and ended up being able to sit behind it because they didn't want the guy who paid for that ticket to have a Bass In His Face the whole flight.

I also got both my meal and my basses meal.

A first class ticket? Couldn't you have settled for some low end seating?

vvvvvvv :ughh:

h_double fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2010

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

h_double posted:

A first class ticket? Couldn't you have settled for some low end seating?

Probably not enough room in a coach seat. Basses are drat large.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Juaguocio posted:

I use a GK 1001RB-II with mine. It's supposed to put out 480 watts at 8 ohms so it's just about perfect.

How is this determined? A Markbass Little Mark II is rated at 500 watts but doesn't specify ohms. I don't want to buy the wrong head and blow up the amp :(

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

LMII is 300W at 8 ohms, 500W at 4 ohms. Do not go below 4 ohms. That head going through a 212 would be pretty loud though, I have the 12" combo and on its own it's quite loud; with a 210 cab also hooked up it gets ridiculously loud.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Bought myself a GK 700 RB (not II). From the manual:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf posted:

380W power amp output for Full-Range operation
only. They deliver 380 watts into 4 Ohms. Lower
impedances should not be used. Each jack has a
minimum of 8 Ohms each. Higher impedances such
as 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, or No Load are acceptable. No
damage will result from operating the amplifier with
the speakers disconnected.

It has two outputs in the back of the amp. If I want to get the full 380 watts, do I plug one of the outputs into the back of a 4 ohm cab or do I have to plug both in? It says "Each jack has a minimum of 8 Ohms each" which to me means I can't just grab a single 4 ohm cab and plug it in, unless it has two inputs or something?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

gotly posted:

Bought myself a GK 700 RB (not II). From the manual:

It has two outputs in the back of the amp. If I want to get the full 380 watts, do I plug one of the outputs into the back of a 4 ohm cab or do I have to plug both in? It says "Each jack has a minimum of 8 Ohms each" which to me means I can't just grab a single 4 ohm cab and plug it in, unless it has two inputs or something?

for the full output you would need to run each output into an 8-ohm cab.

edit: or i could also be completely wrong about that

PenguinBob fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 14, 2010

DrChu
May 14, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

for the full output you would need to run each output into an 8-ohm cab.

That's not true, the text of the manual says one four ohm cabinet can be used, and the illustration of the back panel says "one or two 8 ohm cabinets or one 4 ohm cabinet."

gotly - you'll be fine with one 4 ohm cabinet, but never plug both outputs of the amp into both inputs of a regular speaker cabinet

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Ok, thanks for the info. I thought it could handle one 4-ohm cab but I wasn't sure.

Would I be better off with 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm? I'm looking at the Avatar 2x12 mostly. My setup would be either 1 4 ohm Avatar 2x12 or a 8 ohm Avatar 2x12 with an 8 ohm 2x10 sitting on top.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Get the 8ohm Avatar if you think you might want to run two cabs at once. A 4ohm would pretty much restrict you from ever running it with another cab, unless you bought an amp that could handle loads under 4ohms.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Bourbon posted:

Get the 8ohm Avatar if you think you might want to run two cabs at once. A 4ohm would pretty much restrict you from ever running it with another cab, unless you bought an amp that could handle loads under 4ohms.
Pretty much this. I have a 4-ohm 2x12 and wish it were 8.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

Ok, thanks for the info. I thought it could handle one 4-ohm cab but I wasn't sure.

Would I be better off with 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm? I'm looking at the Avatar 2x12 mostly. My setup would be either 1 4 ohm Avatar 2x12 or a 8 ohm Avatar 2x12 with an 8 ohm 2x10 sitting on top.

It depends how much stuff you want to carry around. I have a 4ohm Avatar 212 and power/tone wise it can handle everything I need. The only downside for me is that its slightly too big for my trunk and it needs some persuasion to fit, so I'm looking to sell it. I recently got a pair of Aguilar GS112 and they sound good, but I think they lack a little of the big low end the Avatar has.

I'm not a fan of mixing different speaker sizes, my vote would be either to get the 4ohm Avatar, or a matching pair of 8ohm cabs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I need a tuner pedal, what would you guys recommend? Maybe pitchblack? I've heard good things about Boss's tuners, too.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2010

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

I need a tuner pedal, what would you guys recommend? Maybe pitchblack? I've heard good things about Boss's tuners, too.

I have the pitchblack and it works very well. They're a little cheaper than the boss units, and are true bypass (if that matters to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

Less than $100: Korg Pitchblack
Best/over $100: Turbo Tuner
New hotness if you can wait a bit: That new TC Electronics Polyphonic tuner

All imo, of course. I have the pitchblack and don't have any complaints, but I've seen videos and the Turbo Tuner tracks faster than anything else.