Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

glompix posted:

You might have problems with FPS games that grab the mouse, but I've had no problems (input, graphics, or otherwise) with games like WoW and Dragon Age. My guess is that you just wouldn't be able to get the mouse over to other screens, which kind of defeats the purpose. You just need to make sure to turn on the "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers" option so your game doesn't get minimized when moving between computers.

Yeah, there's a toggle which makes sure that Synergy won't minimize a game. I think it's scroll lock. Whenever I played a game that had a problem with it, I'd just hit Scroll Lock and it wouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If you just have Windows machines, give Input Director a look as well as synergy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

wolrah posted:

My day-to-day workspace. Unfortunately I can't find a good spot for my spare 22" LCD, so I'm down to one monitor on my desktop until I get around to buying a two-way vertical stand or something like that.

The VoIP phone and AppleTV are probably both moving down in to the shelf with the old Dell laptop in the near future to make room for the TV to come over to a better viewing angle when at the computer.

How big is that tv? You're going to be watching it while sitting at the computer?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

How big is that tv? You're going to be watching it while sitting at the computer?

Probably watches it from where the cat is sitting. On the bed.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Scuttle_SE posted:

So I did some upgrading of my hardware this Christmas

How's that Antec case? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new i5 system and can't decide between blowing the money on that case, or just going with a cheap centurion 5 by cooler master.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sir Nigel posted:

Probably watches it from where the cat is sitting. On the bed.

wolrah posted:

The VoIP phone and AppleTV are probably both moving down in to the shelf with the old Dell laptop in the near future to make room for the TV to come over to a better viewing angle when at the computer.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

lovely Blackberry picture taken with total disregard for lighting, but this is the cleanest the desk has been in a while. Originally my monitors were side by side and both UPS's were hiding behind the monitors but I got tired of the clutter (and the crick in my neck that would develop looking back and forth) so a few months back I did a bit of reorganizing and put my second monitor on top of it's PC behind my 24" monitor.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Just reorganized. Thought I would contribute.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002

Click here for the full 1024x591 image.

Sometimes I use the digital computer machine for e-pictures and cyber-chatting

Piston
Jun 18, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can we get a full size of the vampire detector?

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005
This is my desk. It seems my camera is pretty poor in low-light.

Click here for the full 1362x726 image.

e: fix table breakage

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Dead Pressed posted:

How's that Antec case? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new i5 system and can't decide between blowing the money on that case, or just going with a cheap centurion 5 by cooler master.

I love it (it's the P183 btw). Plenty of space, robust build...the only downside is that there is no way to mount the new Noctua 140mm fans in it.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

stop, or my mom will post posted:

This is my desk. It seems my camera is pretty poor in low-light.

Click here for the full 1362x726 image.

e: fix table breakage

Should get a coaster for that mug, never know when it will go over the sides and ruin your desk.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

malefactor posted:

This thread is also going to make you download synergy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3GHAruhAk

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Oh my God that's cool.

So wait, how does the program know what computer to route keyboard commands to, does it just route the keyboard to whatever computer your mouse is currently in?

And is this just for mouse and keyboard control, or can you do other crazy stuff like dragging and dropping files from one computer to another?

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

GreatGreen posted:

Oh my God that's cool.

So wait, how does the program know what computer to route keyboard commands to, does it just route the keyboard to whatever computer your mouse is currently in?

And is this just for mouse and keyboard control, or can you do other crazy stuff like dragging and dropping files from one computer to another?

Keyboard input is to whichever system the mouse is on. No file transfers, but there is a shared clipboard.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Every day I think I'm a little bit happier about having spent $10 on a membership here.

This is perfect for my desktop/laptop combo.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

shookwell posted:

Keyboard input is to whichever system the mouse is on. No file transfers, but there is a shared clipboard.
Though the shared clipboard sometimes decides to stop working.

But yes Synergy is loving amazing if you have multiple computers you want to work on at the same time with only one kb and mouse.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Might be worth looking at Synergy+ since synergy2 hasn't been updated since 2006.

http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

Might be worth looking at Synergy+ since synergy2 hasn't been updated since 2006.

http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/

Does it matter if you get the 32 or 64 bit version? If your main system is a 64 bit OS and the other system is a 32 bit OS, which version should you get?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Does it matter if you get the 32 or 64 bit version? If your main system is a 64 bit OS and the other system is a 32 bit OS, which version should you get?

I don't have any experience with this, but the client and the server are different executables, since you're running them on different computers. So if you're running the server on the 64bit computer, get the 64bit executable for that and the 32bit client for the other computer, or visa versa.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Malefactor and kri kri, thank you both so much for introducing me to Synergy. This is amazing.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

GreatGreen posted:

I wasn't aware of Synergy+, (been using Synergy for some time now) but I just upgraded to it and the setup you've described works. Communication between the 32 and 64 bit binaries works perfectly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Finished renovating the attic in GoonStyle™ and got the system up today. I am completely Living Like poo poo at the moment, but I'll get the wire managed as soon as it makes me angry which should be tomorrow.

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.
Oh my god Synergy+ with SynergyKM. :fap:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Beska posted:

Oh my god Synergy+ with SynergyKM. :fap:

What does SynergyKM do? I'm reading aroud but can't find anything other than a description that says basically the same thing as Synergy+.

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

GreatGreen posted:

What does SynergyKM do? I'm reading aroud but can't find anything other than a description that says basically the same thing as Synergy+.

It's basically a GUI for it, that sits in System Preferences so it isn't a standalone app. It's perfect for two reasons, for example, me: 1) I know gently caress all about coding and it hurt my brain trying to make it work, and 2) It starts up automatically when your computer starts up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

You'll only care about it if you use OS X.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Although if any multi-Mac users are wondering about it, Teleport is a much better alternative to Synergy if both the controller and the controlled computers are Macs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Although if any multi-Mac users are wondering about it, Teleport is a much better alternative to Synergy if both the controller and the controlled computers are Macs.
Thanks for the recommendation. My second Mac arrives tomorrow so I'll give this a shot!

Out of curiosity, what makes it better in your opinion?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

strwrsxprt posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. My second Mac arrives tomorrow so I'll give this a shot!

Out of curiosity, what makes it better in your opinion?

You can drag and drop files from system to system, for one. I also found it more reliable than synergy was.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

UserNotFound posted:

Updated my home setup: got an LG 32LH40 for a monitor/bedroom TV on my desk, and moved my lamp. This is pretty average for desk clutter, minus the dusting rag, and dinner plate.

The 32" screen looks MUCH bigger in person, and because it's an IPS panel the color is good enough for my photo work, and the viewing angle is good enough that there's no problems viewing from about 45 degrees off center from my bed. DirecTV2PC is great, so I don't have to mess with another box and cables on my desk :D

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's a 32". It's borderline inappropriate for desk usage, but hey, people have 30" monitors, what's wrong with two more inches for something I don't have to be able to focus on as well? It'll never be used as a monitor, 720p (actually that stupid 1366x768) is just terrible to look at text on at that size.

blanksuspect
Mar 4, 2009

UserNotFound posted:

Updated my home setup: got an LG 32LH40 for a monitor/bedroom TV on my desk, and moved my lamp. This is pretty average for desk clutter, minus the dusting rag, and dinner plate.

The 32" screen looks MUCH bigger in person, and because it's an IPS panel the color is good enough for my photo work, and the viewing angle is good enough that there's no problems viewing from about 45 degrees off center from my bed. DirecTV2PC is great, so I don't have to mess with another box and cables on my desk :D

Hello keyboard and mouse buddy!

I just recently removed the front bit from my keyboard as my elbows have been killing me. My chair doesn't go high enough to achieve the proper 90 degree angle when I use the arm rests. Have you found any issue with that at all?

Besides that, this is probably the best keyboard I've ever used and find myself handicapped when using any non-ergonomic keyboard.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

blanksuspect posted:

Hello keyboard and mouse buddy!

I just recently removed the front bit from my keyboard as my elbows have been killing me. My chair doesn't go high enough to achieve the proper 90 degree angle when I use the arm rests. Have you found any issue with that at all?

Besides that, this is probably the best keyboard I've ever used and find myself handicapped when using any non-ergonomic keyboard.

No problems here, I usually have my elbows on my chair arms. It's the perfect angle to keep my wrists straight and my upper body VERY relaxed. I hate using a laptop in my lap after going ergonomic, but I tolerate normal keyboards just fine still otherwise.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009

UserNotFound posted:

How's the text sharpness? Are you happy with how it works as a monitor? It's very tempting...

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Click here for the full 778x1162 image.

<3 Synergy+

Cleaned up, moved some monitors and the server is now on the ground

Xergiez
Jan 13, 2002
Xergiez

Wish I could figure out how to add better lighting in my room.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xergiez posted:

Wish I could figure out how to add better lighting in my room.

I use that same goddamn banana stand for my headphones!

What did you use to keep the metal tip from gouging your headband? I wrapped mine in electrical tape.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Imipolex G posted:

How's the text sharpness? Are you happy with how it works as a monitor? It's very tempting...

It's pretty darn good, I'd have to say. I was unsure when I bought it, but I'm not disappointed in any way. I like it better than my Dell 2001fp's i've been using for quite some time. I think that red text isn't as sharp as other colors, but that just might be because i'm using pretty much default settings aside from a warm color temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xergiez
Jan 13, 2002
Xergiez

Thermopyle posted:

I use that same goddamn banana stand for my headphones!

What did you use to keep the metal tip from gouging your headband? I wrapped mine in electrical tape.
It's quite popular with the headphone banana stand people. Mine has a microfiber cloth wrapped around the hook with a rubber band to hold it on.