Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elmiko
Dec 29, 2008
I'm running 7 pro 64 on my laptop from an 80gb X25-m (C: drive). I replaced the optical drive with a drive bay holding my old HD. It has two partitions: what's now the D: drive, a large, old, Vista partition I now use to store media, and E:, a small (now more-or-less unused) partition with 7 ultimate RC on it.

I tried to save a file to the root directory in D:, but got the message, "You don't have permission to save files to this location. Save to My Documents instead?" I can save to a non-root location on the drive without issue.

I'm not sure what I need to do to grant myself full access on every partition. Ideally, if possible, I could wipe out the various OS's on the old hard drive and just use it as one large storage drive.

Any suggestions on how to do that, or at least how I can stop my computer from telling me what I can and can't do? :tinfoil: I'm still not very familiar with the user settings on Vista/Windows 7. Weren't you an administrator by default back in the day on 95/98/2000/XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You could just repartition and reformat it. Right click on "Computer", choose Manage. Go to Storage -> Disk Management, delete the D: and E: volumes and create a new D: on the now empty drive. This will obviously delete all the data so move whatever you want to keep to the C: in the meantime.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

elmiko posted:

I'm not sure what I need to do to grant myself full access on every partition. Ideally, if possible, I could wipe out the various OS's on the old hard drive and just use it as one large storage drive.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I can't remember the exact steps, but I found the solution by googling "You don't have permission to save files to this location." I think I had to right-click|properties the drive and change a setting for permissions.

Edit: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/7f2e019f-c521-4a69-91a0-60a703a21c10

Try that.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 4, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

elmiko posted:

I'm running 7 pro 64 on my laptop from an 80gb X25-m (C: drive). I replaced the optical drive with a drive bay holding my old HD. It has two partitions: what's now the D: drive, a large, old, Vista partition I now use to store media, and E:, a small (now more-or-less unused) partition with 7 ultimate RC on it.

I tried to save a file to the root directory in D:, but got the message, "You don't have permission to save files to this location. Save to My Documents instead?" I can save to a non-root location on the drive without issue.

Any suggestions on how to do that, or at least how I can stop my computer from telling me what I can and can't do? :tinfoil: I'm still not very familiar with the user settings on Vista/Windows 7. Weren't you an administrator by default back in the day on 95/98/2000/XP?

If you don't wanna delete everything, right click the drive, properties, security, advanced, Owners and make yourself owner.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Where can I find some neat / good 7 gadgets that don't suck ?

I've tried looking through the microsoft site but there seems to be so much crap and I'm really anal about my desktop and design and such. Are there any good gadgets people recommend ? Anything really; although I'd really like to find a kind of "To-Do list" where I can cross things off as I go through them.

The Windows 7 sticky notes suck, too. The font is horrible, and I can't seem to change it. It also keeps an icon in the Superbar open, which I can't handle. Is there a way to add sticky notes as a gadget, maybe with the possibility to cycle through them ?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yossarko posted:

I've tried looking through the microsoft site but there seems to be so much crap and I'm really anal about my desktop and design and such. Are there any good gadgets people recommend ? Anything really; although I'd really like to find a kind of "To-Do list" where I can cross things off as I go through them.

The Windows 7 sticky notes suck, too. The font is horrible, and I can't seem to change it. It also keeps an icon in the Superbar open, which I can't handle. Is there a way to add sticky notes as a gadget, maybe with the possibility to cycle through them ?

There's lots of discussion on this one page back and more a few pages before, IIRC.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Yossarko posted:

Try some rainmeter skins.
http://rainmeter.net/
http://customize.org/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Friend of mine sent me this link:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/01/03/stupid-windows-7-trick-unlock-the-secret-god-mode-folder/

Seems to be pretty cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Friend of mine sent me this link:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/01/03/stupid-windows-7-trick-unlock-the-secret-god-mode-folder/

Seems to be pretty cool.

It seems pretty useless to me except for the edge case where there's some thing that you want to change and you can't think of any words to type in to the start menu that would bring up the appropriate entry. Otherwise, it's a long list of stuff that's much easier to access via a few keystrokes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I like that god mode thing, lots of stuff easily found. I pinned the shortcut for the folder to my start menu.

I have a question about Super Audio CDs - I haven't found anything that says clearly one program or another will play it in 7, is anyone aware of something like Winamp, VLC, etc., that will play my one and only SACD?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Super Audio CDs were specifically designed never to be played on computers (to avoid piracy omg!!!). IF there's a player out there it's one some hacker managed to cobble together.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does any one know of a way to set my Win7 HTPC to not wake up from sleep on mouse moves? I figure its an easy option, but I can't see to locate it, and my Google-fu can't yield the right phrase to figure it out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does any one know of a way to set my Win7 HTPC to not wake up from sleep on mouse moves? I figure its an easy option, but I can't see to locate it, and my Google-fu can't yield the right phrase to figure it out.

I'm pretty sure in Device Manager you can select the device and there should be a power management tab, or under the USB Hub, and then the power management tab.. checkbox "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Go to device manager, right click on the mouse under "Mice and other pointing devices", hit properties. Go to power management, uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer".

edit: beaten

pooface
May 20, 2004
HMMM!!!
I just got Windows 7 Professional full version. I'd like to keep my current 32bit XP install and install Windows 7 64bit. I want to try and resize my current partition so I don't have to reinstall xp as well.

Can resizing partitions or having a dual boot with a 32 bit and 64 bit OS cause any sort goofy problems? Does resizing the partition cause any sort of inefficiencies that can effect performance?

pooface fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 5, 2010

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I have a question about Super Audio CDs - I haven't found anything that says clearly one program or another will play it in 7, is anyone aware of something like Winamp, VLC, etc., that will play my one and only SACD?

SACDs play fine in a PC CD player (playing one now) but will only give CD quality playback or ripping. You need a SACD player if you want to extra audio features.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you are the person who just wants to stick your fingers into everything make a new folder and rename it to

pre:
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

EVIR Gibson posted:

If you are the person who just wants to stick your fingers into everything make a new folder and rename it to

pre:
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Look 8 posts above yours.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

krushgroove posted:

I like that god mode thing, lots of stuff easily found. I pinned the shortcut for the folder to my start menu.

Most of Sony's own A/V equipment won't even read SACD; it's a format that's pretty much been dead on arrival

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Does anyone know of a way to map F7 to new folder in Explorer? Gotten used to it in WinSCP and I'd like to continue using it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

Does anyone know of a way to map F7 to new folder in Explorer? Gotten used to it in WinSCP and I'd like to continue using it.

I'm no good at it myself, but I know that AutoHotKey can be used to remap backspace to "one level up", but capturing the Backspace command and sending Alt+Up instead.

it should be fairly easy to find a script that works, and then replace F7 with Ctrl+Shift+N.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Decairn posted:

SACDs play fine in a PC CD player (playing one now) but will only give CD quality playback or ripping. You need a SACD player if you want to extra audio features.

Thanks for that, there was me hoping I could listen to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1! Looks like it's finally time to get an HDMI upscaling DVD player, many of them have SACD capabilities. Thanks everyone who answered.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for that, there was me hoping I could listen to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1! Looks like it's finally time to get an HDMI upscaling DVD player, many of them have SACD capabilities. Thanks everyone who answered.

Some kind soul dumped the 5.1 layer to DTS a few years back, and it's still floating around out there somewhere.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
hmmm... ta!

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Does buying a retail Windows 7 give you a licence to use both Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 bit on the same computer, or once you've chosen one of the two, is that it?

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Darth Ronson posted:

use both Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 bit on the same computer
Why would you want to do that? Most 32-bit software works just fine on 64-bit, and for the rest there's always XP Mode.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hirvox posted:

Darth Ronson posted:

Does buying a retail Windows 7 give you a licence to use both Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 bit on the same computer, or once you've chosen one of the two, is that it?
Why would you want to do that? Most 32-bit software works just fine on 64-bit, and for the rest there's always XP Mode.

The license you buy is for one install, either 32 or 64.

Besides, short of some obscure development needs there's no significant reason I can think of to dual-boot x86 and x64.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

I'm looking to install Win7 Pro on my home machine, but for a while I'm going to need to use remote desktop to access an office machine running XP. I can't seem to find a straight answer on Google - can I RDP from 7 to XP? Most of the answers are about going from XP to 7.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Pussy v. Sperguson posted:

can I RDP from 7 to XP?

Absolutely. (Caveat: XP machine must be XP pro I think)

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

hirvox posted:

What I meant was, could I uninstall the 32 bit version and install the 64 bit? I guess I can.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

KS posted:

Absolutely. (Caveat: XP machine must be XP pro I think)

Cool, thanks! Guess I'll try installing stuff tonight :)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pussy v. Sperguson posted:

I'm looking to install Win7 Pro on my home machine, but for a while I'm going to need to use remote desktop to access an office machine running XP. I can't seem to find a straight answer on Google - can I RDP from 7 to XP? Most of the answers are about going from XP to 7.

Non Home versions of Windows are able to accept Remote Desktop connections.

You can always use LogMeIn as well. Free and works great for Mac/Windows.

Third option is VNC (I use with TightVNC). Works fine for local networks, but you will need to forward/open ports if you wish to access it from outside the network (Internet).

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I just had an idea.

I've been wanting to add seperate folder shortcuts to my Superbar too, but find the "Shortcuts toolbar" to be sucky at best. I want to be able to add a shortcut to a folder within the shortcuts to my applications - and then it hit me.

Write a tiny little program that you run with a folder path parametre, which then opens the folder and terminates itself (it would have no GUI, and go by unnoticed).

Example, to have a shortcut to my "www" folder sitting between Photoshop and Filezilla on my Superbar with a snazzy icon, I'd make a shortcut to this little program (say, Springboard) and then change the shortcut to "springboard.exe-c:/wamp/www" and when you click the WWW "application" a few nanoseconds go by and the folder pops up. You could have as many shortcuts to this "Folder launcher" as you want, each with it's own icon.

Brilliant, no ? It should be really easy and lightweight, only a few lines of code. There must be a Windows API command to open an explorer window to a folder. Now I just need to find someone who knows how to code.

Yossarko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 5, 2010

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Is there a hack to enable Aero over Remote Desktop on Win7 Pro? Or should I have taken it in the rear end and bought Ultimate?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Yossarko posted:

I just had an idea.

I've been wanting to add seperate folder shortcuts to my Superbar too, but find the "Shortcuts toolbar" to be sucky at best. I want to be able to add a shortcut to a folder within the shortcuts to my applications - and then it hit me.

Write a tiny little program that you run with a folder path parametre, which then opens the folder and terminates itself (it would have no GUI, and go by unnoticed).

Example, to have a shortcut to my "www" folder sitting between Photoshop and Filezilla on my Superbar with a snazzy icon, I'd make a shortcut to this little program (say, Springboard) and then change the shortcut to "springboard.exe-c:/wamp/www" and when you click the WWW "application" a few nanoseconds go by and the folder pops up. You could have as many shortcuts to this "Folder launcher" as you want, each with it's own icon.

Brilliant, no ? It should be really easy and lightweight, only a few lines of code. There must be a Windows API command to open an explorer window to a folder. Now I just need to find someone who knows how to code.

Springboard

usage: springboard.exe c:\folder\name

source:

code:
#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
	int numargs = 0;
	LPWSTR* args = CommandLineToArgvW(GetCommandLine(), &numargs);

if (numargs < 2)
		MessageBox(NULL, L"Please supply a complete folder path as a command line argument", L"Springboard", MB_ICONERROR);
	else
		ShellExecute(NULL, L"explore", args[1], NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

return 0;
}

beuges fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stuntman Mike posted:

Is there a hack to enable Aero over Remote Desktop on Win7 Pro? Or should I have taken it in the rear end and bought Ultimate?

Far as I know Aero via RDP works only to/from Windows 7 based computers.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

redeyes posted:

Yes, I'm trying to go from Win7 Pro to Win7 Pro. Aero over RDP is only officially enabled on Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise.

Anyone know of a hack to get that functionality on Win7 Pro?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

redeyes posted:

Windows 7 Professional / Home Premium / Home Basic / Starter don't do Aero over RDP.

I've been looking for a hack myself. I have a mess of copies of Windows 7 Professional.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone had the Release Candidate and installed the home version to another drive? I think I'm going to buy a new HDD and install 7 to it, then move the data on my RC install to it. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
While we're talking about RDP is there any way to enable it in Home Premium? VNC is super slow for some reason and now I'm using logmein as a last resort.