Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Pixi posted:

Guaifenesin, evening primrose oil, and grapefruit juice did nothing for me, unfortunately. I think I'm just a freak. I also got knocked up after having sex 3 days before ovulation and 5 days after, so my lady parts work in mysterious ways.

Heh:) I figure that I will try it all, it can't hurt, right? Except that I understand that high levels of Vitamin C reduce cervical mucous-but it seems like there is a bit of alchemy in this whole thing. I think I am just going to try to relax and ride this roller coaster.

As an aside--I talked to my mom about what is going on last night and she said "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" I told her with authority that I was sure, but now I wonder. Wouldn't it be silly if our one day of sex at the wrong time ended up working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Pixi posted:

Guaifenesin, evening primrose oil, and grapefruit juice did nothing for me, unfortunately. I think I'm just a freak. I also got knocked up after having sex 3 days before ovulation and 5 days after, so my lady parts work in mysterious ways.

Was it a girl? :) My doctor told me that if you know the exact day you're ovulating, you can actually tip the odds towards a girl or boy-- the sperm with an X chromosome in it travels more slowly, but is more robust. The sperm that has a Y chromosome travels more quickly and dies more quickly. So apparently I got knocked up either before or after I ovulated, since I'm having a girl. :)

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
My exact thought when I read her post was that Pixi is having a girl. 3 days before leans toward those extremely long lived girl sperm! If I remember correctly Pixi doesn't know yet.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Calling it! Girl! ;)

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Yep, having a girl. And I *knew* she was a girl the second I found out I was pregnant. I'm 19 weeks, confirmed gender last week at work. :) Her name is Caitlin.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Congrats, Pixi! What's the middle name?

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 1, 2010

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Aw, thanks! It was a long, lovely road to get here, but so worth it.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I know the long road--hopefully I will have some good news soon. Take care and congrats again:)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Pixi posted:

Yep, having a girl. And I *knew* she was a girl the second I found out I was pregnant. I'm 19 weeks, confirmed gender last week at work. :) Her name is Caitlin.

I totally knew I was having a girl too, but I kept telling myself that I couldn't possibly know and was just wishfully thinking. I am glad I was right, though. I can't wait to meet my girl (24 weeks now). :3:

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Oh, and her middle name is Theresa. Wasn't my pick, but it has special meaning to my husband.

FITD, I didn't really care either way, but I just *knew*. I think I would be equally excited for a boy. Having a girl just feels *right*, though, if that makes any sense.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yep, it makes perfect sense to me, as I felt the same way. Funny thing is, we settled on a boy's name really quickly and couldn't agree on a girl's name. I kept telling my husband we had to pick one and he kept saying, "Oh, we'll just wait for the ultrasound." I knew inside that we had to pick a girl's name. I was referring to her as "my girl" from the start.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I feel bad cluttering this thread, but the exact same thing happened with us. We had a boy name settled before we even got pregnant, and a girl name was impossible to agree on. Funny how that works!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
....you weren't going to name him Julian, were you?

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Haha, no, Logan!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
That's funny - we're having trouble with boy names (even though we knew our fertility method had a high rate of boy conceptions) but Logan is near the top of our list.

Roxy - they do the sparkly banner thing at my infertility board but they are all normal people. It's on a popular pregnancy/child board that is loaded with sparkly crap but the infertility board keeps it too a minimum. Everyone is too busy talking about E2 levels and Clomid dosages and such.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Azulita posted:

That's funny - we're having trouble with boy names (even though we knew our fertility method had a high rate of boy conceptions) but Logan is near the top of our list.

Roxy - they do the sparkly banner thing at my infertility board but they are all normal people. It's on a popular pregnancy/child board that is loaded with sparkly crap but the infertility board keeps it too a minimum. Everyone is too busy talking about E2 levels and Clomid dosages and such.

If you're still stuck on boy names, Alex is pretty rad. :coal:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Azulita posted:

As long as it is reasonably sane, I'm good. I am not a total grinch-just not a super girly girl. Please point me in that direction:)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Roxy Rouge posted:

As long as it is reasonably sane, I'm good. I am not a total grinch-just not a super girly girl. Please point me in that direction:)

My problem with the boards its not the girly girl stuff, but to me not using proper terms like "sex" and "period" seems really childish and immature. I'd also be scared I'd be kicked off for not using their nauseating terminology.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^ That and the goddamn abbreviations. "Dipes" for diapers? Really? It takes that much longer to type out "diapers"? I can almost understand "DH" for "dear/darling husband" (although I just refer to my husband as "my husband," thanks), but the ones that aren't really any shorter like "dipes" really irritate me for some reason. You wouldn't be kicked off, I don't think, at least not on the boards I frequent. There's like one other girl who is like me and refuses to use the abbreviations and crappy terminology. Wouldn't be surprised if she was a goon too. :D

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Alterian posted:

My problem with the boards its not the girly girl stuff, but to me not using proper terms like "sex" and "period" seems really childish and immature. I'd also be scared I'd be kicked off for not using their nauseating terminology.

I refuse to use abbreviations, unless they save me typing time, but nobody seems to care. And like I said, the infertility board tends to dispense with the nonsense so they can get down to the nuts and bolts of conception.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/

Just . . . avoid the rest of the trying to conceive boards. Unless you are bored and looking solely for entertainment value. Some of the site is useful, just not that particular area.

Azulita fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 2, 2010

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
The little acronyms they use are mind boggling. I'm glad it's not just an Australian parenting board thing.

It took me ages to figure out what they were on about - it still does! But most of the women on the one I go to are so lovely and genuinely caring that I look past it.

There's a particular forums that are renowned for being full of bitches however, which makes me laugh. People are so petty.

But seriously... the DH/DD/DS thing I can maybe cope with, and TTC for trying to conceive, because it's long. But DTD (did the deed) and things like that do my head in.

How bout "My husband and I had sex."

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

dishonesty posted:

The little acronyms they use are mind boggling. I'm glad it's not just an Australian parenting board thing.

It took me ages to figure out what they were on about - it still does! But most of the women on the one I go to are so lovely and genuinely caring that I look past it.

There's a particular forums that are renowned for being full of bitches however, which makes me laugh. People are so petty.

But seriously... the DH/DD/DS thing I can maybe cope with, and TTC for trying to conceive, because it's long. But DTD (did the deed) and things like that do my head in.

bd - babydancing. Just call it sex eh?

I hate most parenting board.

Oh and to whoever suggested Alex for a bohys name. Thats what we have desided on for this baby ;)

Now jumping back to the pregnancy thread. :p

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dishonesty posted:

I'd be tempted to start my own acronyms: FMMO/TTB hosed my mind out/tied to bed

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
LMAO-- If you do, tell me what board you're posting it on and I'll come join in. :D

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
For me the most hilarious is "O'ing", which means ovulating. But that means something way more fun to me.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, when I think "O" I certainly don't think of ovulating...

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Speaking of ovulating, evidently I did/do not. My 21 day progesterone was 1.1. My doctor wants me to take a 5 day progestrin cycle to induce a period, then 50 mg of Clomid on days 3-7. I am starting the progestrin tonight and crossing my fingers! Wish me luck and thank you all for the Clomid suggestions you have offered so far.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Good luck! Don't be freaked out or disappointed if you don't ovulate this first cycle. I went in to my first thinking ALL RIGHT TIME TO MAKE EGGS, and it didn't happen and I was really upset. It's more common to NOT ovulate on 50mg, than it is to ovulate, evidently. And I ovulated late (day 18-20), so don't give up if you don't magically pop an egg by day 14. :)

And I swear by the Answer brand OPKs that come in the little tube. You get a pack of 20 for $15 at Walmart. They were sensitive and wide, easy to read. And I would buy a pack of Clear Blue digital OPKs to confirm when I thought the regular ones were positive.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Well today is 6 days since my surgery. Had my stitches out yesterday, wounds are looking good. Still sore and have some twinges inside, but much better.

We actually had sex yesterday.... *oops* ... maybe a bit soon, but the midwife who removed my stitches said as long as I felt comfortable and wasn't still bleeding then go for it.. hehe.

She also said "You didn't hear it from me, but I see no reason not to start trying to conceive again straight away either. I've been through it myself and had 3 different ob's tell me to try again right away because so many women get pregnant right after having a tube removed and an ectopic... maybe because you get all 'cleaned out' and have a fresh start inside. So I say go for it... but.. you didn't hear it from me *wink*"

Hehehe... so I'll see how I'm feeling. Hopefully get my period real soon and can gauge where I'm at from there.

I should really learn how to chart my cervical mucous... *thinks I'd better read up on that*

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Pixi posted:

Good luck! Don't be freaked out or disappointed if you don't ovulate this first cycle. I went in to my first thinking ALL RIGHT TIME TO MAKE EGGS, and it didn't happen and I was really upset. It's more common to NOT ovulate on 50mg, than it is to ovulate, evidently. And I ovulated late (day 18-20), so don't give up if you don't magically pop an egg by day 14. :)

I hope you are right. I have a friend who just started on Prometrium and Clomid, and is through the first cycle with no luck (50 mg of Clomid). She's going to do 100 mg next, and then 150 mg. She and her husband have been trying for over six months now and she thinks that she's anovulatory. She's always had really irregular cycles so she knew she was going to run into problems, but it's heartbreaking just the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
So my fiance and I are actually trying to avoid getting pregnant but I figured I'd get a better answer here than in the birth control thread, as we're using charting/NFP as our "birth control".

I have been using the Answer ovulation tests from Wal-mart and they have been pretty good, sometimes they'll do that weird double-line thing where one side of the test line is darker than the other side, but I've figured that out pretty well. According to peeonastick.com, at least 50% of the line has to be as dark or darker than the control, so in previous months I've been going by that and it's matched up pretty well with my other signs. I just bought a whole bunch of the tests from early-pregnancy-tests.com and I'm getting some confusing results.

The Answer test are giving me a double-line but even the lighter half is just barely as dark as the control line, and it has matched up with my other signs pretty well, so I've been taking it as a positive. But the early-pregancy-tests.com OPKs are 100% clearly negative. I've taken them at the same time as the Answer sticks. WTF. Are these unreliable? Any experiences?

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

yawnie posted:

So my fiance and I are actually trying to avoid getting pregnant but I figured I'd get a better answer here than in the birth control thread, as we're using charting/NFP as our "birth control".

I have been using the Answer ovulation tests from Wal-mart and they have been pretty good, sometimes they'll do that weird double-line thing where one side of the test line is darker than the other side, but I've figured that out pretty well. According to peeonastick.com, at least 50% of the line has to be as dark or darker than the control, so in previous months I've been going by that and it's matched up pretty well with my other signs. I just bought a whole bunch of the tests from early-pregnancy-tests.com and I'm getting some confusing results.

The Answer test are giving me a double-line but even the lighter half is just barely as dark as the control line, and it has matched up with my other signs pretty well, so I've been taking it as a positive. But the early-pregancy-tests.com OPKs are 100% clearly negative. I've taken them at the same time as the Answer sticks. WTF. Are these unreliable? Any experiences?

I've never used ovulation tests, but out of curiosity, what method of NFP are you using? I used the Creighton, but we've never actually had to use it to avoid.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

qentiox posted:

I've never used ovulation tests, but out of curiosity, what method of NFP are you using? I used the Creighton, but we've never actually had to use it to avoid.

I'm not actually using any particular method, maybe saying NFP was the wrong way to put it. I'm basically using websites like using fertilityfriend.com and mymonthlycharts.com to help me track my temperatures, cervical fluid, position, etc. and other symptoms to determine when I ovulate, and around my fertile days we use a backup method like condoms or spermicide, etc. Hormones were killing me and I've always been really in tune with my body since puberty so this has been working wonderfully for us, and I feel like it will make me that much more ready and able once we decide to get pregnant.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

yawnie posted:

I'm not actually using any particular method, maybe saying NFP was the wrong way to put it. I'm basically using websites like using fertilityfriend.com and mymonthlycharts.com to help me track my temperatures, cervical fluid, position, etc. and other symptoms to determine when I ovulate, and around my fertile days we use a backup method like condoms or spermicide, etc. Hormones were killing me and I've always been really in tune with my body since puberty so this has been working wonderfully for us, and I feel like it will make me that much more ready and able once we decide to get pregnant.

You really should read a method about it. If I was trying not to get pregnant, I wouldn't solely rely on ovulation tests since you're actually fertile up to 5 days prior to it testing that you're going to ovulate.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Alterian posted:

You really should read a method about it. If I was trying not to get pregnant, I wouldn't solely rely on ovulation tests since you're actually fertile up to 5 days prior to it testing that you're going to ovulate.

..I'm not relying solely on ovulation tests. I thought I went over that pretty clearly.

Honestly I use the OPKs to help me confirm what I already know is happening - Plus it's fun to pee on things. My frustration at them not working right is not because oh god I might be pregnant. We are much more careful than that. But I just bought a shitload of the tests and if they're not reliable or accurate it kind of sucks to have wasted the money, when another brand of tests is giving me the result I feel is the right one. Not the end of the world for me if they aren't reliable, but I was curious if anybody else had experienced this.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
The only experience I have with ovu strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com was 100% positive, so I don't think I'm of any help to you. :( They predicted my ovulation so clearly that we got pregnant on our first try. There was a definite difference between the dark line and the light line, with really no room for objectivity in my case.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Fire In The Disco posted:

The only experience I have with ovu strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com was 100% positive, so I don't think I'm of any help to you. :( They predicted my ovulation so clearly that we got pregnant on our first try. There was a definite difference between the dark line and the light line, with really no room for objectivity in my case.

Did I read somewhere on this thread that you tested twice a day? Or was that someone else? I'm wondering if I just need to start doing that - maybe they have a different sensitivity than the other brand. Or maybe my body is just weird :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yep, I sure did. What I did was I tested once a day at first, and then when I detected a little darkening of the second line, where it was almost as dark as the control line, I started testing twice a day. It worked like a charm for me, and I'm glad I did, because the test line was dark one evening and was back to light the next morning. Of course I'm having a girl (slower moving but longer living sperm), so chances are one of our bouts before that evening did the trick. :)

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Yep, I sure did. What I did was I tested once a day at first, and then when I detected a little darkening of the second line, where it was almost as dark as the control line, I started testing twice a day. It worked like a charm for me, and I'm glad I did, because the test line was dark one evening and was back to light the next morning. Of course I'm having a girl (slower moving but longer living sperm), so chances are one of our bouts before that evening did the trick. :)

Ah okay. Well I appreciate the info, I'll try testing more frequently and see if that makes a difference. Maybe next cycle it will be more clear. Congrats on your baby girl :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Thank you! She'll be joining us in April. :)

• Locked thread