Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DaveCG posted:

I'm trying to remember anything other than pumpkins and cogs as harvestable thingies, I think that in between missions you'd get a briefing screen with hand drawn ink line art of the main monsters in that level, and if I remember rightly (although I could be mixing two games together here) the storyline was something like a dark taint running through the land and theses monsters were appearing.

Geez... The Horde?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unifont
Mar 15, 2004

Stahlgeist posted:

1. An NES game in which the first level had you attempting to fight past skeleton warriors. From what I remember, the ceiling and floor were comprised of light blue bricks, and the rest of the background was black.
That sounds like it could be the NES port of Prince of Persia.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Ray Mears Bushcraft posted:

This sounds so familiar, I'm sure I know what you mean. The pumpkin thing in particular. I'm almost definite I played it on a demo disc or something.

Could it be Rising Lands?

YES! thank you! that's it, god drat that has been bugging me for years, thanks!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Vendetta77 posted:

You're an intelligent man. I found Tengen on wikipedia and it had a list of their games.

The game is Fantasy Zone for NES, if you're curious,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUFrxr6Tv4

Thanks bud you're the bomb.

Note that Fantasy Zone got ported to NES twice by two different companies. That video is of the Sunsoft version. Tengen's unlicensed version came out later and is generally considered inferior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLB81_P_q4

\/ Yeah, but he linked the Sunsoft version. It's important to note the difference because the Tengen version is pretty disappointing. What if he tried to track down a copy without knowing? The horror!!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 19, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mr_Person posted:

Note that Fantasy Zone got ported to NES twice by two different companies. That video is of the Sunsoft version. Tengen's unlicensed version came out later and is generally considered inferior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLB81_P_q4

Yeah, though only the Tengen one was released outside of Japan.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 19, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Unifont posted:

That sounds like it could be the NES port of Prince of Persia.

Oh wow, I had no idea they changed the enemies to skeletons in the NES version. I'm a huge Prince of Persia fan, and I never would have guessed this in a million years.

Just in case this IS the game you're looking for, you might want to play Konami's excellent SNES port instead. Has additional levels and stuff not found in any other version of the game.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 19, 2009

Ludicrous Speed
Aug 29, 2004

throttle up flaps down
power up gears down
Very vague details on this one, but it's been bugging me for a long time. I used to watch my brother play this game when I was really young, probably in the early 1990's. It was a very colorful platformer game for PC. It may have been shareware. I can't remember any specifics about the main character or the enemies, but I do remember that enemies could "jump out" of the background, like behind bushes and walls. When they did, they made this little noise, kind of like a "bee-dee" sound. I've been trying to figure this out for forever. If anybody knows what this is I'll be shocked.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Kind of a long shot, but maybe Astyanax?

Thank you, this seems to be the one.

Scravo
Oct 6, 2008
There are two games that I believe were bundled with the Compaq Presario my family owned many years back, though it could have been a different computer.

1) A Rube Goldberg-esque puzzle game where you have to rig up devices in order to assist either a cat or a mouse in achieving its goal. Some of the harder puzzles got pretty mind-bending, and it was fun just using the level editor to see all of the different animations.

2) An educational puzzle game starring a jungle/safari explorer who has to collect letter tiles in the correct order to spell a given word. The educational value was aimed pretty low, but the gameplay itself was pretty fun, and reminded me a lot of something like The Adventures of LoLo. I remember there being multiple animal types that reacted differently, as well as some kind of arrow shooting things.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Scravo posted:

1) A Rube Goldberg-esque puzzle game where you have to rig up devices in order to assist either a cat or a mouse in achieving its goal. Some of the harder puzzles got pretty mind-bending, and it was fun just using the level editor to see all of the different animations.
Got to be some variation of The Incredible Machine. If it was particularly cartoony it may have been Sid & Al's Incredible Toons.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 21, 2009

MrMortimer
Jun 2, 2009

You, too... Immortal?
No. I just don't fear death.
This is an old one, It was for the genesis, I think you were a kid caveman of some sort. I don't remember a thing about it, maybe some platforming involved. I think you had to move boulders. If anyone can figure it out, I'd love them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrMortimer posted:

This is an old one, It was for the genesis, I think you were a kid caveman of some sort. I don't remember a thing about it, maybe some platforming involved. I think you had to move boulders. If anyone can figure it out, I'd love them.

Shadow of the Beast 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGIBfzNoaI

MrMortimer
Jun 2, 2009

You, too... Immortal?
no, it was way more kidish, I must have played it when I was like, 9. I know I'm not giving a whole lot of information.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone remember that BBS door game that involved leading a life of crime, including earning money for smashing up cars and finally working your way to blowing up the World Trade Center?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

MrMortimer posted:

Chuck Rock 2?

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
I'm wracking my brain trying to remember this weird multiplayer Japanese game for Playstation.

You have a little train (and sometimes a plane) that you need to drive all over the land to pick up money/boons and try to avoid the bad spots. Occasionally this weird monster/baby thing drops onto the tracks to gently caress with you, there is also poop getting dumped on the tracks (I can't remember if the monster is responsible or even if the turds are a good or bad thing - I think they may be colour coded, though).

The game seems to last for forever when you're playing it and the winner is the one with the most money (and train carriages?) at the end - your corporation is deemed a success!

I'm sure I'm misremembering large chunks of this because it's so weird. I last played in 2006; it's old fashioned looking, 2D, I guess it's strategy based because you need to work out the best routes through, but it kind of defies categorisation.

There was definately poop involved.

Edit: I think the monster thing may have been called something like bombee/bomubi but google turns up nothing.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 20, 2009

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MMAgCh posted:

Got to be some varation of The Incredible Machine. If it was particularly cartoony it may have been Sid & Al's Incredible Toons.

Definitely Sid & Al, that's the only one where the cat and mouse were actual protagonists instead of just small parts of the game.

I've still got that game, I quite enjoyed it but I simply couldn't do some of the harder puzzles.

MrMortimer
Jun 2, 2009

You, too... Immortal?

Plinth posted:

Chuck Rock 2?

Holy crap I love you.

Scravo
Oct 6, 2008

cmndstab posted:

Definitely Sid & Al, that's the only one where the cat and mouse were actual protagonists instead of just small parts of the game.

I've still got that game, I quite enjoyed it but I simply couldn't do some of the harder puzzles.

Yeah, Sid and Al was right on. Thanks, folks!

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Vendetta77 posted:

You're an intelligent man. I found Tengen on wikipedia and it had a list of their games.

The game is Fantasy Zone for NES, if you're curious,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUFrxr6Tv4

Thanks bud you're the bomb.

the Sega arcade/console versions are vastly superior. Check out Fantasy Zone 2: The Tears of Opa Opa.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

My father is looking to find a game he saw in a game store about 9-10 years ago. He describes it as having been a WW2 simulation, where you didn't participate in battles, but rather, you had a tactical map of Europe and/or the invasion of Normandy. You'd control how many soldiers and tanks to send to the various battles and so on. Anyone got a clue what the name might be?

Katina
May 3, 2009
When I was really young I used to play this train game on my grandad's computer. You could build tracks and there were curved pieces and water and stuff. Every so often you would pass some bleating sheep, and I think you had to deliver stuff and there were other trains, but I never really paid attention to that. The thing I most remember is that sometimes you would crash into another train and it would cut to a really vivid shot of two trains smashing into each other head on. I've tried to find out what it was called with no luck. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

csidle posted:

My father is looking to find a game he saw in a game store about 9-10 years ago. He describes it as having been a WW2 simulation, where you didn't participate in battles, but rather, you had a tactical map of Europe and/or the invasion of Normandy. You'd control how many soldiers and tanks to send to the various battles and so on. Anyone got a clue what the name might be?

Iron Storm for the Sega Saturn?

Ichiban Crush
Dec 11, 2004

Titter Titter (Circumflex Underscore Circumflex)

Katina posted:

When I was really young I used to play this train game on my grandad's computer. You could build tracks and there were curved pieces and water and stuff. Every so often you would pass some bleating sheep, and I think you had to deliver stuff and there were other trains, but I never really paid attention to that. The thing I most remember is that sometimes you would crash into another train and it would cut to a really vivid shot of two trains smashing into each other head on. I've tried to find out what it was called with no luck. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm not PC savvy, but was this Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

csidle posted:

This could really be any game in the wargame genre, but maybe Hearts of Iron based on the age?

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
The game I'm having trouble remembering was a DOS game from late 90's when my P2 233 was the bee's knees. It had RTS elements and you could place turrets on predefined points. You could then control the turrets manually through the first-person pov to kill the baddies. The main unit was a tank of sorts that you could control, again, in the first person.

I could have sworn it was Ground Control but after getting it yesterday on sale at GOG and playing the first part of the tutorial, I don't think that it's it. Unless the turrets and first person thing comes later? But the release year of 2000 doesn't make sense since I played the game I'm thinking of in 98-99.

PS: I'm pretty sure it's not Battlezone. The images I've seen don't seem familiar.

*edit* After looking through every game in the strategy genre in those years, I found it to be Uprising. A kick rear end game that I must hunt down and get working on my modern PC.

*edit 2* I found it in a 45 Mb zip on an abandonware site! Same place has Quarantine and Azrael's Tear!

*edit 3* poo poo, it's some weird Windows version in German and it won't display in a playable form. And it's completely in German... The hunt continues.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 4, 2010

Sloppy Thirds
May 14, 2007

Found this on my friend's "Old pictures" album on facebook and we can't tell what game it is. All we know is that it's for sure an NES game(he's holding the controller) and it's 2 players by the look of the P1 at the bottom of screen and that his brother is holding a controller as well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
It was a sega game, I think, and you were a jester that flew around. But it wasn't Nights... I can't really remember anything more than that.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
This is going to be a stretch and I doubt it was ever released here but here goes:

I remember in an old EGM issue had Busby on the cover when they were previewing the SNES release, anyway, in this same issue, they had a Zelda clone that looked like it was being released on the Super Famicom, the main character looked like the exact replica of Link but had black hair with a gold band in it, and a red cape and was played from the top down perspective. The preview showed him on a ship that was being attacked by a giant octopus with it being SNES graphics it had the connecting orange and brown balls to represent tentacles. I have no idea what this game is, or if it was even released in Japan let alone the US, any help would be appreciated.

isnt it byronic
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking for the name of a game from the 80's that my cousins and I used to play on an old IBM PC via 5.5 floppy disk. It was a Breakout/Arkanoid type game except the play was horizontal, the paddle was a sword, and the bricks were all reddish brown with varied patterns for each level. I want to say it was called Dragon or something like that, but I'm not sure. :iiam:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Diabetic posted:

This is going to be a stretch and I doubt it was ever released here but here goes:

I remember in an old EGM issue had Busby on the cover when they were previewing the SNES release, anyway, in this same issue, they had a Zelda clone that looked like it was being released on the Super Famicom, the main character looked like the exact replica of Link but had black hair with a gold band in it, and a red cape and was played from the top down perspective. The preview showed him on a ship that was being attacked by a giant octopus with it being SNES graphics it had the connecting orange and brown balls to represent tentacles. I have no idea what this game is, or if it was even released in Japan let alone the US, any help would be appreciated.

Wow, I know this. The game is called Neugier. (Link is to my lovely Let's Fail video from the early days of the LP forum)

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Rollersnake posted:

Wow, I know this. The game is called Neugier. (Link is to my lovely Let's Fail video from the early days of the LP forum)

Wow, I don't know what I'm more shocked by, the fact that this is definitely it, or how quick a response I got for such a vague description.

Edit: And judging by the Let's Fail and Wikipedia, I'm guessing an official English version was never in the cards.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 5, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Those tentacles are mesmerizing. There's no way I could have forgotten them.

Bummey posted:

It was a sega game, I think, and you were a jester that flew around. But it wasn't Nights... I can't really remember anything more than that.

This is probably Pandemonium! It's on the Playstation Network if you've got a PS3 or PSP and want to revisit it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 5, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Sloppy Thirds posted:

Found this on my friend's "Old pictures" album on facebook and we can't tell what game it is. All we know is that it's for sure an NES game(he's holding the controller) and it's 2 players by the look of the P1 at the bottom of screen and that his brother is holding a controller as well.

I feel like I might know this and am trying to figure it out (I have nothing better to do). The color scheme makes me think it's one of SNK's games, but nothing I've seen on youtube matches that status bar at the bottom.

Edit: Unless I was really careless, you can rule out everything by SNK, Capcom, Konami, and Data East.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 5, 2010

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sloppy Thirds posted:

Its Double Dragon 2. Look at the HUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMjEqVQjgc

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

blackguy32 posted:

Its Double Dragon 2. Look at the HUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMjEqVQjgc

Ahh, of course. I think that's even that drat woods level with the tricky jumps that I could never get past. From the screenshot, I thought I was looking at a top-down game.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

PorkFat posted:

The game I'm having trouble remembering was a DOS game from late 90's when my P2 233 was the bee's knees. It had RTS elements and you could place turrets on predefined points. You could then control the turrets manually through the first-person pov to kill the baddies. The main unit was a tank of sorts that you could control, again, in the first person.

I could have sworn it was Ground Control but after getting it yesterday on sale at GOG and playing the first part of the tutorial, I don't think that it's it. Unless the turrets and first person thing comes later? But the release year of 2000 doesn't make sense since I played the game I'm thinking of in 98-99.

PS: I'm pretty sure it's not Battlezone. The images I've seen don't seem familiar.

*edit* After looking through every game in the strategy genre in those years, I found it to be Uprising. A kick rear end game that I must hunt down and get working on my modern PC.

*edit 2* I found it in a 45 Mb zip on an abandonware site! Same place has Quarantine and Azrael's Tear!

*edit 3* poo poo, it's some weird Windows version in German and it won't display in a playable form. And it's completely in German... The hunt continues.

God drat that sounds so much like Battle Tanx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1A9AKZZCX4&feature=related

makes me want to play it!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Ludicrous Speed posted:

Very vague details on this one, but it's been bugging me for a long time. I used to watch my brother play this game when I was really young, probably in the early 1990's. It was a very colorful platformer game for PC. It may have been shareware. I can't remember any specifics about the main character or the enemies, but I do remember that enemies could "jump out" of the background, like behind bushes and walls. When they did, they made this little noise, kind of like a "bee-dee" sound. I've been trying to figure this out for forever. If anybody knows what this is I'll be shocked.

Was it Top Hunter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRjKkiu1b8&feature=related

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Rollersnake posted:

Ahh, of course. I think that's even that drat woods level with the tricky jumps that I could never get past. From the screenshot, I thought I was looking at a top-down game.

That's actually the level where you have to jump from building to building and then get on the helicopter. G R A S P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

The Walrus posted:

- I seem to think it took place in a trailer park kind of environment.. maybe..

I don't know for sure because I never played the game, but maybe Redneck Rampage?

Stahlgeist posted:

4. Also from the same Gold Star CD, this one had "Cyber" somewhere in its title. It took place in a cyber punk setting with a kid on a hoverboard fighting robotic teddy bears.

Cyril Cyberpunk, fun game.