Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bearnt! posted:

Bret didn't really snub Vince on a handshake at the HOF did he?

I don't know if he did or not, but I doubt it, as they were clearly working an angle of Vince being petty and belligerent since Hart straight up lied that he'd tried to come back to WWE a number of times only to be blocked by Vince. I loved that, it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Just seems out of place if he really did. Since there's that picture of them shaking hands due to what I'm 99% sure is because of Bret's HOF induction before the actual induction ceremony itself. I realize Vince is heeling it up but he said last night on Raw how Bret spit in his face (true), punched him backstage (true), and then wouldn't shake his hand at the HOF ceremony so I was just wondering. Bret lying and saying Vince wouldn't let him come back every time he asked was pretty hilarious and a :raise: moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The picture of them shaking hands (a :psyduck: moment in its own right) is from when they agreed to do the first Hitman DVD, I'm fairly certain.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think people are looking too much into Bret's LIES :supaburn: last night. It's all just a little bit of kayfabe housekeeping for the sake of the big Wrestlemania angle.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Yeah I think you're right about that now that I think back on it. The DVD was in 2005 and HOF induction 2006 so my brain just merged the two events together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

I think people are looking too much into Bret's LIES :supaburn: last night. It's all just a little bit of kayfabe housekeeping for the sake of the big Wrestlemania angle.

No, no, that's what made it fun - Bret straight up lying because they're working an angle is what made me so happy, it made me realize that he was REALLY back.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why does no one cover up for chairshots anymore?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Why does no one cover up for chairshots anymore?

They do in WWE and I couldn't be happier. I cringe everytime I see someone take an unprotected chairshot in ROH, it doesn't detract from the moment AT ALL to throw your hand up and I wish they would, particularly Necro Butcher.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

No, no, that's what made it fun - Bret straight up lying because they're working an angle is what made me so happy, it made me realize that he was REALLY back.
oh hey that's a pretty nice way of looking at it :shobon:

Jerusalem posted:

They do in WWE and I couldn't be happier. I cringe everytime I see someone take an unprotected chairshot in ROH, it doesn't detract from the moment AT ALL to throw your hand up and I wish they would, particularly Necro Butcher.
I've always hated when people give the big "THAT'S SO FAKE!!!" reaction to a blocked chairshot. Is frantically protecting your face not a "realistic" reaction to seeing a chair fly at you?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Minidust posted:

oh hey that's a pretty nice way of looking at it :shobon:
I've always hated when people give the big "THAT'S SO FAKE!!!" reaction to a blocked chairshot. Is frantically protecting your face not a "realistic" reaction to seeing a chair fly at you?

Nothing looks faker than unprotected chairshots/headpunches.

Next time someone says "THATS SO FAKE", they should have a chair swung at them, and we can all see how they react.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
So WWA (World Wrestling Association) is having some event just a few minutes from my house.

http://www.wwaworldwrestling.com/2009/12/vengeance-live-on-i-95/

quote:

Nooie Lee vs. Marty Con Dejo

NWA Florida Tag Team Title Match
NWA-Florida Tag Team Champions the Dark City Fight Club will put their title on the line against the New Heavenly Bodies!

NWA North American Heavyweight Title Match
NWA North American Champion Apolo vs. “The Marquee” Bruce Santee

NWA Florida Heavyweight Title Match
NWA FL Champion, The Sheik will put his title on the line against “The American Hero” Jesse Neal!

Main Event:
WWE Legend Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs. “The British Lion” Tommy Taylor

Also featuring Titan, “Uptown” Frankie Capone, plus many more WWA/NWA superstars!!

*Card Subject to change*

Does this seem to be worth the $15/20 for tickets?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sionistic posted:

So WWA (World Wrestling Association) is having some event just a few minutes from my house.

http://www.wwaworldwrestling.com/2009/12/vengeance-live-on-i-95/

Does this seem to be worth the $15/20 for tickets?

Which Sheik is this? Also, 15 bucks to see a human plane crash named Jake? I would.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bearnt! posted:

Bret didn't really snub Vince on a handshake at the HOF did he?

Nope, that's a work. It's based on something else that happened at the HOF. Austin and Bret are talking and Hogan (who both hate) goes up to them, trying to shake Austin's hand. Austin completely snubbed Hogan, causing Bret to pop huge.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

WeaselWeaz posted:

Nope, that's a work. It's based on something else that happened at the HOF. Austin and Bret are talking and Hogan (who both hate) goes up to them, trying to shake Austin's hand. Austin completely snubbed Hogan, causing Bret to pop huge.

Where can I read more about this???

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For those of you who live in parts of the world where TV tapings happen (most of you, I guess), how does WWE distinguish between the end of a TV taping and its post-TV taping stuff? I'm guessing it's as simple as the ring announcer saying "This is the end of our televised entertainment, but stay where you are for..." or something like that?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Usually there's a minute or three in between the end of the show and the post-show, while someone is celebrating in the ring or whatever. It's a long enough pause that you can tell.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tong Quixote posted:

For those of you who live in parts of the world where TV tapings happen (most of you, I guess), how does WWE distinguish between the end of a TV taping and its post-TV taping stuff? I'm guessing it's as simple as the ring announcer saying "This is the end of our televised entertainment, but stay where you are for..." or something like that?

actually the best indicater is the crowd flush lights (red for raw blue for smackdown black for ecw) go out after the show is over

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
In this video, does anyone know what theme plays when Bret wins? 'cause it isn't his, and it's not the one he came out to either. Three minutes in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tong Quixote posted:

In my experience, they don't. The show just keeps going. Every show I've seen had all of the lights stay on and no ring announcements whatsoever.

There is no way to tell when the cameras go dark.

Volcano Style posted:

In this video, does anyone know what theme plays when Bret wins? 'cause it isn't his, and it's not the one he came out to either. Three minutes in.
That was definitely not Bret's WCW theme. It was a miscue, most likely. Or that video was made by WWE and they couldn't use his theme.

Bret's WCW theme was way better than his WWF theme. :colbert:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

That was definitely not Bret's WCW theme. It was a miscue, most likely. Or that video was made by WWE and they couldn't use his theme.

Bret's WCW theme was way better than his WWF theme. :colbert:

Did he have a special nWo theme like some other guys did that he rarely used?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Did he have a special nWo theme like some other guys did that he rarely used?
Bret was never in the nWo until Russo booked nWo 2000.

So here's a question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_BBY8eiDE&feature=related

In this match, at 5 minutes, Schiavone mentions that WCW will be on for another hour the next night on Tuesday from 8-9. I remember just about everything from WCW and I don't remember that at all. Is there a story behind it? When was it? It was after the Horsemen reunited in '98.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Bret was never in the nWo until Russo booked nWo 2000.

So here's a question:

In this match, at 5 minutes, Schiavone mentions that WCW will be on for another hour the next night on Tuesday from 8-9. I remember just about everything from WCW and I don't remember that at all. Is there a story behind it? When was it? It was after the Horsemen reunited in '98.

Only asked because in that video when Bret leaves the ring they say people like him in the nWo will do whatever it takes to win.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Von Linus posted:

When she was shaking Marlena like a loving rag doll was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjgIV-jpkY
About 3:30 SIGH.

DAMNIT the Pedigree sucks now. Aside from that one dude he spiked into the mat head-first, did he hurt someone important with the old version or something? It didn't look that high impact.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

Austin completely snubbed Hogan, causing Bret to pop huge.

Pause.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002

Pneub posted:

DAMNIT the Pedigree sucks now. Aside from that one dude he spiked into the mat head-first, did he hurt someone important with the old version or something? It didn't look that high impact.
This times a million. The old pedigree was perfect while the new one on the other side of the spectrum is so lame. It seems like as long as the guys head is far up enough to be protected, he should be fine. It doesn't seem like they would need their arms to brace for a bump on the stomach either.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I remember one random hour of Nitro on a Tuesday, probably this one, although they may have done it more than once. I have no idea why, from what I remember nothing notable happened.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If I remember correctly it had something to do with NBA playoffs.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Collias posted:

This times a million. The old pedigree was perfect while the new one on the other side of the spectrum is so lame. It seems like as long as the guys head is far up enough to be protected, he should be fine. It doesn't seem like they would need their arms to brace for a bump on the stomach either.

I thought it was because JEAN PAUL was landing on his knees with the bodyweight of the other lad associated with it, so after a few knee injuries he just went the way that would get less impact on his knees.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Tong Quixote posted:

The taping I was at, they finished the televised main event, and HHH did a promo as they went off the air about being the best or something like that. He moved into DX shtick and said the "for the millions watching at home..." line, and then looked at the ring guys, and said, "Wait, are we off the air? We're off the air. Okay, well, for the thousands in attendance, let's get ready to..." etc.

He finished up and the other guys came out for the dark main event, which in my case was Cena/HHH/HBK vs. JBL/Orton/Umaga. They began to fight/staredown in the ring, and the cage came down.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That was essentially how mine was. Cena was standing tall to close the broadcast, then the FBI came down and attacked, Lesnar made the save, a ref started the 2 on 3 dark main.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

That was essentially how mine was. Cena was standing tall to close the broadcast, then the FBI came down and attacked, Lesnar made the save, a ref started the 2 on 3 dark main.

At first I forgot about Nunzio, John Stamboli, and Chuck Palumbo's version of the Full Blooded Italians and thought the government agency stormed the ring to get Cena when Lesnar came out and to beat up the feds with Cena. Made the whole the whole seem a lot more funny.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Can someone tell me a little about the legit heat between the Rock and HBK? Someone once told me that HBK picked on the Rock when he was new, and that when Bret Hart wanted to lose to the Rock clean in an IC title match, HBK had a shitfit and convinced Vince not to let it happen. But the person who told me this is a huge Bret Hart fan and anti-HBK guy, so I had to take it with a grain of salt.

What is the problem between Rocky and Shawn?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DannoMack posted:

Can someone tell me a little about the legit heat between the Rock and HBK? Someone once told me that HBK picked on the Rock when he was new, and that when Bret Hart wanted to lose to the Rock clean in an IC title match, HBK had a shitfit and convinced Vince not to let it happen. But the person who told me this is a huge Bret Hart fan and anti-HBK guy, so I had to take it with a grain of salt.

Don't know any answers to this but it's the first time I've heard the part about Bret wanting to lose to Rocky. It just strikes me as odd because Bret didn't really lose clean to anybody once he was in the main event. I'm racking my brain and the only clean losses I can think of were to Owen and Davey Boy. One could argue how "clean" WM12 was with the sharpshooter being broken by the clock, and there was one ambiguous ref-stoppage finish in a Raw match with Austin.

Heck, may as well just make that a question of my own then. Did Bret lose clean to anybody else in WWF?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

DannoMack posted:

When the Rock was new to the WWF Shawn and HHH were complete pricks to him in the locker room and threw poo poo fits every single time he was pushed.

Things didn't really get better in the late 90's early 2000's since HBK seemed to send a lot snide comments Rocky's way. Since then the Rock has refused to really work with Shawn.

Where does Bret fit into this? From what I can tell from Bret’s book and from Dave M. is that back in the day Bret was decent to Rocky and wanted him pushed. I believe it since they both come from Wrestling families, and the both hated Shawn and HHH.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Only asked because in that video when Bret leaves the ring they say people like him in the nWo will do whatever it takes to win.
Even the commentators hosed it up all the time. He was affiliated with them, but he never joined. It was a whole weird thing.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He was on the nWo Hollywood team in the 1998 war games, but Hogan and Stevie Ray stabbed him in the back. I forget the lead up to the match itself.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Is there any beef between Jericho and HBK/Triple H?

Monday's RAW was the first one I had watched fully in years and, golly, it involved Jericho getting run down and made fun of by Triple H/HBK, something I saw a ton of back when I used to watch (moreso with Triple H.)

Is it just a coincidence, something that's become a sort of running joke (sort of like how JR would always get beat up/embarrassed/fired/etc whenever there was a show in Oklahoma), or is there anything to it?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jericho has a pretty longstanding kayfabe history with either one of them, but it was really just entertaining the fans. Jericho has been a relentless prick for the better part of a year and a half now and he finally had his comeuppance.

I highly doubt there's been any legit heat on the guy, he's one of the company's top heels and he and Big Show just ended a really long tag title reign less than a month ago.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

And Jericho is well-liked and respected in all corners of the business for being professional to the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Perdido posted:

Is there any beef between Jericho and HBK/Triple H?

Monday's RAW was the first one I had watched fully in years and, golly, it involved Jericho getting run down and made fun of by Triple H/HBK, something I saw a ton of back when I used to watch (moreso with Triple H.)

Is it just a coincidence, something that's become a sort of running joke (sort of like how JR would always get beat up/embarrassed/fired/etc whenever there was a show in Oklahoma), or is there anything to it?
It probably stems from biases formed by Hall and Nash. When Jericho made his return against Orton, evidently HHH and HBK spent the day running around the arena yelling, "Thank GOD Jericho's coming to save us! We need saving!" and poo poo like that.