Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This 2006 WRX was posted on the local Subaru forum, and I'm thinking of making an offer on it. The seller posted this picture of his engine bay:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Its a horn for an alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

If it's a manual and has any sort of electronic stability control and is not an STI, it has an open rear diff.
Or 07(?)-09 LGTs, which have ESP/ESC and a rear VLSD. Spec Bs (except maybe 06?) have ESP and a torsen rear diff.
And all OBs (at least until 09) have rear VLSD as far as i know.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I need some AWD guidance for my 07 Outback Sport (roof-racked Impreza Wagon). I completely NAILED a road crater on an unfamiliar backroad a few weeks ago going around 45mph. Sucker must've been around a foot deep with those lovely jagged edges.

Fortunately, my tires were intact and my alignment checks out OK. However, I'll still occasionally notice some wobble once I get to around 40mph. It's less pronounced and usually I don't notice now that that wheel is on the back after my half-assed tire rotation. But when the wheel was on the front there was noticeable wobble.

My best guess is that my leading wheel was whacked a bit out of true (they're the 16" stock alloys). My question is: Would driving on an untrue wheel for the long-term wreck havoc on my differential and whatnot? Doesn't seem like it would be nice for the AWD :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PabloBOOM posted:

I need some AWD guidance for my 07 Outback Sport (roof-racked Impreza Wagon). I completely NAILED a road crater on an unfamiliar backroad a few weeks ago going around 45mph. Sucker must've been around a foot deep with those lovely jagged edges.

Fortunately, my tires were intact and my alignment checks out OK. However, I'll still occasionally notice some wobble once I get to around 40mph. It's less pronounced and usually I don't notice now that that wheel is on the back after my half-assed tire rotation. But when the wheel was on the front there was noticeable wobble.

My best guess is that my leading wheel was whacked a bit out of true (they're the 16" stock alloys). My question is: Would driving on an untrue wheel for the long-term wreck havoc on my differential and whatnot? Doesn't seem like it would be nice for the AWD :(
This could be an out of whack wheel.
You might ahve also knocked off a wheel weight or you might have hosed up your sidewall (which can result in a blowout).
I recommend getting the tire inspected and putting the wheel on the balancer to see what can be done.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

nm posted:

This could be an out of whack wheel.
You might ahve also knocked off a wheel weight or you might have hosed up your sidewall (which can result in a blowout).
I recommend getting the tire inspected and putting the wheel on the balancer to see what can be done.

Those sound about right, I had a local tire place check the alignment and to do the quick rotate/balance for me since I don't have the space or tools where I live now, and they said they didn't notice anything wrong with the tires on that side. I gave it a once-over visual inspection too best I could on a jackstand though it's pretty foolhearty for me to think it'll hold up. I'll be changing the tires in another 10-15k miles anyhoo so I might risk it... but am a bit worried about unnecessary wear and tear on the diffs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I would think that any wear from the wobble would be happening to your suspension, not the drivetrain. The diffs only care about the tires being the same diameter, and I don't think a dented wheel would affect that.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Let's say hypothetically SOMEBODY I know very well disassembled a WRX motor he got for cheap. Continuing on this hypothetical track, lets say after finding no problems, he decided to reassemble the engine. Through further conjecture, imagine that he was a dumbass and didn't keep the cam retainers in any particular order.
Theoretically, how big of a problem could this be, if some guy did this?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I recently went through the ordeal of changing the spark plugs on my '07 Forester XT. Now my car is reading a misfire in cylinder #1.

So, stupid question: Which cylinder is #1?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
passenger (in america) front.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Interesting. I was wondering why cyl 4 had all sort of issues in these cars. A turbo 2in away can't help poo poo.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.
Cylinder 3 is 2in away. Cylinder 4 is on the other side

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

Cylinder 3 is 2in away. Cylinder 4 is on the other side
You're right.
I fail at math.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

jamal posted:

Good. That's the easiest one to get at.

I'm hoping I just have a bad connection to the coil or something.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Will a turbo crossmember/subframe for the transmission from a 2003 WRX bolt up to a 95 impreza, or only 98 and later?

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
This thread needs more pictures!

I took this today after putting snowboard racks on my FXT. 135k on the clock and she's still lookin' sexy.

Also, If someone in MN has a 3" catted downpipe that they don't want, PM me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your car is WAAAAAY too clean for its environment.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ab0z posted:

Will a turbo crossmember/subframe for the transmission from a 2003 WRX bolt up to a 95 impreza, or only 98 and later?

they all interchange until the new 08s. wheelbase is even the same 93-07

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Interesting development on my epic search for a WRX. I decided since it was possible the 2010s had open axles that I would look into similar cars; being a Mazda fan I looked up the MazdaSpeed 3. According to Mazda's comparison system the WRX does in fact have limited slip (it doesn't specify so I am assuming on the rear only).

Sigh, so the plot thickens. This is why I only get a new car every 9 or 10 years.

A friend of mine recommended I go out on a Saturday and test drive both cars back to back- like really get on them, be mean, see what they can do. So I'm going to do this, hopefully another smallish 4 door sporty sedan/wagon type car doesn't crop up between now and march.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

08+ wrx has an open rear diff to the best of my knowledge.

Oh so I've managed to break two CVs in the last month. I pulled my old axle apart and found that two of the bearings were completely gone:

maybe I should stop jumping my car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

At least your CVs are breaking for a reason. I just replaced the stock CV with a Cardone reman and the drat reman one is clicking sometimes already.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

jamal posted:

08+ wrx has an open rear diff to the best of my knowledge.

Oh so I've managed to break two CVs in the last month. I pulled my old axle apart and found that two of the bearings were completely gone:

Yeah, that's what you guys and motortrend both said. open difs. But Mazda's website has that car comparison thing where you pick 2 cars and compare them and it has both the 2010 MazdaSpeed3 and the 2010 WRX listed and in that thing it says the Subaru does have LSD(says they both have LDS as standard equipment to be more specific).

It's drat confusing. I'm just going to bring a socket set to the freaking dealership and take the rear diff cover off and check. I'm sure they wont mind if I go disassembling their new car they are trying to sell.

Nice work on the CVs. Just think of it this way, maybe they won't explode again for a while, seeing as how they are brand new now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PadreScout posted:

Yeah, that's what you guys and motortrend both said. open difs. But Mazda's website has that car comparison thing where you pick 2 cars and compare them and it has both the 2010 MazdaSpeed3 and the 2010 WRX listed and in that thing it says the Subaru does have LSD(says they both have LDS as standard equipment to be more specific).

It's drat confusing. I'm just going to bring a socket set to the freaking dealership and take the rear diff cover off and check. I'm sure they wont mind if I go disassembling their new car they are trying to sell.

Nice work on the CVs. Just think of it this way, maybe they won't explode again for a while, seeing as how they are brand new now.
Well, the WRX does have an LSD. It is just a center LSD.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

8ender posted:

At least your CVs are breaking for a reason. I just replaced the stock CV with a Cardone reman and the drat reman one is clicking sometimes already.

I got the new ones from napa which are only $75. The cv joints on them are physically larger than the ones I pulled off so there's one good thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

I got the new ones from napa which are only $75. The cv joints on them are physically larger than the ones I pulled off so there's one good thing.

According to Subaru the only CVs that dont suck rear end are the Cardone reman units but apparently this doesn't hold up in real life. According to the internet its pretty much a lottery, new or reman.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

nm posted:

Well, the WRX does have an LSD. It is just a center LSD.

I wonder if anyone is doing anything with locking diffs. I'd like center, front and rear locking diffs for a Subaru. That would be extra special.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PadreScout posted:

I wonder if anyone is doing anything with locking diffs. I'd like center, front and rear locking diffs for a Subaru. That would be extra special.
What you're looking for an Audi 4000 (80).
Unfortunately, the front diff is open, but center and rear are lockers.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
jamal, I need your opinion on short ram intakes. My tuner recommended one to go along with my new setup (APS hard-pipe inlet to go along with a silicone after-maf hose). I know that most of them are poo poo, but which is the least terrible in your experiences?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Whenever I turn the wheels to one extreme or another and back up, sometimes it feels like the cv joints are clunking. I called the Subaru dealer and they told me that there was a TSB about that issue saying that it is the center diff binding up and that it is normal. They said that they'd look at the cv joints at my next service to make sure there is no problem. Does this sound correct or are they just bullshitting me?

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I'm still a little confused with what awd system is available in the 2010 WRX. It only has the center LSD? I guess with reference to that youtube video that was posted earlier, would it pull the car up with one wheel still or require two to move forward?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yes, the center diff has a viscous coupling, like nearly every other subaru 5-speed awd transmission.

I posted a diagram of how it works a few pages back:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post366044892

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

yes, the center diff has a viscous coupling, like nearly every other subaru 5-speed awd transmission.

I posted a diagram of how it works a few pages back:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post366044892

I was wondering where you got this diagram, and if it was cool if I quoted that post on a local message board?

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

It's 2010, my debt is almost entirely paid off, so I decided to get a 2010 Impreza. I'm leaning towards an auto because that's all I've ever owned. I've driven a few manual cars, and machines, but I just prefer auto. The longest part of my daily drive is the Tim Horton's drive through and auto is easier :P

I have a 2009 loaner while they check out my 2002 Protege 5 and I already love it.

I suppose I could at least TRY it in manual before I make my final decision.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Try it in manual.

traumatizedslug
Feb 24, 2007

warwick5s posted:

Try it in manual.

With turbo

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

The price of a new Subaru Impreza in Canada is insane to begin with, I'm not willing to buy a Turbo, plus I don't want any of the hassles that come along with it.

I went back to the dealership today and he was having a hard time finding an auto in world rally blue so I told him if he can find a manual, I'll go manual :P He even took me out in a Forester to try my hand at manual which wasn't entirely horrible. I stalled it a couple times but I'll figure it out.

I paid a deposit, signed some papers, and provided the bank doesn't flip out for some reason I should have a 2010 Impreza Sport in world rally blue with dark tint and a set of winter tires and wheels by early February or sooner.

I'm getting paint protection, undercoating, and probably interior stuff too, but I'm not sure about the rust protection. They have the spray (without drilling holes apparently) or some electronic gizmo but I told him I need to research it first (sounds like snake oil :P)

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
By hassles you mean you dont know things about turbo cars. Get a turbo, manual, its way more fun. Consider a used one?

...just kidding you already signed papers. Oh well. At least youll have AWD.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Oil changes more often, fuel costs more (this car was expensive in Canuckistan), more likely to get speeding tickets. On the other hand the WRX is nicer looking. And while the 170hp and AWD of the sport Impreza already blows the doors off of my Protege 5, it might be nice to have a bit more.

Baby steps. This is my first manual car and I really didn't want to spend any more than this. In 5 or 10 years I'll be ready for my mid-life crisis and then I can buy a hovercar or a mech suit with turbo. Oh god, what if this IS my mid-life crisis. Tech support ages you.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

So my Impreza seems to be slowly healing itself from its engine death rattle. Its happening for less time and sometimes not at all when I start it up. The last three startups today had no rattle at all and the oil light went out instantly.

My only theory here is that I had some insane oil sludge strangling some part of the engine until the oil pump could overcome it, and that the fancy pants new oil I've put in it has slowly cleaned that out over the course of the last 3000 kms.

Or maybe its just giving me a few rattle free days to remind me of the good times before it throws a rod :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I decided to repaint my car white.

What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I put pinstripes on mine

and then some "white flames" on the side