Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Drei posted:

I'm fine with making stuff for friends - since I don't want to end up with too many FOs lying around the house unused I usually gift my projects anyways, and if a friend requests something specific I usually just want compensation for the yarn (which if a good deal for everyone thanks to my discount). But yeah, totally random person I've never spoken to before? My time is valuable and I expect to be compensated for that too.

I told someone this once after they asked me to make them a jumper and the answer I got back was "but you ENJOY knitting! Why should I pay you to do something you enjoy?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Anyone got suggestions for dyeable sock yarn besides KP Bare? I'd like something that doesn't felt (going off Ravelry comments) :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

I told someone this once after they asked me to make them a jumper and the answer I got back was "but you ENJOY knitting! Why should I pay you to do something you enjoy?!"

What if you enjoy painting? Writing? Balancing books? Teaching?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Is it possible that the 100cm refers to the size of the finished garment, not the size of the person its intended for?

I thought about that, but is it be normal for a garment to be that much bigger than its wearer? The photos shown don't make it look too loose, and the circumference of large (which was my initial instinct as to what to buy) would be a full 9 and a half inches longer than my underarm size--I admit to knowing very little (read: nothing) about sizing clothes in proportion to the body they're supposed to sit on, so I don't know whether this is perfectly reasonable or too large.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I just quote that it's cost of yarn plus $10 an hour (ps I'm naturally a slow knitter) and that usually shuts them up. :v:

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
My rule is that I'll knit anybody anything as long as they pay for the yarn (and I always "overestimate" the amount I'd need) I generally give away most of my projects anyway so I don't mind, especially when I wind up with extra free yarn for my stash. I've even made things for other goons, and they've all been nice enough to include extra for my time.

Then again, no one's ever asked me to make something as big as a sweater for them, but I bet I wouldn't be willing to make something so involved for just the cost of supplies.

BlondieIsMyNameO
Jul 31, 2006

Klams Jam posted:

This has been mostly ok, but I am having HUGE issues with my decreases. The way I'm knitting a ssk and a k2tog produce the same stitch, rather than the right/left slants they should.

Have you tried doing a SKP (slip, k1, pass slipped stitch over) instead of a SSK?

It sounds like - and I might be wrong - you might be twisting either your knits or purls by going through the "back loop"...which it is will depend on how your stitches are situated on the needle (for instance, I knit so that the "back loop" is really in the front of the work). If you're unintentionally ktbl/ptbl, it will throw off your ssk.

KlamsJam posted:

Also these socks are a tad too small - a size 5 rather than a 6 perhaps. For my next pair would I be better adding an extra 2-4 stitches to the CO or going up a needle size from 2.75mm to 3.25mm?

I like my socks knitted at a tight gauge to stop them from wearing out as quickly, so I would add stitches rather than going up a size.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

There's what I have so far. Am I wrong, or is that garter?

E: Also, what's your favorite yarn to work with, and why? :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Dancingthroughlife posted:

There's what I have so far. Am I wrong, or is that garter?

E: Also, what's your favorite yarn to work with, and why? :)

That's definitely garter. Are you sure you're knitting in the round?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I'm knitting on a round needle, an addi. I can't be accidentally purling, because I suck at purling.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Can you get a picture of the whole thing? that might help us know what is going on. This is like knitting CSI... :-)

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

I'm knitting on a round needle, an addi. I can't be accidentally purling, because I suck at purling.

It sounds to me like you are not knitting in the round, just knitting normally on circular needles. If you are knitting in the round, you would have something tube shaped, and I'm not sure what type of blanket would be knit that way.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I had no idea knitting in the round was different than knitting on a circular needle. :ughh:

E: Should also mention this is my first project ever.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

When you knit in the round you join the two ends of your cast on, so you're knitting a tube (like socks or mittens). I use my circulars for normal knitting as well like you have been doing, but that's not knitting in the round because you're still going back and forth!

If you want to knit this blanket in stockinette, you're going to have to start over (unless you want a garter border) and alternate knitting and purling rows. Mind you, unless you also make a garter stitch border at the sides, a blanket will curl up if it's all in stockinette. You're probably better off doing it in garter stitch, especially since knitting is easier than purling :)

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Thank you, elbow! I'll keep it in garter, I think. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

E: Should also mention this is my first project ever.

This is how you learn! Trust me, better to figure it out sooner rather than later. I didn't realize I was purling backwards for YEARS.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

elbow posted:

knitting is easier than purling :)

I so don't get this. I like purling way better. It's a far more natural motion.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
^^^^
Really? I have to force my fingers to purl, it seems backwards to me.
Forgot to say thank you for the help!

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

I agree! I find it easier to go through the loops in a purl.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Look Under The Rock posted:

I don't know, I think it's way easier to just scoop the yarn when I'm knitting. Could it be a continental vs English thing?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Purling is harder for me, particularly as I am bad about stitches. They're frequently way too tight.

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

I despised purling until I taught myself to knit continental. When I knit the English way, the gauge on my knit and purl stitches were very different and it was just extremely awkward to do, particularly ribbing. Now it looks so much neater and more even.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Do you live in England? No? Then knit the loving AMERICAN way, OK?

I'm super lazy, I'm just making an afghan now in garter stitch, but to at least make it look like I'm not totally lame I'm going at an angle so the lines are sideways.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Ozma posted:

Do you live in England? No? Then knit the loving AMERICAN way, OK?

I'm super lazy, I'm just making an afghan now in garter stitch, but to at least make it look like I'm not totally lame I'm going at an angle so the lines are sideways.

I tried knitting continental but it's way too awkward and kept slipping, English is the way for me!

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:

Drei posted:

Does anyone own a Namaste bag? I'm thinking of getting one but am not sure which one. I'm not a huge fan of big bags so I was going to get the Zuma...till my friend pointed out the zipper and fasteners make it look like a grumpy frog. The other one I'm drawn to is the Newport. I don't think I'd ever need space for a huge project but if it was big enough to slip my MacBook in for school also that would be swell.

I have the Newport. I just use it as a purse though. Anyway, it's held up well in the 6ish months I've had it, and I'm not gentle on my bags. I don't have any macbook pro to test it with, sorry :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I just briefly read something about those Namaste bags today in the new vogue knitting. They showed a really nice bag from them I believe.

I never knew there were NOT tacky bags for holding your knitting...Everything we sell at my job (I work at a yarn and button store) is...well, it's not like those bags.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Shnooks posted:

I just briefly read something about those Namaste bags today in the new vogue knitting. They showed a really nice bag from them I believe.

I never knew there were NOT tacky bags for holding your knitting...Everything we sell at my job (I work at a yarn and button store) is...well, it's not like those bags.

Tell me about it. I got given a "knitting bag" by my grandmother when I was 5. It's blue cotton with cats chasing balls of string on it. It's a stupid little size and you can't fit a pattern or book in it, let alone half a jumper. I use a big canvas tote instead.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I knit myself a knitting bag; it's felted so the needles of the project being worked on don't poke through. I keep my straight needles n' notions in a cylindrical makeup case, and have a circular kit in its own case that can also be thrown in there. I honestly never really understood why you'd need a specific bag for knitting/crafting projects; I just toss mine in whatever. I agree that the bags they sell at the craft stores are generally hideous.

Which makes me curious - how do you guys store your knitting gear? The above is how I transport projects. My DPNs are in that makeup case and tied together tightly with bits of yarn, or with hair ties/rubber bands. Notions and cable needles are in a small ziploc in the makeup case. I have a small laundry-ish basket with handles that holds miscellaneous projects I'm working on (I usually have more than one going at a time), and it lives behind a chair in my living room. Yarn stash is in a large plastic bin with a lid and lives in the attic, but I don't really have it organized in any way.

I knit English-style and don't mind purling at all, but I can't purl in Continental for poo poo. :( I probably just need more practice. I'm very adept at 2-handed stranded knitting (goes as fast as normal knitting and purling), but slow and awkward when it comes to Continental-only knitting.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Which makes me curious - how do you guys store your knitting gear?

Before christmas, I had 3 pairs of needles, and about 5 balls of yarn, so I just kept it all in a bag on my bookshelf. But now I have many many many needles, I keep them in 2 pringles cans. My yarn is in a box outside of my room, and projects I'm working on are on my lap, and when I'm not knitting they're on my bookshelf (I have a big bookshelf) so my cat can't get them.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I have a big tupperware container (one of those under the bed storage ones) that has most of my yarn, more is in these little bins I have to keep stuff organized in the living room. And all my poor needles are stuffed into one of those as well. It's pretty goddamn disorganized right now. Story of my life.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I have an old dresser in a spare bedroom that I store most of my yarn and notions in (along with other things, so it's not used exclusively for my yarn). I'm starting to run out of room. I really need to knit/crochet down at least 1/4 of my current inventory before buying any more yarn. Sigh.

As far as knitting style goes, I have always knitted continental, ever since I taught myself to knit. That may be why I had such a hard time picking it up at first, but now I can't imagine knitting any other way.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My knitting bag is my Timbuk2 bumblebee bag, because I am all types of badass. :c00lbert:

Unless I'm in a rush. Then my knitting bag is one of those 50 cent Wal-Mart reusable bags. :smith:

e: The rest of my yarn lives in four small fabric bins on my shelf. I'm pretty proud of myself. It used to be those plus two large Tupperware bins.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 9, 2010

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The Young Marge posted:

Which makes me curious - how do you guys store your knitting gear?

I have a needle roll that my great-grandmother made for my grandmother and just a giant tote bag for any projects that are in progress. My yarn just goes into big bins under my desk. I actually need to clean up my yarn collection and start purging a bit.

I've made needle rolls for other people; it's a pretty easy project and looks pretty cute, but it's admittedly not a great solution for circular needles if you want it to roll flat and look tidy.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My yarn is in those flat plastic bins that roll under the bed. As for my needles..

My boyfriend's grandmother gave me this HUGE thing of needles when we moved in together. It's this tubular bag with a handle and a latch to close the top. It's plastic probably but it's covered with some type of fabric. I have no clue what it was originally used for, or if it was meant for knitting needles, but it works. My circular needles are put away with my yarn because they just get tangled with the straight needles.

Usually I throw my projects in a plastic bag or my trader joe's bag. I know it's not super classy, but it works.

One day when I finally want to start quilting, I'll make myself a bag and needle holder. I can't justify buying a needle holder if I can make one - unless it's one of those nice ones that are like mini binders :3:

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
My yarn is in two gigantic plastic Sterilite storage bins to keep the cats and toddler out of it - feltable in one bin and non-feltable in another. Books and notions/needles that I'm not currently using are in with the non-feltables because it's got lots of room. The bins are in the corner of the living room.

My circular set stays in it's carry bag it came with and most of the rest of the supplies for my active project stay in that case too. It and the project of the moment are either on my lap or thrown in this zippered tote bag my mother got from some quilt symposium she went to. She PROMISES to make me a needle roll for my straights so they don't have to live in a jumble in the non-feltable box, but I am not counting on it - I got married 9 years ago and I'm STILL waiting for my wedding quilt and the last time I asked her to take in the waist on a pair of my two-year-old's pants, they were too small by the time she brought them back.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Right now my knitting bag is my Man Man squid tote!

Usually the knitting goes in whatever purse I'm carrying that day (I don't do small purses). I keep yarn and needles in a giant Rubbermaid storage box in my dorm closet.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
Ok, so I just walked out into the living room and looked at my yarn tubs that are sitting the the corner, RIGHT NEXT TO my mother's old cedar hope chest that she gave to me when I got married and I upholstered the lid of to make into a window seat. WHY am I not keeping my yarn in the cedar chest? Let me see what's in it. Errr....what is all this crap? Ugly decorative Christmas pillows someone gave me three years ago that I promptly shoved into the chest and forgot about? Yay, new yarn storage with the added bonus of mothless-ness!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
For storage I've got two sets of interchangeables: the Denise comes in a case that works fine for storage but I wasn't keen on the Knit Picks Harmony bag, so I picked up the Offhand Design Traveluxe which fits the needles and cables perfectly, and also has room for some crochet hooks, darning needles, needle gauge, and I use the zippered pouch for my DPNs. It's also really pretty and fuzzy... :3:

I also kinda covet the Fiona handbag from Offhand but it looks like they're being discontinued.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
I'm pathetic. I don't even have a tupperware bin for my yarn. It's in a cardboard box :( WIPs at home usually sit on my desk or in a chair. Needles are sitting unorganized on a shelf or with half the set in the stash box or something. I used to carry around projects in plastic bags but needles kept poking through and it was embarrassing in public, so I bought myself a cool little bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

I don't have any closing bins either. I have got one of those plastic/fabric collapsible organizers you hang in closets that I keep my stuff in, as well as all over my desk and in an easter basket near my desk. I recently got some of those little coils to hold needles together from knitpicks- they are very cool for keeping my dpns together.