Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I should've been more clear. I meant specifically in a situation where you're past being able to save it, and were going to crash like that, and positioning yourself for the least possible injury in a tip over. Releasing the brakes before the point of no return should be a no brainer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

I should've been more clear. I meant specifically in a situation where you're past being able to save it, and were going to crash like that, and positioning yourself for the least possible injury in a tip over. Releasing the brakes before the point of no return should be a no brainer :v:

:doh:

You're right though, this is the correct response:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

10 points for the flip on to his feet, -15 for the awesome throttle control.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

All those Mulholland crashes are weird, they don't seem to be pushing too hard, the tarmac looks good and they're all on bikes built for cornering.

This one was good though, steer into the slide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp2q8xzPJ48

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That guy needs to learn to hang off a bit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tentacle Party posted:

Cycle video power hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2UvuRLdTE

He's totally got target fixation on the rail. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

:doh:

You're right though, this is the correct response:

Oh man those pizzas are ruined

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

drat, look at the way the back of his head cracks the pavement before the last flip. If that's not an advert for helmets, I dunno what is.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

drat, look at the way the back of his head cracks the pavement before the last flip. If that's not an advert for helmets, I dunno what is.
On the flip side, look how little else he's wearing. If that's not an advert for ATGATT...

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

On the flip side, look how little else he's wearing. If that's not an advert for ATGATT...

Yeah, just from looking how he went down I bet he's messed up his left shoulder and arm pretty well. But I think that vest and helmet did save him from a lot more severe injury. *edit* You can actually hear it thunk against the pavement

And all things considered, this was a really low-speed crash, he couldn't have been going much faster then 30mph. I've heard the "I don't need a helmet, I don't go very fast" from my brother on his scooter before, this proves that it doesn't matter the speed, you can get srsly hosed up.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

...this proves that it doesn't matter the speed, you can get srsly hosed up.
Indubitably.

*points at the stoppie GIF above*
Speed = 0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

All those Mulholland crashes are weird, they don't seem to be pushing too hard, the tarmac looks good and they're all on bikes built for cornering.

This one was good though, steer into the slide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp2q8xzPJ48

Well, you can see that there's pretty consistently 2 types of crashes there...either the guys locking a brake and sliding into the rail on entrance or losing the rear on exit.

Obviously the entrance crashes are caused by people freaking out and locking the brake or trailing in really deep. On exit the road visually straightens out but you have to keep the bike leaned over to finish the corner, and they're all rolling on the throttle long before they're reducing the lean of the bike.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

Well, you can see that there's pretty consistently 2 types of crashes there...either the guys locking a brake and sliding into the rail on entrance or losing the rear on exit.

Obviously the entrance crashes are caused by people freaking out and locking the brake or trailing in really deep. On exit the road visually straightens out but you have to keep the bike leaned over to finish the corner, and they're all rolling on the throttle long before they're reducing the lean of the bike.

I was going to ask why they were crashing as well. Admittedly, I'm slow as hell in corners and Phoenix is all north/south and east/west so I'm having trouble figuring out what is going on. Thanks for the info Zen.

How fast are they going when they crash?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
This is as close as I'm going to come and it's not very close to riding a motorcycle for awhile :(

Got another 7" last night, winds are currently 26mph sustained with gusts over 40mph, temps are going to fall to -10F tonight and drop to -19 tomorrow night.

gently caress this weather :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

I was going to ask why they were crashing as well. Admittedly, I'm slow as hell in corners and Phoenix is all north/south and east/west so I'm having trouble figuring out what is going on. Thanks for the info Zen.

How fast are they going when they crash?

I've only run that road a few times, it's a total squid fest and there's some really stupid poo poo that goes down (obviously), I try and stay off it. I'd say probably anywhere from 15-25mph, not very quick. It's a fairly tight corner. These crashes seem like they come out of nowhere, but in reality the riders crashing on entrance are coming in way over the comfort level and staying on the brakes way too long, rather than braking early and setting their speed before corner entrance. The guys who are crashing on exit are trying way too hard to drive out fast and are dialing in a LOT of throttle when they shouldn't be.

Here's the weather out of my office window, a balmy 64 degrees. One degree off of optimum, Santa Barbara...:argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ahhhh, pre-9/11 Santa Barbara.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1p3iRBTfeY

This one is my favorite snake crash because of the shoe and the hollow sound it makes as it hits the guardrail.

Ahh seeing that shoe reminded me of a video i saw ages ago, a stunter came off and the bike landed on his be-sneakered foot. It was only hanging by a thread in the end. :argh: sneakers!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Here's the weather out of my office window, a balmy 64 degrees. One degree off of optimum, Santa Barbara...:argh:

O hay, I didn't realize you're in socal. :q:

I went out to utah last weekend for vacation and when I got back to LA it felt like I entered an alternate dimension where there is no such thing as weather.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

I went out to utah last weekend for vacation and when I got back to LA it felt like I entered an alternate dimension where there is no such thing as weather.

This always fucks with me when I go somewhere in the winter. Two years ago, I ended up in Chicago with nothing more than a leather jacket for warm clothing. In February.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

There's a fair number of us in SoCal. Once things get settled down a bit, I'll try and put together another maintenance day or something...now that Baby Hitler's gone though, we don't really have a place to work. Maybe we can beg a place to work from one of the other LA goons. Or you guys can come up to SB. :D

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

This always fucks with me when I go somewhere in the winter. Two years ago, I ended up in Chicago with nothing more than a leather jacket for warm clothing. In February.

HA! I mock you in your misery :)

Stupid snow . . . *goes outside to shovel*

double ether
Sep 17, 2002
More airborne sneaker action:

http://www.snotr.com/video/3302

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

double ether posted:

Please tell me I'm correct in thinking that guy is wearing nothing but pink short shorts.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

double ether posted:

aha, I love how the seat goes flying too.

fake edit: ^^^^^ it appears you are correct sir

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah yeah, too fast on the street etc etc, but gently caress, what reflexes!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Calling slight shenanigans on that. It's hard to tell speed ups on low frame rate vids, but stuff like splashing brakefluid makes it seem sped up. The wide angle can play tricks on my eyes too. Even so it's a serious pucker moment for a dumb rider.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I came.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Agree that video might be sped up a bit, speed seems a little excessive for the lean angle

vvvWhen I saw the thumbnail, I thought someone had grafted the front of a desmosedici onto a GSXR1100

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 9, 2010

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I came.

Gah, why the gently caress does this look so good? I want to call it very dated but jesus christ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eggyolk posted:

Gah, why the gently caress does this look so good? I want to call it very dated but jesus christ.

Wow, this is the best looking bike I've seen in a long time.

The oldschool GSXR-1100/750's had really good looking underpinnings, and were covered in typically 80's bodywork. When you cover them in something more modern, they really shine.

There is a lot going on in this picture. From what I can tell:

• Later SRAD tail plastics
  • Stock or slightly cut down tank. Either way, the tanks were always gorgeous on the early GSXR;s
  • Period-correct cigarette butt Yosh pipe
  • Period-correct Ohlins shocks with anti-dive
  • Period-correct performance rotors
  • Too much JPEG artifacting to see whats going on with the calipers
  • Modern Marchesini wheels
  • Mikuni RS-flatslides, look new, but were available as an upgrade back when.
  • Anodized fittings possibly suggest the endurance racing radiator, but could just be anodized fittings
  • Custom front bodywork that melds the classic slatted GSXR sides with a more modern front end.

So, lots of period-correct go-fast goodies with a dash of some more modern styling

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems massively sped up to me too.

That GSX-R is fantastic...it's amazing how just some slight revisions to plastics can make a bike look so modern.

That reminds me, I need to get the gixxer 500 up and running...:sigh: that's been sitting for a long time.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

There's a fair number of us in SoCal. Once things get settled down a bit, I'll try and put together another maintenance day or something...now that Baby Hitler's gone though, we don't really have a place to work. Maybe we can beg a place to work from one of the other LA goons. Or you guys can come up to SB. :D

I'm up for that. Definitely getting that drz400sm this weekend so I'll probably want to do something to it by then.

I'd offer my place but I live in a condo in Korea Town. Pretty sure my wife would be pissed if we all pulled into the living room.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

double ether posted:

I like to pretend he started out fully clothed and they all flew off when he hit the wall like Charlie Brown.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 8, 2010

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Either or. That was a good day. Where did BH go?

soy posted:

I'm up for that. Definitely getting that drz400sm this weekend so I'll probably want to do something to it by then.

I'd offer my place but I live in a condo in Korea Town. Pretty sure my wife would be pissed if we all pulled into the living room.

Where in Ktown? I used to live on Catalina & Woods. I'm on the west side now.

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 8, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

Small world, I live in k-town too

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ari.gato posted:

Where in Ktown? I used to live on Catalina & Woods. I'm on the west side now.

Near St. Andrews Square.. 3rd and Gramercy to be exact. (gramercy is a few blocks west of western)

redscare posted:

Small world, I live in k-town too

Not all that surprising considering it's one of the few affordable and not completely uninhabitable ghetto areas in LA.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
To any of the LA area goon riders: I meet up with a few friends (5-8) on Wed nights to just go out cruisin, grab some food and maybe a beer afterwards. All are welcome to join. PM me and I'll get you details.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

Not all that surprising considering it's one of the few affordable and not completely uninhabitable ghetto areas in LA.

Yeah, so much of LA is a giant shithole.

I'm off 5th and Kingsley. Let's go ridin!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Either or. That was a good day. Where did BH go?

Up to norcal...getting his business in order. He should be in SLO after awhile though.

I'm down for a meet but I really need some time off from traveling and poo poo after the holidays. If people want to come up to SB they're welcome to. I figure that we've got a few new folks and people who could benefit from a maintenance day type thing, so I'll try and get that going again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Up to norcal...getting his business in order. He should be in SLO after awhile though.

I'm down for a meet but I really need some time off from traveling and poo poo after the holidays. If people want to come up to SB they're welcome to. I figure that we've got a few new folks and people who could benefit from a maintenance day type thing, so I'll try and get that going again.

If you need help with that, I'll happily act as the LA liaison.