Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

DaveWoo posted:

Wow, that's a whole lot of words just to say "no, a double-bluff would be an unnecessary risk on Girard's part".

I think it was intended to be a riff on 'players wasting time overthinking something very simple,' but it didn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Ah, man, my prediction fell flat! And yet I'm not especially disappointed. Do elvish badgers perform well in sand?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

quote:

I think it was intended to respond "in universe" to speculation on the forums. He's done it before.

FTFY.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
does anybody understand what is going on in the last panel? I guess they teleported to in front of the gate now?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

bison wings posted:

does anybody understand what is going on in the last panel? I guess they teleported to in front of the gate now?

I believe that since Roy declined the use of Elan's montage, they went directly to several hours passing and the party NOT finding the gate.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah, it's a throwback to that old joke where they were waiting for nightfall and since nobody wanted to do anything until then, it instantly became night time.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Only in this case, we jumped ahead to the point where a search montage is necessary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DaveWoo posted:

Wow, that's a whole lot of words

Basically why I don't read Order of the Stick any more. The guy seems to have forgotten he's doing a comic and wants to put 300 words on every page.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gort posted:

Basically why I don't read Order of the Stick any more. The guy seems to have forgotten he's doing a comic and wants to put 300 words on every page.

How is this even vaguely coherent as a criticism? It's dialogue-heavy, sure. It's a comic strip, not a painting.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Gort posted:

When has this been any different?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gort posted:

Except its always been that way. From the very start, OotS has been a dialogue heavy strip.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I don't know about you, but I read The Order of the Stick for the art.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gort posted:

And yet you're in this thread discussing it. How does that work?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Gort posted:

Talking is a free action.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

With the amount of time that the author puts in between the release of new comics, I would imagine everyone would have enough time to read a strip even if they only read one sentence per day. So really, quit bitching and leave the thread.

Edit: Or just quit bitching.

Nosy_G fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2010

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's the CAD thread leaking; ever since they (or 4chan, I forget who now) decided that Buckley uses too many words, every strip with more than three syllables in it is :words:.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
You want a webcomic with too many words, check out Subnormality. I swear this guy wants to be writing an illustrated novel instead of a webcomic.

Compared to that, OOTS is relatively art-heavy. But personally I don't see the problem - some people lean towards words, some people lean towards text. A reasonable definition for "comic" is "sequential art", and even Subnormality has that.

(well, sometimes)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ZorbaTHut posted:

You want a webcomic with too many words, check out Subnormality. I swear this guy wants to be writing an illustrated novel instead of a webcomic.

Compared to that, OOTS is relatively art-heavy. But personally I don't see the problem - some people lean towards words, some people lean towards text. A reasonable definition for "comic" is "sequential art", and even Subnormality has that.

(well, sometimes)

This thread is now Understanding Comics, and we're going to spend 10 pages trying to define what a comic is.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Neito posted:

This thread is now Understanding Comics, and we're going to spend 10 pages trying to define what a comic is.

It'll give us something to do while waiting for Burlew to write half a novel for his next so-called "comic".

I need like a :smugv: emoticon here, half :smug: and half :v:, and one doesn't exist.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

Last night I dreamed I had the next OOTS book, i.e. the one in progress now. I woke up and wanted to see what people thought of the presidential debate between V and Belkar. :sigh:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neito posted:

It's the CAD thread leaking; ever since they (or 4chan, I forget who now) decided that Buckley uses too many words, every strip with more than three syllables in it is :words:.
No, seriously, that last comic was a ton of words with a handful of halfhearted digs between characters and no real payoff. The only version of the "is it a double bluff?" that has ever been entertaining and worthwhile was in the Princess Bride. Running through that logic was boring and the whole thing could have been done in 4 panels instead of spreading it over an entire goddamn page where nothing happens.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

mango sentinel posted:

No, seriously, that last comic was a ton of words with a handful of halfhearted digs between characters and no real payoff. The only version of the "is it a double bluff?" that has ever been entertaining and worthwhile was in the Princess Bride. Running through that logic was boring and the whole thing could have been done in 4 panels instead of spreading it over an entire goddamn page where nothing happens.

So you've never read this comic before right?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ZorbaTHut posted:

If someone is going to cram this much text into their comic (which in itself I am fine with) they need to understand fonts and leading and that typeface stuff. Because the bubbly hand-write look stuffed into balloons unevenly is a serious pain in the rear end to read so much stuff in.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Holy crap now that's a lot of text.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ashcans posted:

If someone is going to cram this much text into their comic (which in itself I am fine with) they need to understand fonts and leading and that typeface stuff. Because the bubbly hand-write look stuffed into balloons unevenly is a serious pain in the rear end to read so much stuff in.

If you're having issues reading that, you might benefit from not being so vain as to insist that you don't need glasses.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're having issues reading that, you might benefit from not being so vain as to insist that you don't need glasses.

Perhaps what he's getting at is that the comic is in desperate need of formatting. The eye (mine anyway) tends to get a bit lost somewhere near the middle of those giant unbroken text bubbles.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Shugojin posted:

Perhaps what he's getting at is that the comic is in desperate need of formatting. The eye (mine anyway) tends to get a bit lost somewhere near the middle of those giant unbroken text bubbles.

Yeah, that's my main problem with Subnormality as well, large blocks of handwritten capital text wear me down after a while.

That's probably why OOTS uses lowercase Comic Sans, I remember being told during teacher training that, for all its faults, it's an easy font to read (and that we should try and get our handwriting to emulate it).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HKR posted:

When has this been any different?

Read the first hundred strips. Count the words. Read the last bunch of strips. Count the words. Be enlightened.

It sucks now. It didn't used to suck. This is remarkable. I remarked.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

New comic:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I would have noticed it earlier but I do not normally pay attention to pronouns.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Assuming that green thing was a scrying attempt, then doesn't this confirm that Mr Scruffy is no ordinary housecat?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

Assuming that green thing was a scrying attempt, then doesn't this confirm that Mr Scruffy is no ordinary housecat?

It's a scrying sensor; as in, the thing a person looks through whilst scrying. Someone's scrying on the party, and Mr. Scruffy is the target, not scrying on someone else.

Also, scrying scrying scrying scrying. Now it sounds weird to say.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Neito posted:

It's a scrying sensor; as in, the thing a person looks through whilst scrying. Someone's scrying on the party, and Mr. Scruffy is the target, not scrying on someone else.

The point is the Mr. Scruffy noticed the sensor, which definitely implies high intelligence and/or Arcana knowledge. (Scrying sensors aren't normally visible.)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Ashenai posted:

The point is the Mr. Scruffy noticed the sensor, which definitely implies high intelligence and/or Arcana knowledge. (Scrying sensors aren't normally visible.)

Oh, yeah. I had thought there was something about cats being able to see scrying things, but I guess not.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Doesn't Mr Scruffy get a lot of bonuses based on being Belkar's animal companion? Since cats are quite a weak animal and Belkar is quite a high level, couldn't these bonuses explain it?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Noonsaliwah posted:

Doesn't Mr Scruffy get a lot of bonuses based on being Belkar's animal companion? Since cats are quite a weak animal and Belkar is quite a high level, couldn't these bonuses explain it?

Animal companion doesn't increase the animal's intelligence. It becomes stronger and more agile. Only familiars gain intelligence.

Also, since Belkar is a ranger, the animal companion only advances as 1/2 his ranger level. So, Mr. Scruffy is somewhat stronger, somewhat more durable, and has a few extra combat feats. However, except for a few extra tricks, he's not really any more intelligent.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe but at the same time Fluffy seemed pretty smart to start with, giving the king "advice" and all.

Of course that might be something that everyone who reads the predictions on the official forums has already figured out and I haven't so whatever I guess.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

Dang. The Free City of Doom must be packed to the brim with badasses to exist as a free city between the Empires of Sweat and Tears.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

DrakePegasus posted:

Dang. The Free City of Doom must be packed to the brim with badasses to exist as a free city between the Empires of Sweat and Tears.

What I want to know is, if there are Empires of Blood, Sweat and Tears, then where's the Empire of Toil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why can't they windwalk out of the desert?