Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
:siren:

It looks like a CableCARD-ready HDHomeRun is coming at CES!

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/04/hdhomerun-with-cablecard-coming-to-ces/

This could be huge, since a single M-card tuner should be able to cover a whole household.

Stutes fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Stutes posted:

It looks like a CableCARD-ready HDHomeRun is coming at CES!

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/04/hdhomerun-with-cablecard-coming-to-ces/

This could be huge, since a single M-card tuner should be able to cover a whole household.

:dance::dance::dance:

This would greatly simplify my future army of HTPCs..

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Thank you.. Thank you God.

I've been forced to switch to Comcast's HD-DVR since they stopped sending anything but local networks out over analog. I miss W7MC so much.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boxee Box officially announced, under $200

quote:

"D-Link's successful track record in bringing to market, award-winning digital home networking products, and its global marketing, distribution and channel sales capabilities made them a great fit for our first hardware vendor." stated Andrew Kippen, vice president of marketing for Boxee, "The Boxee Box by D-Link gives consumers what they want - an easy way to watch Internet or personal entertainment in their living rooms with a simple set-top box that costs under $200 and has no monthly fees."

The Boxee Box by D-Link is scheduled to ship in the first half of 2010 through the company's vast network of retail and e-tail outlets, and at D-Link's online store, https://www.dlinkshop.com.
Supported Codecs & Formats
Boxee can be used to play/view practically all common multimedia formats, including:

VIDEO:
Adobe Flash 10.1
H.264 (MKV, MOV)
VC-1
WMV
MPEG-1
MPEG-2
MPEG-4
AVI
Xvid
Divx
PCM/LPCM
VOB

AUDIO:
MP3
WMA
WAV
AIFF
FLAC
AAC
DTS
Dolby Digital
Ogg Vorbis

PHOTO:
JPEG
TIFF
BMP
PNG

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Regnevelc posted:

I'll try this tonight.

Thanks!

Didn't work. I am going to do the ubuntu min install and XBMC install. We'll see.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

This looks fantastic. I gotta figure out how to make this a WMC extender too!

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Boxee Box remote. Yeah, it's got a QWERTY keyboard. Awesome.

Click here for the full 1024x662 image.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Boris the Blade posted:

Boxee Box remote. Yeah, it's got a QWERTY keyboard. Awesome.

Click here for the full 1024x662 image.

Oh hell yea I think i'm ditching my mce computer for this. I think my parents are going to pick one up too so they can watch internet content.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looks like a nice machine. Too bad I can't stand the Boxee interface. Maybe it'll be hackable so I can put XBMC on it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
That remote easily seals the deal for me against the other media players if I needed to get one and decide against a full on HTPC.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm looking forward to comparing the Boxee Beta to XBMC tomorrow.

I've switched from XBMC (older version) to W7MC (for BluRay/WMV support) but am considering XBMC/Boxee again since I don't need BluRay anymore and apparantly XBMC/Boxee now supports WMV/WMA-Pro9.

nerox
May 20, 2001
The boxee remote really is ingenious. I see the list of codecs up there, are any of those 1080p content?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I don't get all the hate for Boxee. I am a new user to both it and XBMC and in terms of just set up and go, no deep day-long customizations I can't see why Boxee isn't better. XBMC looks so bland and I have to spend days searching for whatever option I'm looking for.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

CubanMissile posted:

That remote easily seals the deal for me against the other media players if I needed to get one and decide against a full on HTPC.

They are also going to sell the remote separately (via @boxee on twitter) for use on other hardware running boxee (and maybe we can get it working on other media centers as well).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Schmoli posted:

They are also going to sell the remote separately (via @boxee on twitter) for use on other hardware running boxee (and maybe we can get it working on other media centers as well).

Haven't had a chance to look at the specs, but it has to communicate to the computer in some fashion or another, and we'll be able to see those using EventGhost at the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see it officially supported in XBMC eventually as well.

Edit: wow only six buttons on the front? That kind of sucks. With XBMC, I have to have a BACK button, a CLOSE button, a MENU button, an INFO button...their interface better be good enough to work around those kind of things.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2010

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

suddenlyissoon posted:

I don't get all the hate for Boxee. I am a new user to both it and XBMC and in terms of just set up and go, no deep day-long customizations I can't see why Boxee isn't better. XBMC looks so bland and I have to spend days searching for whatever option I'm looking for.

The default XBMC skin is bland. That's why you use something like Aeon or Alaska.

Boxee and XBMC are about equal when it comes to time-to-customize. They'll perform the same out of box, and XBMC you can customize to recognize more of your media.

What Boxee has going for it right now as opposed to XBMC:

1. Boxee Box which allows you to buy it and plug it in.
2. Already has native support for DXVA accel on Windows.
3. Netflix, Pandora and a few other plugins like that.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Thermopyle posted:

What I don't understand is how the Boxee Box, which is supposedly running Linux, is able to get Netflix. I thought Netflix required Microsoft Silverlight, which, at least to my knowledge, does not exist for Linux.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That remote looks sexy, but has nobody considered the implications of putting 30+ buttons on the part of the remote you have pressing against your hand?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
God, if only they didn't make the shape of the boxee box so drat retarded, it could be the prefect HTPC.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Crackbone posted:

That remote looks sexy, but has nobody considered the implications of putting 30+ buttons on the part of the remote you have pressing against your hand?

Well I suppose it could disable itself it the keyboard is upside down, but I guess I can see plenty of problems with that too perhaps it'll need some sort of hinged case that you can snap closed when not using the kb. Now I'm imaging a remote in the style of a G1 style smartphone, where you can slide out the keyboard, that'd be really great!

As for the next post, the shape is retarded, but I don't think that's a deal-breaker for me, as it'll go inside my media cabinet anyway.

strikrr
Nov 21, 2003
So I am looking for a little bit of help. I just got my XBMC system set up last night.

Specs:
Zotac 9300 itx board
E5200 C2D
2 Gig Mem
DVD Burner
500gig drive

I have this remote/ir receiver
AVS Gear GP-IR01BK
and this Logitech remote
Harmony 670

Out of the box the AVS Media Center remote does most everything in XBMC, I can move around, select items, pause play etc. I was able to teach my Harmony those same commands, however I can't for the life of me figure out how to bring up the menu you would get if you right click on a item like something in a library to rename etc or how to get my remote to put my machine to sleep and then bring it back out. I tried looking at EventGhost but admit that I was somewhat lost as to what to do. I was hoping someone could lend some help there.

Edit: I found some good info here http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54466 and I was able to get my Harmony completely configured the way I wanted without much hassel.

Also with the case I got things seem a bit louder than I would like. The case I got is this:
APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX

I am using the stock cooler for the processor and the power supply has a fan but that is all. Curious if there are any suggestions for that or if I should switch to a different case. I am not opposed to switching to a larger HTPC style of case I just would like something that is as close to whisper as possible with a power supply fan and stock E5200 cooler and will still take an itx board even if the case isn't itx.

strikrr fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 7, 2010

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Schmoli posted:

As for the next post, the shape is retarded, but I don't think that's a deal-breaker for me, as it'll go inside my media cabinet anyway.

While I'll say the shape is a weird choice, the remote is RF. You'll be able to place it out of view and not have to worry about the controls being registered.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

suddenlyissoon posted:

Like someone else mentioned, the skins for XBMC really blow Boxee out of the water.

I did use Boxee for awhile, as it was much friendlier in terms of initial setup than XBMC. But as soon as I wanted to take my HTPC to the next level, I found Boxee really lacking in terms of customization. In the interim, XBMC has also become much easier to setup (though it could use a wizard for new users).

Also, I think Boxee hates me. I have it installed on my third machine now (all Windows), and things like Hulu, Netflix, even Apple Trailers never work.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Has anybody compared the Boxee Beta (open beta starts today) to the latest XBMC (w/Confluence, etc)?

I'm thinking about switching back to (either) of them from W7MC + MediaBrowser...

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

The default XBMC skin is bland. That's why you use something like Aeon or Alaska.

Boxee and XBMC are about equal when it comes to time-to-customize. They'll perform the same out of box, and XBMC you can customize to recognize more of your media.

I did install Aeon but after spending close to an hour trying to customize it I stopped. Maybe I will like Alaska more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I don't get all the hate for Boxee.
I think it's mostly historical. When Boxee was released, which was not that long ago, it was Mac-only and sold as "XBMC with social networking". And everyone hates social networking! Sure it has a different skin, but XBMC has a lot of skins. So no killer reason to switch. Even now, if you don't need DXVA or those plugins, it doesn't seem to have many advantages.

Boris the Blade posted:

What I don't understand is how the Boxee Box, which is supposedly running Linux, is able to get Netflix. I thought Netflix required Microsoft Silverlight, which, at least to my knowledge, does not exist for Linux.
The press release for the Boxee Box only mentions Netflix in the generic Boxee section, so I don't think it does. Plus this: http://support.boxee.tv/forums/49600/entries/43967

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

suddenlyissoon posted:

I did install Aeon but after spending close to an hour trying to customize it I stopped. Maybe I will like Alaska more.

What kind of customization are y'all doing that involves so much time? The longest part of the process is scanning your media files and adding them to the library (which can be greatly simplified with something like Ember Media Manger) and even that isn't really that hard. Adding plugins is fairly simple, especially with the installer (although that should really come as part of the xbmc package).

Skins are even easier. There's only about 20 or 30 customization options, and all of those are pretty trivial to figure out.

You want to talk about customization, take a walk through the old Meedio Ultimate Installer. Jesus christmas it was bad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vinlaen posted:

Has anybody compared the Boxee Beta (open beta starts today) to the latest XBMC (w/Confluence, etc)?

I'm thinking about switching back to (either) of them from W7MC + MediaBrowser...

I've got both installed on this very computer.

The newest default skin of XBMC (Confluence) is much better looking than Boxee's skin and much better looking then the old XBMC default skin.

From scratch, both require the same amount of configuration. What more work you have to do is determined by how your media files are organized and named.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hmmm, I'm a little disappointed in hearing that actually. I really like the idea of Boxee's video streaming capabilities but I wish it had a better interface to go with it.

I'm at work right now but I plan on installing both of them when I get home to make a comparison too...

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

quote:

Boxee Box internals revealed. NVIDIA Tegra 2 FTW

Many have been asking about it and we’ve been eager to share the details of what’s inside the Boxee Box by D-Link. Today we’re making a joint announcement with NVIDIA and D-Link revealing that the Boxee Box is powered by the Tegra 2 (T20) platform!

The T20 is based around a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU with that additional graphic umphhh NVIDIA is famous for, allowing us to deliver our user experience in a small box, and very low power consumption (we’re green too )

With Tegra 2 powering the Boxee Box you can:

* Enjoy a fluid and responsive user interface that is similar to the UI performance up till now available only on full blown PCs

* Play 1080p video from locally stored content and stream HD video content from the Internet

* Play Adobe® Flash® 10.1 content from across the web, including HD content

More inside the Box:

* RF chip by Nordic – to support a great remote control experience that is not dependent on line-of-sight and can work from anywhere in the house

* 802.11N wireless chip by Broadcom

What’s not in the Box:

* No hard-drive – We discussed hard-drive at length with D-Link, and figured people already have storage solutions, and that we should do our best to reduce the price of the Boxee Box. You’ll be able to connect your choice of storage devices directly to the Box using USB

* No IR – While we realize many people are using universal remotes, we believe there is a greater benefit having a full QWERTY keyboard, and the right way to do that was RF. We really wanted to also support IR, for various reasons we could not get it as part of the build. We continue supporting this in software, so you can use any IR dongle and continue using your universal remote with Boxee.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So does the Boxee Box work out of the box (with the OS on flash or something), or does it need a HDD?

I didn't realize how small it is. 120mm is tiny.

Also, only RF remote is a pretty bad idea. Like they say, it kills it for something like Harmony universal remotes.

EC posted:

Edit: wow only six buttons on the front? That kind of sucks. With XBMC, I have to have a BACK button, a CLOSE button, a MENU button, an INFO button...their interface better be good enough to work around those kind of things.
That was my first reaction too. And I like having skip and FF options. OTOH, Hulu Desktop manages to get by with only 6 buttons and it works OK.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't mind the lack of IR. I would imagine that anyone that most people have sort of IR receiver kicking around at this point, and everyone else would have the knowhow/impetus to buy a cheap receiver.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Where is the download for Alaska? I found a mediafire link but it wouldn't load for me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

suddenlyissoon posted:

Where is the download for Alaska? I found a mediafire link but it wouldn't load for me.

Hit the Download Source link from this page, but note that there's some extras you need to download from the MF page but that it seems to be going really slow right now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, I dunno whether anybody noticed this yet, but there have apparently been builds available for a while now for the DXVA-enabled branch of XBMC. It looks like it's nearly done since the to-do list consists of something that's just being finished up today (getting it to compile with VC Express) and adding subtitle support. There's a thread about it here if anyone's interested. It's news to me, anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

So, I dunno whether anybody noticed this yet, but there have apparently been builds available for a while now for the DXVA-enabled branch of XBMC. It looks like it's nearly done since the to-do list consists of something that's just being finished up today (getting it to compile with VC Express) and adding subtitle support. There's a thread about it here if anyone's interested. It's news to me, anyway.

Yes, it's been discussed in the XMBC thread.

It works with caveats which seem to depend upon the phase the moon is in.

I've been following that thread since it's beginning...

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

My Lenovo media keyboard/trackball/mouse thing finally showed up today (P.S. I HATE signature required deliveries). I haven't played with it too much yet, but I've got some first impressions.

First off this thing is drat small. Like smaller than I was expecting, but in a good way. It's small enough to fit amongst my other remotes and not look completely out of place. Here's a picture (from my terrible camera phone.

Granted I've got some drat big hands, but it's just the size I was hoping.

As far as keys go it looks like everything from a regular keyboard is present with the interesting exception of the Escape key. Also interesting is the Fn+Enter performs Ctrl+Alt+Del. I assumed this meant that it couldn't handle three simultaneous inputs, but it can do this as well. It seems it would have made more sense to make Fn+Enter equal Escape, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. The standard media buttons are all present and everything worked without any sort of configuration.

Typing is pretty much like texting on a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. I wouldn't want to use it as a replacement for a real keyboard, but it works just fine for my HTPC purposes. The trackball is a trackball. I haven't used one of these since the mid 90s, so I can't say how it compares to a real one. Again though, it works for my purposes.

I was a little worried about the range but the keyboard works just fine from 20 yards away and through about 3 walls. I assume the mouse doesn't work as well from that far but I couldn't see the TV from that far.

One other oddity is the large orange button at the top left. This button opens My Computer, rather than something logical like Media Center. I can't really figure this one out but whatever.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this thing. However, even though it could work in place of a regular remote, I don't know if I'd recommend as your only input device. A regular remote works much better for Media Center purposes. But for coffee table keyboard and mouse purposes, it's just what I wanted.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WTFBEES posted:

Awesome review

I don't suppose you have any linux-based setups you could test that thing on, do you?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

BorderPatrol posted:

I don't suppose you have any linux-based setups you could test that thing on, do you?

I don't at the moment, but I might be able to throw something together this weekend. I'm not real up on my distros (nor do I know if it would make a difference), but is there any particular one you'd like me to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WTFBEES posted:

I don't at the moment, but I might be able to throw something together this weekend. I'm not real up on my distros (nor do I know if it would make a difference), but is there any particular one you'd like me to try?

Actually the easiest would be to just bootup an XBMC Live CD and see if all the mouse movements and keyboard commands work the same, that's my main concern.

Also, not really HTPC related but Microsoft announced at CES that the Xbox360 will soon be able to act as a TV Reciever and DVR with customers using ATT U-verse. Change channels, pause, rewind, record TV and all that jazz.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 8, 2010