Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Tedronai66 posted:

I think you can even get the Even More Plus plans with tmo (which would be fairly cheap, $60/month for talk/text unlimited). You'll of course have to turn off whatever data once you jailbreak.

T-Mo also has a 500 voice / unlimited messaging plan for $40/month that might suit me pretty well.

But then.. looking at my AT&T bill, I'm paying $45/month for 500 voice / messaging, and I think the AT&T network has better coverage here, so if I could manage to just stop paying for 3G data I'd probably be pretty content.

AT&T doesn't allow you to forego data and not have the iPhone data plan on your contract if you have an iPhone, right? I'd just as soon keep giving them my money but if that's not an option then I'll probably think about paying the ETF and moving over to $40+tax/mo. at T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm in upstate NY on AT&T Wireless, a few months into a 24mo. contract for an iPhone 3GS. I'm paying $90/month for iPhone Data and the cheapest voice and text messaging packages.

I was previously using a $20 family plan Verizon phone and an iPod touch. I love the upgrades that the iPhone 3GS gave me over the iPod touch and the convenience of only having to carry one device. I hate paying $90/month when I almost never use 3G data (WiFi is available for 95% of my waking hours) and use less than 200 voice minutes per month.

I think I'd be happy using my iPhone exclusively with WiFi, treating it as a glorified iTouch that also makes calls and text messages, by dropping the data plan completely and switching to a cheaper voice/messaging plan.

Is it possible to jailbreak my iPhone and switch to something like a pay-as-I-go voice/messaging plan on T-Mobile? I'm willing to eat the early termination fee if it means saving a decent amount of money over the next 20 months or so.

This is a questionable work around but you could always get a cheap AT&T pay-as-you-go phone, swap your 3GS SIM, call AT&T, get the data plan taken off (and have them put a block on it), and put the SIM card back in the iPhone. You won't have Visual Voicemail anymore but you won't be paying an extra $30 a month for data you don't want.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My wife and I want to get two new cellphones. I want an Android phone with a slideout keyboard and she wants a phone with a QWERTY keyboard that is almost a smartphone (like an Instinct kind of).

We don't talk on the phone a whole lot (my last cell phone bill was for like 45 minutes) but we do use a lot of text messages and I anticipate using a lot of data.

So I want a couple of phones, low minutes, lots of text and data, and I don't want to spend more than $100 total per month on phone service for the two phones.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

PBCrunch posted:

My wife and I want to get two new cellphones. I want an Android phone with a slideout keyboard and she wants a phone with a QWERTY keyboard that is almost a smartphone (like an Instinct kind of).

We don't talk on the phone a whole lot (my last cell phone bill was for like 45 minutes) but we do use a lot of text messages and I anticipate using a lot of data.

So I want a couple of phones, low minutes, lots of text and data, and I don't want to spend more than $100 total per month on phone service for the two phones.

EPRP is going to be your lowest price. 1600 minutes, unlimited text/data for 110/month.

Samsung Moment for you and Hero or tour or pre or pixi or moment for your wife.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract: FamilyPlan with PDA Personal on my line. I have another contract up on another line on the plan.

Budget: I'd like to avoid going over $200.

Features: Actual keyboard, touchscreen would be a nice touch.

I currently have a BlackJack 2 from a couple years back, but it's been wigging out on me lately so I'm looking at replacing it. All of the phones built on a similar platform as it don't interest me (The Moto Q, the Jack, Propel, etc.) I'd like to get a Tilt2 as it has both touch and physical keyboard, but for $300 it's a bit much. The HTC Pure looks nice, but I'd have to sacrifice the keyboard.

I guess I'm looking for Pure and Tilt2 owners to give me some insight on which to pick, assuming both were viable in terms of money. The iPhone I suppose is an option as well, as I plan on keeping the dataplan and whatnot, so even subsidized I understand how expensive it is. The 3GS would be what I would get most likely, if I were to go Apple.

tl;dr HTC Pure, HTC Tilt2, or Apple iPhone?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Country/Provider: USA / Any (though my gf is on AT&T)

Current contract: Sprint Affiliate Employee plan that they don't know I'm still getting. No contract, month to month.

Budget: Around $300

Features: Full Browser, strong app support. Basically iPhone or Android.

I've had an extremely lovely Sprint flip phone for 3 years now, and the only reason I haven't changed is that I get an Employee plan from when I sold their phones, and they haven't figure out that I am no longer working at Best Buy. I can't change phones without having them verify my employment, so I my flip phone is on it's last legs with a busted hinge. I'm a pretty huge techno-geek, so it doesn't really fit my style anyway.

I'm looking to upgrade to an iPhone or Android phone. The iPhone seems like an obvious choice, since it's 3 generations in, has a huge community, and my girlfriend already has AT&T, so I could probably get on a shared plan. However, a lot of people tell me that AT&T is one of the worst parts about getting an iPhone, and I've seen a lot of the issues they've had dealing with data load on their network. I'm open to any provider.

I've been hearing about the Android-based phones, and seeing lots of cool apps on them. I'm not really aware of much more than that, however.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Current contract: FamilyPlan with PDA Personal on my line. I have another contract up on another line on the plan.

Budget: I'd like to avoid going over $200.

Features: Actual keyboard, touchscreen would be a nice touch.

I currently have a BlackJack 2 from a couple years back, but it's been wigging out on me lately so I'm looking at replacing it. All of the phones built on a similar platform as it don't interest me (The Moto Q, the Jack, Propel, etc.) I'd like to get a Tilt2 as it has both touch and physical keyboard, but for $300 it's a bit much. The HTC Pure looks nice, but I'd have to sacrifice the keyboard.

I guess I'm looking for Pure and Tilt2 owners to give me some insight on which to pick, assuming both were viable in terms of money. The iPhone I suppose is an option as well, as I plan on keeping the dataplan and whatnot, so even subsidized I understand how expensive it is. The 3GS would be what I would get most likely, if I were to go Apple.

tl;dr HTC Pure, HTC Tilt2, or Apple iPhone?

iPhone all the way. No person should ever subject themselves to Windows Mobile unless they don't need to. If you're going to pay $30/month for one of them, might as well pay for the best one. Resistive touchscreens suck, especially if it's your primary text input on a touchscreen-only device like on the Pure. The 3GS is still one of the best phones on the market.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Godzilla07 posted:

iPhone all the way. No person should ever subject themselves to Windows Mobile unless they don't need to. If you're going to pay $30/month for one of them, might as well pay for the best one. Resistive touchscreens suck, especially if it's your primary text input on a touchscreen-only device like on the Pure. The 3GS is still one of the best phones on the market.

My only issue with the iPhone is it feels like I'm paying for the ability to have apps when I don't particularly plan on using a whole bunch of them. Do most users eventually get used to the fact that they don't have a real keyboard to touch? Right now I've gotten things down to where I can touch type on my phone, and it's definitely nice.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Any (though my gf is on AT&T)

Current contract: Sprint Affiliate Employee plan that they don't know I'm still getting. No contract, month to month.

Budget: Around $300

Features: Full Browser, strong app support. Basically iPhone or Android.

I've had an extremely lovely Sprint flip phone for 3 years now, and the only reason I haven't changed is that I get an Employee plan from when I sold their phones, and they haven't figure out that I am no longer working at Best Buy. I can't change phones without having them verify my employment, so I my flip phone is on it's last legs with a busted hinge. I'm a pretty huge techno-geek, so it doesn't really fit my style anyway.

I'm looking to upgrade to an iPhone or Android phone. The iPhone seems like an obvious choice, since it's 3 generations in, has a huge community, and my girlfriend already has AT&T, so I could probably get on a shared plan. However, a lot of people tell me that AT&T is one of the worst parts about getting an iPhone, and I've seen a lot of the issues they've had dealing with data load on their network. I'm open to any provider.

I've been hearing about the Android-based phones, and seeing lots of cool apps on them. I'm not really aware of much more than that, however.

Hop on the sprint deal (they'll pay your gf's etf) in the coupons thread. Of course, you'd have to port your number off sprint to a pre-paid phone for a few days to get this to work. The $1 phone deal is back until the 31st. You can get a hero or moment. both are awesome android phones (and not restricted to ATT's lovely network).

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

Hop on the sprint deal (they'll pay your gf's etf) in the coupons thread. Of course, you'd have to port your number off sprint to a pre-paid phone for a few days to get this to work. The $1 phone deal is back until the 31st. You can get a hero or moment. both are awesome android phones (and not restricted to ATT's lovely network).

I'm looking to get rid of my iphone 3G... where the heck is the coupons thread so I can read more about this? I looked... I swear.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

wav3form posted:

I'm looking to get rid of my iphone 3G... where the heck is the coupons thread so I can read more about this? I looked... I swear.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235598

or use the cellphone filter

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 19, 2009

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
I've been using Google Voice for the last few months and I'm ready to transition completely. Cancelled my iPhone plan this morning and I'm looking for a no contract phone to use. I'd like to be able to buy more minutes at retail (wallmart, 7eleven, etc) and fill up directly on the phone but it's not a deal breaker.
Basically, recommend me a no-contract provider. (Pacific Northwest)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Runoir posted:

I've been using Google Voice for the last few months and I'm ready to transition completely. Cancelled my iPhone plan this morning and I'm looking for a no contract phone to use. I'd like to be able to buy more minutes at retail (wallmart, 7eleven, etc) and fill up directly on the phone but it's not a deal breaker.
Basically, recommend me a no-contract provider. (Pacific Northwest)

Are you going to be using your iphone on this?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I just had my trusty N80 stolen and to be honest I'm sort of happy to switch away from Symbian S60 at this point. It was a broken Mobile Os that never really got the momentum it needed to take off app-wise. I use Linux as my main desktop OS, so syncing contacts was always a pain in the rear end given Symbian's proprietary structure. Currently I'm eying the Nokia N900 as my next phone, but I could go the android route with some persuasion.

Any recommendations?

(PS, I usually live in Finland where all phones are bought unlocked and consequently at full price.)

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Country/Provider: U.S. Cellular

Current contract status: Just a family calling plan I split with my mother

I just want to replace this terrible, falling apart Samsung phone they gave me. I really just want to make and receive phone calls.
I wouldn't mind being able to take a picture and send it to my computer, which I can't even do with this phone, and I can't see any reason not to have music on it.
So,
and please dumb this way down for me,
can I just buy one of these cheap touchscreen phones from Hong Kong:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30980
?
I know nothing about my provider and what kind of network I'm on or what is in the phone for a chip or a card or whatever..
Can U.S. Cellular switch me to that phone or can I just take some chip out of it and put it in the new phone?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Provider : T Mobile
Plan : 1200 ? Minute tier
Current Phone : RAZR
Phone under consideration :Nokia 7510
Why? : Like having all my devices (Kindle , mp3 player& cameras ) all charge on the same charger . Like to grab and pipe in ringtones with the Moto tools and would like to keep them with the Nokia . Like the price and flip form factor,wonder if it will physically hold up . Any goons using the Nokia supernova series?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: On a family plan

# Budget (phone/plan): $100

# Features I know I want: Texting, lots of texting.

I'm pissed off at my current phone, LG CF360. I get pretty good service when I'm at school in Albany, NY, but back home on Long Island, I get the shittiest service imaginable. It is definitely a lot to do with the phone though, as my old phones were not nearly this bad. I'm getting texts days after people send them to me and people aren't even receiving half of mine. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 2011, so what can I do? My father is, can I just get an upgrade with him and stick my sim card in it or will that backfire somehow? I don't care about cameras, or music playback, all I use is texting, regular calls, and the calculator and calendar functions on my phones. I was considering getting this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290384729277&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT would that be a good idea? I just want to stick my sim card in it and go. I'm usually good about shopping around and researching but I just can't handle that with cell phones for some reason so any and all advice is appreciated.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Country/Provider: I'm moving back to the states after two years abroad, I'm moving to South-East New Mexico (Las Cruces, Alamogordo area), I'm torn between T-Mobile and Verizon but am open to other providers.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: under $200; Plan: I'd ideal like to pay at most $50/month (that said, I've been away from the US for a few years and am not really sure what a "typical" cell phone plan costs)

Features I know I want: I call only about 5 or 6 people regularly so free calls to x numbers would be nice. The basics like voice mail. Texting. I'm not sure if where I'm moving to has 3G so internet and all that fancy stuff is not required. Basically I just want a phone I know will work in an area that seems pretty out in the middle of nowhere.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm just curious, what's the cheapest way for me to upgrade my phone (Sprint SERO plan with a Palm Centro) to an HTC Hero? Right now I can get it for $179 + $100 mail in rebate (so really $280) and I don't have the money at the moment to pay for it.

I'd like to either upgrade my phone or switch to a different provider and see if I can get a fairly similar plan to SERO. Any suggestions would greatly help :]

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Country/Provider: I'm moving back to the states after two years abroad, I'm moving to South-East New Mexico (Las Cruces, Alamogordo area), I'm torn between T-Mobile and Verizon but am open to other providers.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: under $200; Plan: I'd ideal like to pay at most $50/month (that said, I've been away from the US for a few years and am not really sure what a "typical" cell phone plan costs)

Features I know I want: I call only about 5 or 6 people regularly so free calls to x numbers would be nice. The basics like voice mail. Texting. I'm not sure if where I'm moving to has 3G so internet and all that fancy stuff is not required. Basically I just want a phone I know will work in an area that seems pretty out in the middle of nowhere.

Holloman AFB guy? Go with Verizon. T-Mobile doesn't have poo poo for coverage in that area. I know that because I've visited that area the last 2 summers. I can get coverage to a certain point in Alamogordo but I'm roaming when I'm down there. The situation should be better in Cruces but dunno. Verizon has 3G throughout the area. As for the plan, you can probably get a discount from VZW. If you want a smartphone, Verizon has the Droid. But Verizon has terrible rates without a discount (somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for the data plan and a basic 450 minute plan IIRC.)

ceebee posted:

I'm just curious, what's the cheapest way for me to upgrade my phone (Sprint SERO plan with a Palm Centro) to an HTC Hero? Right now I can get it for $179 + $100 mail in rebate (so really $280) and I don't have the money at the moment to pay for it.

I'd like to either upgrade my phone or switch to a different provider and see if I can get a fairly similar plan to SERO. Any suggestions would greatly help :]

Your only option for upgrading to a phone that is compatible with SERO is the Touch Pro 2. Otherwise, you're going to have to migrate to the $70 plan with Alliant Credit Union discount to bring it down to $55. Then you can get the Hero.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

900ftjesus posted:

Plan: Sprint EPRP (see Sprint thread) $59/month, unlimited text and data, free Sprint Nav, 500 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of carrier. The only time you use minutes is calls to landline phones between 7am and 7pm.

Phone: Samsung Moment. Does/has everything you listed and a lot more.

Is there a way to get the fabled EPRP plan without actually knowing a Sprint employee?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'm in some serious need of phone/plan help. I've read the FAQs and a couple of the threads, but am still not sure which plan/phone to go with. The Sprint EPRP thing looked nice until I saw and I'd have to go through the hassle of switching to a pay-as-you-go as I'm an existing Sprint customer.

• Country/Provider: State of Illinois, United States of America
  • Current contract status: Month-to-month with Sprint, I get a 20% discount due to my employer
  • Budget (phone/plan): Currently at $45/month for 350 minutes (or something, I barely use minutes), unlimited text (I text like a 12 year old girl), no data. I'd be willing to bump that to about $60/month or so for data, and I could lay out up to $300 for a phone, but obviously cheaper is better.
  • Features I know I want: If I can get a data plan for the price above, my desired features in order of importance would be 1) Maps/GPS/Directions, 2) good MP3 player/nice headphone jack (I don't use iTunes, if that matters), 3) battery life, 4) non-qwerty and/or very good predictive text. If I can't get the data plan, I guess drop #1 and the rest still stands.

Not having to sign a contract would be a nice bonus. Most of my friends have iPhones, but I'm not a huge fan and the contract is too much. I've also seen a Nokia Symbian OS phone, which seemed fun from the hacking/software standpoint, but I hated the qwerty keyboard. I generally don't like Blackberry's as well. Any information or directions to look in would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Solomon Grundy posted:

Is there a way to get the fabled EPRP plan without actually knowing a Sprint employee?

First post in the Sprint thread should have a link.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

http://mcguireslaw.com/2008/07/16/psst-have-you-heard-about-everything-plus/

Russ McGuire is the VP of Strategy at Sprint, so you've pretty much got the all clear to sign up for the plan.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Country/Provider: United States

Current contract status: Month-to-month SERO 500 (contract expired in October)

Budget (phone/plan): EPRP Family Plan 1600 Everything Data, no budget for phone

Features I know I want: Touch-screen, GPS, MP3 player (or streaming media - e.g. Pandora, Orb, etc.), preferably hardware keyboard, No Windows Mobile

I went from the Mogul to the Touch Pro and my biggest complaint with both phones: lag when calling or texting someone. I'd like a phone that won't take 15 seconds to bring up a dialer or new text message.

I know I'm going to be looking at either the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment or a Blackberry because I do enjoy most features of smart phones. I don't use my TP for media other than long drives, but it'd be nice to have a phone and MP3 player all in one (3.5mm jack would be awesome). Something that'd be cool, but isn't necessary, is a good camera. The camera on the TP is terrible.

Right now I'm content with my Touch Pro and don't necessarily want to upgrade, but 3/5 of my family members are fed up with their phones (Motorola Q's and KRZR). It doesn't make sense to have 4 people on the family plan ($30/mo for SERO vs. $15/mo for +1 line on EPRP) and I'll have to upgrade now (unless the discount that comes with signing a new contract can be used later in the contract).

If I have to get a new phone to qualify for the discount, should I look at getting the best phone I can for free (or for minimal money), port my number back to my old TP, sell the new phone and upgrade when the new HTC phones come out? It doesn't seem worth it to upgrade right now when you know what's just around the corner.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Ji

MrCodeDude posted:

Country/Provider: United States

Current contract status: Month-to-month SERO 500 (contract expired in October)

Budget (phone/plan): EPRP Family Plan 1600 Everything Data, no budget for phone

Features I know I want: Touch-screen, GPS, MP3 player (or streaming media - e.g. Pandora, Orb, etc.), preferably hardware keyboard, No Windows Mobile

I went from the Mogul to the Touch Pro and my biggest complaint with both phones: lag when calling or texting someone. I'd like a phone that won't take 15 seconds to bring up a dialer or new text message.

I know I'm going to be looking at either the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment or a Blackberry because I do enjoy most features of smart phones. I don't use my TP for media other than long drives, but it'd be nice to have a phone and MP3 player all in one (3.5mm jack would be awesome). Something that'd be cool, but isn't necessary, is a good camera. The camera on the TP is terrible.

Right now I'm content with my Touch Pro and don't necessarily want to upgrade, but 3/5 of my family members are fed up with their phones (Motorola Q's and KRZR). It doesn't make sense to have 4 people on the family plan ($30/mo for SERO vs. $15/mo for +1 line on EPRP) and I'll have to upgrade now (unless the discount that comes with signing a new contract can be used later in the contract).

If I have to get a new phone to qualify for the discount, should I look at getting the best phone I can for free (or for minimal money), port my number back to my old TP, sell the new phone and upgrade when the new HTC phones come out? It doesn't seem worth it to upgrade right now when you know what's just around the corner.

You definitely want the moment. If you want a hardware keyboard, the moment probably has one of the better ones. The tour is nice,but android is the way to go.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

Ji

You definitely want the moment. If you want a hardware keyboard, the moment probably has one of the better ones. The tour is nice,but android is the way to go.

Seconding this. The Moment is fast as all hell and Sprint said it's getting Android 2.1 in 2010, so you're not going to be stuck on 1.5. Although, if you're coming from WinMo, 1.5 is fast and a much more solid OS.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Epi Lepi posted:

Current contract status: On a family plan

Budget (phone/plan): $100

Features I know I want: Texting, lots of texting.

I'm pissed off at my current phone, LG CF360. I get pretty good service when I'm at school in Albany, NY, but back home on Long Island, I get the shittiest service imaginable. It is definitely a lot to do with the phone though, as my old phones were not nearly this bad. I'm getting texts days after people send them to me and people aren't even receiving half of mine. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 2011, so what can I do? My father is, can I just get an upgrade with him and stick my sim card in it or will that backfire somehow? I don't care about cameras, or music playback, all I use is texting, regular calls, and the calculator and calendar functions on my phones. I was considering getting this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290384729277&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT would that be a good idea? I just want to stick my sim card in it and go. I'm usually good about shopping around and researching but I just can't handle that with cell phones for some reason so any and all advice is appreciated.

Can someone please give me a suggestion here?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Can someone please give me a suggestion here?

Honestly, if you could convince the rest of the people on the plan to leave ATT, that's the best advice I could give. ATT's network is terrible in cities.

The q will have you tearing out your eyes in frustration.

You can use your fathers upgrade, as long as he's there with you when you upgrade.

UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

In the end, the world didn't need a Superman, just a selfish one.
Country/Provider: United States/Sprint

Current contract status: SERO 500 (at $30/month)

Budget (phone/plan): No budget on phone. Flexible on the plan.

Essentially the story is I am a medical student in NYC that needs to have internet access wherever he goes. I need it to run a few basic programs (Epocrates comes to mind, but thats available for every OS), and if it can switch around quickly between references that would be really helpful. I would love to buy an iPhone but I really don't want to pay $100/month unless its the best option. So essentially I'm looking for an iPhone alternative (preferably on Sprint, but I have some flexibility in the next couple of months). I'm currently using an HTC Titan/Mogul, so its not my first smartphone, but I'd like to move up to 3G.

Essentially:
1. Reliable internet access.
2. Runs multiple programs at once, quickly, and can switch on the fly.
3. Long battery life (I work 24+ hour shifts 1-2 times per week).
(Edit) 4. I text. A lot.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If you want to stick with your SERO plan, you're pretty much limited to WinMo phones (and Blackberries for $10 more per month, and you can't have anything newer than the 8530 - i.e. no Tour). The best WinMo phone with Sprint is the Touch Pro 2, but the Treo Pro is also a decent WinMo phone which costs way less.

If you want Android or WebOS you can upgrade to the EPRP plan ($60/month) and grab one of those. You'll also get GPS and the "premium" Sprint TV included, so it's not a bad deal. I'd get the Moment if you're going to go this route, but I can't really say anything about the Pre or Pixi since I haven't handled them.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Country/Provider: United States/Verizon

Current contract status: 2 year contract just came up as of yesterday.

Budget (phone/plan): No budget for phone. Planwise, I only need minimal minutes because I text alot. Unlimited data would be sweet too.

Features I know I want: Hardware keyboard, Good size screen for browsing and stuff. Would also like to gently caress around with apps and stuff like that. Not a big fan of the iphones though.

When I got notification that my contract was up and could renew with a discounted phone, I immediately went to see what I could get. I can get the android for $149 from Verizon, but they would require me to switch to a smartphone plan to use it. These nickel and dime plans would raise my monthly bill by more than two times. Yes, I know that getting a smartphone will raise my bill no matter what because of data and stuff, but Verizon's pricing just seems loving ridiculous to me.
I am completely willing to switch providers, and Sprint is looking pretty nice. I'm assuming that they will someday come out with a phone that will own Verizon's Android, and I'm willing to use something else until then (Altho I'm sure that Sprint has good phones already). I'm just tired of Verizon's prices really. And that they finally came out with a phone I want, but want to completely rape my wallet monthly for it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Roneth posted:

Budget (phone/plan): No budget for phone. Planwise, I only need minimal minutes because I text alot. Unlimited data would be sweet too.

Features I know I want: Hardware keyboard, Good size screen for browsing and stuff. Would also like to gently caress around with apps and stuff like that. Not a big fan of the iphones though.

When I got notification that my contract was up and could renew with a discounted phone, I immediately went to see what I could get. I can get the android for $149 from Verizon, but they would require me to switch to a smartphone plan to use it. These nickel and dime plans would raise my monthly bill by more than two times. Yes, I know that getting a smartphone will raise my bill no matter what because of data and stuff, but Verizon's pricing just seems loving ridiculous to me.
I am completely willing to switch providers, and Sprint is looking pretty nice. I'm assuming that they will someday come out with a phone that will own Verizon's Android, and I'm willing to use something else until then (Altho I'm sure that Sprint has good phones already). I'm just tired of Verizon's prices really. And that they finally came out with a phone I want, but want to completely rape my wallet monthly for it.

Sprint with the moment (180 on EPRP or 80 with the referral thread) is probably your best bet for an android phone w/hardware keyboard without getting raped by verizon.

If you can get an employer discount with sprint, the referral may be the way to go (70/month to start, where eprp is 60/month, but you can't get discounts). I pay 103 after taxes for a 2 line family plan from the referral thread (normally would be ~135). Sprint is awesome.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

El_Ergo posted:

I'm in some serious need of phone/plan help. I've read the FAQs and a couple of the threads, but am still not sure which plan/phone to go with. The Sprint EPRP thing looked nice until I saw and I'd have to go through the hassle of switching to a pay-as-you-go as I'm an existing Sprint customer.

Tedronai66 posted:

If you can get an employer discount with sprint, the referral may be the way to go (70/month to start, where eprp is 60/month, but you can't get discounts). I pay 103 after taxes for a 2 line family plan from the referral thread (normally would be ~135). Sprint is awesome.

For the record, this is how I wound up going, getting a Samsung Moment with the end-of-contract bonuses and the employer discount on the 70$/month plan. Whole process was painless, but I'm waiting to get my first bill to confirm that nothing was messed up.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

El_Ergo posted:

For the record, this is how I wound up going, getting a Samsung Moment with the end-of-contract bonuses and the employer discount on the 70$/month plan. Whole process was painless, but I'm waiting to get my first bill to confirm that nothing was messed up.

end of contract bonuses?

You'll like the Moment. I have a hero, and I think my next phone will have a hardware keyboard.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Tedronai66 posted:

end of contract bonuses?

I was on month-to-month so they gave a resigning discount on the phone.

And yeah, the hardware keyboard is much nicer than I thought it'd be, I'm getting used to it quickly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Roneth posted:

*Disclaimer I sell Sprint

I agree that either Sprint or TMobile is the way to go. Both have much lower plans because A. they dropped the retarded $20 a month for unlimited texting and B. they vastly lowered their data plans. I actually carry TMo and Sprint still (HTC G1 and BBerry Tour), since I have a sprint employee plan i pay next to nothing.

If you don't want to sign a contract, go with TMo they are the only provider who has this option. You can get an Android phone for $500 (or split onto the billing at $20 a month) with $79.99 for unlimited everything, no discounts.

Sprint with contract you can get the Moment or Hero at $179 (after $100 mail in rebate) with the Everything Data plan of $69.99. Plan includes unlimited calling to any cell phone (verizon, att, sprint whatever), unlimited text, unlimited data, navigation, etc. 450 mins for calling landlines, nights/weekends at 7pm. You CAN get a discount on this plan, which is what makes it that much cooler.

Coverage for TMo and Sprint are of course not as good as Verizon Coverage. It isn't bad, i don't have many if any problems traveling (both roam at no extra charge) but i would check your coverage.

Any questions just let me know.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Country/Provider: USA - Northeast Virginia / anyone

Current contract status: out of contract month to month bottom tier voice & texting AT&T

Budget (phone/plan): $60/month

Features I know I want: broadband access for a netbook & bottom-tier voice and texting.

What happened to the $30 unlimited data broadband plans of a year ago? It looks like the Big 4 in the US all run a $60/month 5gb max plan. Cricket says it'll do it better and cheaper everywhere in the US besides Virginia. :saddowns: $60 a month is twice what I pay for phone service. It looks like Alltel was running an unlimited package but in my area Verizon has eaten them.

Are there any other options? I don't need a new phone per se but if it's necessary for a tethering solution, then sure I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Northeast Virginia / anyone

Current contract status: out of contract month to month bottom tier voice & texting AT&T

Budget (phone/plan): $60/month

Features I know I want: broadband access for a netbook & bottom-tier voice and texting.

What happened to the $30 unlimited data broadband plans of a year ago? It looks like the Big 4 in the US all run a $60/month 5gb max plan. Cricket says it'll do it better and cheaper everywhere in the US besides Virginia. :saddowns: $60 a month is twice what I pay for phone service. It looks like Alltel was running an unlimited package but in my area Verizon has eaten them.

Are there any other options? I don't need a new phone per se but if it's necessary for a tethering solution, then sure I guess.

There is no cheap broadband plan. Cricket's Broadband card seriously sucks in that Cricket coverage sucks, it wont roam either, so that's why it is $40 a month.

The big 4 are ALL $59.99, 5GB cap, 2 year contract. No way around it. This is the one time Verizon has the best price, deal and coverage.

Now for tethering you can get certain smartphones and tether them. Phone companies tech charge $15-30 a month on top of data plans, but for certain phones you can sneak around it. Depends on coverage in your area, TMobile is the easiest to do this on but i doubt they have 3G in your area.

I pay bout $65 a month for my TMobile, unlimitedf data, texting, 1000 mins and I have tethering on my Android G1 (Tmobile doesn't know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Will Verizon or Sprint let me rock a Mifi and a USB broadband dongle on the same account for that $60?

I wish the GSM Mifi would come out already so I could just swap a SIM back and forth.