Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Matty D posted:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/9a7f42b88ee1e14b/index.html

And my stereo is like an 8 year old 3 cd changer JVC :smith:

edit: I meant there was a phono/line switch. My bad.

Yeah.. great! :)

Their Specs posted:

Output Level
Pre-amp “PHONO”: 2.5 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Pre-amp “LINE”: 150 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Phono Pre-Amp Gain 36 dB nominal, RIAA equalized

So all you need to do is set the switch to LINE and you are set to output without using a PHONO Pre-Amp.

Now you just need a mixer of some sort to combine the signals, no worries on the other half.

You could just spring for something like this: -this- but you'd probably need adaptors like these: -this- so that you could use cheap rca-rca cables.

Either way its just a function of a mixer now, or a audio switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

andy17null posted:

I'm using a pair of JPL Control 1 Pro's.

If you're trying to put together a professional setup, any old single rack-unit amp will work. My standard recommendation is the Crown D-45, but it would we wayyy overkill for Control 1's.

It's not hard to find those speakers used for under $40 a pair and they really aren't big performers. Factoring in the cost of an amp might make just putting them aside and buying a set of cheap active speakers a more attractive idea.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Matty D posted:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/9a7f42b88ee1e14b/index.html

And my stereo is like an 8 year old 3 cd changer JVC :smith:

edit: I meant there was a phono/line switch. My bad.

From the website you linked:
With its built-in switchable phono preamp, the AT-LP60 may be connected directly to your computer, home stereo and to other components that have no dedicated turntable input.

So in order to hook it up to a line-level input you need to switch on the phono preamp, otherwise it will be really really quiet

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Thanks guys!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

andy17null posted:

I'm using a pair of JPL Control 1 Pro's.

buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BGW-Model-85-St...c2#ht_500wt_924

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Phrog posted:

Can anybody tell me what the scientific name and highly-specialized function of this piece of particle board that came out of my speaker is?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

When my speakers, subwoofer, and receiver were delivered and I took one of my towers out of its box (Polk monitor 50) and heard something moving around inside of it. I put my hand through the hole towards the bottom of the speaker and pull this sensitive piece of equipment (read: wood with adhesive glue on it) out. Voila! Speaker works just fine!

Fast forward a whole week and I notice that the speaker is producing a rattle.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It turns out that the top woofer is barely moving, and whenever it does it just rattles and produces no sound. When music is playing the others are all vibrating and doing their thing but this woofer does jack poo poo. When I lightly press against it with two fingers I hear a scratching sound like it is rubbing against something, whereas the other woofers just slide in and out naturally.

Yeah, I know I didn't buy awesome totally rad bitchin-to-the-max speakers but is Polk really this lovely? Is this something I could theoretically repair (though I don't know how I would seeing how there is no visible way to take the case apart) or do I have to pay to have this thing delivered to Polk so they can repair it for me thanks to their warranty (and risk it getting hosed up in transit).

Well, the awesome sound honeymoon lasted an entire week. It was great while it lasted. :sigh:

The wood is probably just a brace glued in to the corner. It's conceivable that the structure is compromised, but if the corners seem solid I wouldn't worry too much.

You should be able to remove the drivers with the four screws around each. Take the bottom(working) one out, it should just be spade plugs so the wires come off easily. Listen to just the top driver and stick your hand in to check the wiring on the top, If it doesn't seem to wrok, pull the top one out, and put the good one back in the top to make sure the problem is the driver itself. If it sounds good plugged in to the top, you can send just the bad driver back to Polk for replacement, and save a LOT on shipping.

You should be able to look/feel in the top of the speaker while the drivers are out to see if that's where the wood is from, and glue it back if you like.

I blew a tweeter on one of my Polk's some 4 years after I bought them, and they replaced just the tweeter no questions asked.

TL;DR: Polk warranty is awesome, isolate the problem to save on shipping.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 7, 2010

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
I have a reciever that has RCA speaker output, my current speaker use just bare wire. What are the downsides to soldering RCA plugs onto speaker wire? Or could I cut off an end of an RCA wire? I could just buy an adapter, but I have a strange compulsion to make it as clean as possible. Is it true that speaker wire has a higher output? :/ Also, how important are banana plugs?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What receiver is it? I would suspect that the RCAs you're looking at are pre-amp outputs if it's a model sold in the last few decades.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
It's a really old Montgomery reciever -

Click here for the full 1824x1216 image.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, that probably falls outside of my "last few decades" qualifier. The only real drawback to RCA connectors, especially at the low power that thing can probably output, will be solderable surface area. You'll just be limited in the size of speaker wire you can use, but that probably wont be a huge issue either.

As for the banana plugs, they really offer two tangible benefits: they make repeat connections easier, and depending on the plugs you buy, they can help mate a lower gauge speaker cable to small speaker binding posts.

I don't think either of those would be huge benefits in your setup, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're already making a monoprice order when they have their sets for $1/pair.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Appreciate your help :)
So I guess I'll just be buying two of these guys? http://www.smcelectronics.com/AV32.JPG

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I'll start off by apologizing, as I'm sure this question must have been asked before.
I just got a HDTV (Samsung LN46B650) and I've been watching a lot of blu-rays on my PS3 lately, and now I'd really like to get a good surround sound setup to compliment it. However, I'm finding myself a bit lost when it comes to receivers and speakers and whatnot. From what I've gathered, I need a receiver to power the speakers and decode the 5.1/7.1, and then I need speakers, I don't need anything else right? Ideally I'd like to spend around $200-500 but I'm lost as to what brand/setup to pick. Also it seems like so many of the bundles include BD/DVD players, which I don't need.

also: is there a better site to buy from than Amazon?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I need recommendations for an affordable set of two speakers and subwoofer that either has really good shielding on the cables, or uses modular cabling so I can add really good shielding.

My computer speakers pick up a Mexican radio station that we apparently live near, and it's driving me crazy. The cables are also frayed or something, as they decided to go in and out intermittently. They're some lovely 50 dollar Logitechs so this doesn't surprise me. As per advice from another thread, I ran all the cables through ferrite chokes, but this has done nothing, and when it's snowing it's louder than ever!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I would opt for a set of passive speakers and an old stereo receiver/small amp/t-amp. Put the amp as close to your computer as possible to minimize the distance the low-level unbalanced signal has to travel. Once amplified to a speaker level, the signal will be MUCH less susceptible to interference.

Thats the same solution I'd offer to someone fighting cell phone data noise.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Deceptor101 posted:

I'll start off by apologizing, as I'm sure this question must have been asked before.
I just got a HDTV (Samsung LN46B650) and I've been watching a lot of blu-rays on my PS3 lately, and now I'd really like to get a good surround sound setup to compliment it. However, I'm finding myself a bit lost when it comes to receivers and speakers and whatnot. From what I've gathered, I need a receiver to power the speakers and decode the 5.1/7.1, and then I need speakers, I don't need anything else right? Ideally I'd like to spend around $200-500 but I'm lost as to what brand/setup to pick. Also it seems like so many of the bundles include BD/DVD players, which I don't need.

also: is there a better site to buy from than Amazon?

Your best bet in your price range might be to start with one of the "Home Theater in a Box" sets, and then upgrading piecemeal later if you so choose. The thing to watch out for are receivers that advertise HDMI pass-thru, as you don't want these.

HDMI cables carry uncompressed audio and hi-def video from your blu-ray player. What you want is a receiver that takes the audio signal from the HDMI source and processes it / plays it back, then sends on only the video to your TV. That way you get all the audio benefits that blu-ray has over regular DVD audio. But a receiver with pass-thru will require a separate optical connection for audio, and these older cables can only carry DVD-quality sound. You'll only get half the blu-ray upgrade this way.

A good starter receiver like the Onkyo 607 series (no speakers, just receiver) typically runs about $300.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

NOW I get what the issue is with pass-through. I was confused about that. Well, the Sony receiver I got has the option of pass-through if for some dumb reason you want your TV's boxy, muffled speaker sound in addition to your stereo or surround setup... But it definitely decodes most audio formats from HDMI (though it's also happy to play LPCM if that's what it's fed, and that's what I've got my PS3 set to feed it). I do wish that it would convert component video input to HDMI through its HDMI out just to get rid of the extra connector for the damned Wii, but that seems to be a feature that you pay more money for.

Cnet didn't like my receiver very much, but their critiques seem mostly based on comparisons to higher end receivers in the $400+ range. Also I want to say that I have no clue what they're talking about when they say that it has a squashed sound, but then again I'm using two speakers with it, not 5 or 7 and I imagine the fronts get special treatment (they even look like they get special treatment, as the only ones with binding posts instead of alligator clips). But I read that bit and was like "no this could knock my windows out" until I realized the context of the comparison.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

fahrvergnugen posted:

Your best bet in your price range might be to start with one of the "Home Theater in a Box" sets, and then upgrading piecemeal later if you so choose. The thing to watch out for are receivers that advertise HDMI pass-thru, as you don't want these.

HDMI cables carry uncompressed audio and hi-def video from your blu-ray player. What you want is a receiver that takes the audio signal from the HDMI source and processes it / plays it back, then sends on only the video to your TV. That way you get all the audio benefits that blu-ray has over regular DVD audio. But a receiver with pass-thru will require a separate optical connection for audio, and these older cables can only carry DVD-quality sound. You'll only get half the blu-ray upgrade this way.

A good starter receiver like the Onkyo 607 series (no speakers, just receiver) typically runs about $300.

So if I get something like this do I still need a receiver? It's advertised as a home theatre in a box, seems to have good reviews, I like the setup and It's obviously meant for HD-input. I'm not a huge audiophile, and it seems like if I wanted to get a receiver and speakers I'd end up spending more and have to make a more complex decision.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Deceptor101 posted:

I'm not a huge audiophile, and it seems like if I wanted to get a receiver and speakers I'd end up spending more and have to make a more complex decision.

Well, yeah, going with discrete components does mean you have to think more about it but it also usually means that you get a better value and an end result that better fits your needs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I accidentally bought an HDTV that has no analog out, it just has the digital toslink output. This is a problem, as I had planned on just using my old PC speakers with the TV.

What is the cheapest solution for decent sound for my situation? The cheapest adapter on Amazon is like $60, which is more than my PC speakers cost (X-230s). Are there cheap, decent speakers out there that take digital input natively? Should I buy some sort of receiver?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Deceptor101 posted:

So if I get something like this do I still need a receiver? It's advertised as a home theatre in a box, seems to have good reviews, I like the setup and It's obviously meant for HD-input. I'm not a huge audiophile, and it seems like if I wanted to get a receiver and speakers I'd end up spending more and have to make a more complex decision.

Looks like that particular set just has an HDMI out, and not an in. It doesn't really have any future, if the BD player conks out the whole thing is worthless.

Check out some of Sony's HTIB setups, they might suit your needs at your price point.

(I think a more reasonable budget to do this right is about $800, spend $300 on a receiver and $500 on a pre-packed 5.1 speaker set from Klipsch or someone similar.)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

fahrvergnugen posted:

Looks like that particular set just has an HDMI out, and not an in. It doesn't really have any future, if the BD player conks out the whole thing is worthless.

Check out some of Sony's HTIB setups, they might suit your needs at your price point.

(I think a more reasonable budget to do this right is about $800, spend $300 on a receiver and $500 on a pre-packed 5.1 speaker set from Klipsch or someone similar.)

Yeah after looking into it more and reading up on it more, I'm not going to go with that. I've been looking at this after reading a bunch, and as far as I can tell, it's pretty good. The receiver is actually a good standalone (Onkyo HT-RC160) packaged to what seems to be reviewed as a pretty good set of speakers, with the only downside (according to CNET) the aesthetics of the speakers and the video up-converting, which I wouldn't really use.
I think I'll jump on it at the end of today, so if there's a reason not to, please let me know :)

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

Deceptor101 posted:

I think I'll jump on it at the end of today, so if there's a reason not to, please let me know :)

I'd just like to point out that of the HTIB systems that Consumer Reports tested and rated, the Panasonic SC-BT300 got the worst score (a 40) while the Sony BDV-E300 which happens to be at the same price point got the highest score (a 70).

I've come to trust Consumer Reports a great deal, so I'd like to second fahrvergnugen's Sony recommendation.

Edit: Oh, somehow I mixed up the Onkyo link with the Panasonic. It's my opinion that Onkyo makes good stuff (Consumer Reports thinks so, too), and that looks like a good system. The Onkyo system doesn't come with a Blu-ray player, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's far more versatile and upgradable than a true "Home Theater in a Box".

Edit2: You'll save a few bucks if you buy it from NewEgg.com instead.

Princess fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 10, 2010

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Princess posted:

I'd just like to point out that of the HTIB systems that Consumer Reports tested and rated, the Panasonic SC-BT300 got the worst score (a 40) while the Sony BDV-E300 which happens to be at the same price point got the highest score (a 70).

I've come to trust Consumer Reports a great deal, so I'd like to second fahrvergnugen's Sony recommendation.

Edit: Oh, somehow I mixed up the Onkyo link with the Panasonic. It's my opinion that Onkyo makes good stuff (Consumer Reports thinks so, too), and that looks like a good system. The Onkyo system doesn't come with a Blu-ray player, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's far more versatile and upgradable than a true "Home Theater in a Box".

Edit2: You'll save a few bucks if you buy it from NewEgg.com instead.

Yeah, since I've got the ps3, I'm not caring about the blu-ray player, and it seems like a far better setup, especially if I wanted to upgrade the speakers. Also if I'm not mistaken, the HT-RC160 is a 7.2, which means I could get a second sub and balance it out more at a later point right?
Oh and I love and adore Newegg and love to buy from them, but I'm in CA so I'd be paying over $60 tax :(.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Do you have a Costco membership? They're selling the Onkyo HT-RC160 for $299 now (in-store only, YMMV for availability).

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 10, 2010

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

eddiewalker posted:

I would opt for a set of passive speakers and an old stereo receiver/small amp/t-amp. Put the amp as close to your computer as possible to minimize the distance the low-level unbalanced signal has to travel. Once amplified to a speaker level, the signal will be MUCH less susceptible to interference.

Thats the same solution I'd offer to someone fighting cell phone data noise.

What is a passive speaker, and where would I begin looking? I now definitely need new speakers as the cables decided to short on these and I can't get any sound out of them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Plain speakers. No built in amp, no power switch, no volume knob. Speakers that you hook to an amplifier or receiver.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

I've moved across country, and have decided that my apartment and my :effort: level is only upto 2.0 audio now.

I currently have my KEF iq3 speakers bi-amped to my Onkyo SR606 7.1 receiver. I feel like there is something missing with just 2.0 audio (no sub, duh!) But, I've had a 2.0 system (Wharfedale Atlantic 200 bookshelfs) with an old Pioneer receiver with the loudness switch flipped on. That was the stuff.

So I'm trying to get that good old 2.0 sound back, but it just seems lacking. I guess my rambling question is, is it the receiver? I'm ready to splash out for a nice stereo receiver. Remote control and one optical input is about all my requirements. Lots of power is all I ask.

If not, is there anything I can do with my current receiver? I've tried the manual EQ settings, trying to create a Loudness curve, etc, etc. It just doesn't seem to have that punch the old Pioneer did. I can't see the woofers moving :3:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone heard Definitive Technology speakers? I'm looking at the ProMonitor 800s or 1000s. My old blue minipods have served me well but I want to go surround again.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

eddiewalker posted:

Plain speakers. No built in amp, no power switch, no volume knob. Speakers that you hook to an amplifier or receiver.

Ok, so is there a place you'd recommend to start looking? I know literally nothing about audio, and don't want to get ripped off. Quality is not a huge thing for me. My 50 dollar logitechs sounded mediocre-but-tolerable, so I'd imagine with discrete components I can only possibly get better sound. I'd like to keep it beneath $100 if possible, but can go a little more if necessary.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

mobn posted:

Ok, so is there a place you'd recommend to start looking? I know literally nothing about audio, and don't want to get ripped off. Quality is not a huge thing for me. My 50 dollar logitechs sounded mediocre-but-tolerable, so I'd imagine with discrete components I can only possibly get better sound. I'd like to keep it beneath $100 if possible, but can go a little more if necessary.

Just get a regular pair of bookshelf speakers... these are quite good I believe, especially for that price. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Two-Way-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B000MGNDHE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263224473&sr=1-6

Is the $100 budget just for the speakers? Have you got an amp?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

Just get a regular pair of bookshelf speakers... these are quite good I believe, especially for that price. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Two-Way-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B000MGNDHE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263224473&sr=1-6

Is the $100 budget just for the speakers? Have you got an amp?

Like I said, I have nothing. I was using crappy logitechs from best buy, and they A) Died, B)picked up mysterious mexican voices from a nearby radio tower. I'll need an amp too.

Basically, I'm just asking you to recommend me a "complete" sound setup for a PC that won't pick up so much drat interference from AM and sound okay. I'd like it if I could get a subwoofer in the mix too, unless bookshelf speakers are good at doing low-end on their own.

Please make all your advice assuming I'm clinically brain dead, because when it comes to audio I might as well be.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

mobn posted:

Like I said, I have nothing. I was using crappy logitechs from best buy, and they A) Died, B)picked up mysterious mexican voices from a nearby radio tower. I'll need an amp too.

Basically, I'm just asking you to recommend me a "complete" sound setup for a PC that won't pick up so much drat interference from AM and sound okay. I'd like it if I could get a subwoofer in the mix too, unless bookshelf speakers are good at doing low-end on their own.

Please make all your advice assuming I'm clinically brain dead, because when it comes to audio I might as well be.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fahrvergnugen posted:

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set.

This looks really convenient, and in the right price range, but it doesn't mention shielding at all on the product page. How well will it deal with AM interference? I literally live within 200 yards of the tower and with my current set the mexicans will butt their heads in as long as the speakers are powered on, with every single drat cord on the system run through ferrite chokes.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

mobn posted:

This looks really convenient, and in the right price range, but it doesn't mention shielding at all on the product page. How well will it deal with AM interference? I literally live within 200 yards of the tower and with my current set the mexicans will butt their heads in as long as the speakers are powered on, with every single drat cord on the system run through ferrite chokes.

Dunno, I live near cell towers and never get any interference but that's not the same as AM interference. They're shielded enough to drop next to CRTs, that's about all I can tell you.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

mobn posted:

The I'm not sure the cables have that much to do with it. At some point before the amplification stage, the signal is getting introduced into the path, otherwise it'd be inaudible. Now, Klipsch Promedia speakers are wastes of money in my opinion, having owned a 5.1 set of Klipsch Promedia Ultras back in the dark times before I discovered actual quality audio, but they're less awful than the alternative sets from Logitech and Creative so that's something I guess. The amplifier on them has something like a 10% THD, really ludicrous by quality standards, but if you're not using them for critical listening you might nonetheless be pleased with their performance, especially as a step up from your current junk. They shouldn't be as susceptible to interference before the amplifier stage, where it counts.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Which just goes to show, everyone's got a different opinion. I stream Cafe Cody all day long on my 2.1's every day while I work, and I love 'em to death.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

They're the best of the bunch when it comes to multimedia speakers, and truth be told the Promedia 2.1s are superior to the Promedia Ultra 5.1s. The 2.1s have a closer relationship design-wise to Klipsch's miniature HT speakers, and as such they have a more linear and natural frequency response. They are not poo poo speakers, they're just not comparable in linearity or fidelity to a more robust stereo setup; but then again I guess they don't have to be. "Waste of money" was probably a bit harsh.

Edit: I more or less agree with everything that this reviewer says about them, back in 2001 when they were introduced (he certainly called the "soon THX certification won't mean much because everything will be THX certified anyway," didn't he?) Full review here

Richard George posted:

Positive Impressions

For some people, 35 watts for satellites and 130 watts for a subwoofer may seem inadequate. However, unlike highly overrated power specifications for some computer speaker systems, Klipsch has provided power output ratings that seem reasonable. The specifications claim 106dB maximum sound output. Over 102dB was measured with system volume well below maximum; this claim seems accurate. The ProMedia 2.1 can play sounds from a soft whisper to high volume from the same track without having to adjust the volume control. This ability to play sounds over a wide dynamic range is provided by the internal amplifier, which delivers more than adequate power.

The Klipsch system bass is deep, flexible, and powerful. The ProMedia avoids the most common pitfall of many subwoofer designs: this system plays back a wide range of very-low, low, and mid-bass frequencies covering the spectrum from under 35Hz up to its advertized 20kHz. Mid-range frequencies, which include sounds within the normal range of the human voice, are clean and clear. Male voices did not have the "chestiness" so common with inexpensive stereos; female voices didn't sound nasal (except for singers who were nasal). There is no apparent muddiness or tinny sound from the satellites. High frequencies are also clean, clear, and easily heard. Music played through the Klipsch ProMedia system has a more musical sound and a livelier "feel" than music played through any multimedia sound systems I have yet auditioned. The ProMedia sound output is good enough that the quality of computer sound card and musical source (MP3, CD), affects the quality of output. This usually cannot be said of sound systems designed for computers.

Sound effects from games and movies are very impressive. The user who wishes for movie or game explosions that will "rock his world" will be hard pressed to find a better, amplified three-speaker system for the money. In small rooms, it is easy for the ProMedia to overpower the listener if the volume is set too high. Three-dimensional sound effects are also very impressive. On the computer test, the ProMedia 2.1 was matched with a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card to test 3D effects. This combination delivered unexpected depth to the soundstage. Not only was stereo separation between the two satellites sufficient to allow sounds to be easily located in space left to right, but there was sufficient depth to the apparent soundstage that sounds could be located in the three-dimensional space between the wall and the listener. This effect was not very noticeable with music, but was quite effective for sound effects. The 3D effect was quite impressive for a three-speaker system; it just didn't translate to music well.

Negative Impressions

The satellite speakers sometimes sound a little bit closed in, as though they are playing in a box. This becomes most noticeable when playing orchestrated music, but can also be audible during vocal and acoustic music. The effect is present, though not overly pronounced. Musical detail is adequate, but it is lacking definition compared to a high quality sound system.

In addition, it seems as though the 7cm mid-bass drivers are not carrying enough of the mid-bass; the sub-woofer seems to handle frequencies higher than it should. The result of this is that some directional information in mid-bass seems to be lost to a single driver. In addition, there occasionally is an audible changeover in sound source location between the satellite speakers and the subwoofer.

However, in all fairness these criticisms can only be directed at the ProMedia 2.1 when comparing it to a high quality stereo sound system, a comparison that is unreasonable considering the cost of components. At the price of the ProMedia, no system can be perfect. Again, the system cost must be taken into account. Most stereo speaker pairs in the same price range as this entire amplified system do not sound as detailed, natural, or accurate as the ProMedia 2.1. In this case, a negative aspect must be seen as a positive, simply because of the price. Compared to most multimedia or inexpensive sound systems, the ProMedia 2.1 is remarkable in the quality of its music reproduction and the nearly seamless integration of the satellite speakers and the subwoofer.

Conclusions

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 has been designed by a respected audio engineering company, with assistance and certification from Lucasfilm, to provide high quality sound to multimedia enthusiasts, an entire market segment that has been all but ignored until recently. This system delivers exceptional sound quality and excellent sound effects performance that far exceed typical speaker systems included with computers. This is not a high end system, but it demonstrates how good an inexpensive system can be, if the manufacturer spends more money on research and development than on advertizing. In fact, the ProMedia has blurred the line between low end and mid fi - which is it? That depends on whether you judge the system by its price or its sound.

Basically, they're quite good for what they are, and probably what the guy you recommended them to needs, but they don't really compare to a real stereo setup.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 11, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agreed posted:

They're the best of the bunch when it comes to multimedia speakers, and truth be told the Promedia 2.1s are superior to the Promedia Ultra 5.1s.

This was true 6 years ago when they came out but between the dropping prices of studio monitors and the emergence of companies like Swan and AudioEngine it's not really the case any more.

Lots of good discussion in this thread

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

qirex posted:

This was true 6 years ago when they came out but between the dropping prices of studio monitors and the emergence of companies like Swan and AudioEngine it's not rally the case any more.

Lots of good discussion in this thread

Yeah, as you can probably tell my state of knowledge on multimedia speakers is stuck around 2003 when I stopped using them and started buying serious gear. Swan's stuff is great if you're willing to spend some more money, their "desk" setups offer really superb audio for a fair price, but way outside this gent's proposed ~$100ish budget. You're more up to date on what's available in multimedia, want to offer him a recommendation that fits his needs?

Remember to factor in cabling costs if you're going to suggest a pair of studio monitors (though I would worry a great deal about the sound quality of any $100 per pair studio monitors, personally, they'd be glorified traditional cheap multimedia speakers capitalizing on the perception of "monitor" speakers being better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Agreed posted:

They're the best of the bunch when it comes to multimedia speakers, and truth be told the Promedia 2.1s are superior to the Promedia Ultra 5.1s. The 2.1s have a closer relationship design-wise to Klipsch's miniature HT speakers, and as such they have a more linear and natural frequency response. They are not poo poo speakers, they're just not comparable in linearity or fidelity to a more robust stereo setup; but then again I guess they don't have to be. "Waste of money" was probably a bit harsh.

Edit: I more or less agree with everything that this reviewer says about them, back in 2001 when they were introduced (he certainly called the "soon THX certification won't mean much because everything will be THX certified anyway," didn't he?) Full review here

Basically, they're quite good for what they are, and probably what the guy you recommended them to needs, but they don't really compare to a real stereo setup.

These sound like they'll fit the bill. I have pretty good hearing, but when it comes to music I just don't hear a big difference between a 256 mp3 and a quality vinyl record, so they don't need to be crazy good. They just need to be decent speakers that won't have ghostly mexicans in them.

It looks like they sell them at Best Buy, so I can buy them and return them if they pick up the radio station. Thanks for the advice guys!