Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Oh and I got stiffed on the parking and had to pay $32 for leaving my car parked for 80 mins.

I'll stick to smaller clubs in the future, that was not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Big shows are hit or miss. I usually have more good luck than bad luck though. Tool has been the biggest bane of my photography bitching, but aside from them I haven't had any big complaints. I've actually had more problems shooting smaller shows where barricades are either non-existent or full of gear from the other bands.

Oh and a BIG tip for parking for big shows. ALWAYS bring a business card and ask if they have media parking. Most of the time they do and if they don't, they often get confused and just let you park for free, providing it's the venue's parking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

And that is why I largely gave up on big name concert photography. This isn't a career for me, so I'd rather have a ton of fun shooting small bands, all else being equal.
Precisely. Running from one stage to another with no time to actually enjoy the music at festivals is the worst poo poo ever.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Precisely. Running from one stage to another with no time to actually enjoy the music at festivals is the worst poo poo ever.

I'm probably doing a festival later this month, but it's all reggae and it's all on one stage so I'm pretty happy :)

I've also just gotten notice I'm first in line for Porcupine Tree, The Beach Boys and The Pixies. I read the email with my mouth literally around my knees. So loving stoked right now.

e: I also may have just gotten first run at Phoenix. It's time to buy a 5D!

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 5, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

I'm probably doing a festival later this month, but it's all reggae and it's all on one stage so I'm pretty happy :)
Yeah those are really fun since you can hang back with a beer and a telephoto all day.
I'm seeing phoenix in a couple of months (just for fun, but I'll take a basic kit along), pretty excited.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psylent posted:

I present to you, the shittiest concert photography experience I've ever had: Moby at the Sydney Opera House.

With you there. Never gonna shoot anything there again.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

With you there. Never gonna shoot anything there again.
Wait, you were actually there? Or at the Opera House on another night?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

And that is why I largely gave up on big name concert photography. This isn't a career for me, so I'd rather have a ton of fun shooting small bands, all else being equal.

completely agreed. I wish all pro photographers could have the power to say FU to band's PR and tell them if they don't give them favorable treatment and a decent vantage point then they could take their publicity and shove it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

completely agreed. I wish all pro photographers could have the power to say FU to band's PR and tell them if they don't give them favorable treatment and a decent vantage point then they could take their publicity and shove it.

The thing is that most photographers at a major concert are barely getting paid anything if at all. They're there shooting for a local free rag, a music blog or they pulled a horseshoe out of their rear end or knew someone and are just shooting to expand their portfolio and for dick-waving contests.

What's odd in a roundabout way is that you'll probably make more money shooting indie bands than you ever will shooting big names since indie bands will actually pay for concert shoots and promos.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think I will ever do concert photography professionally (well not as a main gig). I'm a metal head first and a photographer second. Up to this point I've only shot bands that I've cared about or played at the show I was attending. I'm really just out there to capture the experience.

That's not to say I'm out there doing free work for every band, I show them the photos and keep the rights. I wouldn't turn down money if a band offered it for my photos. However, I'm happy just to be there shooting, money or not.

If I were to try to make money I'd rather make it on promo shots, which I hope to do in the near future. I think it might work well because the thing about underground metal (I'm sure you can call it/apply it to indie music too if you want) is that it's all made from contacts in small close nit communities. If you want to get a band together you seek out someone who is already a part of that community. Need to get your demo mixed? Go to the guy in X local band that mixed SoandSo's demo before they got signed to Relapse. Need a drawing of a goat raping a nun for the album cover? Talk to the guy who did artwork for 5 other bands that inspired your music. I can't speak for all indie music, but if metal heads are given the choice, they'll go for someone who is already part of their community. I'd like to be one of those guys for photography.

But anyway, those are just my thoughts on the whole thing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psylent posted:

Wait, you were actually there? Or at the Opera House on another night?

I did the Ben Folds show there earlier in the year. loving. Shite.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
My friend's band Big Remote (http://www.myspace.com/bigremotereno) is in the studio. They are recording on Thursday, and they might be asking me to come take some shots so that they can have something to immortalize their first recording.

However, they're not very flashy or active. I've seen a few of their live shows, and they have little exhibitionism, and I'm afraid pictures of them would look plain and boring.

How should I go about getting pictures of them that are interesting in the studio? I have no idea what to tell them or ask of them.
I was thinking of just being in there as they tune up and jam, since I don't think they want the sound of the flash/shutter in the actual recording... so I might as well be able to pose them.

I don't have much equipment either, I have a Canon 40D with a 17-85mm, a 580EXII flash and that's about it. I might run down to the local photo shop and see if they have a 50mm (which I want anyways), but I don't have much more of a budget for this, specially since I'm doing it for free for them, as a trade-for-prints kinda deal.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
If you can pick up a cheap 50mm prime that would be useful, but otherwise I can't see that as a major gear shortage. Try taking pictures from weird angles, anything to make them interesting.

Also, try and get some shots of them not neccesarily performing. Just laughing and joking around in the studio, shooting the poo poo, would make a great record of the session, and also they may have use as promo shots or something.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

jackpot posted:

This is from waaay back, but you don't allow PMs so I've gotta ask here: who did you contact to get the photo pass, the band or a local paper or something? I don't get to see FM all that often but the next time I do I'm gonna do everything I can to get a pass; I got these the last time they came to town, but I was dodging security the whole show and I'd kill to be able to roam freely next time.

vv That's great advice, thanks!

sorry I didn't see this sooner.

But I just emailed the promoter. Gave them a link to the blog I shoot for, and that was about it.

Also just got word I've got a pass to shoot the Monotonix gig here next friday.
And from what I've seen.. I should be able to get some great shots.

For those that don't know the band here's a video of what I can expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEHu-QAgNE

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Four Banger posted:

sorry I didn't see this sooner.

But I just emailed the promoter. Gave them a link to the blog I shoot for, and that was about it.

Also just got word I've got a pass to shoot the Monotonix gig here next friday.
And from what I've seen.. I should be able to get some great shots.

For those that don't know the band here's a video of what I can expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEHu-QAgNE

You'll get great photos of Monotonix, but you have to be willing to get into the fray and your camera will almost certainly get knocked around so good luck.

For some reason my Monotonix photos from a few years back aren't up on flickr, better go take a look for those when I get home.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Sydney last night but couldn't get a media pass. If you ever get a chance to photograph them make sure you do, amazing lighting, awesome costumes and Karen O really knows how to strike a pose.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

Saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Sydney last night but couldn't get a media pass. If you ever get a chance to photograph them make sure you do, amazing lighting, awesome costumes and Karen O really knows how to strike a pose.

Yeah, they're pretty good photowise, I shot them 4 years ago or so at a radio show. I remember he making a lot of crazy faces.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

MMD3 posted:

You'll get great photos of Monotonix, but you have to be willing to get into the fray and your camera will almost certainly get knocked around so good luck.

For some reason my Monotonix photos from a few years back aren't up on flickr, better go take a look for those when I get home.

That's what I was expecting. Hopefully the venues layout will help me though.

I just got a Nikon SB600, so this will also be my first time shooting with a flash. What would the best thing for me to do? I've never shoot a concert with a flash before.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
By promoters, do you mean the actual promoter, or band manager? Also, are press passes handed out to any old music blog?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

By promoters, do you mean the actual promoter, or band manager? Also, are press passes handed out to any old music blog?

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a press pass. You just have to be contact the right person. Typically you want to be contacting their publicist which will either be someone at their record label or a third party PR company. The problem is that is usually the hardest part.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
what he said^^

I, Butthole posted:

and they must. We aren't even THAT serious of a blog. Just a bunch of buddies with a wordpress page and a .ca that like to listen to music and I happen to take pictures as well.

PLUG!
http://www.theseriousbusiness.ca/

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Four Banger posted:

That's what I was expecting. Hopefully the venues layout will help me though.

I just got a Nikon SB600, so this will also be my first time shooting with a flash. What would the best thing for me to do? I've never shoot a concert with a flash before.

My flash settings are usually 1/2 power (diffused) with my f-stop at around f/4 and shutter speeds between 1/8th and 1/13th of a second. Granted I shoot mainly hardcore and pop-punk bands...

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

pr0digal posted:

My flash settings are usually 1/2 power (diffused) with my f-stop at around f/4 and shutter speeds between 1/8th and 1/13th of a second. Granted I shoot mainly hardcore and pop-punk bands...

I was getting crap from some other "photographers" about using a f4 the other day. Okay, I understand you dont want things detracting from your subject. But I don't have the best AF point control on my camera (Canon XS), and if i grab a bad one at 1.8, then my shot is boned.

I guess that makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's entirely too easy to ruin a shot above f/2, especially at the longer focal lengths.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

f/4 is awesome with higher ISOs and I don't care who knows it. That was 4000ISO on the 7D at f/4 in a lovely, low-light club at 55mm. gently caress da haterzzzz

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's entirely too easy to ruin a shot above f/2, especially at the longer focal lengths.
By above, do you mean f1.4 or f4?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Edit: blah i can read. nevermind

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 10, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Miko posted:

By above, do you mean f1.4 or f4?
I mean the focus can get dicey shooting wide open at longer focal lengths.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I was getting crap from some other "photographers" about using a f4 the other day. Okay, I understand you dont want things detracting from your subject. But I don't have the best AF point control on my camera (Canon XS), and if i grab a bad one at 1.8, then my shot is boned.

I guess that makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Well my sigma 10-20mm is f/4-5.6 so I do most of my shooting wide open at f/4 usually with a flash because the shows I shoot have either zero lighting or lovely lighting.

The below picture is from the show I just shot tonight (well technically last night) at the Palladium Upstairs in Worcester, MA. It was a CD release show and there were a bunch of metal/hardcore/metalcore bands playing (including thrash metal!) The lighting was pretty lovely but the show was fun.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Itzhak Perlman kicked it old school. Played some early Jane's Addiction, followed it with some Agent Orange and brought it home with the theremin part in Whole Lotta Love.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
First concert shooting I've done. Cool show with some friends' band at a small place in West Seattle. I'm pretty happy with how things went, although I found the B&W edits significantly better than the color ones, the lighting was mainly red and really blew out all the skin tones in weird ways:

7D, Tamron 17-50 and Canon 10-22.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I just got back from shooting a wicked intense basement show with Transit and Make do and Mend headlining. You pack a bunch of wildly loyal fans into a small basement and you are left with zero space to move around and wicked hard conditions to photograph in. That being said it was an amazing show and I managed to keep my camera unharmed. Here is a nice little preview. I love my 10-20mm so much, even in confined spaces I am still able to get some good shots.

Transit (http://www.myspace.com/transitma)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pr0digal that's pretty great stuff. Do you have a set somewhere?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
poo poo, I just got what amounts to an NDA for the Them Crooked Vultures set I was hoping on. Check this out:

quote:

2. I hereby acknowledge that* you shall own all rights in the
Photos, including the copyrights therein and thereto, and accordingly, I
hereby grant, transfer, convey and assign to you all right, title and
interest throughout the universe in perpetuity, including, without
limitation, the copyright (and all renewals and extensions thereof), in and
to the Photos. I agree that you shall have the right to exploit all or a
part of the Photos in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised,
throughout the universe, in perpetuity, in all configurations as you
determine, without obtaining my consent and without any payment or
consideration therefor.* I understand that you will give me appropriate
"photo credit" where possible. I understand further that all aspects of
said "photo credit" shall be determined by you in your sole discretion and
that failure to accord said "photo credit" shall not be deemed a breach of
any obligation, express or implied. I further grant to you the right to
use my name, likeness and biographical data in connection with the
distribution, exhibition, advertising and exploitation of the Photos. I
will, upon request, execute, acknowledge and deliver to you such additional
documents as you may deem necessary to evidence and effectuate your rights
hereunder, and I hereby grant to you the right as attorney-in-fact to
execute, acknowledge, deliver and record in the U.S. Copyright Office or
elsewhere any and all such documents if I shall fail to execute same within
five (5) days after so requested by you

4. * **I hereby waive all rights of droit moral or "moral right of
authors" or any similar rights or principles of law which I may now have or
later have in the Photos. *I warrant and represent that I have the right
to execute this Certificate and that the Photos are and shall be new and
original with me and shall be capable of copyright protection throughout the
universe, that they do not and shall not violate or infringe upon any common
law or statutory right of any party, or constitute unfair competition and
are not now and shall not be the subject of any litigation. I shall
indemnify and hold you, and your employees, officers, agents, assignees and
licensees, harmless from and against any losses, costs, liabilities, claims,
damages or expenses arising out of any claim by a third party which is
inconsistent with any warranty or representation made by me in this
Certificate

I have no idea what to do. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but on the other hand, this amounts to a bunch of bullshit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's not an NDA.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

That's not an NDA.

No, but it's the closest thing to hyperbole because 'contract' is too loving boring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NDA's aren't always bad, but I can't see a positive side to relinquishing copyright like that (provided it's enforceable).

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The Crooked Photo Contracts

Dan Boud wrote up an article about this very topic. That contract is bullshit.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

psylent posted:

The Crooked Photo Contracts

Dan Boud wrote up an article about this very topic. That contract is bullshit.

good article, I wish photographers would figure out a way to band together to tell PR firms that do this to F Off... I'm generally an anti-union guy but man a concert photographer's union could be pretty rad on a regional basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MMD3 posted:

good article, I wish photographers would figure out a way to band together to tell PR firms that do this to F Off...

Unfortunately it'd never happen. For every experienced gig shooter who says no, there's 5 trying to get a foot in who will happily sign away their rights to get the shoot.