Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Take your time.

No, seriously. Don't rush.

Seconded. Every page is loving magical; bask in it. As good manga ought to stand up to scrutiny I bought reading glasses and a magnifier to better examine my readings. Nosferatu Zod is probably the most carefully characterized of them all since his face and physiology are so distinctly inhuman, unlike Guts or Griffith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

As well as not rushing for quality reasons, it's also good not to rush reading Berserk because the last thing you actually want is to be fully caught up.

Seriously.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mr. Deathy posted:

As well as not rushing for quality reasons, it's also good not to rush reading Berserk because the last thing you actually want is to be fully caught up.

Seriously.

Ha. Well right now I'm buying 4 volumes at a time, roughly every two weeks, give or take. Reading sparingly, I usually finish the 4 volumes in an evening or two, then order the next four. So at this rate, I'll be caught up in 16 weeks or so.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you read one chapter a month, you might not catch up by the time it finishes.

EDIT: whoops too late!

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Do yourself a favor and listen to everyone here, I just picked up Dark Horse Berserk 32 today and I'm starting to notice the trends in chapter construction that this thread has been talking about. Take your time.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Oh god me too, I just bought 32 and it makes me depressed to think that they just came out with 33 in Japan not that long ago.

Berserk is the only manga I follow unconditionally any more, I'm planning on following it until I'm 40 when it finally finishes. Pick it up Miura

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
gently caress

I thought there was a new chapter released.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hog wizard posted:

gently caress

I love how ONE post in a Berserk thread gets people all excited that there might be a new chapter.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love how ONE post in a Berserk thread gets people all excited that there might be a new chapter.

I'm afraid to post because of this actually. :ohdear:

but check it out here is a super cool dude

Click here for the full 549x1280 image.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

T. W. Forsthye posted:

I'm afraid to post because of this actually. :ohdear:

but check it out here is a super cool dude

Click here for the full 549x1280 image.

Schierke, Farnesse, Casca, even Farnese's mother, Lady Vandimion, are all great characters. They are written so well and each of them actually has a noticable impact on the story instead of being just window dressing or idle love interests.

Behelit Edit: Sorry forgot about the band of whores during the Tower of Conviction Arc, also awesomely well written feudal females. Also I fixed my error because of THE THREADS OF FATE. :void:

Son of Emhak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 29, 2009

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

hog wizard posted:

gently caress

Oh don't worry about that, the date for the next chapter hasn't even been announced as far as I know. We'll get a two week notice before the next chapter, most likely.

Miura isn't releasing enough chapter's per year to make one volume anymore either, so the release of English volumes by Darkhorse is going to stop after it's entirely caught up. I really wish he'd pick up the pace, even if he just did like the lady who does FMA, and make one long one every month, I'd be about a million times more satisfied.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

A.S.H. posted:

Schierke, Farnesse, Casca, even Schierke's mother, Lady Vandimion, are all great characters. They are written so well and each of them actually has a noticable impact on the story instead of being just window dressing or idle love interests.

Behelit Edit: Sorry forgot about the band of whores during the Tower of Conviction Arc, also awesomely well written feudal females.

Did you mean to say "Farnese's mother Lady Vandimion" because unless something changed between vols. 31 and 32 Lady Vandimion is not Schierke's mother, she is Farnese's mother. Schierke doesn't have a mother, she sprang into being with a popping sound one day in the Spirit Tree and scared the pants off of Flora or something i don't know.

Myself, I never thought I could feel as sorry for a worthless dirty stinking GODLESS HARLOT WHORE as I did when they found Luca f-f-freezing her rear end off at the bottom of a well all shivering and poo poo. I'm sitting here shaking off the chills right now just thinking about it, it's very personal. The man obviously knows how to play on his audience. Even disposable crowd faces and one-liners are meticulous; everything he draws receives equal attention. He's the perfect puppet master; by harnessing his characters just so, he harnesses us. Yet the lines are so flawless that we don't even see them. And I looked; and in the faces of his creations I saw Miura.

:rolleyes: ok jesus we get it

Well that was actually kind of the point really...
VVVVVVVVV

T. W. Forsthye fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 29, 2009

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

T. W. Forsthye posted:

Myself, I never thought I could feel as sorry for a [b]worthless dirty stinking GODLESS HARLOT WHORE

gently caress you, Luca is awesome :colbert: She could easily replace Dropy, Farny, Serpico, Caska, the girl elf, Puck, the sailor dude, or Caska and the manga would improve. It wouldn't improve a lot, because it's already great, but still it'd improve.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

T. W. Forsthye posted:

I'm sitting here shaking off the chills right now just thinking about it, it's very personal. The man obviously knows how to play on his audience.

The pro-whore faction, anyway.

I always thought the point of our protagonist gathering such a retinue was to increase the angst factor when they invariably get torn asunder from being drawn into the events revolving around the big movers and shakers of the story. A lot of people in this series have arguably had a much longer lifespan than they have any right to.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

nondeviant posted:

I always thought the point of our protagonist gathering such a retinue was to increase the angst factor when they invariably get torn asunder from being drawn into the events revolving around the big movers and shakers of the story. A lot of people in this series have arguably had a much longer lifespan than they have any right to.

Who in the group do you feel has lived longer than they should have?

Also word on the internets is that on January 22nd we will be getting new Berserk.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

nondeviant posted:

But the pro-whore faction IS his audience. By that I mean adult men.

And how dare you insult the band of the hawk so! Their lives were short enough despite their efforts to the contrary.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I never understand why people say Guts isn't bound by fate anymore. There has been more evidence to the contrary in fact. Guts and Caska have always been where they were needed to support Griffith's agenda. They were at the Tower of Conviction so their brands would make the demons appear to simulate The Eclipse. Then Guts was at Vrittanis to put his sword through the Emperor's face. Guts current party was fated to occur essentially, getting the Berserker armor is just another link in the chain of his Fate. Every Apostle Guts has killed to Curse his blade was essentially fated from the start.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

I never understand why people say Guts isn't bound by fate anymore. There has been more evidence to the contrary in fact. Guts and Caska have always been where they were needed to support Griffith's agenda. They were at the Tower of Conviction so their brands would make the demons appear to simulate The Eclipse. Then Guts was at Vrittanis to put his sword through the Emperor's face. Guts current party was fated to occur essentially, getting the Berserker armor is just another link in the chain of his Fate. Every Apostle Guts has killed to Curse his blade was essentially fated from the start.

They have literally said that Guts is outside the flow of fate the second he got branded. He was essentially dead, and thus outside the flow of fate. This is exactly what the Skull Knight has said. He's trying to move against the fate of the world, and fighting his fated death, but otherwise he's pretty much a dead man walking. He's been written off as dead in the grand scheme of the world, that's why all the spirits and monsters try to kill him constantly.

Fate is literally a force out to kill him. It's not like Guts is fated to go and try to kill fate itself, what since Fate in this series is an actual God who is all about violence. Guts makes his own fate, he makes his own path.

You could argue that maybe a person outside of fate like Guts was the end product of the manipulations and that Griffith was actually the byproduct, but we've seen no indication of that at all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I thought Guts had always been outside of fate, since he was born from a corpse.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Edge Zero posted:

I thought Guts had always been outside of fate, since he was born from a corpse.

It was a figure of speech at first, Guts existence was made to be the turning point which led to Griffith's ascendancy. Without Guts, it wouldn't have happened. Guts was something arranged by Fate.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

They have literally said that Guts is outside the flow of fate the second he got branded. He was essentially dead, and thus outside the flow of fate. This is exactly what the Skull Knight has said. He's trying to move against the fate of the world, and fighting his fated death, but otherwise he's pretty much a dead man walking. He's been written off as dead in the grand scheme of the world, that's why all the spirits and monsters try to kill him constantly.

Fate is literally a force out to kill him. It's not like Guts is fated to go and try to kill fate itself, what since Fate in this series is an actual God who is all about violence. Guts makes his own fate, he makes his own path.

You could argue that maybe a person outside of fate like Guts was the end product of the manipulations and that Griffith was actually the byproduct, but we've seen no indication of that at all.

Yes, Fate is still trying to correct itself with the thousands of demons that attack him nightly. But Guts is still being driven around. Would Griffith have been reborn on the mortal plane if Guts and Caska did not go to the Tower of Conviction? Would Zodd and the other Apostles have defeated the Emperor in Vrittanis? The Skull Knight himself believes it's causality that Guts needed the Berserker Armor and that he is going to follow the same fate he and Flora did. The Skull Knight can apparently detect apostles just like Guts. If this is the result of a branding hasn't been explained. Even so, he is bound by fate. He was meant to collect the behelits from he and Guts kills. The Sword of Resonance was fated to fail it's strike against Femto and cause the worlds to be merged.

The Skull Knight is smart but he isn't omnipotent, he seems to be generally on the right track with his thoughts but fate keeps knocking his plans awry.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

YouTuber posted:

Stuff

Guts is a branded sacrifice. Griffith ascended on his blood. The world moves as if he is dead. That he hasn't died places him outside Fate. That the world manages to stay on course despite their interference shows how difficult it can be for one man to fight destiny.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Hmm. How to make this more confusing.

Wait, even simpler: Who's seen any of the Final Destination series? Same thing. Guts and Caska dodged death, but now the universe is all :nyd: and is going all :black101: on their asses, but failing in the most gruesome manners Miura can draw.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zoolooman posted:

Guts is a branded sacrifice. Griffith ascended on his blood. The world moves as if he is dead. That he hasn't died places him outside Fate. That the world manages to stay on course despite their interference shows how difficult it can be for one man to fight destiny.

That's the thing though. The world's course is still decided in a major fashion by Guts and crew. The Skull Knight is another person who is dead and should be outside of Fate yet Femto was literally waiting for him to attack with the Sword of Resonance so he could bend the strike.

It could be very well that their true fate was to survive the branding and be the catalyst for the events that are occurring.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 9, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

YouTuber posted:

That's the thing though. The world's course is still decided in a major fashion by Guts and crew. The Skull Knight is another person who is dead and should be outside of Fate yet Femto was literally waiting for him to attack with the Sword of Resonance so he could bend the strike.

It could be very well that their true fate was to survive the branding and be the catalyst for the events that are occurring.

The first thing I thought of was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD :black101:

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

YouTuber posted:

I would suggest that the world is good at getting back on track. Also, the Skull Knight is not outside Fate. Whatever happened to him, he gave up his humanity and became something more powerful, but he paid the price in freedom.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009
Does predestination exist in force in Berserk? Guts has been extricated from the grip of "Fate" but remains at its mercy, evidence that perhaps reality is self-correcting.

Do you expect that Griffith's ascendancy will be hindered in some way by Guts' continued existence? Guts was one part of a larger offering, but as has been mentioned the "Book of Guts" was closed when he received the brand, and yet he lives; therefore as an incomplete sacrifice Griffith may yet run into some trouble.

What IS Griffith? Not human, not with the influence he has on Apostles. And not a member of the Godhand anymore, not with his current form. But surely he is attuned to the astral plane with his ability to free dead souls.

Where is the Godhand? Are they waiting patiently in Archangel Void, or do they bide in ethereal form in some kind of purgatory, waiting, as Slan (troll entrails) did, for the right circumstances?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
According to the people at SK.net there is going to be a Berserk release January 22nd.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T. W. Forsthye posted:

Does predestination exist in force in Berserk? Guts has been extricated from the grip of "Fate" but remains at its mercy, evidence that perhaps reality is self-correcting.

Do you expect that Griffith's ascendancy will be hindered in some way by Guts' continued existence? Guts was one part of a larger offering, but as has been mentioned the "Book of Guts" was closed when he received the brand, and yet he lives; therefore as an incomplete sacrifice Griffith may yet run into some trouble.

What IS Griffith? Not human, not with the influence he has on Apostles. And not a member of the Godhand anymore, not with his current form. But surely he is attuned to the astral plane with his ability to free dead souls.

Where is the Godhand? Are they waiting patiently in Archangel Void, or do they bide in ethereal form in some kind of purgatory, waiting, as Slan (troll entrails) did, for the right circumstances?

Griffith is still a Godhand, that's probably his role as Godhand. God gave him "freedom" to do whatever he wanted. As the fifth member of the godhand the hand is now complete (like fingers).

The way I see, the other Godhands were just part of a much larger plan, and Griffith is the culmination of that plan. He's the messiah that was promised to everyone.

I'd even say he embodies the "good" people desired from God. People believed in evil, and thus evil came in the form of God. But they also believed that they would be saved from that evil, and thus Griffith is. But for the "good" to save them, there had to be an evil first, thus God. Now that God filled his role as evil, the culmination of the Godhand is to deliver what people believed in, a Kingdom of Heavens to save them.

At least this is just the way I'm interpreting the plot so far.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2010

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
After thinking....

Think of people as puppets to fate, forced into action by whatever powers or circumstances. Much like cutting the strings on a puppets, Guts and Caska were used and left for dead. But instead of dying or falling to the ground like a stringless puppet, Guts continues to stand. Also, he is able to carry Caska because she too is free from fate. This makes them outside of fate because there is no other direction or use for them. They are free and should die. Death comes from them every night. But Guts somehow manages to live when he shouldn't.

If the God Hand answers hopes and dreams, then Griffith's dream is greater than any other's. He dreamed for a commoner to be a king, which is virtually impossible. Griffith's ambition places him as the prince among hopers and dreamers. It is a two sided affair. You have the living that dream of impossible creatures and hope for a savior (something perceived as impossible). Alternatively, the dead and restless desire to live again. Griffith is the patron saint for all that hope. Therefore, he's ascension and rebirth empowers the creation of all that exists in the impossible.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Gwynne posted:

Who in the group do you feel has lived longer than they should have?

Guts. :colbert:

In all seriousness though, after reading through most of the series in one long stretch it was just interesting to note some of the parallels going on with Guts finding new companions and establishing new relationships which echo those from the Band of the Hawk. I felt that a lot of that was also Miura working to establish the same sort of pathos as with the BotH, to inevitably repeat some of that same tragedy of loss.

I mean I don't wanna be Downy McDownerson, but Berserk wasn't ever meant to be a happy story, a fact which was emphasized by the sacrifice of the BotH. At this point though, it's basically turned into a running sequence of setpiece battles without a true sense of danger to those surrounding Guts, since all of the troupe seem to have developed the plot-immunity trait. It's really hard to maintain a true sense of danger to your cast without said cast suffering anything worse than a series of fight-bleed-heal-repeat.

Zorak posted:

They have literally said that Guts is outside the flow of fate the second he got branded.

I think I need to go back and reread this series again, as the impression I got regarding a lot of this talk about fate and causality was just a lot of :shivdurf: on the part of the skullnight and reinforcement of the same from Femto and the Godhand because it reinforces their aura of authority. Honestly, until Fate with a capitol F is shown as an objectively outside force in Berserk, the vast majority of the events that have played out can be attributed to coincidence, good timing, forethought and clever propogandizing by the big players in the story. Sticking a demon magnet and Guts' neck doesn't necessarily mean that Fate is out to get him, no matter what the big names in the series are telling him, for instance - the Godhand might tell him so simply because that serves their agenda and the Skullnight might reinforce that because he's still sore about his own lot, but Guts is doing a pretty fair job so far of defying what all the movers and shakers are telling him is a set-in-stone-fate.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I've read this whole thing, so some of the above might be a fair amount of :shivdurf: on my part too. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nondeviant posted:

Honestly, until Fate with a capitol F is shown as an objectively outside force in Berserk, the vast majority of the events that have played out can be attributed to coincidence, good timing, forethought and clever propogandizing by the big players in the story.

Heavy duty spoilers because this was cut from the official tankobon volumes, but Fate with a capital F has been shown to exist in the series, it's called The Idea of Evil.

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Idea_of_Evil

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks for the link, forbidden knowledge is some of the sweetest fruit.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heavy duty spoilers because this was cut from the official tankobon volumes, but Fate with a capital F has been shown to exist in the series, it's called The Idea of Evil.

While that is pretty wicked cool... if it can be killed, it's not metaphysical enough that it can't be defied. :black101:

I suppose that latter point remains to be seen. Thanks for the link. :)

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Idea_of_Evil

How interesting. Another facet of my previous comment about predestination is the concept "to whom does the Godhand answer?"

Predestination speculation: Thus truly there exists a form of predestination in Berserk, but not in a form accessible to the Godhand; IF they can recognize it at all, then surely to them it manifests as a distant force of great power but limited substance. Within the few illustrated encounters we've had in Archangel Void nothing of this has been said.

Elentor posted:

astute interpretation

I disagree and propose instead that while Femto is a part of the Godhand, Griffith, different in appearance, demeanor and ability, is something else. What exactly I don't know.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

T. W. Forsthye posted:

I disagree and propose instead that while Femto is a part of the Godhand, Griffith, different in appearance, demeanor and ability, is something else. What exactly I don't know.

This doesn't fit with what we've determined about the inhumans at all though. Femto WAS Griffith. Griffith is merely the mortal shell that followed the threads of fate, making the human sacrifice all inhumans wish for, leading up to his metamorphosis and ascendancy to the Godhand. I'll merely wager that Femto has thus far had no need to take on his true form and power, since the image of Griffith has so much sway over mortals. This of course would play perfectly into the threads of fate, which built up Griffith during the Golden Age.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009

A.S.H. posted:

This doesn't fit with what we've determined about the inhumans at all though. Femto WAS Griffith. Griffith is merely the mortal shell that followed the threads of fate, making the human sacrifice all inhumans wish for, leading up to his metamorphosis and ascendancy to the Godhand. I'll merely wager that Femto has thus far had no need to take on his true form and power, since the image of Griffith has so much sway over mortals. This of course would play perfectly into the threads of fate, which built up Griffith during the Golden Age.

I should first articulate my belief that there appear to be three incarnations of Griffith.
1. Golden Age Griffith, a mortal man who on the day of the eclipse became:
2. Femto of Archangel Void, and finally:
3. Reborn Griffith, "Regriffith," who appeared at the end of the Tower of Conviction and whose exact origins are unclear.

In that post of mine which you quoted I neglected to indicate that I was referring to the post-Conviction Regriffith. I advocate that Regriffith is not Femto based on the following:
-The White Hawk that confronts Zodd and severs its horn in "Birth ceremony chapter: revelations part 3" in volume 17 is certainly not Femto.
-During Guts' encounter with Regriffith after the Tower fell, Regriffith says openly, "While I stand before you in this new body of flesh, it seems I am free."
-A fragment of Casca's child exists within Regriffith. Regriffith indicates that the child is "fused into [his] vessel," thus he is tainted somewhat.
-The nocturnal vision that Midland experienced of a white hawk is the same form of the White Hawk that confronted Zodd.

I propose that Griffith is currently a superior creature in a body of flesh who reserves a higher, hawk-like physical form that is to be revealed later.

I'm not familiar with the term "inhumans" and it doesn't appear in the wiki but since Apostles are Apostles I suppose you mean beings like the mutant spider-Behelit, the demon-augmented and Skull Knight. Would you mind enlightening me? What HAS been determined about the Inhumans?

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

T. W. Forsthye posted:

I'm not familiar with the term "inhumans" and it doesn't appear in the wiki but since Apostles are Apostles I suppose you mean beings like the mutant spider-Behelit, the demon-augmented and Skull Knight. Would you mind enlightening me? What HAS been determined about the Inhumans?

Inhumans is the catchall for those who have used Behelits and made the human sacrifice in order to obtain their status as Apostles. The Kushan Emperor refers to himself as inhuman, and in introspect considers how the Hawk is a magnet that draws the inhumans together around him, as their promised one. One of the biggest indicators of an inhuman is their two forms, the mortal disguise, and their true demon/Apostle form. I'll concede that MAYBE Femto is just Griffith's astral body, or that it is the Ideal of Griffith that exists in the realm of spiritual darkness.

The only individual who I would place as being oddity with the inhumans is Zodd. We have no indication that he ever made a sacrifice or used a Behelit, indeed he seems to be very different from other inhumans, in that he isn't a glutton always greedy for the chance to feast on the flesh of humans, as other inhumans are wont to. Instead Zodd is always crying out for a challenge.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A.S.H. posted:

The Kushan Emperor refers to himself as inhuman

you realize that this isn't a technical term, right? He's just calling himself inhuman.

The Kushan Emperor is just an Apostle. A powerful one, but an Apostle. The God Hand aren't apostles, they're angels. They lead. They don't need to keep one form, since they are an entire paradigm of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A.S.H. posted:

The only individual who I would place as being oddity with the inhumans is Zodd. We have no indication that he ever made a sacrifice or used a Behelit, indeed he seems to be very different from other inhumans, in that he isn't a glutton always greedy for the chance to feast on the flesh of humans, as other inhumans are wont to. Instead Zodd is always crying out for a challenge.

I think Zodd is just really old by Apostle standards. I forget if there's anything in the series to suggest this or if it's just an intuition, but I think they did at least say at one point that he had been appearing on battlefields for a hundred or two hundred years.