Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm getting Demon's Souls in a couple days. Anything major I should know before I start playing besides it being really hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Stupid question perhaps but do I get to keep my heroes (except the main one) between campaign scenarios in Heroes of might and magic V?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

maverick99 posted:

I'm getting Demon's Souls in a couple days. Anything major I should know before I start playing besides it being really hard?

You're going to die. A lot. Accept it and try to learn why you were dying.

Blue eyes = Go ahead and fight

Red eyes = Leave it the hell alone, you're not meant to fight everything in the game at first.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Palleon posted:

You're going to die. A lot. Accept it and try to learn why you were dying.

Blue eyes = Go ahead and fight

Red eyes = Leave it the hell alone, you're not meant to fight everything in the game at first.

Is it possible to beat enemies with red eyes?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

maverick99 posted:

Is it possible to beat enemies with red eyes?

Oh yes, you can beat anything, but right away you probably won't have the stats or the skills to win. You could win even right from the start, but you probably won't and will probably just frustrate you.

Example: There's a red-eye knight in 1-1. Beginning of the game, he'll one hit kill you even with a shield. You wait about 20 levels or so, and your shield can block his shot with maybe 40% stamina damage and no health damage, and you can kill him in 6-7 hits instead of 20+. You could beat him before, but there's no room for error and being new, you're going to make mistakes. So just save yourself the frustration and wait.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2010

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
About to pick up Oblivion, again. Unfortunately, I have to pick it up again because my PC doesn't get along with it, meaning up stuck with the un-moddable 360 version. I know all about the rubber-banding problem, and have heard vague mentions of how to get around it, but nothing specific enough. The Wiki is also pretty vague. Any good tips?

Anonymaus
Oct 20, 2009
Master of Orion 2

Creative is worth a thousand traits.

--------------

King's Bounty (Armored Princess)

Both games are all about minimizing troop losses.

-------------

Oblivion

The true value of the game lies on the ability to mod various skimpy armor on your female character.

Therefore the un-moddable console versions are worthless.

-------------

Counter Strike

The people who still play CS are insanely good.

Do not attempt trade shots with other snipers , those who snipe are using aimbots or are so good that they can see classified as biological aimbots themselves.

When in doubt , Flashbang.

Always attach a silencer to a M4/M16 , Unlike MW2 you are not here to utilize the decreased sound , but to reduce the sway of the reticle when spraying to increase the chances of headshotting. What are the programmers thinking actually?

------------

Civilization 4

Emancipation can be used offensively , rush Stonehenge to unlock emancipation , then immediately switch to it and give an happiness penalty to everyone else , this is even more evident in multiplayer.

Slavery is extemely useful . Even if you have Universal Suffrage/Free Speech/Free Religion , I would still use Slavery as sacrificing population to hurry infrastructure is absolutely critical to accelerate the growth of newly founded colonies.

-------------

MW2

When in doubt , Flashbang. It also serves as a panic button.

The following builds are recommended if you die a lot (not in any order)
OMA Tuber
Scavenger Tuber with RPG/Thumper/AT4
Care Package Marker Knifer (Hold the Marker , don't throw)

Cold Blooded is a lifesaver even if you do not intend to camp , being invisible to Predator/Choppers/Airstrikes is priceless.

The hardest weapon to use is the shield. Do not even think of using it in pub matches. Even in Terminal and organized matches think long and hard.

--------------

Baldur's Gate 2 / Dragon Age

Do all the side quests before moving on the main quests

The number of mages you have in your party is inversely proportional to the difficulty. Crowd Control is absolute necessary in both games and nobody does that better than a mage.

-------------

All 3 STALKERs

An AK74/AK94 Akaban can last you at least the first half of all the games , even the whole game if you fully upgraded. Only switch when the majority of the enemies drop NATO ammo.

Pistol is hardcore mode. They don't do jack poo poo. The game gets way easier once you get your first rifle.

Do not attempt to shoot Burers (Psychic Dwarves) , they seem to deflect bullets with psychic. You should grenade them instead , or run up and knife them if you had too much MW2.

Anonymaus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 8, 2010

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anonymaus posted:

Civilization 4

Emancipation can be used offensively , rush Stonehenge to unlock emancipation , then immediately switch to it and give an happiness penalty to everyone else , this is even more evident in multiplayer

Actually it was the Pyramid that granted you the option to use Emancipation early. Stonehedge just put monuments in all your cities so you can get their borders expanded while also having the world map centered for you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Anonymaus posted:

MW2

When in doubt , Flashbang. It also serves as a panic button.

The following builds are recommended if you die a lot (not in any order)
OMA Tuber
Scavenger Tuber with RPG/Thumper/AT4
Care Package Marker Knifer (Hold the Marker , don't throw)

Cold Blooded is a lifesaver even if you do not intend to camp , being invisible to Predator/Choppers/Airstrikes is priceless.

The hardest weapon to use is the shield. Do not even think of using it in pub matches. Even in Terminal and organized matches think long and hard.

1) I think it'd be more help to get more specific about the builds, people just starting out aren't going to understand those.

2) I wouldn't say the shield is particularly hard to use. It's difficult to get a good kill/death ratio and takes a completely different approach to how you're playing, but as long as you understand you're just a distraction and a bullet sponge it's easy to start helping your team out as a shield guy.

I guess here's my shield tips for first timers

- Obviously you'll want to tailor your perks towards movement and/or melee
- Stare directly at whoever is shooting at you
- Crouch to cover your feet
- You're still going to die so focus on being a pointman for groups of people and drawing fire instead of running around trying to shield bash people
- The shield protects your back when you've got your secondary weapon out.

Really the biggest help you can give your team as a shield person is exposing enemies by having them shoot at you and tying up/distracting enemies who end up right in front of you and have to spend time figuring out what they're going to do to kill you. Really at this point in time most people have a go-to strategy when they end up face to face with a shield guy, but on the plus side most of them are going to assume you're about to charge at them.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 8, 2010

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A couple shield guys are also PRICELESS in HQ gametype. You can suck an extra 10-20 points by just going in a corner, or being the first guy spotted when they try and breach.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Argon_Sloth posted:

There's a lot going on in that battle system. But that just means it's ridiculously easy to break. I've posted about Phantom Brave a few times in this thread.

Sorry for all the links and potential overlap, I just don't feel like typing out a full set of tips right now.

Alright, thanks. I'll keep that in mind as I go. :) (I asked because I didn't see it in the wiki, so...)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Actually it was the Pyramid that granted you the option to use Emancipation early. Stonehedge just put monuments in all your cities so you can get their borders expanded while also having the world map centered for you.

No, the pyramids only gives all government civics, of which emancipation is not. Emancipation is a labor civic.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Left4Dead 1+2 - Enable the console and use the openserverbrowser command to find games using the same server browser window that steam uses for TF2/CS/etc. This way you can sort servers by latency and other things and you don't have to put up with ridiculously laggy gameplay whenever you use matchmaking to play online. Unless I'm missing some obvious way of finding non-lovely servers using the in-game functions you can disregard this advice. As far as I know this method only finds games in progress and not lobbies as they are apparently two completely different things.

I wish I'd known about this the first week I'd started playing this game.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

8-Bit Dracula posted:

Stupid question perhaps but do I get to keep my heroes (except the main one) between campaign scenarios in Heroes of might and magic V?
No, only storyline heroes will keep their levels and stats throughout the campaign. The generic heroes will reset to level 1 at the end of every mission.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Agent Nick posted:

I was going to ask for starting advice for Metal Gear Solid 3, because I've started one of those backlog things and it's pretty much the first game on my list, but I haven't played it in years and I'm absolutely dreadful compared to how good I used to be. Also, the wiki gives advice for MGS4 in the MGS3 area, so I guess this really is the best place to ask for the help.

I know this was from the last page, and already has quite a bit of advice, but...

There are two general methods of playing this game and they are linked by whether or not you choose to use the D-pad. Both these methods say a lot about you:

-Using the D-pad says "I am prepared to move like an perfectly camouflaged snail and learn every last CQC move regardless of however many buttons must be held simultaneously, all while keeping pressure sensitivity in mind."
-Not using the D-pad says "gently caress the camo index, running around and throwing peoples' heads into the ground with the O button is all I need to know about CQC. Alarms can suck my M63 (and/or weapon of choice)."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Because I think it's still worth playing even with the sequel out:

Fallout 2
. For the love of God, don't play this thing unpatched. There are multiple comprehensive unofficial patches that fix lots of stuff the official patch missed.
. You can definitely play different types of characters, but be aware that character options aren't balanced, some stats and skills are way more important than others, and some skills and a whole lot of perks are useless. Big Guns and Throwing are bad choices to specialize in for combat, and the Explosives and Gambling skills are pointless. Agility and Intelligence are far more important than Strength and Endurance. There are too many useless Perks to list.
. Storage space is important! Use shelves and lockers to store stuff you won't need and remember where you put stuff. One of the primary uses of allies is to serve as walking cabinets.
. You really don't need to switch to Energy Weapons late in the game. If you're a Small Guns user, the Gauss guns have you covered.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

PRL412 posted:

I know this was from the last page, and already has quite a bit of advice, but...

There are two general methods of playing this game and they are linked by whether or not you choose to use the D-pad. Both these methods say a lot about you:

-Using the D-pad says "I am prepared to move like an perfectly camouflaged snail and learn every last CQC move regardless of however many buttons must be held simultaneously, all while keeping pressure sensitivity in mind."
-Not using the D-pad says "gently caress the camo index, running around and throwing peoples' heads into the ground with the O button is all I need to know about CQC. Alarms can suck my M63 (and/or weapon of choice)."

For context regarding the D-pad thing: using the D-pad to sneak is completely silent, moving slowly by only slightly moving the analog stick is NOT silent. If you can't sneak up on mans, that might be why.

That said the "throwing people's heads into the ground" move is by far the best one.

I can't wait for Peace Walker, where you can use CQC to throw guards at other guards.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Palleon posted:

Oh yes, you can beat anything, but right away you probably won't have the stats or the skills to win. You could win even right from the start, but you probably won't and will probably just frustrate you.

Example: There's a red-eye knight in 1-1. Beginning of the game, he'll one hit kill you even with a shield. You wait about 20 levels or so, and your shield can block his shot with maybe 40% stamina damage and no health damage, and you can kill him in 6-7 hits instead of 20+. You could beat him before, but there's no room for error and being new, you're going to make mistakes. So just save yourself the frustration and wait.

That is possibly the worst game I've heard of to date.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anonymaus posted:

All 3 STALKERs

Do not attempt to shoot Burers (Psychic Dwarves) , they seem to deflect bullets with psychic. You should grenade them instead , or run up and knife them if you had too much MW2.

Is that the thing that throws you around in the tunnel near strelok's stash? Why did I have to learn that the hard way. Not to mention the most frightening loving way possible.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

That is possibly the worst game I've heard of to date.

Yes, a video game where there's an enemy that's really hard to beat but becomes easier after you're used to the game, never seen poo poo like that before, gently caress that game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is that the thing that throws you around in the tunnel near strelok's stash? Why did I have to learn that the hard way. Not to mention the most frightening loving way possible.

No, it's something worse than that. Thankfully the burer isn't in the unmodded game (might be in CoP, I dunno). The controller, which is what you're talking about, can be shot at, but it is easier to pop in and out of cover and grenade it to death.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Palleon posted:

Yes, a video game where there's an enemy that's really hard to beat but becomes easier after you're used to the game, never seen poo poo like that before, gently caress that game.

Whoa, whoa, enemies are hard at the beginning and become easier with player skill, XP, and better equipment? What is this madness?

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Anonymaus posted:

Counter Strike

The people who still play CS are insanely good.

I've heard this a few times in this thread and it's really not true, or at least not exclusively so. Sure there are some uber-gamers out there but on public servers the skill level of the players varies wildly today just as it did years ago.

People looking to get back into CS shouldn't be scared off by the prospect of uber-gamers/hackers owning them into the ground constantly, although it can happen, it's the exception and not the rule.

If you are at all decent at FPSes, you'll hold your own and have fun in a CS pub even without a lot of experience at the game. At least that was my experience in picking the game up over the holidays after having never really played more than a few rounds before.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
I had a question about Final Fantasy Tactics.

A lot of people recommend using Blade Grasp on your characters as a defense skill for mad evasion. Is there any reason not to use Hamedo instead? I like that my characters preempt enemy attacks, rather than just avoiding them.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

SinetheGuy posted:

About to pick up Oblivion, again. Unfortunately, I have to pick it up again because my PC doesn't get along with it, meaning up stuck with the un-moddable 360 version. I know all about the rubber-banding problem, and have heard vague mentions of how to get around it, but nothing specific enough. The Wiki is also pretty vague. Any good tips?

Geez, if you're stuck with the unmodden version then be sure to brush up on efficient leveling. It's essential. Here's some more tips:

Character Creation
- Either go here or somewhere else to figure out what races/genders get bonuses to what skills and attributes, and then choose accordingly. The game won't tell you during the creation process, so it helps to know ahead of time that, say, high elves have massive weaknesses to elemental damage. You'll really want to capitalize as much as you can on bonuses by picking those as your major skills.
- Aside from certain attribute scores, there's no practical difference between playing a male or female characters.
- Birthsigns are a mixed bag, but The Atronach is generally considered to be the best. It gives you a 50% chance to absorb any spell cast at you and convert it into mana for yourself. Which means that half of all enemy spells will fail on you. The downside is that your mana won't regenerate, but since you absorb enemy spells, you'll usually have power whenever you need it.
- Your two favoured attributes don't get anything other than the initial +5 bonus, so you might want to pick attributes that are really low to balance out your weak spots at first. Or you could use them to boost already high stats. Either way it will never come into play again.

Skills
- Armorer: I think this is one of the most critical skills in the game. Your armor and weapons will degrade at a stupendous rate, and prior to Journeyman level in this skill, you won't be able to repair any magical items at all. You'll also go through repair hammers ridiculously fast. Make sure you focus on training this up ASAP.
- Alchemy: Don't underestimate this. There are ingredients everywhere and they're easy to harvest (unlike in Morrowind). They will be a lifesaver when you're in the middle of a dungeon and you've run out of spells/potions. Keep your alchemy set with you until you get a house to store it in, then start storing ingredients and creating potions more sparingly. Potions are also a great way, in the early game, of generating income.
- Sneak/Security: If no one sees you commit a crime, it didn't happen. So steal everything and steal often. Pick a town (or district if you're in the Imperial City) and during the day wander into the houses while they're unlocked to figure out which ones have the most valuables. Wait until midnight, then start robbing those homes blind. You will need to have joined the Thieves Guild in order to sell off all your ill-gotten loot.
- Illusion: Worth it mostly for the charm spell, as the speechcraft minigame is incomprehensible. Since dialogue doesn't take up any real time, you can create a custom charm spell that will max out most NPCs' dispositions but that only lasts for a few seconds. However, if you really pump this skill you'll also get access to the Chameleon spell which can really break the game.

Quests
- After completing the first main quest task upon leaving the intro dungeon, you will be directed to the city of Kvatch. You may or may not want to do this right away. Entering Kvatch will trigger a global event that causes hell-portals to open up all over the map. Since the enemies are scaled, they won't be insurmountable, just a growing nuisance. Avoiding Kvatch will forestall this indefinitely, but the longer you leave it the harder the enemies will be when you finally start the quest.
- The game will tell you that it's safer to travel by roads. This is a lie--you will probably get attacked by more bandits traveling by road than you would by just beelining through the wilderness. BUT, when you're starting the game, it's a good idea to do a circuit of the roads around the Imperial City. You'll run into some good intro quests to get you started with some decent items and rewards.
- In the village of Weye (just W of the Imperial City), Aelwin will ask you to get some slaughterfish scales for him. Your compass will point you to the fish (in succession), and they're a little difficult but not impossible. The hardest part is learning to fight while swimming. The reward is a water-breathing ring, which ridiculously handy at this stage.
- In the village of Aleswell (N of the Imperial City), everyone is invisible. Speak to the innkeeper to get the quest, which doesn't require more than a two minute walk. Your reward will be a permanent room in the inn with a container in which to store things. Much easier than saving up thousands of gold for a house.
- Speak to the count of Leyawiin; he’ll ask you to work with an Orcish knight and eventually get rid of some Black Bandits. If you complete all the tasks, you get ownership of the White Stallion Inn, a cheap place to rest and store things until you can afford a house.
- Find the Shrine of Azura (NNW of Cheydinhal) with an offering of glow dust. You’ll need to purchase the dust from an alchemist at low levels (since Will-o-Wisps don’t appear til later), but it should be fairly cheap. Azura’s quest will net you a soul gem that doesn’t disappear once you use the soul inside, and that can hold the highest level of souls.
- Speak to Jensine in the Imperial City Market District about Thoronir (you may have to ask some of the other shopkeepers about Rumours to unlock the topic). She’ll ask you to investigate him, and the quest is fairly straightforward, with an easy two-person fight at the end. You get a good resistance ring out of it (levelled, of course).
- Once you've reached level 10, find the Shrine of Nocturnal. Completing the quest will net you an unbreakable lockpick which pretty much breaks the game as far as money/equipment is concerned.

Factions
- Remember than any character can join any faction, regardless of what major skills you've picked and what other factions you've joined. Technically, any class of character can completely all the faction quests, but you really need high stealth and security for the thief and assassin factions.
- If you find yourself getting pulverized in dungeons, head to the Arena in the Imperial City and join up. You'll get combat experience and gold in small, manageable doses, and the Arena counts as a faction.
- The Thieves Guild should be joined as soon as possible. Just find a poster about the Gray Fox somewhere in the Imperial City, read it, and then head to the Waterfront around 11/11:30 at night. Find the garden with the low stone wall, and between 11:30 and midnight you should trigger the entrance to the Thieves Guild. If the guy won't talk to you, bribe him until his disposition is above 60 and he should let you in.
- If you plan on playing a magic user, speed through the recommendation quests in the outlying mage guilds. The sooner you gain access to the spellmaking altar in the arcane university, the better. Even if you have the Wizard's Tower DLC, the altar at the university will probably be cheaper to access than the one in the tower.
- To join the Assassin's Guild, you need to murder someone. This can be challenging to do without getting caught. Being able to sneak/backstab is useful, but try to find people no one will miss, like beggars or skooma addicts (you can find a houseful in Bravil). Be warned that most NPCs in Oblivion will summon guards if you don't kill them on the first hit. If you're extremely well-concealed you might be ok, which is why sleeping targets are much easier.
- The Mages Guild and the Fighters Guild are easy for low-level characters. The Thieves Guild and the Assassins Guild are not. Also, completing thief/assassin quests will raise your infamy, while the mage/fighter faction quests will raise your fame. If your infamy is more than your fame, you won't be able to receive blessings from temple altars and most people will have a very low disposition toward you.

General
- The best way to get people to talk to you is through bribes, especially with a low speechcraft/personality/illusion score. If someone has more to say about a topic, the topic will remain gold, and you'll usually need to raise their disposition above 70 or so before they'll tell you everything.
- Remember that your skills increase the more you use them, so walking and running everywhere instead of always fast-travelling will produce noticeable results in your acrobatics and athletics skills. Swimming and jumping will increase those skills even faster.
- It helps to do all the various quests in a certain town all at once, instead of all the quests for a certain faction (which usually requires you to go all over the map). You miss a lot less that way.
- When you're in a new town, ask everyone you see about Rumours. There will usually be 2-3 quests in each town that are only activated by asking certain townspeople about rumours. Bartenders and shopowners are good bets for this.
- At first, disease will be a constant in most dungeons so be prepared. Bring potions or learn the spell. It can really destroy you if you're not ready, and it's not feasible to return to town to get restored at the altar.
- When picking someone’s pocket, they can catch you even if you don’t try to steal anything. So always make sure you’ve left sneak mode before “activating” someone to talk to them—-otherwise you might accidentally get caught trying to pickpocket them.
- Always keep a silver or magical weapon on you. Some monsters (like ghosts) will be immune to normal weapons, so you’ll need a silver or magically enchanted weapon to hurt them. Keep in mind that if you have a magic weapon with no charge, it will still bypass their damage resistance. Eventually, Daedric weapons will also do the trick, but you won’t run into those until level 18+.
- Make sure you have some method of restoring attributes on the fly, primarily Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Speed. All of those will often get drained or damaged by enemies, and they can severely impact your combat skills, depending on what class you are. You can accomplish this via potions or spells, but constantly trudging back to the altar in town will soon become annoying. If you plan on using Restoration for this, invest early as it levels up extremely slowly and Restore Attribute spells are both expensive, difficult to find for purchase, and usually for Journeyman level and above.
- If you back away as your enemy swings at you, he’ll miss and stumble. This will provide a better opportunity for you to attack than if you’d stood still and taken the blow, or even blocked it with your shield. You can also block without a shield, although it won't be as effective.
- Your attacks will do less damage if your weapons are not at full health. Be sure to repair on the fly as much as possible. A general rule of thumb is to check your gear after every second or third fight (unless you’re killing rats, or sneak-killing enemies in one hit).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

John Pastor posted:

A lot of people recommend using Blade Grasp on your characters as a defense skill for mad evasion. Is there any reason not to use Hamedo instead? I like that my characters preempt enemy attacks, rather than just avoiding them.

It's been awhile, and somebody will correct me probably, but Blade Grasp gives you Brave/100 % chance to not get hit with any physical attack, Hamedo is based on something far lower and has to be in counterable range (possibly melee)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Astfgl posted:

Awesome post.

Hell yeah. Thanks a lot.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

deadtear posted:

John Pastor posted:

It's been awhile, and somebody will correct me probably, but Blade Grasp gives you Brave/100 % chance to not get hit with any physical attack, Hamedo is based on something far lower and has to be in counterable range (possibly melee)

Nearly all reaction abilities, have a brave/100 chance of trigger on eligible attacks, the only exception I can think of right now is weapon guard, which is always active.

The reason why Blade Grasp is generally a better choice than Hamedo are the attack types that can trigger it. Hamedo only triggers on a few kinds of attacks, making it useless against monsters and classes inaccessible to generics, which is most of what you'll fight in the end game. Bladegrasp on the other hand, triggers on just about everything but magic.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Astfgl posted:

- Make sure you have some method of restoring attributes on the fly, primarily Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Speed. All of those will often get drained or damaged by enemies, and they can severely impact your combat skills, depending on what class you are. You can accomplish this via potions or spells, but constantly trudging back to the altar in town will soon become annoying. If you plan on using Restoration for this, invest early as it levels up extremely slowly and Restore Attribute spells are both expensive, difficult to find for purchase, and usually for Journeyman level and above.

Spectacular advice, Astfgl. Dear readers, pay attention to everything Astfgl said, but pay particular attention to the part I quoted. Once you hit a certain level, the probability of encountering an enemy that can damage your stats increases ridiculously, and there's nothing worse than being stuck at the very bottom of a dungeon with a strength stat of 13, especially if you're a melee fighter. Ordinarily, I'd suggest using an editor to either replace the enemy or at least the particular stat-damaging attack, as it is loving annoying; you have my sympathy for not being able to mod your version.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

On Oblivion:

-Personality is pointless. Don't bother with it until everything else is maxed.

-Once you have the coin (~3000), go to Rindir's Staves in the Imperial City market and buy Apotheosis. It's one of the best Staff weapons in the game (33 shock, frost, and fire damage) and is excellent at getting yourself out of a tight situation.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Happy Bear Suit posted:

On Oblivion:
-Once you have the coin (~3000), go to Rindir's Staves in the Imperial City market and buy Apotheosis. It's one of the best Staff weapons in the game (33 shock, frost, and fire damage) and is excellent at getting yourself out of a tight situation.

And once you have Apotheosis, hop on over to Vindasel, stand on the broken pillar and blast Umbra a few times, then claim pretty much the best sword with 0 weight and a full set of ebony armor.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This isn't exactly a question for "What I should know before I play", but continuing off of my previous Fallout post...

I don't think I've made a particularly bad character or anything (focused on IN, Small Guns, Speech, all of the apparently important traits). But I'm at a point now (The Hub) where the difficulty has all of a sudden shot through the roof. I can't do any of the quests there because I do too little damage and get killed too quickly, and I can't afford any of the poo poo in the stores that might make them easier. Furthermore, I only have 100 days left to find that stupid Water Chip.

Can I go to Necropolis and get the chip despite apparently sucking on The Hub's missions? And then is there a place I can go to grind Exp/Money? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed and lost at the moment, which is the exact fear I had going into the game in the first place.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SpazmasterX posted:

MGS3 tips

I forgot a couple.

Instant noodles and (I think) Calorie Mates are 100% stamina restoration, so save them for when you really need them.

Glowing mushrooms restore your battery. I poo poo you not.

Tap R1 constantly in every cutscene. Sometimes there's a hidden easter egg or some tits you can check out. Anytime the R1 prompt is not hidden, there may be something useful to see.

When you reach enemy "bases" there are always a couple shacks nearby that are filled with food and ammo/gear. Blow them up and enemies will complain about being hungry, meaning they can be knocked out easier and longer, and may run out of ammo when they shoot at you if you set off an alarm. But this only applies to that area.

If you go into the healing screen and spin Snake around a bunch, he'll throw up when you leave the menu. Useful if you accidentally give him food poisoning. Hilarious any other time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nate RFB posted:

This isn't exactly a question for "What I should know before I play", but continuing off of my previous Fallout post...

I don't think I've made a particularly bad character or anything (focused on IN, Small Guns, Speech, all of the apparently important traits). But I'm at a point now (The Hub) where the difficulty has all of a sudden shot through the roof. I can't do any of the quests there because I do too little damage and get killed too quickly, and I can't afford any of the poo poo in the stores that might make them easier. Furthermore, I only have 100 days left to find that stupid Water Chip.

Can I go to Necropolis and get the chip despite apparently sucking on The Hub's missions? And then is there a place I can go to grind Exp/Money? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed and lost at the moment, which is the exact fear I had going into the game in the first place.
Set your gun to burst mode.
I do caravan runs and hope the escorts take the damage. It does take some time but you get a lot of stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

No, it's something worse than that. Thankfully the burer isn't in the unmodded game (might be in CoP, I dunno). The controller, which is what you're talking about, can be shot at, but it is easier to pop in and out of cover and grenade it to death.

Burer was originally a boss in X18 but they replaced him with a poltergeist instead. Some of the mods unlock him but they also unlock the rest of the dwarves.

Anyways, burers appear in Call of Pripyat officially. They're pretty timid and won't attack you if you don't approach closer than 10 meters or so or attack them first. They're dangerous in closed in areas because you'll always be close to them which instantly activates their aggressive AI. They drop their shield when they focus energy for a psychic attack and it's homing so the only way to dodge it is by covering yourself completely.

As for the controllers, I think you only fight one or two in the unmodified game and they can be avoided. If you're playing Oblivion Lost where they're everywhere it's super buttfucking annoying because they can attack you so long as you're within line of sight. Yeah, they can hit you simply by looking at you so if you hear that eerie squealing noise it probably means there's a controller standing camoflauged in some remote corner staring at you to death.

Moral: Don't play with Oblivion Lost on your first playthrough. I learned that the hard way when pseudogiants, controllers, burers, and bloodsuckers randomly spawned in the sarcophagus in addition to the monolith soldiers.

On hell mode.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Happy Bear Suit posted:

-Personality is pointless. Don't bother with it until everything else is maxed.

That's a pretty important point, because Personality is the governing attribute of Illusion, which is one of the most useful skills in the game. Spell effectiveness is solely affected by your skill in that spell school, making governing attributes totally meaningless in terms of magic. In fact, Luck is the only attribute that has any direct impact on spells, and even then it's only on the cost. Intelligence and Willpower affect your total mana pool and rate of mana recovery, respectively, and never your spells. The game also makes none of this apparent or even discernible.

As much as I love Oblivion, is has some of the most non-intuitive, unintelligible game concepts I've ever seen.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can somebody give me some advice/tips for Fable II?

I plan to play a female warrior/mage but heavier on the mage part.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

- You get 5 tier slots for spells to cast. A good combination is to have Lightning in the first slot, then Slow Time, then all Lightning. Lightning stuns enemies and the fifth tier attack does massive damage (especially when it's targeted) but takes a while to charge, which is where Slow Time comes in handy.

- Pretty much any quest that ends with a choice will affect the world later on, also some opportunity quests or conflicting quests will also shape the world differently. For example in the very beginning, if you give the warrants to the guard, when you come back later Old Bowerstone will have undergone urban renewal and will be a very wealthy district, and all the shopkeepers will give you a discount. If you don't, it stays a crime ridden slum.

- Invest in small businesses like stalls and move up to buying shops and renting out houses. The money adds up fast the more property you own.

- Even though you're going Mage, learn the Brutal Styles and Dexterous Styles anyway. I've played through the game without upgrading my Physique or Accuracy, and it's entirely do-able, but I can see it getting VERY boring if all you have to fall back on is throwing magic at people.

- Sometimes shops have Massive Sales. Keep an eye out for them, then buy their entire stock. Because later on a shop might have a Massive Shortage, and you can sell all your items for a 200% markup. Also, buying and selling in shops raises the town's economy, making shops better.

- Do the side quests! They're fun! Well mostly. Certain parts of the game explicitly tell you you're passing a point of no return, and if you have any quests open still you should go do them.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This may have been asked before, but this thread is far too massive to search through. Anyone have any tips for Neverwinter Nights 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scabscar
Sep 30, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

- Whenever Barnum asks for an investment, give it to him.

- Inferno might be a better choice at high level spells than lightning; it doesn't cause that stuttering stun that lightning does, but a lvl 5 AoE lightning spell caps at 4 or 5 targets (I think)

- When playing a mage, I usually stop Brutal styles after getting Flourish - you won't miss much if you stop, but it's up to you.

- As a mage/warrior, Toughness is your friend. If you can afford it, take it.

- Raise Dead is great defensively as well as offensively, and it gets stronger if you use it around enemies who you've just killed.

- The Lady Grey quest is buggy on 360 - If you want to marry her, bring a level 5 ring when you bring her final body piece back, and make sure your "terror" rating isn't at full.