Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

spixxor posted:

I can't loving stand Bear. Something about him just screams douchey Bro to me. Les Stroud could out survive him any day. :colbert:
he's a preachy vegan earthchild. Bear claims to have done some thing for the SAS. Bears win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hall n oates mom posted:

he's a preachy vegan earthchild. Bear claims to have done some thing for the SAS. Bears win!

Bear also climbed Everest, after breaking his back falling or something. The guy is badass, I don't care if he gets choppered to a Best Western after filming, he still drank water out of elephant poo poo during the day.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No poo poo, I don't give a gently caress if he stayed in a best western during a shoot once, I sure as gently caress wouldn't somersault down into an arctic ice cave and eat a raw scorpion wrapped in a kangaroo nutsack

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

IRQ posted:

Neither was Les. He had a sat phone and several episodes actually had him getting rescued.

There's a pretty obvious difference between "does stunts in the woods, then stays in a hotel" and "keeps a satellite phone with him and gets evacuated if conditions are life threatening so he doesn't die for the sake of a TV show".

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Honeymoon posted:

There's a pretty obvious difference between "does stunts in the woods, then stays in a hotel" and "keeps a satellite phone with him and gets evacuated if conditions are life threatening so he doesn't die for the sake of a TV show".
There's also a difference between "stays in a hotel after shooting" and "stayed in a hotel once because the conditions were just too terrible." The first is not what Bear does, the second is what Bear did.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

All I can really take away is that one of them said "That's how Detroit does it!" and all I could think was "pointless, inefficient, stupidly designed, rushed, doesn't do what it was supposed to, overly expensive, likely to break down, could be done better by pretty much anyone with two brain cells to rub together... yep, that's how Detroit does it."

ouch....i mean yeah i agree with you but drat thats cold.

I wonder how they would do a pizza oven?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

max4me posted:

ouch....i mean yeah i agree with you but drat thats cold.

I wonder how they would do a pizza oven?

I imagine a 16 cylinder leaded gas fueled "hemi" that vents the exhaust directly into the oven under a makeshift grill of welded together rusted rebar that you have to keep your foot on the pedal for and a manual gearshift to change the temperature, which ranges from anemic to lukewarm in first gear to hotter than the surface of the sun in 2nd gear. The lid is a 500 pound hood to a mac truck with nothing to prop it up so you just kind of have to remember to hold it. DETROIT INGENUITY!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

All I can really take away is that one of them said "That's how Detroit does it!" and all I could think was "pointless, inefficient, stupidly designed, rushed, doesn't do what it was supposed to, overly expensive, likely to break down, could be done better by pretty much anyone with two brain cells to rub together... yep, that's how Detroit does it."

My buddy and I were watching it and right after that guy said that, my buddy turned to me and goes "Yeah, half-assed". I think on Monster Garage there's a good chance they'd have called that a failure and destroyed it.

I was really surprised they let Tory cut the rope on the tree catapult like that on Mythbusters - a stretched rope breaking like that is incredibly dangerous and could seriously hurt someone. The only thing I could think was that because he was cutting it near the anchor point, there wasn't as much danger of him being whipped by it as it was cut.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would love to see a survival show that combined Man vs Wild and Survivorman with the campy attitude of Dirty Jobs. Something where the host has to live in a hut or a cave eating seal rear end while the camera crew chills out in a RV and occasionally taunts the host with a beer and a hamburger.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Wikipedia posted:

In December 2008, Grylls suffered a broken shoulder while kite skiing across a stretch of ice during an independent expedition to climb a remote unclimbed peak in Antarctica. Travelling at speeds up to 50 km/h (30mph), a ski caught on the ice, launching him in the air and breaking his shoulder when he came down

Pfft, pussy. And that was on his spare time!

BearG-4-Ever!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neito posted:

Eh. I still haven't gotten over the Man vs Best Western controversy from a couple years ago. I never feel like Bear's really in any danger.
This absolutely killed the show for me when I heard about it. The only episode I've watched since was the one with Will Ferrell, which was pretty funny.

Survivorman seems somewhat more realistic, since he has no camera crew (that I know of), and has to lug it around everywhere he goes.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love to see a survival show that combined Man vs Wild and Survivorman with the campy attitude of Dirty Jobs. Something where the host has to live in a hut or a cave eating seal rear end while the camera crew chills out in a RV and occasionally taunts the host with a beer and a hamburger.

Holy poo poo now I want to see a Dirty Jobs/Man vs. Wild crossover. I would watch the gently caress out of Mike Rowe out in the wild trying to rough it. They could take Barsky and crew instead of Bear's camera guys. gently caress yes.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

IRQ posted:

Bear doing ridiculous poo poo is the point of Man vs Wild.

Neither was Les. He had a sat phone and several episodes actually had him getting rescued.

Half the time Les could never raise anybody; I know he tried on a few episodes to demonstrate just how isolated he was.

That being said, Survivorman is leagues above Bear, but both are really entertaining in their own way.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
One is survival entertainment, the other is survival education. I have little doubt both could survive anywhere you put them and once you strip away the flashing lights of Bear's show, he's still a guy who knows a ton about surviving. People compare the two because they think both are on the level and they simply aren't.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

At the very least, the one you can be sure of is that anyone seriously trying to pit them 'against' each other on perceived criteria that has been embellished for promotional purposes is a Raging Flamer. :roflolmao:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

So, does bringing up the fact that Bear Grylls gave himself an enema with water filled with bird poo poo on national tv make Bear Grylls cooler?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, does bringing up the fact that Bear Grylls gave himself an enema with water filled with bird poo poo on national tv make Bear Grylls cooler?

Les Stroud wouldn't put himself in the position to have to shove bird poo poo water up his rear end :smug:

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Having a camera crew means you don't have to watch the same 3 stationary camera angles for the whole hour, you don't have to listen to Les talk about the badass thing he just did 5 minutes before he set up his cameras, and you don't have to watch Les play the harmonica every single loving episode because they ran out of interesting footage to use. Survivorman would be so much better if they just cut it down to 30 minutes an episode.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

spixxor posted:

Holy poo poo now I want to see a Dirty Jobs/Man vs. Wild crossover. I would watch the gently caress out of Mike Rowe out in the wild trying to rough it. They could take Barsky and crew instead of Bear's camera guys. gently caress yes.

gently caress, yeah. And Mike Rowe would probably be suave as a motherfucker through it all.

I still love the sheep episode where he slept in an un-insulated trailer on the freezing Scottish (I think) plains.

"How'd you sleep?"
"Not good, but I discovered that, though some inventive maneuvering, it's entirely possible to pee through that window without getting out of bed."

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Free Market Gravy posted:

gently caress, yeah. And Mike Rowe would probably be suave as a motherfucker through it all.

I still love the sheep episode where he slept in an un-insulated trailer on the freezing Scottish (I think) plains.

"How'd you sleep?"
"Not good, but I discovered that, though some inventive maneuvering, it's entirely possible to pee through that window without getting out of bed."

My favorite Mike Rowe moment, and I think this is probably the same situation you were talking about, is his TED talk about, among other things, castrating sheep.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Neito posted:

My favorite Mike Rowe moment, and I think this is probably the same situation you were talking about, is his TED talk about, among other things, castrating sheep.

That was the same episode where, if I remember correctly, he castrated sheep by biting their testicles off, which has to be an experience one doesn't easily forget.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Has Dirty Jobs ever filmed out of the country? I want to say I remember them doing something in Canada, but that's it. They could probably find some new crazy jobs if they went elsewhere.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ganon posted:

Has Dirty Jobs ever filmed out of the country? I want to say I remember them doing something in Canada, but that's it. They could probably find some new crazy jobs if they went elsewhere.

Oh my yes. You don't remember that episode in Africa with the batshit crazy monkey lady?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Ganon posted:

Scotland for sure, but the issue with filming out of country is the language barrier. Rowe has said repeatedly that the stars of DJ are the guys who do this every day, not him, which explains why the workers are so heavily featured. It's one thing to read subtitles for a guy who speaks broken English/with a heavy accent, but a DJ overseas with people who would require a translator would suck.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

Oh my yes. You don't remember that episode in Africa with the batshit crazy monkey lady?

Hahaha and the loving monkeys themselves, randomly attacking everyone. That lady was a nut though.

Also there's all the shark week episodes, in south africa and I forget where else.

I don't think the sheep episode was in Scotland though, if I still had it DVR'd I could tell you.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

spixxor posted:

I don't think the sheep episode was in Scotland though, if I still had it DVR'd I could tell you.

It was overseas somewhere, to my knowledge, but South Africa, too, if we're still looking for foreign DJ episodes.

The best clip of the monkey episode was during the credits when Mike taunts the monkey through the window :lol:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Free Market Gravy posted:

It was overseas somewhere, to my knowledge, but South Africa, too, if we're still looking for foreign DJ episodes.

The best clip of the monkey episode was during the credits when Mike taunts the monkey through the window :lol:

After braving the Dirty Jobs forums, it was filmed in Colorado. Also found this gem of a post in which Mike replies to some rabid PETA kook who was upset about the sheep castrating method. The bits in quotation marks are the ranter.

Mike Rowe posted:

"Why is Discovery continuing to show such cruelty on television?"

Hello, Discovery Fan. (Time for a new screen name?) The program continues to air because it generates viewers and conversation. It also portrays an accurate, legal, and accepted method of animal husbandry long practiced around the world.

"I can't believe this aired before."
Trust me, it has. Along with many other segments that would likely offend your sensibilities. Of course, offending you is not the goal, in spite of what you may think.

"I watch discovery and consider myself a fan of most of what I have seen and learned from all of its programs. I am appalled, outraged, and SHOCKED that this episode even aired."
Perhaps, and I say this with all respect, you are not interested in learning about things you don't wish to know? There are many topics that don't interest me either. Don't take it so hard.

"There was NOTHING amusing, educational or necessary about a man biting a defenseless lambs testicles (with teeth that are duller than a spoon) and ripping its testicles out of its body."
Obviously, opinions vary, and yours are no less valuable than those I agree with. However, you write with the assumption of someone that is speaking for the masses. You may wish to consider that your tone will not only weaken your argument with the other side, it will likely alienate you from those who might share your sentiment, but don't wish to respond with histrionics and caps. Regarding "amusing" we might concur. My goal was not to amuse you. Really, I had no goal that day, other than getting the job done and going home. As for "education and necessity," I fear you and I have a different understanding of what those words mean. And with respect to the dullness of my teeth, your point is lost on me. If I were to sharpen them, could we be pals?

"NO MATTER HOW YOU SPIN IT! That was horrific and I will be reconsidering my opinion of the Discovery Channel and Dirty Jobs. Unbelievable!"
I'm not clear on what you find unbelievable. Is it the job? Is it the fact that we showed it? Or is it the fact that you took the time to watch it, write about it, write about it some more, and then make it clear that no amount of explanation or dialogue could possibly change your opinion or asuage your outrage? Of the three, the only thing perplexing to me is the latter.

"There are more humane ways of getting the job done people."
Are you sure? I'm not. I asked around, and watched firsthand as other methods were employed. Didn't look humane to me. Of course, you statement assumes that "humane" is the only consideration. Speed, cost, and efficiency also matter, like it or not.

"I don't want to see the most barbaric ways some people use to manage their livestock, thank you."
You're welcome. But in the spirit of free will, I have to wonder why you watched? Is it possible that you enjoy the outrage?

"I use to think highly of Discovery Channel. Tonights episode made it clear that educating the public is not their mission, but rather exploiting the practices of inbreeds to entertain those who find humor in cruelty. Disgusting."

The Villards are a family of farmers. They have been feeding thousands of Americans for generations. Their work ethic and skill are to be admired, as is their willingness to endure the quick and easy judgments of people who don't know any better. Calling them "inbreeds" is a rather incredible accusation, but I'm glad you did so. It reveals far more about the depth of your own character, and the shallowness of your arguments.

Respectfully,
Mike

I love that man.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ugh, all I can think is about that woman is "AUGH I'M ANGRY OVER LAMB TESTICLES :rant:"

Edit: I haven't seen the lamb castration episode, but I think the one that grossed me out most was with crab meat or something. They took leftovers of crabs and crushed them up? I think that's it, I had to change the channel a few times. At the end he eats something that looks like cat food and it just gross.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
:drat: Mike Rowe. Completely wrecked that poster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rowe's an avowed conservative, so I'm sure he hates those types of people, even if they have a point (not saying that particular person does).

I say they should have some show that does a Mike Rowe/Ben Bailey team-up.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I remember Mike Rowe going on Opie and Anthony and explaining that they also did the sheep castration with the knife, and that the sheep's bleeding was prolonged and it took a few days to recover. With the teeth, they bled for a couple seconds that got up and walked around like nothing happened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rowe's an avowed conservative

:ohdear:

You basically ruined Mike Rowe for me.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

spixxor posted:

Hahaha and the loving monkeys themselves, randomly attacking everyone. That lady was a nut though.

Also there's all the shark week episodes, in south africa and I forget where else.

The monkey farm WAS a shark week episode, they had to find something in a hurry after their boat booking fell through.

Only time I've seen the entire crew running for their lives. "gently caress it, run the monkeys over, just drive!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

IRQ posted:

:ohdear:

You basically ruined Mike Rowe for me.

There's a difference between "Avowed conservative" and "Crazy tea-bagging obama's a nazi" conservative, tho.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Motor City Motors really is a crappy show. I just watched the episode where they took an army truck, added a combine, and then put a giant grill on the back of it. All I could think about while I watched them eat through a cornfield (in the middle of Detroit :wtc:) was how all that food could have gone towards the community instead of being shredded and burnt.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TL posted:

I remember Mike Rowe going on Opie and Anthony and explaining that they also did the sheep castration with the knife, and that the sheep's bleeding was prolonged and it took a few days to recover. With the teeth, they bled for a couple seconds that got up and walked around like nothing happened.
He also talked about it on Adam Carolla's radio show and podcast. The animal rights approved method of sheep castration is to tie a rubber band around the testicles and wait for them to shrivel up and fall off. Mike actually asked the shepherd about that, who proceeded to demonstrate why they don't do that. They tied up the lamb's balls and let it go and it immediately fell over and just sort of groaned on the ground. The shepherd said that it took almost a week to finish.

So yeah. Biting the balls, it turns out, is the most humane way.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
When's the next Mythbusters episode? And when is Kari back?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I loved that part! But -- where did he get the hose?!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Motor City Motors really is a crappy show. I just watched the episode where they took an army truck, added a combine, and then put a giant grill on the back of it. All I could think about while I watched them eat through a cornfield (in the middle of Detroit :wtc:) was how all that food could have gone towards the community instead of being shredded and burnt.

Yeah, the criteria for "success" is definitely much different than on Monster Garage. The brother they put in charge of that build is absolutely clueless as to what it takes to be a leader too - his leadership style is exactly what you need to do if you want all your workers to revolt on you.

Anyone watching Howe and Howe Tech? The first two episodes have been interesting and I'm keeping my season pass to see where it goes. I was afraid we'd see American Chopper levels of family drama, but so far it seems pretty mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rowe's an avowed conservative
He very well may be, but I'm curious as to where you were able to find that information.

I'm saying that because he really doesn't seem like it. He's pro-science and pro-workers' rights, neither of which are really a "conservative" ideal.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 24, 2010

• Locked thread