Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Will Verizon or Sprint let me rock a Mifi and a USB broadband dongle on the same account for that $60?

I wish the GSM Mifi would come out already so I could just swap a SIM back and forth.

No. It would be like having 2 phones on one phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint with contract you can get the Moment or Hero at $179 (after $100 mail in rebate) with the Everything Data plan of $69.99. Plan includes unlimited calling to any cell phone (verizon, att, sprint whatever), unlimited text, unlimited data, navigation, etc. 450 mins for calling landlines, nights/weekends at 7pm. You CAN get a discount on this plan, which is what makes it that much cooler.

Why would you not recommend EPRP over Everything Data? More minutes, less cost.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint with contract you can get the Moment or Hero at $179 (after $100 mail in rebate) with the Everything Data plan of $69.99.
Any questions just let me know.

Current contract status: Just resigned a new contact with Sprint back in August.

I currently have 4 phones on Sprint (HTC Touch 2 Pro, 2 Blackberry Curves, and Exclaim).

All my phones are on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan with Sprint. Basically I want to replace one of my lines on a phone I got in August with the HTC Hero.

So can I get a HTC Hero at $179 by renewing my contact with the exact same plan I am on now? I want to do this but I am worried the fact I already have the plan and that I have just got phones (and contact) 4 months will keep me from getting it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Duckman2008 posted:

No. It would be like having 2 phones on one phone number.

Which works just fine with a SIM card, which is why I was asking. I only want to use one at any given time. Oh well.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently with Sprint using a Treo 800w (SERO) that I've had to replace 5 times, and I'm under contract until Oct of this year. I doubt any better phones are coming to SERO so I want to move on & keep my phone number. I get 20% off Sprint plans through work, and 19% of Verizon so I was hoping to either get a Samsung Moment or Palm Pre from ebay and upgrade my plan and stick with Sprint. Or maybe go to Verizon for a Droid and superior service since I live in NYC. I text a lot more than talk, I don't think I've ever gone over the 450 minutes on SERO. I also don't think I can get entirely used to a software keyboard. What do you guys recommend?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

# Country/Provider: USA/ATT

# Current contract status: I'm on the iPhone contract that I got when the original iPhone came up. They changed it when the 3G came out but I'm not too sure on the details. I am eligible for an upgrade. Edit: I am willing to switch to Verizon.

# Budget (phone/plan): Up to ~$300

# Features I know I want: I would like to get a touch screen phone that functions as an MP3 player and has apps (such as twitter, ESPN, facebook, weather, etc). I'd like a camera but it's not a deal breaker. I love my iPhone, and I'll probably end up getting a 3GS, but I'd like to see if there is anything comparable. I know nothing about cellphones but I've seen adds for similar phones like the Android.

I would like something that will sync up with my Macbook (preferably will download MP3s from my itunes folder, I don't generally download directly to the phone) because I tend to crash my phones quite a bit so it's nice to have something that will back up easily.

Deal Breakers:
MP3 Player
Apps
Sync'ability

Wants but not necessary:
Camera/Video
Any other gadgetry such as GPS.

My current iPhone is broken so I will probably be getting a new one tomorrow. Let me know ASAP.

It seems like after doing some research that it's between Droid (and switching to Verizon) or 3GS.

It appears that Droid is the better phone, except when it comes to syncability with my Mac, and MP3 player. Can anyone comment on a Droid vs. 3GS comparison?

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 11, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Less-common request:

How to not waste money on my current plan while deployed to Kandahar, but not lose my number?

Current contract: AT&T, been on for years and have no current obligation

Paying: ~$50/mo

Have: lovely 2005 Sony Ericsson I've been meaning to replace for years, but holding off because I go overseas a lot and don't want to bust a nice phone.

While I'm deployed I'll get an Afghan cellphone, and could theoretically put that SIM into my phone, but I'm sure the Afghan phone won't be any worse than my current one.

So basically I want to ditch this phone and buy a nice phone when I get back, and I don't want to pay $50/mo for a phone I'm not using. I don't think there's any $10/mo plan on AT&T, so is there some "hold this number" company that can preserve my number until I return and transfer it to a new phone?

Yes, I'm aware that some companies can put a hold on your phone for military deployments, but a) I'm going as a civilian b) AT&T adds two years of contract obligation for that service. Suggestions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Why would you not recommend EPRP over Everything Data? More minutes, less cost.

Because I have not known of its existence. I sell Sprint, but i work for an indirect store, so i can't sell that plan so i have not known of it. Checking it out over on the Sprint plan, obviously if you can get it great.

@Nate Fisher the problem is you just resigned contracts. Did you get new phones/contracts on ALL 4 lines (looks like you did)? You can use the upgrade on any phone for any line.

You are on the data plan which means you are a premier customer (or should be). Your MAINLINE is eligible for an upgrade every year, so just give it another 8 months. The phones you got are all pretty good phones.

Hey quick question, what is SERO stand for, still getting used to the abbreviations here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Miss Fats posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/ATT

# Current contract status: I'm on the iPhone contract that I got when the original iPhone came up. They changed it when the 3G came out but I'm not too sure on the details. I am eligible for an upgrade. Edit: I am willing to switch to Verizon.

# Budget (phone/plan): Up to ~$300

# Features I know I want: I would like to get a touch screen phone that functions as an MP3 player and has apps (such as twitter, ESPN, facebook, weather, etc). I'd like a camera but it's not a deal breaker. I love my iPhone, and I'll probably end up getting a 3GS, but I'd like to see if there is anything comparable. I know nothing about cellphones but I've seen adds for similar phones like the Android.

I would like something that will sync up with my Macbook (preferably will download MP3s from my itunes folder, I don't generally download directly to the phone) because I tend to crash my phones quite a bit so it's nice to have something that will back up easily.

Deal Breakers:
MP3 Player
Apps
Sync'ability

Wants but not necessary:
Camera/Video
Any other gadgetry such as GPS.

My current iPhone is broken so I will probably be getting a new one tomorrow. Let me know ASAP.

It seems like after doing some research that it's between Droid (and switching to Verizon) or 3GS.

It appears that Droid is the better phone, except when it comes to syncability with my Mac, and MP3 player. Can anyone comment on a Droid vs. 3GS comparison?

They're both great phones, and ATT and Verizon have the same exact monthly plans. Verizon DEF has a better network, but i will admit ATT is great, just their 3G network is a bit screwed up and not as expansive.

I use the G1 and have a Mac. Does not "sync" yet (rumor is they are working on that, but just a rumor), but it basically acts as a flash drive. So when i throw music on it, i just drag and drop. Not as pretty as the iPhone, but I personally prefer it anyway for organization.

They will both do what you want them to do. in terms of "syncing" it depends on what you want to sync. If you use ANYTHING google Droid beats the pants of iPhone, Android does a fantastic job at integrating gmail, gcal and all that. iPhone of course will sync much better with ical, itunes, mobile me, anything apple. If you use yahoo get iphone, for whatever reason android has loads of trouble with yahoo. Both are even on exchange support, fairy good but not near as good as blackberry.

Only difference on GPS is Droid has FREE turn by turn directions.

Keep in mind apple is probably releasing a new iphone in June. Any software will work with the 3GS, just something to remind you of.

Also, just because you are eligible for an ATT upgrade does not mean you are out of contract. I would check.

Verizon has the better network and i personally love Android, it is more versatile than Apple and can do more. But, its really a personal preference. If you are really happy with ATT, love iphone, just stick with what you really like.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

@Nate Fisher the problem is you just resigned contracts. Did you get new phones/contracts on ALL 4 lines (looks like you did)? You can use the upgrade on any phone for any line.

You are on the data plan which means you are a premier customer (or should be). Your MAINLINE is eligible for an upgrade every year, so just give it another 8 months. The phones you got are all pretty good phones.

That was I thought. I just have google phone fever. I just missed a HTC Hero brand new on SA Mart for $250.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I don't use much google yet, but I am working as a professional political operative and a lot of what the campaigns I work on do is use GCal etc. which is why I'm looking into that (plus GPS is crucial when I'm out of my home area). I think I will seriously look into the droid tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Miss Fats posted:

I don't use much google yet, but I am working as a professional political operative and a lot of what the campaigns I work on do is use GCal etc. which is why I'm looking into that (plus GPS is crucial when I'm out of my home area). I think I will seriously look into the droid tomorrow.

I am a hardcore GCal user, Android all the way.

Note, iPhone will do it (i have an ipod touch) but it will not be quite as good. If you get an iphone let me know, i know how to setup push for Gmail, GCal and contacts.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Because I have not known of its existence. I sell Sprint, but i work for an indirect store, so i can't sell that plan so i have not known of it. Checking it out over on the Sprint plan, obviously if you can get it great.

Hey quick question, what is SERO stand for, still getting used to the abbreviations here.

You can't sell EPRP in a store it's web-only. It's the employee referral plan that's $59/month, 500 minutes and exactly like Everything Data otherwise, the family plan version is $110 for 2 lines and $15 for each additional line, making a 5-line plan a steal (about $35/month per line). If you want a Blackberry or Pre, it's the way to go. See the Sprint thread OP for details, anyone can get it.

SERO was the old Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Sprint sold a 500 minute version of Everything Data for $30/month only requiring an employee's email address to sign up. The best deal in the history of cell phone plans. Fatwallet quickly made them regret this and they're trying to get rid of it by not allowing newer phones on the plan (Pre, Android, Pixi, etc.), the Touch Pro 2 is the only newer phone allowed on the plan.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
  • Country/Provider: USA (Upstate NY) / AT&T

• Current contract status: None

• Budget (phone/plan): On the phone, I'm pretty flexible. On the plan I'd rather stay in the $60 and under range if at all possible.

• Features I know I want: Android OS on a phone that will support current and upcoming versions of Android, minimum voice and txt, but unlimited data.
As far as I know this leaves me with the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One... But the plans are so god damned confusing. Do I really have to pay a minimum of $80 a month? I do work at Best Buy so I know I can get some discounts.

I've been looking at T-Mobile's $60 plan with 500 minutes and unlimited everything else, but people tell me T-Mobile sucks. Is there a real reason to stay away from them if I'm in Northern Western New York? I really don't know. What other options are there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

• Country/Provider: USA (Upstate NY) / AT&T

• Current contract status: None

• Budget (phone/plan): On the phone, I'm pretty flexible. On the plan I'd rather stay in the $60 and under range if at all possible.

• Features I know I want: Android OS on a phone that will support current and upcoming versions of Android, minimum voice and txt, but unlimited data.
As far as I know this leaves me with the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One... But the plans are so god damned confusing. Do I really have to pay a minimum of $80 a month? I do work at Best Buy so I know I can get some discounts.

I've been looking at T-Mobile's $60 plan with 500 minutes and unlimited everything else, but people tell me T-Mobile sucks. Is there a real reason to stay away from them if I'm in Northern Western New York? I really don't know. What other options are there?

Check the TMo coverage map in your area.

I mean, its Verizon, TMobile, Sprint have Android. Def the newest ones are on Verizon and TMobile. If you want the best coverage Verizon and the Droid, just keep in mind its a bit more expensive a month.

No way you an do a Droid and stay in the $60 range. $30 for internet $20 for unlimited texting on Verizon (note ATT is the exact same).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No way you an do a Droid and stay in the $60 range. $30 for internet $20 for unlimited texting on Verizon (note ATT is the exact same).

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks, Duckman!

Like I said, I'm flexible on the price of the phone. Is it even an option to get something out of contract, and then to only pay for voice and data, but no text? I have google voice, and would like to do all my texting through that, but I don't know if it's feasible at all. That's probably more of a question for one of the android threads.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks, Duckman!

Like I said, I'm flexible on the price of the phone. Is it even an option to get something out of contract, and then to only pay for voice and data, but no text? I have google voice, and would like to do all my texting through that, but I don't know if it's feasible at all. That's probably more of a question for one of the android threads.

Ywah, but i gotcha covered here.

On Verizon you CAN have just Voice and Data, and with GVoice i highly recommend it. That will save you $20 on that texting, although you'll want to either A. Have $5 texting in case anyone textes that number or B. Block texting (GVoice goes through the internet, won't be blocked). Keep in mind GV does not get push, so it takes bout 5-15 mins to get texts in my experience.

So $39.99 for Voice (450 mins), $30 for data = $69.99 Minimum on Verizon plus tax. You are eligible for any corporate dscounts, plan does include Verizon-Verizon unlimited but NO fav 5. Fav 5 is on any higher voice plans.

In Verizon speak, that's the Basic 450 plan plus a smartphone data feature.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Good stuff. Thanks a lot for the info!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T
Current contract status: Ancient ATT Wireless plan, long out of contract.
Current Plan features: Family plan, 900 anytime mins, unl m2m, unl n&w, 3 lines.
Current Base charges: $83/month, bill is around $100 with tax, txts, etc
Budget (phone/plan): $300/not sure
Features I know I want:
Need unlimited data, texting would be nice (I don't use txt, but my mom and wife do), early nights/weekends would be needed to keep mins down, unl m2m, unl n&w.

Phones:
Me: I was thinking a BB Bold or a Droid or something like that.
Wife: iPhone in her dreams, but anything with web and a full kb.
mom: something cheap with full kb for txt.

So... I'm willing to go to Verizon, but Sprint SUCKS in my area according to people who have a Sprint plan. I'd go with a EPRP family plan, no problem. My boss is willing to help with the cost, so I don't have to carry 2 phones, and I don't use all their minutes on their company plan with AT&T.

Help!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T
Current contract status: Ancient ATT Wireless plan, long out of contract.
Current Plan features: Family plan, 900 anytime mins, unl m2m, unl n&w, 3 lines.
Current Base charges: $83/month, bill is around $100 with tax, txts, etc
Budget (phone/plan): $300/not sure
Features I know I want:
Need unlimited data, texting would be nice (I don't use txt, but my mom and wife do), early nights/weekends would be needed to keep mins down, unl m2m, unl n&w.

Phones:
Me: I was thinking a BB Bold or a Droid or something like that.
Wife: iPhone in her dreams, but anything with web and a full kb.
mom: something cheap with full kb for txt.

So... I'm willing to go to Verizon, but Sprint SUCKS in my area according to people who have a Sprint plan. I'd go with a EPRP family plan, no problem. My boss is willing to help with the cost, so I don't have to carry 2 phones, and I don't use all their minutes on their company plan with AT&T.

Help!

Some tips for either Verizon or AT&T.

A. You will have to update your plan when you upgrade or make changes. Just how they do it. Verizon and AT&T are the exact same price plans monthly.

B. Texting: If they are hue texters just get the everything unlimited ($30 a month for the family), if not $5 per line for 200. Just get the unlimited.

C. Data: Both companies add on $30 a month per line for data on Smartphones (Blackberry, iPhone, Palm, Nokia/Symbian, or WinMo). Absolutely required.

D. Both ATT and Verizon now have top ten, so you can put 10 phone numbers in addition to your unlimited M2M. Kinda nice. Not applicable on the lowest plans.

Example:
Verizon: Select Plan (unlimited Texting)
$179.99 for 3,000 mins
Unlimited Text included, all lines
$9.99 for 3rd line
$30 per smartphone line = $60 (assumption Wife gets smartphone)
N/W at 9pm, but you have top ten. Estimate $10-20 a month if you want earlier nights.

Total: $259.99 plus tax plus possible earlier nights. Also, factor in you could probably get a corporate discount depending on where you work. Could lower bill by $40 a month or maybe more if you don't need that many mins.

Would come out the same on ATT, they just call it something different.

I personally have found all smartphones to be really functional now a days, it really is a lot personal preference. Business email wise Blackberry still beats iPhone and Android. I personally love Android, the Droid is stellar, but i would also recommend Blackberry Bold 2/Tour, they really do great if overshadowed by iphone hype. Fianlly, i do feel android, because it is more open, offers more options than the iPhone.

Alos, for your wife if you go to Verizon check out the Palm Pre Plus, it will be there within a month and is a great phone for many people looking for that iPhone style. Or the Droid Eris.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 12, 2010

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the info. I've been asking some other folks, and the general consensus is: Wait a few months if possible, and let Android penetrate a little further. Ideally, I'd be able to get an Android phone that's rugged, and has a full kb.

Anyone know if you can "borrow" a phone on Sprint and see what the coverage is like? Do they have a cheap pay-as-you-go plan that I could take for a month, and try to use?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been asking some other folks, and the general consensus is: Wait a few months if possible, and let Android penetrate a little further. Ideally, I'd be able to get an Android phone that's rugged, and has a full kb.

Anyone know if you can "borrow" a phone on Sprint and see what the coverage is like? Do they have a cheap pay-as-you-go plan that I could take for a month, and try to use?

No way sprint will do that. I recommend trying out Virgin Mobile, they work off sprint towers so its similar, but still not the complete same. Better answer would be to borrow a friend's sprint phone for a day.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

You can sign up for Sprint and cancel the service within 30 days no questions asked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

You can sign up for Sprint and cancel the service within 30 days no questions asked.

True, but you will pay a restock fee (varies by store) and pay obviously for your service time.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
Current contract status: Expiring family plan (5 lines)
Budget (phone/plan): Under $200 per month, up to ~$500 for new phones
Features:
- Basic minutes / Unlimited texting
- Unlimited data / web
- I like Android phones and my sister is interested in a Blackberry
- Simpler phones for my parents, though GPS would be nice

I guess the big thing is we are interested in smartphones but I'm worried that unlimited data will be too expensive on Verizon. Would switching to Sprint be a better option?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

yuming posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
Current contract status: Expiring family plan (5 lines)
Budget (phone/plan): Under $200 per month, up to ~$500 for new phones
Features:
- Basic minutes / Unlimited texting
- Unlimited data / web
- I like Android phones and my sister is interested in a Blackberry
- Simpler phones for my parents, though GPS would be nice

I guess the big thing is we are interested in smartphones but I'm worried that unlimited data will be too expensive on Verizon. Would switching to Sprint be a better option?

Yes, sprint would be a better option. 5 lines on Everything Data 1500 is 190/month. if you get > 15% corporate discount, this is the way to go. If not, EPRP is probably the way to go (155/month for 5 lines).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

This is sort of a general question about cell phones, and I can't think of anywhere else to put it.

How often do carriers get new phones? Monthly? Quarterly? My contract ends around August, and I wanted to at least plan new options into my research.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Currently have a line with a terrible Sidekick 3 under my Dad; my plan is customized with unlimited text and data for $30/month (no voicemails and phone calling minutes). However, I am going to have my own line whenever my dad calls in for a change of responsibility.

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend $100-300 to upgrade from Sidekick 3, and willing to spend $30-50/month on plan

Features I know I want: Easy-to-use text/Gmail interfaces (like the iPhone or Android phones), QWERTY keyboard preferred but not necessary, and applications. I have been looking at the Nexus One and iPhone for sometime now but their prices are too high for me. I'd like to upgrade to the Nexus One but I don't really think I want to sign to 2 more years under T-Mobile with their Even More individual 500 Plan. I am deaf, so I don't need voicemails or phone calling minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

audist posted:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Currently have a line with a terrible Sidekick 3 under my Dad; my plan is customized with unlimited text and data for $30/month (no voicemails and phone calling minutes). However, I am going to have my own line whenever my dad calls in for a change of responsibility.

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend $100-300 to upgrade from Sidekick 3, and willing to spend $30-50/month on plan

Features I know I want: Easy-to-use text/Gmail interfaces (like the iPhone or Android phones), QWERTY keyboard preferred but not necessary, and applications. I have been looking at the Nexus One and iPhone for sometime now but their prices are too high for me. I'd like to upgrade to the Nexus One but I don't really think I want to sign to 2 more years under T-Mobile with their Even More individual 500 Plan. I am deaf, so I don't need voicemails or phone calling minutes.

You should be able to keep your plan data and text only. All carriers do offer that option, they just don't like people A. knowing and B. they do charge more than if you bundled data on a voice plan. Ex: on Verizon i believe it is $40-50 for just data only (no text), whereas it is $30 on a voice plan. Not sure on TMo's plans but i am sure they can do something similar.

As long as you are happy with TMo stick with it. It sounds like you want Android, that Nexus 1 is the most badass and powerful, but there are other options. I'd recommend the MyTouch, you can get your data plan, and either pay for the phone outright or setup a paymen plan of $xx a month for the phone over xx amount of time. No contract. Very nice.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Which one of these is the least crappy?: http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/b_showphone.html?zip=53511&mkt=607780&tm=0

My primary concerns are:
-Easy to transfer photos, videos, and music/ringtones (that I make myself) between the phone and the PC.
-Ability to connect to wi-fi to browse the internet (I don't want or need over-the-network internet since I don't want to pay for that extra service)
-Availability of applications and games for the phone from the internet. I know this one's a longshot since USCellular is really lame and locks phones down to only get things from their EasyEdge service, but I'm hoping maybe some of the newer smartphones have better capabilities in this regard. I'd love to be able to even have tetris or something on the phone. Just something to do when I'm stuck in line or something.

Edit: Blackberries are out of the question because I refuse to sign up for their mandatory monthly service. Does anybody know if USCellular forces you to buy their internet plan when you buy a smartphone? I'm just tired of having a crappy little flipphone from the stoneage.

mobn fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 14, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

Which one of these is the least crappy?: http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/b_showphone.html?zip=53511&mkt=607780&tm=0

My primary concerns are:
-Easy to transfer photos, videos, and music/ringtones (that I make myself) between the phone and the PC.
-Ability to connect to wi-fi to browse the internet (I don't want or need over-the-network internet since I don't want to pay for that extra service)
-Availability of applications and games for the phone from the internet. I know this one's a longshot since USCellular is really lame and locks phones down to only get things from their EasyEdge service, but I'm hoping maybe some of the newer smartphones have better capabilities in this regard. I'd love to be able to even have tetris or something on the phone. Just something to do when I'm stuck in line or something.

Edit: Blackberries are out of the question because I refuse to sign up for their mandatory monthly service. Does anybody know if USCellular forces you to buy their internet plan when you buy a smartphone? I'm just tired of having a crappy little flipphone from the stoneage.

If US Cellular is like any other provider they will require data plans with smartphones. Almost all phones with WiFi are smartphones. Looks like your stuck. Only possible solution is WinMo, since those phones have been around a while sometimes carriers are willing to let customers get them on lower plans and then block the data. But this usually kills pic messaging, and usually wi fi no longer works anyway.

New blackberry curve is otherwise exactly what you want. Gotta pay more to get more now a days.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Duckman2008 posted:

If US Cellular is like any other provider they will require data plans with smartphones. Almost all phones with WiFi are smartphones. Looks like your stuck. Only possible solution is WinMo, since those phones have been around a while sometimes carriers are willing to let customers get them on lower plans and then block the data. But this usually kills pic messaging, and usually wi fi no longer works anyway.

New blackberry curve is otherwise exactly what you want. Gotta pay more to get more now a days.

Okay, well that puts that requirement right out the window. I cannot afford the 20-25 dollars a month they want for internet service. Will the Motorola Crush do the other things I want? It looks like the least crap of the remaining options. Otherwise I guess I'm stuck just getting a less ancient flip phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

Okay, well that puts that requirement right out the window. I cannot afford the 20-25 dollars a month they want for internet service. Will the Motorola Crush do the other things I want? It looks like the least crap of the remaining options. Otherwise I guess I'm stuck just getting a less ancient flip phone.

Yeah, any keypad non-smartphone is your best bet.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
hey, Newegg is currently having a sale which includes an unlocked Palm Treo 750 for $130, is it worth it to upgrade from my POS Pantech Matrix, or are there bugs or issues with it that make it less worthwhile?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

hey, Newegg is currently having a sale which includes an unlocked Palm Treo 750 for $130, is it worth it to upgrade from my POS Pantech Matrix, or are there bugs or issues with it that make it less worthwhile?

Do you have a data plan? ATT, or any carrier, would now require a data plan with that phone. Call them first and check.

Treo 750 is a great phone, just older. I prefer the Palm software over WinMo. Not near as elegant now as Palm WebOS, but good.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you have a data plan? ATT, or any carrier, would now require a data plan with that phone. Call them first and check.

Treo 750 is a great phone, just older. I prefer the Palm software over WinMo. Not near as elegant now as Palm WebOS, but good.

I might have to upgrade from my current $10 a month to a $30 a month plan, but now that I have a job it's an expense I can afford. When the time came for me to upgrade this summer, I was out of a job and out of money, so I had to opt for a free phone. Now that I have a little bit of disposable income I can afford that sort of thing. I'm seriously considering that, unless you can recommend a better phone for under $150.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I might have to upgrade from my current $10 a month to a $30 a month plan, but now that I have a job it's an expense I can afford. When the time came for me to upgrade this summer, I was out of a job and out of money, so I had to opt for a free phone. Now that I have a little bit of disposable income I can afford that sort of thing. I'm seriously considering that, unless you can recommend a better phone for under $150.

Well with a two year contract blackberries should be in that range, but it sounds like you aren't due for an upgrade. Just Keep in mind palm isn't innovating much with Treo software, its def a solid solid phone, just don't expect updates.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I think I'll go for it.

I'm also not getting any updates on my Matrix, even though it's missing most of the extra features that pretty much all other phones have (no option on the calendar for repeating events, and no option at all to customize the UI or home screen, for example). The hardware design is pretty cool, but the operating system was seriously half-assed.

Thanks for your advice Duckman.

thongbutt
May 9, 2008

What Are You Wearing Today?
  • Country/Provider: United States / Verizon Wireless

• Current contract status: Available for a phone Upgrade

• Budget (phone/plan): <$70, Buying it with a 2 year contract / My mom pays for the basic plan and a $10 texting plan but beyond that, I pay for the rest

• Features I know I want: QWERTY Keyboard mainly

Ok, So the reason I'm getting a new phone is the vibration mode on my current phone has pretty much died and I solely use Vibrate mode: For text messages, my alarm, calls, etc... I don't do too many calls but I do some texting. Lately it's been between 1500-2500 texts a month. I have the 5000 extra texts plan with Verizon.

Now to the actual phone choice. I went into the Verizon store today to get a feel for the phones; how they work/look, the feel of the keyboard (Placement of the symbol keys are important (I saw some phones with the "?" "," "'" keys around the "T" "Y" keys which does not work) and I particularly liked the LG enV3 and LG enV Touch with how the keys are place, spacing, look and feel. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two, but I wasn't able to get a feel for how long the battery last (don't trust all of the reviews on the Verizon site because it can be mixed with some people sounding like they judge too quickly or don't like things if they don't work exactly how they want), how reliable and durable the phone is, things like that. In my area (I don't know if this is true about others) they are both selling for $49.99 with the 2 year plan and online discounts from the Verizon site.

thongbutt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
* Country/Provider: New Hampshire, USA / Verizon

* Current contract status: N/A

* Budget (phone/plan): N/A

* Features I know I want: RECEPTION

I'm currently using a Samsung Saga which is one of the worst phones I have ever owned. I would like to have a full keyboard and be able to connect to company's exchange server, but more than anything I would like the phone to ring when someone calls me!

Is there a Verizon phone that just plain has good reception?