Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My period was due yesterday, but it's still not here yet. No spotting, cramping or any other impending period signs. Stopped at Walmart to buy tests, but I'm resisting the urge to pee on a stick til tomorrow morning. ANXIOUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Chickalicious posted:

My period was due yesterday, but it's still not here yet. No spotting, cramping or any other impending period signs. Stopped at Walmart to buy tests, but I'm resisting the urge to pee on a stick til tomorrow morning. ANXIOUS.

Good luck! *fingers crossed*

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I have my fingers crossed for you too, Chickalicious!!!

JelloShot
Sep 29, 2003
I want you I need you oh baby oh baby.

yawnie posted:

So my fiance and I are actually trying to avoid getting pregnant but I figured I'd get a better answer here than in the birth control thread, as we're using charting/NFP as our "birth control".

If you're interested in peeing on things as an NFP method, you might want to sign up for this study. I got into the Fertility Monitor group. Haven't actually gotten to start yet, but it looks pretty cool.

http://www.nfpworksblog.com/2009/02/12/marquette-u-seeks-participants-for-nfp-study/

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Chickalicious, I am hoping for you!

For anyone interested in my fertility update--I finished the progestrin (promethrin) the day before yesterday. It definitely made me somewhat irritable, but knowing it was a possibility my husband, toddler and I took it in stride, for the most part (did I mention that we are in the middle of a do it yourself home reno project??) Next up--Clomid. I just really want my little guy to have a sibling.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I have my fingers crossed Chickalicious!!!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Nthing the finger-crossing Chick.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Does anyone here have experience getting pregnant after Mirena? I had a Mirena for 2 years and had it taken out in August after I got married. I had one period in November--I hadn't had ANY at all during my 2 years on Mirena--and that's it. The lack of period makes it hard for me to track any sort of ovulation schedule; I tried taking my basal temperature for about a month, but the resulting graph looked like an ad for zig-zags since my temperature seems to randomly go between 96 and 98, and I'm constantly sick with a cold so sometimes it shoots up to 99 or 100. There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern whatsoever, or maybe I'm just dumb :(.

My doctor said that it could take up to a year for fertility to return, but I'm just frustrated since I seem to be unable to even track my cycle properly, much less attempt to get pregnant. Before I went on hormonal birth control, my periods were on a ridiculous 40ish day cycle anyways. I'm pretty sure I just have to wait it out until all the bits down there realize that hey, now we're TRYING to have a kid, but it's just annoying having to wait and not even having a period.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Like me, you could still be ovulating without actually bleeding (I hadn't had an actual period in like seven months when I got pregnant). If basal temperature tracking isn't working for you, try tracking cervical mucous, and if you can afford them, using ovulation strips (you can get them inexpensively on early-pregnancy-tests.com). If you keep tracking your basal temperature too, you might begin to notice patterns when it relates to how your CM is acting as well.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Banana Cat posted:

Does anyone here have experience getting pregnant after Mirena? I had a Mirena for 2 years and had it taken out in August after I got married. I had one period in November--I hadn't had ANY at all during my 2 years on Mirena--and that's it. The lack of period makes it hard for me to track any sort of ovulation schedule; I tried taking my basal temperature for about a month, but the resulting graph looked like an ad for zig-zags since my temperature seems to randomly go between 96 and 98, and I'm constantly sick with a cold so sometimes it shoots up to 99 or 100. There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern whatsoever, or maybe I'm just dumb :(.

My doctor said that it could take up to a year for fertility to return, but I'm just frustrated since I seem to be unable to even track my cycle properly, much less attempt to get pregnant. Before I went on hormonal birth control, my periods were on a ridiculous 40ish day cycle anyways. I'm pretty sure I just have to wait it out until all the bits down there realize that hey, now we're TRYING to have a kid, but it's just annoying having to wait and not even having a period.

I don't have any experience with Mirena, but if your doctor said that it could take a year until your fertility returns, then you may be tracking your cycle properly, but your body hasn't become fertile again so you won't have the usual temperature graph of someone who ovulates. I agree with FITD that you should start tracking cervical fluid, but if you aren't ovulating, tracking it may give you the same kind of results that you are getting from your thermometer. If you don't have it, I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It has a ton of helpful information about tracking cycles, trying to conceive, birth control, and so on.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

loving fail. I woke up at 6am and had to pee so I was going to test. Got to the bathroom and my period had started. I am so loving angry.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
:( Good luck next time.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I'm sorry Chickalicious. :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

loving fail. I woke up at 6am and had to pee so I was going to test. Got to the bathroom and my period had started. I am so loving angry.

At least you didn't waste a pregnancy test!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Alterian posted:

At least you didn't waste a pregnancy test!

How very glass half full of you. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Sorry Chickalicious. Sending you good thoughts for next month!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

How very glass half full of you. :)

Pregnancy tests can be expensive. I hate taking one and getting a negative and getting my period an hour later.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Chickalicious posted:

I'm sorry Chickalicious :( Good luck next month!

Edit: Smilie face was supposed to be a frowny face. drat parentheses buttons being next to each other!

Grayscale Rainbow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 27, 2010

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Like me, you could still be ovulating without actually bleeding (I hadn't had an actual period in like seven months when I got pregnant). If basal temperature tracking isn't working for you, try tracking cervical mucous, and if you can afford them, using ovulation strips (you can get them inexpensively on early-pregnancy-tests.com). If you keep tracking your basal temperature too, you might begin to notice patterns when it relates to how your CM is acting as well.

Well color me surprised, I didn't know you could ovulate without having a period. I had been using the strips (which I learned about by reading earlier pages of this thread), had detected a surge in October, and exactly two weeks later had my one period in November. Then I didn't get my period again and ran out of testing strips and so assumed there was no ovulation going on, so I didn't bother ordering more.

I'll definitely look into the book suggested. But if I do order more strips, should I just test every day until I detect something?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's what I did, and I tested twice daily when the line began to get darker. Got us knocked up on the first try. :)

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Banana Cat posted:

Well color me surprised, I didn't know you could ovulate without having a period.

You can also have a period without ovulating. That was my problem, but we got it all sorted out quickly, I'm 21 weeks pregnant now.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

edit

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2011

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Insurrectum: To my knowledge, no, you cannot induce a period by eating a lot. The skinny women your friend is talking about who miss periods most likely have amenorrhea, which can be caused by very low body weight and not eating enough (at the level of starvation, not just missing a meal). When this happens your body doesn't have enough energy (through food or stored fat) to sustain itself, so your body prioritizes and in terms of survival the reproductive system isn't as important. To regain one's menstrual cycle one would have to gain enough weight for your body not to be in starvation mode and maintain that weight. However, depending on how long a woman didn't have her period, her reproductive system could be permanently damaged. I'm not an expert on this by any means; what I am saying here is the knowledge that I've accumulated by researching it on my own and I hope anyone who knows more about it will correct me if I'm mistaken in any way. Amenorrhea can have other causes as well, but since the question dealt with being very thin, I'll stop here.

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
I always get really hungry right before my period.

It's probably that, if anything.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, I don't think she's making her period come faster by eating. It sounds more like she gets really hungry before it comes and eats-- that's actually pretty common.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Having really low body fat and general malnourishment can keep you from getting your period, but eating a ton right before isn't going to help either of those things significantly.

I too become a ravenous beast in the week or so before my period.

I am about to have my third period since coming off the pill, and I don't think I've ovulated at all yet. My basal temp goes up slightly about 2 weeks before my period comes, but there is absolutely no change in my cervical mucous. We aren't trying yet, so I'm not TOO worried, but I also have my yearly gyn check-up in March. If I'm still not ovulating by then, should I ask about it? I know it can take a while sometimes when coming off the pill.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Just for shits and giggles, get some cheap ovu strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com. If your three cycles since coming off the pill have been regular, you should be able to guess when to start testing for an LH surge. If they haven't been, start testing a week or so after your period ends. It could be that your mucous just isn't a good indicator for you. But if your basal temp rises coincide with an LH surge detected by the ovu strips, it's a pretty good indication that you are ovulating.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, from what I've read the pill can gently caress up the part of your cervix that produces the mucus, and it can take it a while to start producing again. It's perfectly possible that you are ovulating and just not getting the fertile-quality stuff. I've heard it can take up to 6 months for some ladies; I hope that won't be the case for you. :/ I think it was about 3 for me before I started seeing anything of note. A temperature rise is really the best indicator that you've ovulated, but unfortunately it doesn't really help you *predict* anything.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
A little update from me: It's been 3.5 weeks since the surgery for my ectopic and I haven't started my period again yet. I know some women can take months to start it after an ectopic and tubal removal - I really hope that's not me! I want to get pregnant again dammit!

I hope some of the rest of you are having some success, or at least having fun trying! :)

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003
Alias the nuisance grounds
My husband and I have plans to make a baby in September/October-ish, but there is one problem: I work in EMS and therefore lift a lot.

My old job used to put pregnant woman on light duty (admin work, stocking, etc. etc.) but I recently took a job with another area and have since learned they don't do this. This therefore means that in order to spend my maternity leave year with my baby I would have to work the whole 9 months of my pregnancy on the ambulance.

I know there is "rumour" of women not being able to lift anything heavy, blah blah, but every article I read states this is false. I obviously wouldn't lift any overly large patients.

What does everyone think of me continuing employment on the ambulance while pregnant?

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

My husband and I have plans to make a baby in September/October-ish, but there is one problem: I work in EMS and therefore lift a lot.

My old job used to put pregnant woman on light duty (admin work, stocking, etc. etc.) but I recently took a job with another area and have since learned they don't do this. This therefore means that in order to spend my maternity leave year with my baby I would have to work the whole 9 months of my pregnancy on the ambulance.

I know there is "rumour" of women not being able to lift anything heavy, blah blah, but every article I read states this is false. I obviously wouldn't lift any overly large patients.

What does everyone think of me continuing employment on the ambulance while pregnant?

It may depend on what your doctor tells you. I work as an RN and I'm not on any restrictions right now (although I'm only 7 1/2 weeks pregnant), and my doctor told me I should try not to lift more than 25 pounds if I can help it. Of course, that's nearly impossible given my job. I know that there's another goonette in the pregnancy thread that's a nurse (Pixi, I think) that may be able to chime in, as she's further along than me. Ambulance work may be a little different though; you're the first responder and therefore may not know what you are going into. That would be a tough decision to make.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

Unless your doctor puts restrictions on you, there should be no reason for you to not be able to satisfy the demands of your job =)

(I'm a big fan of people who save lives, btw =D)

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003
Alias the nuisance grounds

Gumby Orgy posted:

Unless your doctor puts restrictions on you, there should be no reason for you to not be able to satisfy the demands of your job =)

(I'm a big fan of people who save lives, btw =D)

Thanks so much!!

Ma_NiC - you are right about not knowing what I'm going into. Violence is a HUGE concern for me (I work the inner city in the large Metropolis) so that is something I'm factoring in as well. Bulletproof vests don't fit over baby bellies.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I got my period a few days ago :( However, my luteal phase was 13 days long, which I take to be a good thing, since all other luteal phases have been between 7 and 9 days long since I started charting. TCOYF has helped me understand what my body is doing, but I don't know why it does what it does. I think it just wants to mess with me. TCOYF says your luteal phase shouldn't vary from month to month and yet mine does. I just wish I knew why. I'd think I was charting wrong, but the ovulation test strips are corroborating evidence :iiam:

I didn't get my hopes up as high this month, so it wasn't as much of a let down to find out I wasn't pregnant. Obviously I'm disappointed, but maybe I'm more realistic about how long it's going to take to get pregnant now. Even though I knew, intellectually, that it can take a while to get pregnant, I don't think I knew it emotionally, if that makes sense to anyone else.

So, here's to hoping that the longer luteal phase is a happy sign. And if anyone has any idea what can cause your luteal phase to change length every month, the information would be greatly appreciated.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

OMG!

YAY!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

OMG!

YAY!

Yay! Congrats! That is a daaaark line! :D

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Good luck, Longpig! We're all rooting for you!

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
Congrats! I'm pulling for you and your line!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Wow that's a dark line - congrats!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yay Longpig! I'm rooting for you!

• Locked thread