Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
It's been a loooooooooooooong time since I got new gear, but we just got the proceeds from a legal settlement and I decided to indulge myself just a little bit.

Excuse the general mess, we're in the middle of moving.
Not shown: other guitars, etc. The amps aren't new, but the guitar, bass and pedals are.
The pic doesn't really do justice to the finish on the bass, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Daughter posted:

Looks nice. Does it sound like $40?

It sounds like a million bucks, but it tunes like $40. :( Part of that could be the new strings, but I'm sure the tuners have their say in the matter. It's a good thing I'm not fond of bending strings while playing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

It sounds like a million bucks, but it tunes like $40. :( Part of that could be the new strings, but I'm sure the tuners have their say in the matter. It's a good thing I'm not fond of bending strings while playing.
That and those old Teisco bridges dont intonate at all. If you've been wanting to play slide, now could be the time to start ;)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Someone here has a Kirn, right? I've been considering a build from him to sate my ever growing desire of a Jazzmaster.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

That and those old Teisco bridges dont intonate at all. If you've been wanting to play slide, now could be the time to start ;)

Nah, this is going to be my "I've been listening to Maps & Atlases a little more than usual, and I want to be Dave Davison" guitar.

Burger King Bathroom
Jan 11, 2005

Arbeit macht LOL
I have a love/hate relationship with my Zildjians. I love the brightness but hate the lack of the coveted Bonhamian earthy attack. 2002's would have that but I keep buying these anyway.

Being a somewhat heavy handed drummer is ridiculously expensive. Nobody's fault but mine. Drummers are stupid and I'm stupid. :downsrim:

My phone's camera is laughably bad, so here's a stock photo.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I bought a Harmony H-802. This guitar is Indie as gently caress.

:smug:

My guitarist has pretty much that same guitar, but with Silvertone on the headstock! It sounds wonderful with a little bit of grit and reverb. FYI the previous owner replaced the tuners, though.

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Yes indeed, YCV40T
I need at least two speakers or it isn't manly enough!!

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Someone here has a Kirn, right? I've been considering a build from him to sate my ever growing desire of a Jazzmaster.

I've had a Kirn tele for a while, and absolutely love it. Quality wise, I'd say my basic, bottom of the like Kirn tele is on par with the couple Fender CS teles I've played. Ron is also great to work with, he'll spend as much (or as little) time as you need discussing things.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

wilkenm posted:

I've had a Kirn tele for a while, and absolutely love it. Quality wise, I'd say my basic, bottom of the like Kirn tele is on par with the couple Fender CS teles I've played. Ron is also great to work with, he'll spend as much (or as little) time as you need discussing things.
Good, because I just ordered a guitar from him! It's gonna look a little something like this:

Now I just have to survive the next 6 to 8 weeks without dying from sheer excitement.

e: Ash body, white blonde finish, one piece quartersawn maple neck / 7.25" / soft V, Mastery bridge, Novak pickups

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Carbohydrates posted:

Good, because I just ordered a guitar from him! It's gonna look a little something like this:

Now I just have to survive the next 6 to 8 weeks without dying from sheer excitement.

e: Ash body, white blonde finish, one piece quartersawn maple neck / 7.25" / soft V, Mastery bridge, Novak pickups

That's a beautiful guitar. :)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh my word.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Starting a new pedalboard build this weekend.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Got this on Tuesday, to dive headfirst into digital music production. I only played around a little in Auditon so far, but since a friend introduced me to the Ableton Live demo right before Christmas, I knew what my Christmas present for myself would be this year :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Starting a new pedalboard build this weekend.
My guitarist is having me build him a pedalboard! Where are you getting your carpet, or how is yours gonna work?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

My guitarist is having me build him a pedalboard! Where are you getting your carpet, or how is yours gonna work?

No carpet. Gonna mark for strips of velcro, then tape those placements up, then paint the whole thing with some rustoleum textured paint.

Gonna be a tiered board. Basically trying to replicate this:

But he used bikechain links to attach it all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

No carpet. Gonna mark for strips of velcro, then tape those placements up, then paint the whole thing with some rustoleum textured paint.

Gonna be a tiered board. Basically trying to replicate this:

Ooo, awesome! Can't wait for the "in progress" posts :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Then its hopefully going to fit into this w/ little modification (foam removal)

http://www.odysseygear.com/products/sku/fz1200.html

Dupree9973
Dec 16, 2003
Leather goods sold here.

Scarf posted:

Can someone please explain the term "bikechain" to me? I'm not familiar with its use in the context of a pedal board at all.

Is it some sort of special patch cable between the pedals?

Thanks

*edit* I think I see it now, pop rivets through links to physically hold the pedals to the board?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dupree9973 posted:

Can someone please explain the term "bikechain" to me? I'm not familiar with its use in the context of a pedal board at all.

Thanks

*edit* I think I see it now, pop rivets through links to physically hold the pedals to the board?

Yup, you pop the link apart and use the piece circled below:

You remove the screws from the baseplate of the pedal, then screw it back with the link-piece attached, then attach the open hole to the pedalboard via screw as well.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Dupree9973 posted:

Thanks

It's illustrated here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2826944&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post359013374

GLC
Feb 21, 2001
What's the advantage of using the bike chain method versus velcro? I've never had a problem with good velcro failing to hold things in place, and swapping pedals around or replacing things is a lot easier when I don't need a screwdriver. Am I missing something?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

GLC posted:

What's the advantage of using the bike chain method versus velcro? I've never had a problem with good velcro failing to hold things in place, and swapping pedals around or replacing things is a lot easier when I don't need a screwdriver. Am I missing something?
It's more industrious and it doesn't leave gunk on your pedals, which is important if you find yourself cycling through pedals a lot. Also, it's more clever, which I figure has to be worth something!

edit: oh hey there's a pun in there

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 8, 2010

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

My new bass, got it for christmas from my wife :3:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Alright, base plate and tier are cut. Gonna do the supports for the tier probably Sunday.

Looks like a lot of wasted space I know, but I'm building it with expanding in mind. Particularly a Wiggler and expression pedal.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Scarf posted:

Alright, base plate and tier are cut. Gonna do the supports for the tier probably Sunday.

Looks like a lot of wasted space I know, but I'm building it with expanding in mind. Particularly a Wiggler and expression pedal.

looks great, remember that the wiggler has that stupid power cable. The plug for it sticks out of the left side like 1/2 of an inch right in the middle. It is sort of irritating, and on my board I have to leave it unplugged so I can close my case. I suppose its my own doing, but its the easiest way to make it all fit on my board.

Just mentioning that so you can plan for the correct widths/etc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

looks great, remember that the wiggler has that stupid power cable. The plug for it sticks out of the left side like 1/2 of an inch right in the middle. It is sort of irritating, and on my board I have to leave it unplugged so I can close my case. I suppose its my own doing, but its the easiest way to make it all fit on my board.

Just mentioning that so you can plan for the correct widths/etc.

Yeah, thanks. I'm not quite sure what the layout will be when the wiggler and expression come into play...

Dupree9973
Dec 16, 2003
Leather goods sold here.

Ha, I'll have to remember to save any spare bike chain I come across!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

I was only able to afford this today because iostream.h bought my Microsynth and Shape Shifter. I would have bought it with my paycheck on the 29th, but now I can buy a Zvex Wah Probe instead! :buddy:

EDIT: Does anybody have any suggestions for a second mic for this cab? I already have a Shure SM57, and I was thinking a Shure Beta 52A would be complimentary, but I know gently caress-all about mics so feel free to school me.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 9, 2010

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I was only able to afford this today because iostream.h bought my Microsynth and Shape Shifter. I would have bought it with my paycheck on the 29th, but now I can buy a Zvex Wah Probe instead! :buddy:

EDIT: Does anybody have any suggestions for a second mic for this cab? I already have a Shure SM57, and I was thinking a Shure Beta 52A would be complimentary, but I know gently caress-all about mics so feel free to school me.

sennheiser 421 if you're loaded, e609 if not

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Carbohydrates posted:

This brought a tear to my eye. I love the Jazzmaster body style.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Carbohydrates posted:

Holy god that's pretty. What's it setting you back?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

penneydude posted:

Holy god that's pretty. What's it setting you back?
$2,600, which is a great deal less than what the Fender Custom Shop would charge for anything remotely like this! His JMs start at $2,000, I just added some fancy options and such. :)

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

The Kinks!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I recently sold my electric violin (illness prevents me from playing the violin any more), and have just this minute ordered one of these:

Its an Eigenharp Pico

I had to order it before the price rise in February, and currently don't have a suitable laptop to run it on - but I'm quickly trying to sell some other musical items to raise funds for one.

Its an amazing instrument, and will allow me to once again play stringed instruments with almost as much dynamic control as the real thing :)... as well as virtually any instrument under the sun.

I haven't been this excited for a long time! :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
With my Christmas money I bought these three toys: Fender Blues Jr, recommended by the people in the New to Guitar thread, and bought from a fellow goon; brand new EHX Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker; and a used EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress. My first pedals and first tube amp woohoo!

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 25, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Schecter Omen Ex 4 Bass

[img]https://wi.somethingawful.com/bf/bf5253f914662df99a345b69793006e184d0d4c8.jpg[[/img]
Click here for the full 700x226 image.

Info here at Guitar Center

I was looking at a Squire VM jazz, and before that an Epiphone Thunderbird. Those were around 300, and this, as used, is 350. I might bite the bullet and get a brand new one for 4. I might have to do that anyway if someone nabs the used one before my cash comes in.

Someone please speak up if I'm about to make a mistake.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
While we're (temporarily) on the subject of Schecter stuff, does anybody have any experience with this thing? I've been looking for a sub-$400, 2-humbucker, 24-fret fixed bridge, no nonsense guitar that isn't pointy as gently caress or black or otherwise metal oriented, and this seems to be the only thing I don't really have a problem with. Unfortunately, knowing my luck that means it plays like poo poo or something.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Gorilla Salsa posted:

While we're (temporarily) on the subject of Schecter stuff, does anybody have any experience with this thing? I've been looking for a sub-$400, 2-humbucker, 24-fret fixed bridge, no nonsense guitar that isn't pointy as gently caress or black or otherwise metal oriented, and this seems to be the only thing I don't really have a problem with. Unfortunately, knowing my luck that means it plays like poo poo or something.

Holy poo poo, I've been eying just this guitar! I'm looking at getting an Omen 6 FR but yours will more than likely pull out the winner. I'm still new to git-fiddles and don't want to waste the instrument. At the same time, though, I don't want to limit myself.

A friend of mine owns a Schecter guitar, I'll email her and find out how she likes 'em. I should have thought about that before making a post on the subject, but I'll reply with what info I get.

EDIT: vv Oh. Oh dear. :ohdear:

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Horse Divorce posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been eying just this guitar! I'm looking at getting an Omen 6 FR but yours will more than likely pull out the winner. I'm still new to git-fiddles and don't want to waste the instrument. At the same time, though, I don't want to limit myself.

A friend of mine owns a Schecter guitar, I'll email her and find out how she likes 'em. I should have thought about that before making a post on the subject, but I'll reply with what info I get.

I'm normally not a fan of Schecter because they have a reputation for having baseball bat C-shaped necks and they have a tendency to loving drench their guitars in Abalone, which I hate. I had actually forgotten about the neck thing...I think I'll go for this bitch instead. All of this depends on my tax return anyway.