Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

foobar posted:

Hey, how did the ANLP antenna end up working for you?

Works great! Had too much stuff to pack up (and an expectation of not much free time) to bring my radio/antenna down here for the month we'll be here, but what can you do? When I get back to CO it should be good listening weather still, I hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

Double post! Is nobody else trying to listen to stuff over the Holidays? China Radio was playing Christmas Carols! No new radios for Christmas?

So, I've decided I can either pay good money for a professional antenna, or else pay less money and annoy my girlfriend with some slinky-based contraption. Given how much she already puts up with, I'd prefer the professional option. My radio has a 3.5mm antenna input, so all I need to find is an antenna with 3.5mm output. If it's on Amazon I've got about $100-$150 to spend, otherwise I'd have to keep it closer to $50. Any ideas?

How much room do you have? You can make a decent antenna if you have a loft access or outside access. Your biggest things are if you need to reject noise, increase gain, or in general just have size. Magnetic loops work well too and can be dressed up to look good even inside your house. For the jack, check around and buy one and then solder it onto what you need.

wasabimilkshake posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the Grundig G6 as a foray into the mysterious world of shortwave radio. It's $92 right now on Amazon, and $75 from L.L. Bean.

My main concern is interference. I live very close to a Cox Radio building, and they broadcast 5 FM and 2 AM stations in my city. There's a broadcast antenna 235 feet from my bedroom. It's a tapered metal structure with a big white dish at the top, and about 200-300 feet tall. Would being so close to this thing thwart my plans of listening to shortwave broadcasts?

When I'm at school, there's no giant antenna in my back yard, but I still don't know what constitutes a worrisome amount of possible interference. Would problems arise from having the radio in the same small room as my computer? What if I took it to a classroom in a 4-story building with about 800 workstations?

Finally, a simple question: is shortwave dead? This article probably isn't doing much for shortwave radio sales.

At home, the G6 would would probably get noise from the stations in the receiver. In fact, for a normal radio station 50K - 100K watts (especially in the FM range) being that close at all times would worry me from exposure limits standpoint. Do you have any issues with your AM/FM radios, TV's, etc?

Computer noise depends. A good computer case and wires doesn't emit much noise at all. However, wall warts for them are often horrible as are laptops. The other thing is you won't get great reception inside of a building for the most part. SW are notoriously bad at penetrating the metal supports in most buildings.

HFX fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 1, 2010

Moonie
Apr 25, 2006
Wow...i am in the British army working for the Royal Corps of Signals. I never ever realised there was such a community for this kind of stuff !

KingOMtDew
Dec 29, 2008

wasabimilkshake posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the Grundig G6 as a foray into the mysterious world of shortwave radio. It's $92 right now on Amazon, and $75 from L.L. Bean.

My main concern is interference. I live very close to a Cox Radio building, and they broadcast 5 FM and 2 AM stations in my city. There's a broadcast antenna 235 feet from my bedroom. It's a tapered metal structure with a big white dish at the top, and about 200-300 feet tall. Would being so close to this thing thwart my plans of listening to shortwave broadcasts?

When I'm at school, there's no giant antenna in my back yard, but I still don't know what constitutes a worrisome amount of possible interference. Would problems arise from having the radio in the same small room as my computer? What if I took it to a classroom in a 4-story building with about 800 workstations?

Finally, a simple question: is shortwave dead? This article probably isn't doing much for shortwave radio sales.

That tower might just be a studio-transmitter link tower. If there are no other antennas on it that is probably what it is. They use it to transmit their broadcast signal from the studio to the tower. This signal would probably be in the VHF or higher range at a lower power level than their actual transmitter. This would cause much less interference to your radio than an AM station would.

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.
drat it all, I went ahead and ordered the G6. Add another $75 to the money drain pile.

quote:

That tower might just be a studio-transmitter link tower. If there are no other antennas on it that is probably what it is. They use it to transmit their broadcast signal from the studio to the tower.
This makes sense given that the big-rear end tower transmitters are all 1 to 2 miles away at ~1000 ft altitude, whereas this thing is a dinky POS built close to the station on a scrap of unoccupied land in somebody's backyard.

Now, why do I get the feeling that I'm about to spend more money hacking together a ghetto antenna that a passing hobo will eventually tear down and poop on?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

HFX posted:

How much room do you have? You can make a decent antenna if you have a loft access or outside access. Your biggest things are if you need to reject noise, increase gain, or in general just have size. Magnetic loops work well too and can be dressed up to look good even inside your house. For the jack, check around and buy one and then solder it onto what you need.

So, since I first posted about antennas I did go ahead and solder together a ~40' random wire antenna. Haven't attached a ground yet, though. First day I got it working was overcast and it only got worse, so I haven't had much chance to really test it.

My thinking on buying an Antenna is that while I may be able to get the same reception from 500' of speaker wire as I could from a $100 antenna, the "real" antenna is going to look a hell of a lot nicer, as well as being easier to work with.

edit: In short, I'm willing to pay more money to get equal or better performance from a smaller package

edit2: Anyone have an address for sending QSL reports to Voice of Korea?

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 2, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
PS Airband is AM.

Moonie, tell us more about what you do. I briefly flirted with signing up for the Signals but I'm a pussy nerd.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doc Faustus posted:

My thinking on buying an Antenna is that while I may be able to get the same reception from 500' of speaker wire as I could from a $100 antenna, the "real" antenna is going to look a hell of a lot nicer, as well as being easier to work with.
Not for nothing, but a 500' wire set up as a Beverage will work much more nicely on the low bands than any active amplified antenna. I get what you mean, though, sometimes it just doesn't work to have a long antenna up.

Doc Faustus posted:

edit: In short, I'm willing to pay more money to get equal or better performance from a smaller package
Personally, if I had the space to set up the 40' of wire, I'd use that hooked into an MFJ-1020C/Vectronics AT-100, since having the metal up in the air along with the preselector/amplifier will work better than any small active antenna. Otherwise, if you could get the Sony AN-LP1 on eBay I'd recommend that, but it's not available anymore so you'll have to use something like the Degen DE31/Kaito KA33 ($37) or the Kaito KA35 ($90).

Doc Faustus posted:

edit2: Anyone have an address for sending QSL reports to Voice of Korea?
Copied/paraphrased from the last issue of Passport:

quote:

Voice of Korea
External Service
Radio-Television Broadcasting Committee of the DPRK
Pyongyang
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (not "North Korea")

Replies can be somewhat irregular, especially to countries that don't have normalized relations w/ DPRK; mail from those countries (e.g. USA) has to go through several other countries first. Some people have had better luck by adding "VIA BEIJING, CHINA" to the address, but that slows replies down even further. Others have had some success by sending letters via the English Service of Radio China International; send your envelope to VOK inside another outer envelope addressed to RCI, with a polite letter asking them to forward your letter to Korea, and they might help you.

Note: I've heard of people waiting a year or longer to receive a QSL from VOK simply because of the language barrier and the very convoluted path that letters between DPRK and "the West" have to take due to the diplomatic situation.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

wasabimilkshake posted:

drat you... Add another $75 from me as well. I was up in the air between the 7600GR, the G6 and the G3 until I saw that price.

quote:

It may be true that some international stations have stopped broadcasting in recent years, but you still have the crazy preachers who won't go anywhere as long as they can keep paying the power bill. Just tonight on 7050 I was listening to a preacher using shortwave to cast out the demons that had entered the listener's bodies from such sources as prescription medicines, hearing people talk about other religions, and listening to Elton John's back catalog.

I was almost a believer until he wanted to cast Unicron out of my body. That was the last straw.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That and it just isn't camping unless you've got the tropical tunes of radio havana playing.

(if someone could direct me to a shortwave ska station camping would be even better)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 3, 2010

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always found number stations creepy and strangely fascinating. Whenever I listen to some YouTube recordings of them, my eyes start to tear up. Maybe because I expect to hear some Eldritch abomination speaking at any time.

Anyways, I live in Poland. Is there a point in buying a Grundig G3 (it's really expensive)? Will I get to hear a decent amount of creepy stuff? Or is Central/Eastern Europe not populated by those waves as richly as US is?

Ed Mc Dead
Oct 4, 2009
I've wanted to get into SW listening for awhile but I never got around to it.
After reading this thread I've just bought an E5 for about $140, even more to be added to the stats.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Splash Damage posted:

I've always found number stations creepy and strangely fascinating. Whenever I listen to some YouTube recordings of them, my eyes start to tear up. Maybe because I expect to hear some Eldritch abomination speaking at any time.

Anyways, I live in Poland. Is there a point in buying a Grundig G3 (it's really expensive)? Will I get to hear a decent amount of creepy stuff? Or is Central/Eastern Europe not populated by those waves as richly as US is?

You actually have more and better number stations than we do in the US.

hobes
Jan 15, 2007

Fight! Fight! Comrade!

Ed Mc Dead posted:

I've wanted to get into SW listening for awhile but I never got around to it.
After reading this thread I've just bought an E5 for about $140, even more to be added to the stats.
Any reason you didn't spring for 10$ more and get the G3?

Ed Mc Dead
Oct 4, 2009

hobes posted:

Any reason you didn't spring for 10$ more and get the G3?

Well its a matter of availability, I'm in the UK and from where I live its difficult to get things delivered cheaply despite the internet, so I had to go for the E5.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
I thought I would update for the Antennas the following advice.

If you put black wire in a tree or up high, it becomes almost invisible to many people especially after a little while. The other poster was correct about the beverage antenna. It is a phenomenal antenna.

Another trick is to figure out what stations you like to listen to the most and cut the wire to match that length or a even division of that length. This will make the antenna wire want to resonate on those frequencies. While this is more key for those of us who broadcast, it helps reception also as the incoming signals will excite the wires. Another trick is to put your wire broadside to where you want to receive signals from. If I want to receive signals from Europe, I will usually do slightly better with it oriented north to south rather then east west. However, South America, Canada, and the Caribbean are best north to south. Another trick is to have both a vertical antenna (these work great if you have a pool or tree to put the upper end in, and then you bury the radials) and a horizontal. Switch between the two to see which one works better.

The Running Man
Feb 23, 2007
I have an old chain link fence gate hanging around. I also may have a roll of chain link hanging around too, but I'm not sure. Would this make a good antenna?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jesus you just made me realize that I have a huge metal shack behind my house. ...could I?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Ed Mc Dead posted:

Well its a matter of availability, I'm in the UK and from where I live its difficult to get things delivered cheaply despite the internet, so I had to go for the E5.

From what I read the E5 is better then the G3 anyways. The sync detector in the G3 is poo poo and with a total redesign of the radio it actually performs worse. If they ever fixed the sync and improved performance then the G3 would be worth the price.

The Running Man posted:

I have an old chain link fence gate hanging around. I also may have a roll of chain link hanging around too, but I'm not sure. Would this make a good antenna?

Worth a try, I've used the gutters on my parents house with some luck. The great thing about shortwave is trial and error in trying to cool in cool poo poo!

I'll do an op soon since I've been playing with this stuff since like middle school and joined this forum because of this thread :D

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

HFX posted:

If I want to receive signals from Europe, I will usually do slightly better with it oriented north to south rather then east west. However, South America, Canada, and the Caribbean are best north to south. Another trick is to have both a vertical antenna (these work great if you have a pool or tree to put the upper end in, and then you bury the radials) and a horizontal. Switch between the two to see which one works better.

Right now I have about a 75 foot string of speaker wire strung from my shed to my house - north/south. Now I'm thinking about trying to run a string of wire east/west also. Would combining them (like an 'L' shape) work or should I have them set up seperate? Also, how would bare copper wire work? I came into some of that during plant construction.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

I heart bacon posted:

Right now I have about a 75 foot string of speaker wire strung from my shed to my house - north/south. Now I'm thinking about trying to run a string of wire east/west also. Would combining them (like an 'L' shape) work or should I have them set up seperate? Also, how would bare copper wire work? I came into some of that during plant construction.

Either way or you can try a quad skyloop which seems to work well in most directions. I actually would not recommend bare copper wire as it will cause shorting during times of wet weather (thus you won't get as good a signal). On the other hand, it may improve it by turning it into something like a beverage antenna. I've had it work both ways for reception.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I heart bacon posted:

Right now I have about a 75 foot string of speaker wire strung from my shed to my house - north/south. Now I'm thinking about trying to run a string of wire east/west also. Would combining them (like an 'L' shape) work or should I have them set up seperate?
It depends on how you feed your flat V. If you tied a common end together and had that hooked to one side of your feedline, it would kind of do what you're trying to do. However, if you feed the lines in parallel (each side hooked to opposite halves of ladder line, or it might work the same way if fed with coax), your best reception will actually be between two wires on many frequencies. Personally, I'd just solder them together and stretch the (now) single wire as far and as straight as I could N/S, since I'm not big into listening to South America.

I heart bacon posted:

Also, how would bare copper wire work? I came into some of that during plant construction.

HFX posted:

I actually would not recommend bare copper wire as it will cause shorting during times of wet weather (thus you won't get as good a signal). On the other hand, it may improve it by turning it into something like a beverage antenna. I've had it work both ways for reception.
Huh? Bare wire works about the same as insulated wire; if you're getting shorting when it rains it's probably because the electrical connections are loose(I'd bet that any problems are coming from the wire moving in the wind); they either need to be soldered or securely fastened mechanically (and then sealed from the elements). It will oxidize over time, but the amount this affects an antenna's performance is debatable. Also, whether an antenna functions like a Beverage is a function of the length of the wire, not whether it's insulated or not.

P.S. I ♥ bacon, too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
This is the closest thread I can post this in, but I really really want a P25 Digital Scanner, but really really don't want to spend the bank on it. I guess you gotta pay if you want to play with the big boys eh?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

nmfree posted:

It depends on how you feed your flat V. If you tied a common end together and had that hooked to one side of your feedline, it would kind of do what you're trying to do. However, if you feed the lines in parallel (each side hooked to opposite halves of ladder line, or it might work the same way if fed with coax), your best reception will actually be between two wires on many frequencies. Personally, I'd just solder them together and stretch the (now) single wire as far and as straight as I could N/S, since I'm not big into listening to South America.

Huh? Bare wire works about the same as insulated wire; if you're getting shorting when it rains it's probably because the electrical connections are loose(I'd bet that any problems are coming from the wire moving in the wind); they either need to be soldered or securely fastened mechanically (and then sealed from the elements). It will oxidize over time, but the amount this affects an antenna's performance is debatable. Also, whether an antenna functions like a Beverage is a function of the length of the wire, not whether it's insulated or not.

P.S. I ♥ bacon, too.

I do care about conductivity, since all of my antenna's are transmission ones. I was mentioning conductivity because it sounded like he wanted to drape it over a tree. While this isn't terrible, trees (especially pine trees) when wet can often completely wipe out an antenna. You will want to use insulators on the ends and not have the wire touch anything or minimalist things. The beverage portion that I mentioned comes from occasionally, dropping a high resistance wire from the main antenna (like if it was in a tree), will cause the SNR to increase dramatically on such reception antennas.

With the ladder line and a flat top T it sounds almost like you were describing a G5RV which you can make resonant on several bands.

HFX fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 11, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Clip of a new shortwave station to hit the airwaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCM8R8bx8Q

Soon to be another Tennessee WWCR type outfit (meaning religious loonatics preaching poo poo unto the world!). Thus far they've been able to squeak 12.5 KW out of the old KAIJ transmitter before some other part dies.

http://www.wtww.us

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Just got my first-ever QSL response! CRI sent me a postcard, calendar, and some sort of cutout things that I'm not quite sure what to do with. All told, very cool of them. Got me to throw up my antenna again and take advantage of the awesome weather. Picked up Radio Espania at 0000 UTC, and now Voice of Vietnam at 0100 UTC. Listed in on bits and pieces of other broadcasts, but the signal wasn't clear enough to listen to for an extended period.

Sadly, Radio Espania was on 6055, which means that Radio Havana (6060) was bleeding over pretty badly into their signal. Voice of Vietnam is much clearer, though it's on a repeater from Canada. Inexplicably, signals repeated from Canada come in much clearer than Radio Canada.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Doc Faustus posted:

Just got my first-ever QSL response! CRI sent me a postcard, calendar, and some sort of cutout things that I'm not quite sure what to do with. All told, very cool of them. Got me to throw up my antenna again and take advantage of the awesome weather. Picked up Radio Espania at 0000 UTC, and now Voice of Vietnam at 0100 UTC. Listed in on bits and pieces of other broadcasts, but the signal wasn't clear enough to listen to for an extended period.

Congrats! I did a QSL of CRI 8 years ago in high school, even today they keep sending me stuff! Every season I get their magazine called "The Messenger" and every year a calendar and a schedule. I'm probably on some government list because of it! :eek:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I finally caught my first voice numbers station broadcast tonight.

I've run across M8 a few times while scanning, but caught V2a tonight broadcasting on 5880 KHz. I'm assuming the transmission started around 7:00 UTC since it ended around 7:45 UTC. I missed out on the beginning, but did manage to catch the end.

Many thanks to Wasabimilkshake for posting that link to the Grundig G6 on sale over at L.L. Bean. Picking up that thing was the best purchase I've made in a while. I was concerned about it being too sensitive since I live in Jersey and have to deal with overpowered signals from both NYC and Philly, but even without an external antenna I'm getting more than I was with my old DX-394. Last night I was able to catch VVW on both 5000 and 10000 KHz, which has never happened before. I was also able to catch the English broadcast from Voice of Turkey with minimal interference.

I posted back in the day that I was going to send my DX-394 to Lowbander for modification, but it never made it out. I'm now kicking myself since the lousy reception I've always had was completely due to the lovely way RS made the first version of that thing. Tonight when I hooked my slinky dipole up to the DX, I could barely hear V2a on 5880 since there was massive bleed-through from the fundie preacher transmitting on 5890. Meanwhile, the G6 was sitting not 3 feet away, happily spitting out Spanish numbers just using the built in whip antenna.

EDIT: Maybe some of you can answer this for me... I've noticed that on the G6 the 'Auto Search' feature likes to jump past large chunks of frequencies (e.g.: 26150 - 30000, 150 - 2400, 3400 - 3900) that are manually tunable. Researching some of these 'blank spots', I see that they are listed as 'fixed service', 'aeronautical mobile, 'maritime mobile', or 'government use'. Some of these are obviously not going to mean much to me (I doubt listening in on the Forestry Service from 29700 - 29800 is very exciting), but some of them would be nice to scan through on without having to do it manually. Do any of you know if there's a way to turn off the filter that skips these when auto scanning?

EDIT TWO: Eton/Grundig replied to my email. The auto search skips over anything that isn't a 'major shortwave broadcasting band' and there is no way to configure it to scan all frequencies, so manual tuning is required. Looks like I will be getting the DX-394 modified after all...

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 14, 2010

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Now is a good time to be tuning through your bands. There should be quite a bit of emergency traffic for Haiti.

Excerpt from frequencies:
be aware of the emergency operations on the following frequencies:
7.045 and 3.720 MHz (IARU Region 2 nets), 14.265, 7.265 and 3.977
MHz (SATERN nets), and 14.300 MHz (Intercontinental Assistance and
Traffic Net). The International Radio Emergency Support Coalition
(IRESC) is also active on EchoLink node 278173.

Arnie Coro will be heard quite a bit.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I've been following the Haiti situation listening to BBC-WS around midnight on 5875. I think that transmitter covers eastern Asia but comes in surprisingly well on my Degen 1103 in Maryland. Before midnight 5875 is home to "World Harvest Radio" religious shenanigans but you should be able to tell the difference :v:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

It's been fun listening to the military coded messages. The other night was pretty active, though the speaker kept messing up the authentication and had to start over several times. Then I tried to listen for some emergency stuff, but all I got were some old redneck sounding guys chatting. Spent a half hour trying to tune the right spot on the SSB to get that one too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

I've been following the Haiti situation listening to BBC-WS around midnight on 5875. I think that transmitter covers eastern Asia but comes in surprisingly well on my Degen 1103 in Maryland. Before midnight 5875 is home to "World Harvest Radio" religious shenanigans but you should be able to tell the difference :v:
According to last year's Passport, that's 500kw beamed to Eastern Europe... I'll have to listen for that, I don't really try for the BBC anymore. Thanks for the tip.

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
Last night I found something out.
:siren::siren::siren::supaburn:The Buzzer(UVB-76) spoke once more!:supaburn::siren::siren::siren:

According to this YouTube video, UVB-76's fourth known break in its weird little pattern of maybe-world-ending-failsafe-activity happened this past September. Like, holy poo poo! I wish I still had my G6. I think I'm going to track one down for cheap using some money I've got from Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSN8ebNTXaY

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Fredrick posted:

:siren::siren::siren::supaburn:The Buzzer(UVB-76) spoke once more!:supaburn::siren::siren::siren:

According to this YouTube video, UVB-76's fourth known break in its weird little pattern of maybe-world-ending-failsafe-activity happened this past September. Like, holy poo poo! I wish I still had my G6. I think I'm going to track one down for cheap using some money I've got from Christmas.

Welp, that sure puts me in a :tinfoil: mood!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Fredrick posted:

I'll have to check their signal on Global Tuners more often. It's probably been mentioned here before but Global Tunes is loving awesome for apartment dwellers like me whose shortwave portables only receive awful neighborhood interference from everyone's HDTVs and computers! :argh:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's they are obviously concerned about the earthquake machine that after hitting haiti and iran is about to target russia.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Radio Nowhere posted:

I'll have to check their signal on Global Tuners more often. It's probably been mentioned here before but Global Tunes is loving awesome for apartment dwellers like me whose shortwave portables only receive awful neighborhood interference from everyone's HDTVs and computers! :argh:

As a ham I feel you. My noise floor usually is S7 with all filters engaged.

onoj
Jan 15, 2006
muh?

Radio Nowhere posted:

I've been using global tuners for quite a while, if you can find a receiver that uses the unreal streaming audio the latency is really low and you can use 'em propery for scanning.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

blugu64 posted:

This is the closest thread I can post this in, but I really really want a P25 Digital Scanner, but really really don't want to spend the bank on it. I guess you gotta pay if you want to play with the big boys eh?

I was in the same boat as you. I hated the fact that the cheapest one I could find was on sale for $399.

But if you live in a large city, it is soooo worth it. I'm in the DC area and listening to anything here other than cab companies or aircraft REQUIRES a digital trunking scanner.

The two digital scanners radio shack has (which are really GRE scanners) will sometimes go on sale for $399 (they are regularly $499.) Also check scannermaster, they have the GRE-600 (which is same as the radio shack pro-197) for around $450, and it comes with a USB programming cable.

If you get one, you really really really should program it with software designed for your scanner (I use Win500 for the RS-197/GRE-600.) You should also get a subscription to radioreference.com ($15) so that you can download trunking tables and frequencies directly into the scanner. High-end trunking scanners can be programmed from the front control pad but the instructions are invariably written by an Asian with horrible command of English so you will likely pull your hair out. Not to mention that even once you get the hang of it it is incredibly tedious. Get the software and a USB cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
It's no Conet Project but I got this CD about a month ago. It's an audio sampling of time stations WWV/WWVH through its history. From tick tick tick to beep beep beep and from morse code time stamps to "At The Tone". Okay maybe it's not really that exciting but a nice CD add for any shortwave addict.

Samples: http://www.last.fm/music/Radio+Station+WWV/At+The+Tone+%28Selections%29

Hard Copy: http://dodgeblog.nfshost.com/wordpress/?p=435

• Locked thread