Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

If you need help with that, I'll happily act as the LA liaison.

That'd be awesome...I'll start a thread in a week or so, when I've felt more recovered and the ZX6R is running right, I need to ride that thing and a maintenance day is the perfect excuse.

Edit: Plus the ZX9R, that needs to be sorted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redscare posted:

Yeah, so much of LA is a giant shithole.

I'm off 5th and Kingsley. Let's go ridin!

Maybe in a few months, I want to get the hang of street riding before I start riding with other people.

I'm fine with having a goonbiker meet though, that could be cool. Good excuse to hit fisherman's outlet or Neptunes if feeling intrepid.

soy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 9, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
This is a couple of years old but i haven't seen it before.

An inside look into a Harley bad boy's life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOBgvHmqf4

pimpbot
Apr 30, 2005
neeej!!!
College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_DshNKHIY

a honda cbx sounding like a jar of angry bees

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dubs posted:

Bad Boy Brad Hangs Up His Helmet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpePaenvjo&feature=related

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pimpbot posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_DshNKHIY

a honda cbx sounding like a jar of angry bees

God, every time I hear a CBX suddenly an hour disappears while I listen to different videos of it. :sigh:

Dubs posted:

I haven't seen that in ages, hilarious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

God, every time I hear a CBX suddenly an hour disappears while I listen to different videos of it. :sigh:

A CBX has been on my MUST OWN list for about 10 years now. Some day, some day.

I just need to find someone cleaning out their garage who has no clue what they have.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Retarded Pimp posted:

Bad Boy Brad Hangs Up His Helmet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpePaenvjo&feature=related

Weren't those created by Dominos Pizza as part of their "Anything for $9.99" campaign?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
We just moved into a house with a garage and driveway in Culver City, if y'all are nice and tidy we could possibly do some kind of maintenance day here. BYOTools though, I have but the basics.

Though with how busy we've been at work, who knows if I'll actually be around for it. :v:

If anything, a goonbiekmeet at Oki's Dog down here should happen.

e; Everyone can take turns scrubbing bird poo poo off the new* Virago!

*for MY2002

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 10, 2010

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yeah, just from looking how he went down I bet he's messed up his left shoulder and arm pretty well. But I think that vest and helmet did save him from a lot more severe injury. *edit* You can actually hear it thunk against the pavement

And all things considered, this was a really low-speed crash, he couldn't have been going much faster then 30mph. I've heard the "I don't need a helmet, I don't go very fast" from my brother on his scooter before, this proves that it doesn't matter the speed, you can get srsly hosed up.

Concerning people wearing back protectors, helmets, and tennis shoes: Can I repost these awesome stuntaz going 70+ on the 110? (Photos taken during the summer when I was in LA).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Concerning people wearing back protectors, helmets, and tennis shoes: Can I repost these awesome stuntaz going 70+ on the 110? (Photos taken during the summer when I was in LA).

I love fat dudes in Icon Field Armor vests, they're so cute. It's like your middle aged accountant friend just needed to show the world what a rebel he is. :3:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

MetaJew posted:

They both look like they need more air in their rear tires.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

laymil posted:

They both look like they need more air in their rear tires.

$tuntaz purposely run lower PSI in the rear for a larger contact patch (more traction) whilst executing said stunts.

On the highway though, they're just looking for a blowout.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I still cant get my head around the whole 'no gear at all EXCEPT a backprotector' thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

$tuntaz purposely run lower PSI in the rear for a larger contact patch (more traction) whilst executing said stunts.

On the highway though, they're just looking for a blowout.

I don't think I'd be so concerned about a blowout...modern tires are pretty drat durable. I'd be more worried about the tire rotating on the rim. Either way, they don't care that they get probably 1500 miles out of their rears.

Dubs, they're just trying to up their chances of being able to feel every single second of their skin grafts. Give the doc something to work with, ya know? :sigh:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Dubs posted:

I still cant get my head around the whole 'no gear at all EXCEPT a backprotector' thing.

Actually it looks like the one in the blue has knee/shin armor on under his pants. I guess it's something.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Last semester, I had a classmate that rode an R6. After trying to explain to him why it was such a terrible bike for public road use, he proceeded in telling me how well it wheelies. It didn't take much longer for him to make an rear end out of himself.

Several aggravating minutes later, I brought up the gear thing (he was like the above riders, only impact protection), and he informed me that stuntin puts you so in-tune with the act of riding, that in the event of a crash, he was able to consciously prop himself up on his elbow and knee armor as he slid along the ground, thus saving his skin.

I asked if he had ever, ya know, done it
"Nah bro, I just know that if the time comes I'll have that poo poo on lock, man."
:ughh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah yes, because every video Ive ever seen of some stunter losing it on the highway ends with them gracefully sliding on their chosen pads like a ninja cheetah.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AncientTV posted:

Last semester, I had a classmate that rode an R6. After trying to explain to him why it was such a terrible bike for public road use, he proceeded in telling me how well it wheelies. It didn't take much longer for him to make an rear end out of himself.

Several aggravating minutes later, I brought up the gear thing (he was like the above riders, only impact protection), and he informed me that stuntin puts you so in-tune with the act of riding, that in the event of a crash, he was able to consciously prop himself up on his elbow and knee armor as he slid along the ground, thus saving his skin.

"Nah bro, I just know that if the time comes I'll have that poo poo on lock, man."

Push him off a bicycle to prep him.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Ah yes, because every video Ive ever seen of some stunter losing it on the highway ends with them gracefully sliding on their chosen pads like a ninja cheetah.

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

AncientTV posted:

:hurr:

Goddamnit, I wish I could meet these people and make fun of them. Start playing along..."Yeah dawg, I race so I just go super light weight, field armor only, I've got that poo poo on lock. Besides you're close to the ground already with your knee down and poo poo. I just stapled the sliders to my knee armor, it's ballin'!".

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n posted:

Goddamnit, I wish I could meet these people and make fun of them. Start playing along..."Yeah dawg, I race so I just go super light weight, field armor only, I've got that poo poo on lock. Besides you're close to the ground already with your knee down and poo poo. I just stapled the sliders to my knee armor, it's ballin'!".
I really love motorcycle culture, but the two things I just can't stand are harley riders and mad stuntaz. We had this guy come in earlier this week who totaled his bike doing a stoppie at 80mph. Dumbshit went through an intersection and hit a huge pothole while the bike was on its nose. Best part? All he had on was jeans and a tshirt. Apparently this was actually more protection than the wifebeater and jeans that he usually wears. I mean, I can respect stunting when its done on a closed course; there are some people who can do some genuinely skillful and impressive poo poo. Unfortunately 99% are the mad stunta type who are extreme douches. Those idiots make me ashamed to ride a sportbike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

-Inu- posted:

Those idiots make me ashamed to ride a sportbike.
i assume you're referring to the screaming wild crotch rocket shown in your custom title which demands skill and respect and which only rossi could safely control?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i assume you're referring to the screaming wild crotch rocket shown in your custom title which demands skill and respect and which only rossi could safely control?
Not even rossi.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Literally laughed out loud at that one.

Content.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Spiffness posted:

Ah yes, because every video Ive ever seen of some stunter losing it on the highway ends with them gracefully sliding on their chosen pads like a ninja Chester the (Cheetos) Cheetah.
If it were a ninja cheetah, you'd never see him.
Edit: Chesta the Stunta!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 10, 2010

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Don't diss the dumbass sportbike riders; when the time comes and they crash horribly you'll feel like a smug rear end in a top hat. Trust me, I've been there.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Last semester, I had a classmate that rode an R6...

While I agree entirely with the rest of it (in my experience you have no control at all when tumbling down the asphalt), I don't think a 600 supersport is an inherently terrible bike for public road use.

I would stronly advise against buying one as a first bike, but that's only because they'll be heavier than a 250, more expensive, and most importantly a lot less forgiving of the ham-fisted throttle application that every new rider will do at some point. However, for a level-headed person with a year or two of experience I personally think they work pretty well for road use, so long as you don't mind the riding position. They're sedate enough through the midrange, but with a fair bit of power at higher rpm if you should ever need to get moving in a hurry. Also, with standard gearing a 600 won't wheelie unless it's pretty seriously provoked.

They certainly have great potential to mess you up if you're inexperienced or if you do something a bit dumb, but they aren't the ridiculous insane deathmachines that some people make them out to be.

At the end of the day, the main deciding factor is the attitude and experience level of the rider, in roughly equal proportions. Some people are going to hurt themselves no matter what they ride, and they're usually the ones who believe it will never happen to them, like your classmate.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 11, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

FlyinDoc posted:

While I agree entirely with the rest of it (in my experience you have no control at all when tumbling down the asphalt), I don't think a 600 supersport is an inherently terrible bike for public road use.

<snip>

The reason why many of us dislike 600 I4's as streetbikes isn't because they're too hard to manage (unless you're a new rider) but because they lack usable power on the street. My buddy doesn't ride in the winter and he's been nice enough to let me borrow his GSXR-6 for the past few weeks. I've been riding it full time lately and I must say that it's pretty painful around town. The problem lies in the fact that the power doesn't kick in on these bikes unless they're revved to the sky, and by the time you're at the point where they're producing power you're already breaking pretty much any speed limit in the country. So you're left with the choice of putzing around producing very little power, or riding in the powerband waiting for the imminent ticket.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

-Inu- posted:

The problem lies in the fact that the power doesn't kick in on these bikes unless they're revved to the sky

As opposed to a Ninja 250, which you can rev all you like without the power ever kicking in.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Yes, I was about to say that my 600 pulls harder at 4krpm than my 250 did at 10krpm. Mind you, rev a 250 to 10k at standstill and then feed the clutch out, I don't think you'll be able to deny that the power just kicked in :p

I realise that a 600 I4 doesn't have lazy gear-selection-doesn't-matter torque, but with that in mind, making use of the power honestly isn't difficult.

If you want more power, kick it down a gear or two (or slip the clutch a little if you really can't wait for some reason). If you're finding first gear to be lacking, then slip the clutch a bit more on takeoffs. First gear should provide plenty of acceleration if you aren't lugging the engine on takeoffs. I found that it helps to make a conscious effort to apply throttle slightly before letting the clutch out, instead of concurrently or afterward.

The power is useable, you just have to make use of the gears to get it. If you ride a 250 on a regular basis then rowing up and down through the gears all the time should be a familiar practice by now.

They aren't 2 strokes. There is a noticeable increase in power past 8k or so, but the powerband is hardly an on-off thing. It would be fairly rare that my 600 sees more than 8k during daily street riding actually, and I still manage to put large buffer zones between myself and the other traffic leaving the lights.

I can understand that for regular day-to-day street riding another bike like an SV650 or Z750 would require less rider input to extract useable power from. My point was more that I personally don't think there are any aspects that make an I4 600 a terrible streetbike, assuming it isn't the person's first bike.

Content - Why you wear boots and gloves...

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 11, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FlyinDoc posted:

isn't that a bmw? stolen bike. a bmw rider would never go out with so little gear.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

isn't that a bmw? stolen bike. a bmw rider would never go out with so little gear.

He was saving up for the Rallye II Pro because his loan wasn't approved.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

abigserve posted:

Don't diss the dumbass sportbike riders; when the time comes and they crash horribly you'll feel like a smug rear end in a top hat. Trust me, I've been there.

Guy on the ground was wheelie'ing the living poo poo out of his 2-week old ZZR-600. This is what happened on literally the 3rd turn of a sorta-curvy road.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Whats with all the 250 hate on this page?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffness posted:

I call and raise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

That dude is the epitome of :smug:

Zool posted:

As opposed to a Ninja 250, which you can rev all you like without the power ever kicking in.

That's what makes them fun! Ride it like you're a GP rider and power through 4 gear and you're doing 24mph!

Seriously though, 250s aren't the greatest unless you're somewhere where you can take advantage of their small size and flickability. The engine's forgiving and fun to rev the poo poo out of, but it's hardly a powerhouse.

FlyinDoc posted:

Yes, I was about to say that my 600 pulls harder at 4krpm than my 250 did at 10krpm. Mind you, rev a 250 to 10k at standstill and then feed the clutch out, I don't think you'll be able to deny that the power just kicked in :p

I realise that a 600 I4 doesn't have lazy gear-selection-doesn't-matter torque, but with that in mind, making use of the power honestly isn't difficult.

If you want more power, kick it down a gear or two (or slip the clutch a little if you really can't wait for some reason). If you're finding first gear to be lacking, then slip the clutch a bit more on takeoffs. First gear should provide plenty of acceleration if you aren't lugging the engine on takeoffs. I found that it helps to make a conscious effort to apply throttle slightly before letting the clutch out, instead of concurrently or afterward.

The power is useable, you just have to make use of the gears to get it. If you ride a 250 on a regular basis then rowing up and down through the gears all the time should be a familiar practice by now.

They aren't 2 strokes. There is a noticeable increase in power past 8k or so, but the powerband is hardly an on-off thing. It would be fairly rare that my 600 sees more than 8k during daily street riding actually, and I still manage to put large buffer zones between myself and the other traffic leaving the lights.

I can understand that for regular day-to-day street riding another bike like an SV650 or Z750 would require less rider input to extract useable power from. My point was more that I personally don't think there are any aspects that make an I4 600 a terrible streetbike, assuming it isn't the person's first bike.

It's not that it's a terrible streetbike, it's just not a particularly good one either. I rode the 636 last night and I'd forgotten that even with a bike with beefy midrange, to pass a bunch of cars in a go I was looking at 3 downshifts. Of course, at that point it puts a stupid grin on your face, but i was a little let down when I compared it to the bigger bikes I've been riding.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

It's not that it's a terrible streetbike, it's just not a particularly good one either. I rode the 636 last night and I'd forgotten that even with a bike with beefy midrange, to pass a bunch of cars in a go I was looking at 3 downshifts. Of course, at that point it puts a stupid grin on your face, but i was a little let down when I compared it to the bigger bikes I've been riding.

You know 4th gear is the freeway cruising gear on a 600 right? :D Just drone along at 9000 rpm.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

blugu64 posted:

Request to make the background of CA and rename to goon_250.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I'm almost positive that's not a 250.

edit: Now I'm almost positive it is a 250 and not a 600. drat THIS.