Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Wa11y posted:

What would be the opposite of that type of turd? Trouser chili. Soup rear end. To quote Oregon Trail, dysentery.
"Butt pee".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

McGravin posted:

"Butt pee".

"Sinner's rear end," to use an Achewood-introduced term.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I prefer the term "Pimp skitters".

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Honestly, I laughed the most at Catholic Strategy Gus. Beef is down a lot, but seeing Ray get pissed is a real treat.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
What's with this in the Assetbar comments thread?

deus posted:

Beef and Molly are working things out...slowly....slowly...

scorpio_nadir posted:

Molly rockin' some survivor's hate in a 4 star restaurant.

(It's on the women's hidden menu)

smallberries posted:

Molly (with infinite patience for her damaged man of Circumstance) should pack a ziplock bag of Cheerios for her overgrown baby at restaurants. Also if Herr Onstad uses RB to express his own ennui ... prepare for cat-divorce in Acheworld.

cpnglxynchos posted:

ever think that's why he moved?

ratacat posted:

what? holy poo poo. no way.

goldhat posted:

That explains the PO Box

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sgs-Cruz posted:

What's with this in the Assetbar comments thread?

I have learned a long time ago that the comments section of anything on the internet is misery wrapped in failure.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

The crowd at assetbar is ten times more sycophantic and over analyzing than any goon, and that's saying a lot. I'm amazed they're still posting.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
edit: Never mind, this is pointless to talk about.

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi
But really, almost all I have seen of Molly and Roast Beef post-wedding is her growing resentment and I am like "oh no" :(

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

the Professor posted:

But really, almost all I have seen of Molly and Roast Beef post-wedding is her growing resentment and I am like "oh no" :(

I've seen it as taking its course for any normal relationship. Initial attraction gets gradually worn away by familiarity. Couples weather it and stick together in enduring relationships, Molly and Beef just seem to have a realistic sort of tension going on.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I agree, I always saw it as portraying the funnier parts of marriage, and it's too bad that happiness isn't as funny as "Up yours wife"

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
It seems like they are implying that real-life Onstad is divorced?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

choobs posted:

Maybe they are implying that. Not sure if I give a poo poo. I am not up to speed on the marital status of any of my comic writers.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

the Professor posted:

Like the Bennifers and Brangolinas of the days past, the Achewood tabloids are going to have a field day over the marital troubles of Moast Beelly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

choobs posted:

Yes, the commenters seem to believe that Achewood is a DaVinci Code rather than a momentary diversion on the road to the grave.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

vonnegutt posted:

I agree, I always saw it as portraying the funnier parts of marriage, and it's too bad that happiness isn't as funny as "Up yours wife"

Beef and Molly love each other enough that it's okay to hate each others' guts sometimes.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Judging by the wife and child making dinner in the other room, things are A-OK around the Onstad house. I just wish she'd started the soup with a ham hock.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
Well, I apologize for bringing it up.

Silver lining, at least you're at the point in celebrityhood where people speculate about your marriage?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I read in The National Enquirer that Mr. Onstad is a crackerjack family man with no skeletons or flaws. I thought it was a bit of a departure from their regular articles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

I just wish she'd started the soup with a ham hock.

I wonder what hidden meaning Onstad could want me to decode by this, time to delve deep into uncomfortable speculation!

I really like your comic :)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chris Onstad posted:

I just wish she'd started the soup with a ham hock.

trouble brewing :tinfoil:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

trouble brewing :tinfoil:
We all know every single Achewood strip and internet post that Onstad has ever made is an obvious comparison to his real life, but you are right: that was by far the most blatant.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I think I've decoded something in the URLs of each strip:
pre:
BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE
A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
They ran the We Got That B-Roll youtube thing on tosh.0 tonight, and look what I saw!

Heyyy, I got that T-shirt. It's got a detergent stain on the logo and is worn enough that it's been downgraded to "work-out apparel", but I got that shirt.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
:siren: We got a new strip! :siren:

Roast Beef has the most terrible past :(.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

EndOfTheWorld posted:

They ran the We Got That B-Roll youtube thing on tosh.0 tonight, and look what I saw!

Heyyy, I got that T-shirt. It's got a detergent stain on the logo and is worn enough that it's been downgraded to "work-out apparel", but I got that shirt.

I've got one of the Roast Beef 'science' logo shirts, but I bought it around 2004, 2005. It's beat to death and the logo's nearly chewed off from washing. I need to replace it. Achewood's the only webcomic I ever bought merchandise from.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Just wanted to brag that we premium subscribers got a fourth row to the new strip. :smug:

edit; I'd also like to add that I absolutely love these flashback strips showing Ray and Beef as young 'uns. That one where Beef got caught shoplifting a gay stroke book is one of my all time favorites.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 15, 2010

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Smoke posted:

Awwwww, if only Ray had adopted him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smoke posted:

No man should have to clean up another man's dog's shits.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

5er posted:

I've got one of the Roast Beef 'science' logo shirts, but I bought it around 2004, 2005. It's beat to death and the logo's nearly chewed off from washing. I need to replace it. Achewood's the only webcomic I ever bought merchandise from.

Yeah, same here. I wouldn't be against buying another round of classic Achewood Tees (hint hint, Mr. Onstad). I do have weddings to attend, after all, and I want to look classy.

But yeah, never bought merch from a website before Achewood.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did a special order of Roast Beef "Science" stickers for all of my music gear. RB was the perfect size to cover up the Poison Control sticker that was on the cheap P-bass I bought.

Hell, I once read "Great Outdoor Fight" aloud to an audience.

I like that the merch features so much bonus content, and am looking forward to volume 3.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This event in February looks really awesome.

Nick Gurewitch & Chris Onstad - "Internet Famous: The Life & Times of Nick & Chris"

Free and open to the public, but I am completely on the wrong coast for it.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Having only just started reading Achewood I had a quick question about the three hardback books that are available.

The first one (I assume) is the collected Great Outdoor Fight strips - are the other two just collections of all the strips in chronological order like the paperback books you can buy direct from the site?

Ideally I just want to get everything done (so far) in order and I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jeremys Iron posted:

Having only just started reading Achewood I had a quick question about the three hardback books that are available.

The first one (I assume) is the collected Great Outdoor Fight strips - are the other two just collections of all the strips in chronological order like the paperback books you can buy direct from the site?

Ideally I just want to get everything done (so far) in order and I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is.

You're exactly right, though Vol 2 doesn't begin at the beginning since it seems Onstad doesn't feel the strip really found its feet until the arrival of the cats, which is where it begins. The early strips are still included in Vol 2 though, but they are relegated to the back and are considered "bonus material"

edit for clarity; the early strips were when the strip was finding its voice and as a result a lot of the characters behave in ways that are inconsistent with their modern day selves. Think of those as "proto-Achewood" strips.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 16, 2010

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Also keep in mind that the hardcover versions include the alt-text and Onstad's thoughts on all comics, and include a bit of backstory for some of the major characters.

And Volume 3 isn't available yet.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

So basically the hardcovers are a better way of getting the comics than the (presumably paperback?) editions on the website?

Does buying straight from the website get Onstad more cash? I always used to assume that was the case but I once got a very nice email from the chap who writes Get Your War On saying I should buy his books on amazon as it didn't make much difference to his bottom line.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Oh man, Get Your War On was great, I haven't seen one in forever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jeremys Iron posted:

So basically the hardcovers are a better way of getting the comics than the (presumably paperback?) editions on the website?

Does buying straight from the website get Onstad more cash? I always used to assume that was the case but I once got a very nice email from the chap who writes Get Your War On saying I should buy his books on amazon as it didn't make much difference to his bottom line.

The paperback ones were self-published; the hardback ones are published by Dark Horse. The hardback ones have the alt text for each strip and more extras than the paperbacks. Not sure which nets Onstad more beer money.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hardbacks are worth the wait.

It's a nice way for me to revisit the comics, because I read all of the archives one week in 2006 and they're blurred together in my brain.

The background information is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Hardbacks it is then.

Syrant posted:

Oh man, Get Your War On was great.

Yes. Yes it was. I recommend the books.