Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!

PorkFat posted:

*edit* After looking through every game in the strategy genre in those years, I found it to be Uprising. A kick rear end game that I must hunt down and get working on my modern PC.

Thank you, I was wondering about this one too! :)

I have another game I'd like to find. This one was downloadable, but the download was huge. The plot was that you were at a party with a couple who were fighting, and you had to smooth their relationship out. Or something. The game was animated, but you interacted with the characters by your typing. The reason for the massive download size was that the programmers tried to account for every possible response you could make, and I remember a few videos on youtube with funny conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Diabetic posted:

This is going to be a stretch and I doubt it was ever released here but here goes:

I remember in an old EGM issue had Busby on the cover when they were previewing the SNES release, anyway, in this same issue, they had a Zelda clone that looked like it was being released on the Super Famicom, the main character looked like the exact replica of Link but had black hair with a gold band in it, and a red cape and was played from the top down perspective. The preview showed him on a ship that was being attacked by a giant octopus with it being SNES graphics it had the connecting orange and brown balls to represent tentacles. I have no idea what this game is, or if it was even released in Japan let alone the US, any help would be appreciated.

That's Wolfteam's Neugier, scheduled for release as 'The Journey Home: Quest for the Throne' by Renovation.

Fan translation. I was thrilled when this was released!

edit: dammit! anyway, an official release was scheduled, they even had box art and they were taking pre-orders. I had my parents order it for me and it never arrived.

bonus: the much less-ugly japanese box.

secretplot fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 5, 2010

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Power_13 posted:

I have another game I'd like to find. This one was downloadable, but the download was huge. The plot was that you were at a party with a couple who were fighting, and you had to smooth their relationship out. Or something. The game was animated, but you interacted with the characters by your typing. The reason for the massive download size was that the programmers tried to account for every possible response you could make, and I remember a few videos on youtube with funny conversations.

Facade! I guess you could mediate the couple's argument, but the real game is to see how much of an rear end in a top hat you can be before you get kicked out.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ninety posted:

Facade! I guess you could mediate the couple's argument, but the real game is to see how much of an rear end in a top hat you can be before you get kicked out.

Oh god, I remember that. You can get some hilarious strings of conversation going and I think even seduce them too.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!

ninety posted:

Thank you! :D I've just upgraded to a PC that can probably run it, so I wanted to see what I missed out on when it was first linked here.

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004
"You have no life experience and no clue. Loser! " -There, is that a better tagline?
If anyone can help me with this my mother would be very grateful. Back in the 80's we had an Amstrad CPC and she used to play a game called, Ted Blew it, or something similar. I think it must have been called something different in the US and Europe because no amount of searching through CPC game sites seems to help. I can't find it anywhere.

I recall it being a side scroller, each screen had a puzzle and once you completed a stage you would get another puzzle on another screen. It looked like Manic Miner in a way. Also I recall a rollercoaster level that no one could ever get past.

Any ideas?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
One of my earliest memories is watching my brother play this adventure game on my parent's old Macintosh Plus. You had a first-person perspective of whichever room you were in, much like in Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited. I remember the room you start off in has a shield lying on the ground. I think in an adjacent hallway there is a prisoner that attacks you if you open the door to his cell. I also seem to recall that you go underwater at some point.

The words "scroll" or "scepter" may have been in the title, but I am not at all sure about that.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Enclave posted:

If anyone can help me with this my mother would be very grateful. Back in the 80's we had an Amstrad CPC and she used to play a game called, Ted Blew it, or something similar. I think it must have been called something different in the US and Europe because no amount of searching through CPC game sites seems to help. I can't find it anywhere.

I recall it being a side scroller, each screen had a puzzle and once you completed a stage you would get another puzzle on another screen. It looked like Manic Miner in a way. Also I recall a rollercoaster level that no one could ever get past.

Any ideas?

Could it be Technician Ted?

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004
"You have no life experience and no clue. Loser! " -There, is that a better tagline?
Unfortunately no, I came across Technician Ted a while back thinking it might be it but sadly, it is not. Thanks for trying though!

Balphazar
Nov 13, 2009
i'm thinking of a game that i remember playing on mac os 9.

you played with another player and both rolled around as a ball and painted the trail behind you. the goal was to either trap the other player into hitting yours or his paint trail and/or covering the most surface area with your color before the time ran out.

Things i remember:
some playable characters were stalin and a ball of meat and i think an eyeball
some of the levels were named apartment and percolator
thats all i've got.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Playstation 1 samurai game. It's not Soul of the Samurai. I remember there being a dueling mode that was just a straight on side view and you could throw swords. There were also 1 hit kills, I remember that if you threw your secondary sword right as your opponent was ducking it'd go through their head and you'd be the coolest. help!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

teh z posted:

Playstation 1 samurai game. It's not Soul of the Samurai. I remember there being a dueling mode that was just a straight on side view and you could throw swords. There were also 1 hit kills, I remember that if you threw your secondary sword right as your opponent was ducking it'd go through their head and you'd be the coolest. help!

Bushido Blade?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I posted asking about this a while ago then lost the game and forgot the name again because I'm retarded

This was an arcade sidescrolling beatemup, you got orbs that gave you different powers and you could turn into a dog or ninja or samurai. If you've played it it's probably obvious

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Bushido Blade?

oh hell yes, thank you!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I posted asking about this a while ago then lost the game and forgot the name again because I'm retarded

This was an arcade sidescrolling beatemup, you got orbs that gave you different powers and you could turn into a dog or ninja or samurai. If you've played it it's probably obvious
Is it possible you're misremembering what you could turn into? Because it sounds a lot like Altered Beast.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

guppy posted:

Is it possible you're misremembering what you could turn into? Because it sounds a lot like Altered Beast.

Definitely sure it's not Altered Beast, I've played that before.
I typed in BEATEMUP SAMURAI NINJA DOG into google and got the game Sengoku though, pretty sure that was it although I remember it looking much nicer

http://hg101.kontek.net/sengoku/sengoku.htm

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Sengoku.

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!
Okay, this one's obscure. I only vaguely remember it, as I think I may have been 6 or 7 when I played it. But it had some very distinctive parts to it, so it might be doable.

It was an Arcade game, multiplayer (I'm thinking 2-4) with ship based... combat? I can't quite remember. Distinctive because you could buy upgrades between levels. And there aren't a whole hell of a lot of multiplayer arcade games with ship based combat where you buy upgrades. Or maybe it was sell things. I have no idea.

It's been haunting me for a while. Any ideas?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Definitely sure it's not Altered Beast, I've played that before.
I typed in BEATEMUP SAMURAI NINJA DOG into google and got the game Sengoku though, pretty sure that was it although I remember it looking much nicer

http://hg101.kontek.net/sengoku/sengoku.htm

You're probably remembering Sengoku 2 which does look much nicer.

The first one though is pretty rad, the game play is very simple and repetitive but it's impressive how much unique scenery and music is in the game for its time. Seriously impressive atmosphere.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Does anyone remember the name of this 2D shooter game that came out on the Sega Genesis back in the day, all I remember about it is:
- that Ronald McDonald was somehow involved in the story
- you could be either a white or a black kid
- you used a super soaker to shoot green goo at the weird aliens
- it was a 2d sidescroller

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Samu posted:

Does anyone remember the name of this 2D shooter game that came out on the Sega Genesis back in the day, all I remember about it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_%26_Mack:_Global_Gladiators

Global Gladiators

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Deceased Crab posted:

Okay, this one's obscure. I only vaguely remember it, as I think I may have been 6 or 7 when I played it.

As a tip to future posters, telling us your age isn't helpful. Telling us what year that was is.

edit: \/ Really? That's all the pertinent details you can remember?

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 12, 2010

HighOnBread
Sep 8, 2004
MHMMM MHMMMM
This was an older game for the SNES that I rented about two or three times and never made it more than like one screen into the game. It was maybe an adventure game or something, like I said, I'd be killed almost immediately every time.

Maybe a monster or something killed me, but something caused me to drop dead right off the bat and I could never figure it out. I've had a desire to find it again and see if my older, wiser self could figure it out.

Rudger posted:

Out of this World/Another World? You can die on the first screen and not very far after that.

If you're not mistaking it for an nes or genesis game, maybe it's The Immortal?

This is it. Thank you so much, I've been trying to figure out what game this was for years now. I guess it wasn't very popular.

HighOnBread fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 12, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Haha, thanks! I've wondered what that game was called for a while now. I used to play it all the time with my cousin (who is black) and always roll with the black character. It used to piss him off so much since he had to play as the white dude.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Samu posted:

Haha, thanks! I've wondered what that game was called for a while now. I used to play it all the time with my cousin (who is black) and always roll with the black character. It used to piss him off so much since he had to play as the white dude.

Good old 90's "Cool, Dude" attitude game!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HighOnBread posted:

This was an older game for the SNES that I rented about two or three times and never made it more than like one screen into the game. It was maybe an adventure game or something, like I said, I'd be killed almost immediately every time.

Maybe a monster or something killed me, but something caused me to drop dead right off the bat and I could never figure it out. I've had a desire to find it again and see if my older, wiser self could figure it out.

Sure SNES Dragon's Lair or Space Ace?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I'm looking for a game, but it may be easier just to help me find what it came on and let me find it myself.

The game came on a disc which was something like "500 MS DOS GAMES" or some such, I remember it having VGA Miner, Zork, and Hugo's House of Horror on it, as the only "big name" ones I can remember. I can't find any info of this disc anywhere, sorry. It had a bluish silver cover though.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetpack_%28video_game%29 and the Christmas version were on it too.

I'm looking for a dungeon crawler that was on the disc. It was top down, not first person. Space shot fireballs, which looked like red tears. I remember there being lava and acid(?), one of which spread through the rooms. I remember there being a potion which cut through acid and a potion called "Cyan Potion." Only other thing I remember is there was a worm-like enemy made up of Diamonds.

Carados fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 12, 2010

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Okay, here's a weird one that I haven't been able to find out what it is. Game for old black and white GameBoy system where I believe you played a group of four characters that moved left to right along the screen and could also move up and down. I think it also had a distinct "Japanese" style to it where the characters you could choose for your group were samurai and ninjas and you fought oriental-style dragons among other enemies.

Vague as hell description, I know, but I can't really offer any more help than that.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

HighOnBread posted:

Out of this World/Another World? You can die on the first screen and not very far after that.

If you're not mistaking it for an nes or genesis game, maybe it's The Immortal?

pud
Jul 9, 2001

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Okay, here's a weird one that I haven't been able to find out what it is. Game for old black and white GameBoy system where I believe you played a group of four characters that moved left to right along the screen and could also move up and down. I think it also had a distinct "Japanese" style to it where the characters you could choose for your group were samurai and ninjas and you fought oriental-style dragons among other enemies.

Vague as hell description, I know, but I can't really offer any more help than that.

Might be Mercenary Force.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Here's one that I've played a really long time ago and can only provide vague details.

Basically, it's a Playstation 1 game. You were on some sort of airship, then you crashed into this floating city. There's some survivors, and the first few parts of the game had you going around asking people what happened. Then you go off and explore and look for supplies or whatever. I remember it being a 3rd person type of platformer/survival-horrorish game. The only thing I can remember is that it had climbing mechanics and the title is like "Ode to Die" or "Ode to Death" or something. I can't find anything resembling the game on Google with those titles, though.

EDIT: Or maybe the title of the game is O. D. E. or something? I dunno, "ode" keeps popping up into my head when I try to remember the name of this game.

The game definitely had a dark feel to it, I remember being depressed and gloomy everytime I played it. Didn't really play it much because of that.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 12, 2010

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Constellation I posted:

Here's one that I've played a really long time ago and can only provide vague details.

Basically, it's a Playstation 1 game. You were on some sort of airship, then you crashed into this floating city. There's some survivors, and the first few parts of the game had you going around asking people what happened. Then you go off and explore and look for supplies or whatever. I remember it being a 3rd person type of platformer/survival-horrorish game. The only thing I can remember is that it had climbing mechanics and the title is like "Ode to Die" or "Ode to Death" or something. I can't find anything resembling the game on Google with those titles, though.

EDIT: Or maybe the title of the game is O. D. E. or something? I dunno, "ode" keeps popping up into my head when I try to remember the name of this game.

The game definitely had a dark feel to it, I remember being depressed and gloomy everytime I played it. Didn't really play it much because of that.

It's O.D.T.: Escape or Die Trying.

Onion Ammonia
Apr 29, 2009
Jesus Christ, if anyone figures this out I will cry tears of joy into a jar and mail it to you.

Okay, PC game, mid to late nineties. I probably remember it looking better than it actually did.

. Isometric view, I thought it was very similar to the first Diablo, but Diablo's sprites are better, it actually looked a bit more like the first Fallout.
. Similar setting to Diablo though, medieval-ish. The artstyle of the game was pretty grim, the colors were pretty muted. When I saw a screenshot of the first Fallout I had a pang of hope because of how gray and dreary it looked. The sprites weren't trying to be 3D though, and there was less brown and more gray.
. You start out in a forest, and it's possibly either nighttime, or the forest is just a dull shade of blue. Possibly there are giant mushrooms.
. So you're walking through the forest and come across a lake. There's a pier, and a bunch of druids have a chick tied up. She's wearing a white dress. They chop off her head and it rolls off the pier, and a dragon-ish monster's head comes out of the water and eats it. I was kind of :aaa: at that point because I was like 8 and oh poo poo what if my mom walks in on thiiissss.
. You keep going and get to a village where freaky poo poo is going on. Since I was a kid maybe I didn't understand exactly what was going on, but I remember thinking it involved cannibalism, or something like that. I remember there were human parts lying around some houses, and I think a fat ogre thing was involved. I think it killed me.

The thing is, I cannot remember what the main character looked like at all. I also don't remember any of the menus, or why the hell I stopped playing and never played it again, or even where I was when I played it. Because of that I keep thinking it wasn't a separate game at all, but instead was... a level in something? Or I don't even know, but seriously, who doesn't remember the protagonist of a game.

HEEELPPPP. I've been obsessed with finding this game for years, and I'm starting to think it was a dream or something.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Onion Ammonia posted:

Jesus Christ, if anyone figures this out I will cry tears of joy into a jar and mail it to you.

Okay, PC game, mid to late nineties. I probably remember it looking better than it actually did.

. Isometric view, I thought it was very similar to the first Diablo, but Diablo's sprites are better, it actually looked a bit more like the first Fallout.
. Similar setting to Diablo though, medieval-ish. The artstyle of the game was pretty grim, the colors were pretty muted. When I saw a screenshot of the first Fallout I had a pang of hope because of how gray and dreary it looked. The sprites weren't trying to be 3D though, and there was less brown and more gray.
. You start out in a forest, and it's possibly either nighttime, or the forest is just a dull shade of blue. Possibly there are giant mushrooms.
. So you're walking through the forest and come across a lake. There's a pier, and a bunch of druids have a chick tied up. She's wearing a white dress. They chop off her head and it rolls off the pier, and a dragon-ish monster's head comes out of the water and eats it. I was kind of :aaa: at that point because I was like 8 and oh poo poo what if my mom walks in on thiiissss.
. You keep going and get to a village where freaky poo poo is going on. Since I was a kid maybe I didn't understand exactly what was going on, but I remember thinking it involved cannibalism, or something like that. I remember there were human parts lying around some houses, and I think a fat ogre thing was involved. I think it killed me.

The thing is, I cannot remember what the main character looked like at all. I also don't remember any of the menus, or why the hell I stopped playing and never played it again, or even where I was when I played it. Because of that I keep thinking it wasn't a separate game at all, but instead was... a level in something? Or I don't even know, but seriously, who doesn't remember the protagonist of a game.

HEEELPPPP. I've been obsessed with finding this game for years, and I'm starting to think it was a dream or something.

This is either Ultima VII or VIII, I forget which one.

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!

Gromit posted:

As a tip to future posters, telling us your age isn't helpful. Telling us what year that was is.

Well I don't even remember THAT, and basic math is too hard for me. It was more an explanation why I don't remember jack about it. And it was an arcade game, there's no way of telling what year it was from. Probably an 80s game.

Onion Ammonia
Apr 29, 2009

zombieman posted:

This is either Ultima VII or VIII, I forget which one.

Ultima VIII looks so loving close, holy poo poo. I found it on Abandonia, so I'm gonna check it out. On the wiki page it says you see a dude get executed, but I'm almost positive it was a chick. But it's been forever, so I could be wrong about everything.

EDIT: Wow, okay. :psyduck: You... must be right, because there are giant mushrooms AND there's a lady in a white dress involved in the beheading, AND the head gets eaten, but man, I do not remember it having so much color. There's grass and everything!

I still love you forever though. :3:

Onion Ammonia fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 12, 2010

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Deceased Crab posted:

Okay, this one's obscure. I only vaguely remember it, as I think I may have been 6 or 7 when I played it. But it had some very distinctive parts to it, so it might be doable.

It was an Arcade game, multiplayer (I'm thinking 2-4) with ship based... combat? I can't quite remember. Distinctive because you could buy upgrades between levels. And there aren't a whole hell of a lot of multiplayer arcade games with ship based combat where you buy upgrades. Or maybe it was sell things. I have no idea.

It's been haunting me for a while. Any ideas?

Ordyne? Or a Fantasy Zone game?

Or do you mean ship as in boat? Maybe In The Hunt?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Samu posted:

It wasn't for Megadrive/Genesis, but I'm almost certain you're talking about M.C. Kids.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

pud posted:

Might be Mercenary Force.

Oh yeah, this is totally it. I was honestly wondering if anybody would have any clue as to what the hell I was talking about. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Okay this has been killing me for years. Back in the mid 80's there was a 2-player arcade game that also had a (1 player) port to the Sega Master System. It was like a side-scrolling RPG with pretty colorful graphics. There was a money and shopping system, but what I remember most is this one part where you could run through like 2 screens of water, which means you died 2 or 3 times from constant health drain, to get to a secret shop with stuff I could never afford. "okay, mom, I'm out of quarters, let's go home :("