Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I think I remember some discussion of one-piece textile suits a while back but I cdan't find it.

I saw this on motorcycle closeouts
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/rustys+favorites/fieldsheer_cyclone+suit+-+one+piece
the fieldsheer cyclone suit.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What range of temperatures is it viable in?

Any comments on the overall protectiveness?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
HJC Carbon FS-15 helmets are on sale for $250 at RevZilla.com in four colors (bare, copper, blue & red) in a bunch of sizes w/ free shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/ybbfdmt

I ordered up a bare carbon one because a) I like carbon fiber and b) I am a loathesome human being

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
After Jabs' post on the previous page, I'm kind of wary of Snell helmets now, which sucks because that thing is tits.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ohwandernearer posted:

I think I remember some discussion of one-piece textile suits a while back but I cdan't find it.

I saw this on motorcycle closeouts
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/rustys+favorites/fieldsheer_cyclone+suit+-+one+piece
the fieldsheer cyclone suit.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What range of temperatures is it viable in?

Any comments on the overall protectiveness?

Thanks

It looks like basically an updated version of my Fieldsheer Highland. I'm sure someone will mention that Carbolex < Cordura, which is probably true, but other than that, my Highland took me from LA to the arctic circle and back without a drop of all that loving rain getting inside, while keeping me toasty as hell. Granted, it was the summer, but with the rain and stuff, I'm quite sure the wind chill brought it effectively below freezing a few times and I was fine. I had to leave out the quilted liner in all but the coldest stuff.

Had to leave it partially unzipped once I was back in Oregon and Cali because the venting sucked, but maybe they've improved that.

Made me look like a fat fighter pilot too, but them's the breaks.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Tsaven Nava posted:

My understanding is that off-road helmets catch the wind a lot and will buffet your head around at highway speeds.

I've never ridden with them though, so I have no personal experience on the matter

This is definitely true, but lets not forget the most important thing when it comes to motorcycle gear, looking cool, which makes one necessary if you ride an SM.

Click here for the full 510x768 image.

Yes, I just really wanted to post that picture of me.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Fantastipotamus posted:

HJC Carbon FS-15 helmets are on sale for $250 at RevZilla.com in four colors (bare, copper, blue & red) in a bunch of sizes w/ free shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/ybbfdmt

I ordered up a bare carbon one because a) I like carbon fiber and b) I am a loathesome human being

gently caress, I paid full retail for one of those a year ago. Oh well. That helmet is great, light and very comfortable. Nice find.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

pr0zac posted:

This is definitely true, but lets not forget the most important thing when it comes to motorcycle gear, looking cool, which makes one necessary if you ride an SM.

My girlfriend says that you look slim enough for her to be interested in you in a sexual manner.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Also, she says "I hope his face isn't ugly"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
she likes leather twinks huh?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

hahahaha

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

DEEARRZEEFOURHUNDREDSUPERHOMO

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Guess I need to invest in a motocross helmet and goggles now. =/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Went to the local shop, being winter they were full of snowmobile and ATV helmets, but there were some street helmets left.

Snagged this Scorpion. Now I just need a bike...

Not a huge fan of the graffiti style logo, but it's alright. That store had a hundred of those lovely Vega helmets.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
YAY! Look what just got dropped off at my office! :parrot:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Oh, you've got no idea . . . Raven457 is laughing because that statement is WAY funnier then you intended it to be, for reasons I'll refrain from hurting your brains with.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Oh, you've got no idea . . . Raven457 is laughing because that statement is WAY funnier then you intended it to be, for reasons I'll refrain from hurting your brains with.

I was gonna say, that wouldn't surprise me at all, coming from Capt. Burning man. :xd:

The Bike Gear Thread - Skinny leather twinks need not apply.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Just got my first 1 piece leather suit for track days in the spring summer and fall!

An AGV - SP6 and it feels good to finally have something better than my 2 piece textile stuff even if it is middle of the line. I might be sleeping in this tonight :parrot:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Picked up this http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/102/Textile_Jackets/Ballistic_7.0_Jacket and a HJC cl-15 off Newenough a week or so ago. Just need some overpants, gloves and boots then I can start looking for a bike!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Picked up this http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/102/Textile_Jackets/Ballistic_7.0_Jacket and a HJC cl-15 off Newenough a week or so ago. Just need some overpants, gloves and boots then I can start looking for a bike!

Fedex just delivered the same jacket for me, gotta love Newenough's prices :) Too bad I'm at work for another 2 hours. :(

For overpants, you might consider the Ballistic 7 pants. I've been using them for the last couple of weeks, and have been really happy with them. They go on and off easily enough over my jeans since the zipper comes all the way up to mid thigh.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

Fedex just delivered the same jacket for me, gotta love Newenough's prices :) Too bad I'm at work for another 2 hours. :(

For overpants, you might consider the Ballistic 7 pants. I've been using them for the last couple of weeks, and have been really happy with them. They go on and off easily enough over my jeans since the zipper comes all the way up to mid thigh.

Similar to your other pants, where the zipper goes all the way back to front.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm on a shoestring budget so I'm just hoping a good pair pop up on Newenough or elsewhere for a similar price.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Christmas in January!

Apparently, because I already had an order in with Revzilla.com, they shipped them together, because both my new front tire and the aforementioned helmet showed up today. The helmet was only ordered on monday, which is pretty crazy turn-around.

Helmet fits more snugly than my AC-12, but I'm fine with that, because a) the pads will break in and b) it may also only feel more snug because I haven't worn a helmet in like 2 months (:cry:). It's also got this awesome little piece of stretch fabric that goes under the chin, which is where most of the air sneaks into my current helmet, so it should be warmer on those cool days.

edit: oh yah, they also threw in one of those free wind-powered helmet lights. Worth it.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2010

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm on a shoestring budget so I'm just hoping a good pair pop up on Newenough or elsewhere for a similar price.

I hear you loud and clear there. After the holidays, an unplanned surgery in December and buying two bikes and gear for two riders in the space of 6 months, my wife is liable to shoot me if I mention buying anything any time soon.

However, just to play devils advocate -
https://www.new enough.com /pricing /private /2111
Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Textile Pants
$123.99 - $138.99

:)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Raven457 posted:

I hear you loud and clear there. After the holidays, an unplanned surgery in December and buying two bikes and gear for two riders in the space of 6 months, my wife is liable to shoot me if I mention buying anything any time soon.

However, just to play devils advocate -
https://www.new enough.com /pricing /private /2111
Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Textile Pants
$123.99 - $138.99

:)

I hope that's the regular price, I won't have any more cash to spend for a few weeks at least! Stupid book prices.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

I have a Firstgear jacket and Field Sheer over pants, and the zippers are the same size. I go to zip them together and the zippers point in different directions.

Have any of you stitched another zipper onto a piece of gear?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Tipped posted:

I have a Firstgear jacket and Field Sheer over pants, and the zippers are the same size. I go to zip them together and the zippers point in different directions.

Have any of you stitched another zipper onto a piece of gear?

Lots of people will get this done at a tailor when they mix gear brands. Should only be a $10-15 job, and you'll be able to get it double-stitched for strength.

edit: this is just anecdotal advice

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I'm more of a car guy but saw this today in the paper and thought it looked like a really good idea, but what do you guys that ride think... gimmick or lifesaver?

quote:

ThermaHelm™ - Brain Cooling Helmet Technology

Head injuries occur in 80% of all motorcyclist fatalities. A key factor in these injuries is brain swelling inside the helmet and the response time to address the issue. ThermaHelm™ technology helps to mitigate this problem by cooling the rider's head post-accident.

A standard helmet acts like an insulator. The polystyrene foam found in ALL motorcycle helmets is the same white foam that in installed in the walls of ALL refrigerators and portable coolers. It's the perfect energy absorber...and insulator. The helmet acts like an oven to an already hot, sweaty head causing post accident brain temperatures to potentially reach a fatal threshold. This is how motorcycle riders can die.

ThermaHelm™ technology works by triggering an endothermic chemical reaction inside the helmet lining at the moment of impact. The helmet immediately cools the motorcyclists head, keeping it cold even before the emergency services could have been called.

The technology is fitted to the very best existing motorcycle helmets that have passed stringent safety tests. By combining these quality helmets with this revolutionary brain cooling device, ThermaHelm™ can give a much needed lifeline to victims of motorcycle accidents.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd be curious how effective that is at helping mitigate injuries. If it's something that just helps across the board, even a little bit, then that's good. If it's something that just helps with severe injuries, then I'd think it's more gimmick than anything else. It's not gonna do anything bad, so as long as it's reasonably priced, one step closer to better protection is good.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 15, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's really only for serious injuries. You need a pretty hard hit to cause brain swelling.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A box arrived from my Dad today, wasn't expecting anything but I guess it's a late Christmas present because Mom was making him clean out the closet. It is his old riding jacket...the jacket his parents bought him when he got his first street bike. It turns out we were drat near identically sized because it fits great. Apparently he went down in it a couple times when crossing the frozen lake on his enduro to get to class :black101:

Looking at the buttons it turns out it is a Schott jacket, hadn't heard of them until just now. It seems like a pretty nice jacket but lacks armor and the liner that it came with. Have been thinking of picking a upper armor suit like you guys have been talking about and might wear that with this jacket.

Normally I don't really care what I look like as long as I'm safe but thinking this could be nice for dates and stuff where the full leathers or textile wouldn't be as nice. Can't figure out what type of pants to pair with this.

Guess I want to look pretty sometimes when out playing on the motard :gay:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Old man jackets are the best jackets to rep on motards. Not hugely protective, but you'll be fine with a upper body under armor setup. Nice jacket :) Mine is from my g/f's dad, who rode before he passed away...it's classy as gently caress.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Haha, an armor shirt under your jacket is only a minor step up from a full textile or leather suit if you're talking about being out and about.

Personally, I'd go with a normal leather jacket with armor, and some riding jeans with shin/knee guards underneath if you still want to be well protected and look normal once you take your jacket off.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's really only for serious injuries. You need a pretty hard hit to cause brain swelling.

From what I understand of physiology, this thing might help go from "definitely dead" to "vegetable."

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ohwandernearer posted:

From what I understand of physiology, this thing might help go from "definitely dead" to "vegetable."

those being the options, dead is preferable

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

ohwandernearer posted:

Hypothermia therapies are most effective in reducing long-term impairment when applied immediately after trauma, so it's actually really not a bad idea at all. If effective, it'd be more like going from "mumble-tastic-forget-everything" to "problems with attention and short-term memory".

That said, I'm not about to run out and buy one myself. I think hypothermia treatments in most clinical trials involve cooling the blood externally before recirculating it, which is far more effective than attempting to induce hypothermia by cooling the head with an ice pack.

Edit: I work for the VA in a brain injury research clinic, and my coworkers give me endless poo poo for riding up on my SV every day, rain or shine...

benwards fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 15, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
My pair of Fieldsheer Polar gloves arrived today, and I'm a bit worried about the fit. I sized up one as per suggestions within customer reviews, but they're still about a half size too small.

On top of that, I'm used to my lovely little A* shorty gloves, so the loss of feel to the controls is kind of unnerving. I rode around for a few hours today to try and break them in a bit, but it still feels like I'm operating a pillow. Is this something that I'll eventually get used to?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 16, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

AncientTV posted:

My pair of Fieldsheer Polar gloves arrived today, and I'm a bit worried about the fit. I sized up one as per suggestions within customer reviews, but they're still about a half size too small.

On top of that, I'm used to my lovely little A* shorty gloves, so the loss of feel to the controls is kind of unnerving. I rode around for a few hours today to try and break them in a bit, but it still feels like I'm operating a pillow. Is this something that I'll eventually get used to?

I think it's just the nature of thick gloves. After I've been riding with my thick Olympia winter gloves for a while, and then I go back to my thin summer gloves, it's almost like having a whole new bike.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

AncientTV posted:

Yeah, you'll get used to it. I felt like I had to relearn clutching completely when I first tried my winter gloves on my new scooter, but conversely when you make the switch to summer gloves it's like riding barehanded.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

AncientTV posted:

I rode around for a few hours today to try and break them in a bit, but it still feels like I'm operating a pillow. Is this something that I'll eventually get used to?
I'm in a similar bind involving a pair of A* SMX-6 gloves - apparently 3XL is about 2-5mm too short in the fingers for me (drat). All I can do is tug on the material and hope that a few more hours of use will result in a slightly-less-snug fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Turns out losing weight is going to cost me a god damned fortune
:smithicide:

One of my goals before this summer is to lose a significant amount of weight.. roughly 50-60lbs. I knew I was going to be needing some new riding gear but I completely forgot about my helmets. Last season I bought THREE new helmets.. a nice Suomy, a Shark, and that cheapo HJC. My jawline is going to be slimming down during all of this and I dont think one of my helmets supports larger pads in the size range that I got... only smaller stuff. What the gently caress should I do?