Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Sutureself posted:

Okay this has been killing me for years. Back in the mid 80's there was a 2-player arcade game that also had a (1 player) port to the Sega Master System. It was like a side-scrolling RPG with pretty colorful graphics. There was a money and shopping system, but what I remember most is this one part where you could run through like 2 screens of water, which means you died 2 or 3 times from constant health drain, to get to a secret shop with stuff I could never afford. "okay, mom, I'm out of quarters, let's go home :("

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Sutureself posted:

Okay this has been killing me for years. Back in the mid 80's there was a 2-player arcade game that also had a (1 player) port to the Sega Master System. It was like a side-scrolling RPG with pretty colorful graphics. There was a money and shopping system, but what I remember most is this one part where you could run through like 2 screens of water, which means you died 2 or 3 times from constant health drain, to get to a secret shop with stuff I could never afford. "okay, mom, I'm out of quarters, let's go home :("

Sounds a little like Gauntlet but I'm not 100% on what it is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
PC shooter, 3D graphics, futuristic art style. It predates the cel shading craze by a couple of years I think, but they were going for that kind of style.

Each map is a horizontally oriented arena several screens wide, that the player can traverse at will. One key flips your ship's orientation, so that you can move right and fire left, or vice versa, and another changes between one of your two weapon systems.

There's a minimap in one corner, that shows the whole arena and the location of enemies. It's important to destroy enemies quickly, otherwise they upgrade themselves to become faster, stronger and meaner. Destroyed enemies sometimes drop power-ups; moving over one upgrades your currently active weapon system, to a maximum of ten levels. Your current upgrade level is shown as two horizontal bars, divided into ten squares.

For the first couple of maps, there are walls so you can't fall off the playing field. For the third or fourth one (the last I made it to), the walls are gone and the field is particularly narrow. The first boss fight is on the same map, against a gigantic yellow spider robot that moves back and forth down the middle of the map, sometimes leaping high into the air. It has several flashing weak spots, I think four on the front and two on the back, but the back ones are hard to hit because the drat thing rotates its entire central body to face you when you try to bum rush it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My co-worker is asking about a PS2 game. He says it was first person, and it involved something where a player's arm/hand was glowing with radiation or because it was poisoned or something along those lines.

He says the cover had the main character and a girl on it, and also at some point in the game there was a cat that kept appearing and disappearing.

I haven't done a lot of googling yet, figured I would have a better bet posting here and googling simultaneously.

Sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Found it, it was an Xbox game, Breakdown.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 12, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Around 1992 or so there was a game that had primitive isometric 3d, similar to Twilight: 2000's system (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/twilight-2000/screenshots/gameShotId,126928/). It was set in medieval Europe - for some reason I'm thinking Germany - and mixed history with some magical elements. Anyone?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

Zain posted:

Sounds a little like Gauntlet but I'm not 100% on what it is.

Not a bad guess, but EVERYONE knows Gauntlet! Elf shot the food!!

But this particular unknown game was a side-scroller. I feel it was more akin to Wonder Boy in Monster Land as opposed to Gauntlet. Except maybe with quarter-eating elements to it.

Edit: missed your post, secretplot. I had WBiML for the SMS so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that... unless it had a 2-player arcade cabinet that I remember as being different.

Sutureself fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 12, 2010

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Around 1992 or so there was a game that had primitive isometric 3d, similar to Twilight: 2000's system (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/twilight-2000/screenshots/gameShotId,126928/). It was set in medieval Europe - for some reason I'm thinking Germany - and mixed history with some magical elements. Anyone?

Darklands, possibly?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Light Crusader, for the Genesis? Another Genesis game that used that perspective (and had hard jumping puzzles because of it) was Land Stalker.

Meepy
Jan 3, 2010
It was for SNES, I think.
Pretty sure it was a JRPG, pretty sure it wasn't Final Fantasy, pretty sure in battles you would have an enemies at the top in front of you kind of view, sort of like EarthBound. My most vivid memories of the game as a child were block puzzles I couldn't figure out and fighting this guy who looked like a marshmallow.

Can't for the life of me remember what it is, been trying to find it again for years.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bieeardo posted:

Darklands, possibly?

From the screenshots that looks like the game. Thank you!!

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Meepy posted:

Pretty sure it was a JRPG, pretty sure it wasn't Final Fantasy, pretty sure in battles you would have an enemies at the top in front of you kind of view, sort of like EarthBound.
Your description of the battle screen makes me think of the Phantasy Star series, although those were on the Genesis/Mega Drive. Did it look something like this?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Meepy posted:

Pretty sure it was a JRPG, pretty sure it wasn't Final Fantasy, pretty sure in battles you would have an enemies at the top in front of you kind of view, sort of like EarthBound. My most vivid memories of the game as a child were block puzzles I couldn't figure out and fighting this guy who looked like a marshmallow.

Can't for the life of me remember what it is, been trying to find it again for years.

Lufia?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Enclave posted:

If anyone can help me with this my mother would be very grateful. Back in the 80's we had an Amstrad CPC and she used to play a game called, Ted Blew it, or something similar. I think it must have been called something different in the US and Europe because no amount of searching through CPC game sites seems to help. I can't find it anywhere.

I have a feeling this could be Dynamite Dan II under another name, but I don't remember a rollercoaster in that one. Lots of conveyorbelts and pipes and things, however.

Meepy
Jan 3, 2010

Connellingus posted:

Phantasy Star?
I didn't own a Genesis, but yeah it looked somewhat like that.

Grawl posted:

Lufia?
I think it might actually be that, I've been looking into Lufia recently. Thanks for the help.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

pud posted:

It's O.D.T.: Escape or Die Trying.

Thanks! drat, and it only took 5 minutes. Was this game fairly popular or something? I'll be definitely looking through Google about this game since I never got that far into it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, old school PC puzzle game, mid to late nineties, you basically rolled a brightly colored cube around and tried to match the colors on the cube faces with the colors on the game grid. Eco-cube or something like that, I've never been able to find it, and the music and graphics were great.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Sutureself posted:

Not a bad guess, but EVERYONE knows Gauntlet! Elf shot the food!!

But this particular unknown game was a side-scroller. I feel it was more akin to Wonder Boy in Monster Land as opposed to Gauntlet. Except maybe with quarter-eating elements to it.

Edit: missed your post, secretplot. I had WBiML for the SMS so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that... unless it had a 2-player arcade cabinet that I remember as being different.

Gasp! Could it have been Cadash, for the Genesis, and not the SMS? It's the only other side-scrolling arcade rpg with a shop hidden in deadly water I can think of.

The trick to getting through the water is avoiding it, then beating the kraken, and then you can breathe underwater!

Anyway I hope this is the game or I will be stumped and sad.

PS you're better off with the MAME version. At least you can insert more quarters--the Genesis version gives you three continues to plow through the whole game. And it's missing the priestess and ninja. TG16 version isn't bad, and I think it even lets you save.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

secretplot posted:

Gasp! Could it have been Cadash, for the Genesis, and not the SMS? It's the only other side-scrolling arcade rpg with a shop hidden in deadly water I can think of.

Holy crap I think this might be it! The screenshots look nothing like I remember, but the name and the cabinet and the description are all there; sounds like a winner! You have slain a demon of my past, brave knight. (EDIT: after watching a youtube clip, this is definitely it)

Sutureself fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 13, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Sutureself posted:

There were other Wonder Boy games too, have you looked at Wonder Boy in Monster World, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap/Monster Lair etc?

edit: or not, oh well :)

Cranky posted:

Ok, old school PC puzzle game, mid to late nineties, you basically rolled a brightly colored cube around and tried to match the colors on the cube faces with the colors on the game grid. Eco-cube or something like that, I've never been able to find it, and the music and graphics were great.

Endorfun.

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2010

Red Budenovka
Oct 28, 2007
Going to grandma's house with vodka and bliny.
This is a "dragon shoot'em up" of which I saw videos on youtube a while ago.

I thought the name was Drakengard but I don't recognize it when I looked it up recently. It too had multiple endings apparently, most of them depressing. The final boss-battle is a giant statue/angel/god of sorts that comes crashing down into a city and you have to circle it and bounce back soundwaves (songs?) which the statue-thing shoots out against you.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Red Budenovka posted:

I thought the name was Drakengard but I don't recognize it when I looked it up recently. It too had multiple endings apparently, most of them depressing. The final boss-battle is a giant statue/angel/god of sorts that comes crashing down into a city and you have to circle it and bounce back soundwaves (songs?) which the statue-thing shoots out against you.

The only other Dragon shootemup I can think of is Panzer Dragoon games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think that's how the final boss of Drakan: The Ancient Gates works (on PS2, not sure about the PC version).

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!

secretplot posted:

Ordyne? Or a Fantasy Zone game?

Or do you mean ship as in boat? Maybe In The Hunt?

Nah, not Ordyne. Too colorful. Had duller space tones, and a top down view, vaguely like Star Control 2.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, nostalgia. Try this one: I played an arcade game once at a bowling alley on my birthday... it was a James Bond-esque action game. Like "Rolling Thunder" but super gimmicky-- the first level is skydiving, there's an underwater level, etc. On the game over screen, it shows the pyramids, the Eiffel Tower and the White House getting nuked. Bowling alleys had the most interesting games!

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Espresso Steampunk posted:

Wow, nostalgia. Try this one: I played an arcade game once at a bowling alley on my birthday... it was a James Bond-esque action game. Like "Rolling Thunder" but super gimmicky-- the first level is skydiving, there's an underwater level, etc. On the game over screen, it shows the pyramids, the Eiffel Tower and the White House getting nuked. Bowling alleys had the most interesting games!
That would be Sly Spy, a.k.a. Secret Agent.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Connellingus posted:

That would be Sly Spy, a.k.a. Secret Agent.

You're the best! That jogs my memory... I had a speech problem back then and this title was nearly impossible for me to say.

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

Social Animal posted:

The game was set in like a pacman style maze. You moved a triangle around that shot bullets and you fought against another triangle who did the same. I remember sometimes the enemy triangle would fire a heat seeking missile at you. I keep wanting to say it was Flashmaze but that was just an old BBS doorgame but this game was strictly DOS I think. Ancient game, probably very early 90s if not very late 80s.

Speaking of which I wonder if this is the same game that GaoGaoStegosaurus is thinking of.

edit: Oh yeah I asked my older brother a few years back (he was the one playing it on our 286) what that game was and he replied Spectre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(computer_game)) which obviously wasn't right because Spectre is 3d, not overhead view.

"Targ"? or its sequel "Spectar"? (Not Spectre)

Hey all, yes, n00b here, I pretty much joined for this forum and this thread.

I have a sheet of jotted notes labelled "What drat Game Was This?" and I figured the one place I could get answers would be here.

I don't want to be rude and flood a bunch of requests, so I'll dole em out over time.

First off, there was a Doom-clone I read about years ago in PC Gamer or some such, but never played. The review mentioned that during multiplayer, characters could pick up a camouflage item that made them appear as a tree. Ring any bells?

EDIT: Never mind, after mulling this one over I recalled it had "Greed" in the title and found it to be "In Pursuit of Greed".

Catbasketry fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 14, 2010

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Espresso Steampunk posted:

You're the best! That jogs my memory... I had a speech problem back then and this title was nearly impossible for me to say.

If you have a Wii, you can own this game on Data East Classics when it comes out next month (along with Bad Dudes, CRUDE BUSTER and Heavy Barrel)! :D

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
This has been bugging me for so long now: back when I first got my Commodore 64 in Christmas 1990, I also got covertape from a magazine, which contained the full versions of the games 'Firefly' and 'Trantor: The Last Stormtrooper', on the first side of the tape.

I remember the second side of this tape had a demo of some kind. It wasn't a full, interactive game, but if you pressed the number keys, the scene would change. I've heard from another source that the magazine was called 'The complete Guide to the Commodore 64' and the demos were of 'The Last Ninja Remix', but I swear that the demo I remember was of a top-down game, not isometric.

EDIT: Forget it, I can confirm it was 'The Last Ninja 3'. I just found a C64 image that behaves just like I remember it.

The Entity fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2010

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I think that's how the final boss of Drakan: The Ancient Gates works (on PS2, not sure about the PC version).

There wasn't a PC version of the 2nd Drakan game, unfortunately. The final boss of the 1st Drakan was a large 4-headed dragon, and you basically just shot dragonfire into its mouths one by one til you killed it.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Catbasketry posted:

First off, there was a Doom-clone I read about years ago in PC Gamer or some such, but never played. The review mentioned that during multiplayer, characters could pick up a camouflage item that made them appear as a tree. Ring any bells?

That makes me think of crappy Doom clones, and crappy Doom clones make me think of Rise of the Triad.

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010
It's not ROTT, I know that. Around the same time though, that's for sure. This one was a real Z-list doom clone, I want to say it had "Greed" in the title, but not sure.

EDIT: as soon as I remembered that bit just now, I searched Mobygames, and I think I found it.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/in-pursuit-of-greed

Catbasketry fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 14, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red Budenovka posted:

The final boss of Drakengard is a giant angelic statue thingy in the middle of a city and you bounce white rings against it. The game also has multiple horribly depressing endings.

I'm 100% positive it's Drakengard.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Two side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade games I remember.

One I played at a putt-putt arcade in the late 80s. NES level graphics or maybe a little worse. It was pretty standard as far as such things go, but I remember enemies dying in an odd way; they would like melt. Not fall over and be a body on the ground, not do their hit animation and vanish or fade line-by-line, I'm quite certain they melted, and the resulting puddles stayed for at least a short time before vanishing (or not.) The vast majority of enemies were just different colors of the same guy. I don't call it palette-swapping because there wasn't really a palette. Guys would be one color with some minor details in brown/black/etc, and that one color would be changed. Either the hero or some bad guys were predominantly white, yellow, green, or blue. I believe but am not sure the main character had a gun (notable in the side-scrolling beat-em-up genre) or could pick one up periodically. It is possible the gun would make enemies melt and other attacks would not?

The other I played in a mall arcade a few years later, like early 90s. Vastly improved graphics, like SNES/Genesis game levels. Uninspiring side-scrolling beat-em-up, pretty Final Fight like, but on this one I'm absolutely certain that you could get a gun off some enemies and subsequently just slaughter entire screens of guys by plugging away with this handgun. The enemies who had the handguns could similarly cheese the poo poo out of you, particularly once groups of them started spawning on both sides of the screen.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

chairface posted:

The other I played in a mall arcade a few years later, like early 90s. Vastly improved graphics, like SNES/Genesis game levels. Uninspiring side-scrolling beat-em-up, pretty Final Fight like, but on this one I'm absolutely certain that you could get a gun off some enemies and subsequently just slaughter entire screens of guys by plugging away with this handgun. The enemies who had the handguns could similarly cheese the poo poo out of you, particularly once groups of them started spawning on both sides of the screen.

I haven't played this myself, but it sounds like Vendetta.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
The game I forget was a robot fighting game, and I believe it was on the PSX. I don't think you had actual control of the robots, but before battles you would program them with tiles. For example, you could use tiles to say "if missile is within 10 yards: jump left" or something of that nature. Thats about all I remember, other than I liked it :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

uG posted:

The game I forget was a robot fighting game, and I believe it was on the PSX. I don't think you had actual control of the robots, but before battles you would program them with tiles. For example, you could use tiles to say "if missile is within 10 yards: jump left" or something of that nature. Thats about all I remember, other than I liked it :(

This is probably Carnage Heart.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
It was an educational math game where you were an astronaut and would fly around and would solve problems, there were maybe five different stages where you did different things and I think in one level you fought an UFO and in another you were in a cave, it was kind of fun.

e:A two player arcade game where there was a fat guy and a skinny guy and you would move forward and beat baddies up then you'd get to move forward again. And in the end when you beat it one of the two guys would kiss the lady that was kidnapped in the beginning and she'd stand on tiptoes that's all I remember. It might have been Final Fight but I don't recognize it from the screenshots. Also I live in Brazil so stuff there is a bit late.

Greedish fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2010

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Rollersnake posted:

This is probably Carnage Heart.
Yessss, this is it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

chairface posted:

One I played at a putt-putt arcade in the late 80s. NES level graphics or maybe a little worse. It was pretty standard as far as such things go, but I remember enemies dying in an odd way; they would like melt. Not fall over and be a body on the ground, not do their hit animation and vanish or fade line-by-line, I'm quite certain they melted, and the resulting puddles stayed for at least a short time before vanishing (or not.) The vast majority of enemies were just different colors of the same guy. I don't call it palette-swapping because there wasn't really a palette. Guys would be one color with some minor details in brown/black/etc, and that one color would be changed. Either the hero or some bad guys were predominantly white, yellow, green, or blue. I believe but am not sure the main character had a gun (notable in the side-scrolling beat-em-up genre) or could pick one up periodically. It is possible the gun would make enemies melt and other attacks would not?

This one sounds like Rolling Thunder to me.