Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

Beat. posted:

An audit isn't really something to worry about in terms of going to jail, an audit is just a gigantic, and sometimes expensive, pain in the rear end. Typically if you're cooperative an audit can be resolved fairly quickly but you never know how much you'll end up paying. In a lower income bracket (I'll assume you're in because of your post) its really not something to worry about a whole lot. I doubt the IRS would even bother, but you never know.

It would help you most to take a "bookkeeping for small business" type class at a community college if you are really concerned about it. Understanding just a few basic things can really help you out in the long run.

If you learn how money works for business, even a little bit, it puts you at a big advantage over a lot of artists who cant/wont/dont know for whatever reasons. I guarantee you that most famous contemporary artists know a lot of basics or hire out a professional to help them.

Some things that can help you keep poo poo straight would be, setting up a separate bank account for your art related things (both income and expenses), keeping all your receipts, and having a good general idea of how much time you put into a particular project or piece. Maybe spend 1 hr a month to track all your incoming and outgoing cash on different projects, keep it in a binder. Almost all the people I know who make a portion of their income on creative work do something similar. Unless they work at a firm, then they just track hours on projects and the accountants figure the rest out.

I know how finances work to some extent, I work in a law firm in the accounting department, hahaha. I'm just wondering if there is some kind of threshold as far as how MUCH I make before I should start worrying.

I wouldn't need a professional to DO the taxes, I'm very aware of how TO do them, I just want to go on as long as I possibly can without having to pay anything out. I'm not sure why you assume I'm in a super low income bracket, my salary at the law firm isn't wildly gigantic but it is a good deal more than working low-end retail or something comparable to that.

I also don't feel like going through the pain in the rear end of doing the LLC thing or itemizing my deductions/ tracking expenses because I don't have anything complicated going on right now and I like it that way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I assumed that you don't make a lot of money on creative work because you're posting questions about it.

There's really know way to know if you'll get audited. I don't know anyone who works for the IRS but I am willing to bet that when they decide to start an audit it's based on thresholds and metrics surrounding how much activity is hitting a person or firms tax ID or social security number. So if you do a lot of buying and selling online, or accept personal checks, all that is hitting your soc. at some point or another.

If it makes you feel any better I don't know anyone who makes less than six figures who has ever been involved in an audit.

I hear you on the LLC thing. One of the big beefs I have with the local government is what an outrageous pain in the rear end it is to file all the paperwork involved with being a local business for the small guys. It's really, really, tough to keep up with all that bullshit and do any kind of "real" work without administrative support.

Edit, just to extend my rant a bit. On the whole, not needing a pro to do your taxes - I wonder if you have actually looked into what it takes to operate a small business just as a sole proprietorship, wherever you live. Technically speaking if you make sales within your state you're not only supposed to count it as income, but also supposed to be paying sales tax. That's completely separate from any kind of business name registration or license fees (typically state and county are separate). It can get very messy very quickly, comparing it to administrative work at a law firm is really apples and oranges.

And what happens if you decide to pay the fed but not the state (or vice versa) but one of them catches on via discrepancies in some report or another? Yeah, its a huge pain in the rear end. Well, I am including this bit just for the benefit of anyone else reading who is considering this, as people probably are, it's that time of year.

Beat. fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 13, 2010

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

Beat. posted:

I assumed that you don't make a lot of money on creative work because you're posting questions about it.

There's really know way to know if you'll get audited. I don't know anyone who works for the IRS but I am willing to bet that when they decide to start an audit it's based on thresholds and metrics surrounding how much activity is hitting a person or firms tax ID or social security number. So if you do a lot of buying and selling online, or accept personal checks, all that is hitting your soc. at some point or another.

If it makes you feel any better I don't know anyone who makes less than six figures who has ever been involved in an audit.

I hear you on the LLC thing. One of the big beefs I have with the local government is what an outrageous pain in the rear end it is to file all the paperwork involved with being a local business for the small guys. It's really, really, tough to keep up with all that bullshit and do any kind of "real" work without administrative support.

Oh, yeah, I don't make a ton on creative stuff alone, but it has been ramping up over the last year or so and I have an inkling that 2010 will bring more work, so I wanted to be prepared... got my w2s today and it reminded me hahaha. Thanks!

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.
I'm sure it varies by state to state and locality to locality but in my personal experience starting/running an LLC is so far from a pain in the rear end it's laughable. It's really not bad. Hit your library and pick up a few books on the subject.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Not Memorable posted:

I'm sure it varies by state to state and locality to locality but in my personal experience starting/running an LLC is so far from a pain in the rear end it's laughable. It's really not bad. Hit your library and pick up a few books on the subject.

The issue is not simply the filing of the paperwork for registrations and such, what I have found to be a greater pain-in-the-rear end is that you have to file certain things monthly/quarterly or you are subject to penalties. Where I live it is an issue of both county and state paperwork - so with fed that's 3 separate things you gotta keep track of on a monthly / quarterly basis. Even if your income is 0 for that month/quarter

As with many administrative things it's not complicated, it's just time consuming and a pain in the rear end.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Beat. posted:

The issue is not simply the filing of the paperwork for registrations and such, what I have found to be a greater pain-in-the-rear end is that you have to file certain things monthly/quarterly or you are subject to penalties. Where I live it is an issue of both county and state paperwork - so with fed that's 3 separate things you gotta keep track of on a monthly / quarterly basis. Even if your income is 0 for that month/quarter

As with many administrative things it's not complicated, it's just time consuming and a pain in the rear end.

If you are making over a certain amount you are supposed to pay estimated income taxes quarterly either way, whether you incorporate or not. I work in video and nearly every freelancer I know that's not making major dough just eats the penalty at the end of the year, the financial freedom of having that money in your bank account earning interest and as a potential safety net is better than the pitiful penalty.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
The answer to this is: Is this a business? Do you hope for it to become one? Then start doing it now while you have the time to start it right.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Not Memorable posted:

If you are making over a certain amount you are supposed to pay estimated income taxes quarterly either way, whether you incorporate or not. I work in video and nearly every freelancer I know that's not making major dough just eats the penalty at the end of the year, the financial freedom of having that money in your bank account earning interest and as a potential safety net is better than the pitiful penalty.

where I live (AZ) if you don't do your state level paperwork regularly (monthly) you can get in pretty deep poo poo, so I think it probably depends on location a bit... I know one person who is a friend of mine who has gotten really screwed on sales tax - screwed in the sense that they didn't pay it for like 5 years then had to cough it up

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

zap actionsdower! posted:

The answer to this is: Is this a business? Do you hope for it to become one? Then start doing it now while you have the time to start it right.

I have no real preference either way, if commissions keep coming to me I will keep taking them, but I do not actively market myself as a business. This is why I did not specify "I want to become a business".

May 3, 2009
Do any one here have any good recomendations for speech writing forums?

I wish to get into writing political speeches. I googled it and get tons of hits for people offering to write them for fee which is not helping me.

1830 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 18, 2010

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I'm trying to get some pencils printed on comic size (11x17) paper to get a sample package going, but all the printers I've been to have flat out refused. Some because they won't do non-standard paper sizes or under a hundred copies, others because I want to use a specific paper (inking on glossy photo paper would be difficult).

Does anyone know a printers in London, UK that will do this for me? I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but failing that can anyone point me at somewhere to post this where people might know?

I used to have a very good printers that would do all kinds of crazy stuff for me, but I live about an 1 hour away from them now.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

When dealing with audio, is (A over B) the same as (B over A)?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
hey guys, im working with indesign CS4. I've got a disc from a graphic designer who made my company a brochure. Its got a font folder with the fonts they used. How do I install these fonts for use on my machine? Its a one folder called 'Helvetica Neue' inside are a bunch of files that end in '._helneuxxx' where the xxx is a bunch of different things. how on earth do i use these?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Select all, move to C:\Windows\Fonts

If it's just the font files, you can select all and right click and "Install" will be right on top.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Make a copy of the folder and just rename them each one as (name).otf, and test to see if they install. That's assuming they are OpenType, maybe check what format they're supposed to be first. If not, get him to resend them with correctly formatted names, with the format after the period not the name of the font.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
I have two monitors, and when I try to put a movie fullscreen on one and do something else on the other, the movie doesn't stay fullscreen. I can sometimes get it to stay but I have to keep clicking back and forth.

Is there any way to get it to stay fullscreen? I'm using MPC if it makes any difference.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I want to write. I don't know what I want to write. I don't know where to start. I don't know if I'm good or if I'm bad, but I want to write. I just... want to write things down, I like words. But I can't keep journals, they got sloppy, I miss out on days when I should write in them and then I don't. I'm probably going to be terrible at this. Everything I touch, lately, turns to poo poo.

Please tell me where I can start to learn how to write. What do you think I should write about? Eventually, I would maybe write something here - offer critique and ask for some back.

Thanks

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Mannequin posted:

I want to write. I don't know what I want to write. I don't know where to start. I don't know if I'm good or if I'm bad, but I want to write. I just... want to write things down, I like words. But I can't keep journals, they got sloppy, I miss out on days when I should write in them and then I don't. I'm probably going to be terrible at this. Everything I touch, lately, turns to poo poo.

Please tell me where I can start to learn how to write. What do you think I should write about? Eventually, I would maybe write something here - offer critique and ask for some back.

Thanks

Start participating in the daily writing thread or the writing exercises thread, but be advised that people are going to be eager to beat that tortured artiste shtick right out of you. I do not know or care what you should write about. Honestly if you are asking these questions I think you probably shouldn't write. This is like asking the internet what you should major in in college. Do you read any books? What are the books you like about?

Orleans
Jun 16, 2009
Edit: Nevermind, I just went with it.

Orleans fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 21, 2010

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Does anyone know a printers in London, UK that will do this for me? I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but failing that can anyone point me at somewhere to post this where people might know?

quote:

I used to have a very good printers that would do all kinds of crazy stuff for me, but I live about an 1 hour away from them now.

You live in London, but aren't up to travelling for an hour to get somewhere? If you've mistyped the time it takes to get to your old printers, then I apologise, but

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
Font question: Sometimes when importing fonts all of the various versions of a font family will have the same style, which then allows only the use of one font from that family at a time.

Any idea of how to fix this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Kind of a vague question for digital artists with experience in Flash:

I'm using a Macbook and a Wacom Intuos. I doodled around on a trial copy of Flash CS4 using the brush tool, and I really dug how it behaved. The smoothing seemed really natural and the ability to alter curves seemed much simpler/easier than in something like Illustrator. Are there any cheaper alternatives that give this same feel? I'm not keen on paying for Flash when I'm only interested in some aspects of the drawing tool.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Should be able to get a copy of macromedia freehand for about £5 off ebay. Should work fine, no support though there should be a shitload of stuff online given how devoted some people are to it. Intuitive, really easy to use, and the things that made it stand out still haven't been fully incorporated into Iluustrator, just bits and pieces divided between that and flash.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
I need headphones that are loud (louder than the regular ipod by a good amount) but do not disturb the people around me. At the moment, when I listen to my ipod at work not only can everyone hear my music, it's not loud enough for me. I have no idea what I am looking for in terms of searching, good brands, etc. Help?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I would look for some over-ear headphones and one of those little altoid-tin headphone amps if I were you.

epopt
Feb 12, 2008

I've been wanting to experiment with digital art, but I need some advice where to start. What is a good program to begin with? I'm mostly interested in uploading drawings and coloring them in, hopefully with a program that has nice textures and fun tools- in other words, nothing super-basic, I'm hoping to see what I can do with a lot of options at my fingertips. I like having a lot of useful bells and whistles to play with. I've been leaning toward Adobe Illustrator from what I've read, but I wasn't sure if that is meant for more professional work rather than the casual artist?

Also, I'm interested in using a tablet for drawing... do those work with their own program, or are you supposed to use them together with your art program?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

stars posted:

I need headphones that are loud (louder than the regular ipod by a good amount) but do not disturb the people around me. At the moment, when I listen to my ipod at work not only can everyone hear my music, it's not loud enough for me. I have no idea what I am looking for in terms of searching, good brands, etc. Help?

I picked up a set of JVC HA-FX34 headhones a while back ad was pleasantly surprised with how well they sounded. The are a little uncomfortable at first, because that little marshmallow thing goes all the way inside your ear but it really helps block outside noise, and thee range is improved from the iPod headphones as well, they can play some really nice bass. I used them on an airplane, no problem. I don't know that they're louder than any other headphone (you'd need an amp to make the volume louder) but they do block out nearly all outside sound so you can actually hear things.

epopt posted:

I've been wanting to experiment with digital art, but I need some advice where to start. What is a good program to begin with? I'm mostly interested in uploading drawings and coloring them in, hopefully with a program that has nice textures and fun tools- in other words, nothing super-basic, I'm hoping to see what I can do with a lot of options at my fingertips. I like having a lot of useful bells and whistles to play with. I've been leaning toward Adobe Illustrator from what I've read, but I wasn't sure if that is meant for more professional work rather than the casual artist?

Also, I'm interested in using a tablet for drawing... do those work with their own program, or are you supposed to use them together with your art program?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can use tablets with any program you want, you can even use them as a replacement for your mouse. If you want to use the pressure sensitivity (allows you to increase the size of your brush by pushing down harder, etc.), you'll need a program that supports that. I'm not that familiar with illustrator, but it seems to have a steep learning curve, and being a vector program it's a little difficult if you aren't comfortable with drawing. Photoshop, Painter, Alias Sketchbook Pro, OpenCanvas, and Artrage all support pressure sensitivity in Wacom tablets.

If you're new to drawing, or just want something to doodle around in, I'd suggest Artrage, as you can buy the previous version of it for 20 bucks, or just get a stripped-down version for free. As for tablets, if you're not sure you're going to be using it a lot start out with something small like a Wacom Bamboo, they're not that expensive so if you find out that having a tablet doesn't actually make you a better artist or anjoy drawing more you won't be out several hundred bucks.

epopt
Feb 12, 2008

gmc9987 posted:

Useful info

Thanks gmc, that helps a lot. I looked up ArtRage and downloaded the free version, so I'll start by trying my hand at that. I appreciate the advice!

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy Shiva paintstiks is? They seem real expensive everywhere.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Edit: Resolved, thanks!

Can anybody help me with an illustrator file? I have CS2 but this file was made with something newer and I can't open it. If you could save it down for me, I'd be really grateful!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 4, 2010

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Is that a Hirst painting in the background there? Or am I losing my mind. If it is a Hirst, what is the name of it or the series or whatever?

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008
whoops wrong thread.

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2010

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

The March Hare posted:

Is that a Hirst painting in the background there? Or am I losing my mind. If it is a Hirst, what is the name of it or the series or whatever?

Gilbert & George/Gilbert & George ripoff, not Damien Hirst. Doesn't look like either of them, and can't see them popping up anywhere, so going to guess ripoff. Bookcase could be a Hirst maybe?

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 8, 2010

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

RobertKerans posted:

Gilbert & George/Gilbert & George ripoff, not Damien Hirst. Doesn't look like either of them, and can't see them popping up anywhere, so going to guess ripoff. Bookcase could be a Hirst maybe?

I doubt that is it a ripoff work, although that is mostly based on knowing that it is housed here: http://www.oma.eu/index.php?option=com_projects&view=portal&Itemid=10&id=19

I know almost nothing about them aside from having picked up that huge book someone printed on them at some point in my life, because I knew I had seen work like that before. For whatever reason I thought it was a Hirst but, well, obviously that is not correct. Thanks for the reply.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Ah, was just guessing, the guy just looked young and attractive rather than bespectacled and suited. House is pretty, though I'm not sure about the all-glass walls. G&G are ok, but the actual canvases aren't very interesting isolated from G&G themselves

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 10, 2010

Mr. Blue Sky
Jun 17, 2005

Can someone point me in the direction of the origin/history of the typical college/varsity/etc typeface? (examples here) It's used everywhere for everything trying to appear even remotely connected to post-secondary education, but why?

Ecojiro Desu
Feb 19, 2005
In Illustrator, how do you change the pen tool's default stroking brush? Or how do you tell it to draw only the path? It seems to only stroke with that ugly basic stoke.

Even if I select my stroke I just made and change the brush, the pen tool doesn't remember that brush for my next path.

Edit:
I'll throw in another little question I haven't been able to find the answer to:

when drawing with the pen tool and creating a new path at the same spot of another open path, is there a way to tell it not to connect the paths without messing with invisibility or locking? Like a hotkey or something?

Ecojiro Desu fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 12, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ecojiro Desu posted:

In Illustrator, how do you change the pen tool's default stroking brush? Or how do you tell it to draw only the path? It seems to only stroke with that ugly basic stoke.

Even if I select my stroke I just made and change the brush, the pen tool doesn't remember that brush for my next path.

Edit:
I'll throw in another little question I haven't been able to find the answer to:

when drawing with the pen tool and creating a new path at the same spot of another open path, is there a way to tell it not to connect the paths without messing with invisibility or locking? Like a hotkey or something?

Press F5 to open the brushes palette. With the path you want to change selected, choose a new brush. I don't remember if this carries over to the next path you make. Either way, having the palette open makes it literally one extra click. If you want it to draw only the path, just set both the fill and stroke to "none" (red bar).

To do that thing with non-connecting paths: select the path, ctrl-2 to lock, draw your new path, ctrl-alt-2 to unlock. I don't think there's any other easy way.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
Are there any esoteric resources for finding sheet music? I'd dearly like to perform Hard-Hearted Hannah in my voice class, but the only sheet music I've found is on pay sites and I've got a policy about not paying people for public domain.

I assume this is more relevant to CC than the music forum, but that's just at a glance.
edit
oh there's a subforum that seems sort of relevant, I'll post there too maybe

NOT PAUL LAYTON fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

have you tried local, university libraries or resources with access to music library databases (NAXOS Music Library) etc. ?