Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Maybe a DRZ-400SM TDI Fahrenheit Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*starts saving pennies for 2011 DRZ-450SM :fap:*

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode the DRZ down the the BMW dealership to pick up some parts for the E21 today. Turns out the parts guy used to ride one, is now riding a WR450 he converted. And its for sale $2800, he said it is converted and has some work done to it but no specifics. So if anyone in the Knoxville area wants a WR450 motard or knows someone that does let me know and I'll try to get you some info. I would be tempted if I didn't just pick up the DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode the DRZ down the the BMW dealership to pick up some parts for the E21 today. Turns out the parts guy used to ride one, is now riding a WR450 he converted. And its for sale $2800, he said it is converted and has some work done to it but no specifics. So if anyone in the Knoxville area wants a WR450 motard or knows someone that does let me know and I'll try to get you some info. I would be tempted if I didn't just pick up the DRZ.

:argh: Why are you all the way across the country.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

:argh: Why are you all the way across the country.
There is a chance I could get it shipped out there for very cheap if we have a site close to wherever you are. PM me if your interested.

On a side note I've been trying to figure out which car/truck comes closest to being the SM of the car world. Something horribly fun, near indestructible, great in the twisties, inexpensive etc. I'm almost thinking miata at this point but am open to suggestions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mid-90s Impreza since it's also mildly off-roadable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AWD Eclipse/Talon

I have also determined that the Zodiac is the supermoto of the boat world.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

AWD Eclipse/Talon

Zapcat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAqEMXsk-4

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Endless Mike posted:

Mid-90s Impreza since it's also mildly off-roadable.

i'd say pretty much most WRC cars would be close

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A supermoto is like having a Lotus Exige with monster truck wheels.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phat_Albert posted:

AWD Eclipse/Talon

You're drat right about that. We had a small fleet of Zodiacs where I was stationed in Antarctica, and when the scientists weren't using them we could check 'em out for recreational use. Man those were a blast, even if most of the time I did come back covered in bruises from getting smashed around from jumping off waves.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

A supermoto is like having a Lotus Exige with monster truck wheels.

Baja truck on slicks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Zool posted:

Baja truck on slicks.

That could be a winner. Same concept as a supermoto too. Start with a off road machine and throw slicks on it...wonder if you could street register one of those.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

NitroSpazzz posted:

That could be a winner. Same concept as a supermoto too. Start with a off road machine and throw slicks on it...wonder if you could street register one of those.
Seeing how it's not *that* different than, say, a kit car, I don't see why not, if it meets all the requirements for registering a street vehicle, like having a windshield, lights, horn, emissions requirements, etc.

Alternately, you could start with a Ranger or something, and Baja it up, but keep it shod in Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (The stickiest autocross tire that's still worth driving around town on).

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 21, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Add me to the list of people that have lost plates on Motards... Put about 70 miles on the DRZ yesterday to/from work and doing some last minute stuff before heading up north today. Went to go rearrange the garage this morning so my bikes would be out of the way while I was out of town and noticed the DRZ lost it's plate. So far I am 2 for 2 on bikes getting rid of their plates...drat

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is how I've kept my plate from coming off my DR:

Of course, it seems to have led to this problem:

Overall, I'm ok with it. The zipties keep the wing nuts from loosening - they haven't even moved since I've had the bike, and I've been riding it for over a year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Krakkles posted:

This is how I've kept my plate from coming off my DR:

Of course, it seems to have led to this problem:

Overall, I'm ok with it. The zipties keep the wing nuts from loosening - they haven't even moved since I've had the bike, and I've been riding it for over a year.

That seems like a pretty good way to do it. One problem though...the bolts/nuts are still there. The plate itself broke.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Drill another hole in the plate and safety wire or ziptie it to the bracket. Leave the tie loose you just want it to catch the plate if the bolts back out, or the plate breaks. Krakkles, you'll want to get on this right away :haw:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

The only other issue is that it's a 2-stroke, So unless you bring the stuff to pre-mix with, you're kinda limited to one tank of gas per ride.

I did a 7 week trip on a 2-stroke, it's definitely do-able. If you've got somewhere to keep a spare bottle (in my case, exterior pocket of a saddlebag) it's not that bad, and I don't think too hard to come by while you're traveling either. I tried to keep a reserve of at least half a liter, preferably a full 1L bottle at all times.

A small price to pay for the joy of farting smoke on your fellow motorists, and destroying the ozone layer :hellyeah:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

(Bit late I know).

When I sold my CBR and got my DRZ, the girlfriend was all for it because I convinced her it was safer as it was so much slower. Course then I started doing this regularly and she realized the truth. But by then I already owned the bike.

Click here for the full 1024x682 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pr0zac posted:

(Bit late I know).

When I sold my CBR and got my DRZ, the girlfriend was all for it because I convinced her it was safer as it was so much slower. Course then I started doing this regularly and she realized the truth. But by then I already owned the bike.

Excellent post/av combination.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pr0zac posted:

(Bit late I know).

My wife and I may be heading towards a divorce soon. Guess what the first thing I'm buying when she's outta the house is? Not because she wouldn't let me have one, but just because, gently caress why not get a badass new toy like that to cheer me up!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wondering if anyone has put dirt tires on their DRZ400SM and taken it on some trails. I would like to get back into dirt bikes and am debating spending a few hundred on dirt wheels/tires/brakes for the DRZ or just picking up an old KDX. I would think there would be plenty of people selling their dirt wheels that are converting to SM.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You're better off getting a dedicated dirt bike, the DRZ is heavy, swapping wheels and brakes will be a bit of a pain, and you'll beat the poo poo out of your street bike. Go pick-up a mid 90's Japanese 2-stroke for $500.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While the DRZ-SM shares suspension with the RM, the valving is completely different and geared towards street riding. Guys who have used DRZ-SM's offroad have blown seals and stuff like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks, I was thinking it would be pretty drat heavy for a woods bike as well. Will start looking for mid 90's two smoke to play with.

Also the speed humps they put in neighborhoods down here are way too much fun on a motard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks, I was thinking it would be pretty drat heavy for a woods bike as well. Will start looking for mid 90's two smoke to play with.

Also the speed humps they put in neighborhoods down here are way too much fun on a motard.

You mean the wheelie indicators? :haw:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

You mean the wheelie indicators? :haw:

Yeah thats it, pulled a really nice one off one of them. Lady going the other way waved then pulled a u-turn and chased me down. I thought she was pissed...turns out she just wanted to let me know I didn't have a plate :argh: I acted surprised and thanked her for letting me know.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 16, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Well, I was exposed to the motard bug today. A buddy in my neighborhood converted an KX85 for races (at Starke, for those of you in Florida). I lack any sort of brand knowledge, but he upgraded the suspension, brakes, geared it lower, and threw on a pair of slicks, and all I can say is :wtc:

Riding it was like taking all the silly things I would do on my bicycle, but with a ridiculously torque-y motor and absurdly powerful brakes. Also, it sounds like somebody kicked a baby lawnmower in the nuts and then force-fed it a bunch of amphetamines. It was maniacal fun.

Glorious.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 17, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75QSH1T4Vs&feature=related

This can't end well.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHOx-O1oJ9M&feature=related

Actually it went just fine. Have we found the MSF's replacement for the Blast?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soooooooo now I'm on the hunt for a 96+ DR650, partially because I want to have a trail bike to take to Upper Michigan this summer, and partially because I want to buy a second set of hubs and lace SM rims to them.

Anyone have a DR650 in the midwest that they want to give away out of goonerocity :huh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's a god drat ark of a trails bike. I've seen a few DR650's in Sumo trim, goofy big bastards. Lots of charm though. Like you just wanna see what the big oaf can do.

Which reminds me of one of my secret loves:

I want to buy one of these in Europe and run down 125cc motorcyclists like a Monster-Bike

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 20, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

That's a god drat ark of a trails bike. I've seen a few DR650's in Sumo trim, goofy big bastards. Lots of charm though. Like you just wanna see what the big oaf can do.

Yeah they're big bikes, I'm a big guy though, at 6'3", I havent found a bike I couldn't muscle around yet. I do still have a 250 2-stroke that I can take on the trails as well. I pretty much constantly miss my DRZ-400SM that I had, and the 650 is a good way to get back there for cheap. The Z had better suspension, but as long as the 650 can soak up bumps I'm fine.

I actually think they look pretty awesome in SM trim:

Basically like an overgrown DRZ-400SM. Either way, I wont be racing it or anything, so a good streetable SM is higher on my priority list than a good raceable SM. I may be tempted to take it to one of the SM trackdays that they hold up in Road America on the kart track, but that'd be it.

DR 800's, now THOSE are monsters.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 20, 2010

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Phat_Albert posted:

Soooooooo now I'm on the hunt for a 96+ DR650, partially because I want to have a trail bike to take to Upper Michigan this summer, and partially because I want to buy a second set of hubs and lace SM rims to them.

Don't forget to stop in K-zoo on your way up North for a day of riding my DRZ (and teaching me to wheelie)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Milwaukee to the 'Zoo to the UP is one hell of a trip compared to MKE to the UP :colbert:

Ha, I should get on the ferry to Muskegon and go that way.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Phat_Albert posted:

I may be tempted to take it to one of the SM trackdays that they hold up in Road America on the kart track, but that'd be it.

Do they still do that? Last time I was over there in August for American LeMans, the dirt half of the track looked pretty drat un-used.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe so, but now that I think about it, its been two seasons since I've been to an SM track day there, so I cant say for sure.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
So I got a KTM 690SMC. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

RyanIAm
Jul 27, 2004

LOLCAT
I'm about to drop some coin on an 07 400S, will this still be as fun as an SM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You came to wrong thread to ask that question, it's a little biased in here :D
In short only if you're riding 50% or more off-road.

The S can take knobby tires so it will handle better, and have a usable front brake, in the dirt. On the road you won't be able to get the same sticky tires you can on the SM, the front brake is really not up to the job, and the suspension is too soft.

• Locked thread