Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

It's the anti-squid valve. Make sure you're wearing all your gear and promise that you won't wheelie again.

:haw:

No, really what kind of Duc? Does it have a petcock? Have you made sure it's not set to off or something? Less obviously, pull the fuel line coming out of the tank and see if you get gas from it there - Clamp it, pull it, unclamp and see if gas comes out. Just start following the gas back from the carbs (for from the tank) and checking components until you find the culprit.

I was geared up, my sandals have a shifter pad on the toe. :rolleyes:

It's a 99 Ducati Monster 900. I already checked all the lines by blowing through them. The only one I didn't get was from the pump to the carburetors, it was too tough to reach without pulling the carbs. There's no petcock on the bike, so I couldn't make a mistake that dumb. I might just pull the carbs and check them out and replace the cam belts and check timing while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

I was geared up, my sandals have a shifter pad on the toe. :rolleyes:

It's a 99 Ducati Monster 900. I already checked all the lines by blowing through them. The only one I didn't get was from the pump to the carburetors, it was too tough to reach without pulling the carbs. There's no petcock on the bike, so I couldn't make a mistake that dumb. I might just pull the carbs and check them out and replace the cam belts and check timing while I'm at it.

Can you (carefully) hotwire the pump with a hot lead and check that it's pumping to fill the float bowls? If it operates like most other fuel pumps, you should hear it click/run and then run down and stop once they get full.

If you can, try running that line into a bottle and check that it's actually pumping fuel. Otherwise just listening for it to cycle is pretty good too.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I got a set of Pilot Powers for the SV put on this afternoon. I noticed a 1" long crack/split in my rear tire and decided I'd better not tempt fate.

If you are in Phoenix check out The Wheel Shop. They have the look and feel of a Harley shop but all the guys in there were very cool.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jdonz posted:

If you are in Phoenix check out The Wheel Shop. They have the look and feel of a Harley shop but all the guys in there were very cool.

Ahahahahahaha!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Ahahahahahaha!

Yeah, the site could use some work...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wasn't laughing at the site.

jdonz posted:

Poor HD dealers. True though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found it on Google Street View!

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Replaced the choke cable on my Ninja, that thing is a son of a bitch to replace.

Also prepped to replace the plastics tomorrow can't wait although I do need to find out why my turn signals aren't working, I suspect it is the relay :/

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Finally got around to bringing my battery inside and throwing it on the tender. Not very happy about having to load up the bike anyway in 3 weeks to move. Also I suck at winter maintenance because I've neglected to fill the gas tank more than half full, but I have started it a couple times this past couple months. I hate winter :(

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Tightened, and lubed the chain / sprockets, and cleaned out the area where the front sprocket resides. Lot's of greasy buildup in there.

Nextup, order a Factory Pro Jet Kit and clean my carbs. Yay.

EDIT - Would any of you know which jet kit is better? They Dynojet or Factory Pro?

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ari.gato posted:

Tightened, and lubed the chain / sprockets, and cleaned out the area where the front sprocket resides. Lot's of greasy buildup in there.

Nextup, order a Factory Pro Jet Kit and clean my carbs. Yay.

EDIT - Would any of you know which jet kit is better? They Dynojet or Factory Pro?

Dynojet probably. In the Bandit world, FP is known for making horrible jet kits that are way too rich for the settings they recommend. My Bandit came with an FP kit installed by the previous owner, and it was garbage. I rejetted with stock mikuni parts, and its a world of difference.

I cant imagine that this problem is limited only to the Bandit kits. Dynojet uses weird jet numbering, but they do work well. I'd go with them over FP.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Dynojet probably. In the Bandit world, FP is known for making horrible jet kits that are way too rich for the settings they recommend. My Bandit came with an FP kit installed by the previous owner, and it was garbage. I rejetted with stock mikuni parts, and its a world of difference.

I cant imagine that this problem is limited only to the Bandit kits. Dynojet uses weird jet numbering, but they do work well. I'd go with them over FP.

The only problem that I've run into with the Dynojets is that they recommend drilling the slides on some bikes. I wasn't a fan of that, so I used the Factory pro instead, on my ZX6E. It worked fine.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The only problem that I've run into with the Dynojets is that they recommend drilling the slides on some bikes. I wasn't a fan of that, so I used the Factory pro instead, on my ZX6E. It worked fine.

I noticed that as well. I'm not too keen on drilling the slides either so I went Factory Pro.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I bought myself a new Pilot Power front tire to match the new rear (which hasn't been put on yet). Coming up soon will be a new sprocket/chain.

Anyone have recommendations for good places to buy chains/sprockets from? The triumph parts site has one for like $200.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

I bought myself a new Pilot Power front tire to match the new rear (which hasn't been put on yet). Coming up soon will be a new sprocket/chain.

Anyone have recommendations for good places to buy chains/sprockets from? The triumph parts site has one for like $200.

If vortex makes a kit for your bike, you can order a set from Schad at speed addict cycles. If timeliness is a concern, I'm not sure how often he does orders from vortex...but he may be a couple bucks cheaper. I'd give him a call/e-mail and ask him what prices and times would be like, he may have them in stock. Mention that Conan recommended you.

I've heard good things about sum of all parts. Which Triumph?

http://www.sumofallparts.net/product_results.aspx?keyword=triumph

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Fant has an Speed Triple. I got my parts from that site, they're nice and cheap and you get Vortex sprockets with an RK chain.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 12, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Re-fixed my temporary fix for my FI issues and removed the secondary throttle plates.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

If vortex makes a kit for your bike, you can order a set from Schad at speed addict cycles. If timeliness is a concern, I'm not sure how often he does orders from vortex...but he may be a couple bucks cheaper. I'd give him a call/e-mail and ask him what prices and times would be like, he may have them in stock. Mention that Conan recommended you.

I've heard good things about sum of all parts. Which Triumph?

http://www.sumofallparts.net/product_results.aspx?keyword=triumph
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a ring sometime in the not too distant future. Time isn't really an issue, as the bike is in storage until April.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Fant has an Speed Triple. I got my parts from that site, they're nice and cheap and you get Vortex sprockets with an RK chain.
It looks like Vortex makes a rear sprocket, are RK's the ones to go with for chains?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

It looks like Vortex makes a rear sprocket, are RK's the ones to go with for chains?

Honestly, I haven't seen a huge difference between them. I've used DID, RK, and a couple of other random brands for chains, and Vortex, AFAM, and a few others for sprockets, and they all seem pretty much the same to me. I've heard a few people bitch about vortex wearing faster than other brands, but haven't had that problem myself, and there's a lot that can go into chain and sprocket wear, everything from maintenance to having it overtight.

As long as you're using a XO or similar type chain, you're pretty much good to go. I believe RK offers a 20k mile warranty on their chains, I've never had to use it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Figured I'd post some pics of my KLR progress. I realized today that the retards at CycleGear managed to pinch or otherwise fuckup the tube on my front tire when installing it, since it won't hold air for more than a couple hours. When I was picking it up, the guy took the front tire to the back of the store to air it up, which should have tipped me off that it wasn't holding air, but oh well. I'm going to see if I can get a refund for it, since taking the front tire off and having to drive over there and have them do it again is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Anyway, here are some pics. Got a new bendy mirror (which kind of sucks, isn't stiff enough), choke/mirror relocation bracket, and new control housing. There's a switch on the housing to turn all lights off, have only running lights on, or have lights on like usual. It's a pretty cool option to have.

I imagined these blinkers being much larger when I ordered them, but I found all the wiring for them to test them out and they're plenty bright. I was also relieved to find that the wiring was still mostly in place for the blinkers. I was afraid I'd have to deal with all that.

Got my new sprockets and chain installed. As usual, I discovered another broken piece in the process of fixing something else. The bracket and screws holding the front sprocket were hosed, but are luckily only $10+s/h to replace. Chain breakers are pretty cool.

New shifter, looks and works nice.

Took the tank off for painting. Also going to paint the rear piece but didn't want to undue all of the wiring, so I'm just going to mask a bunch of it off. Also pictured is the stock exhaust back on there, which is much more pleasant, and the new tires.

In all, it's a very frustrating experience to constantly discover broken or missing pieces, and having stupid poo poo happen like cyclegear loving up installing the tire and having to spend another 3 hours taking it off and driving it over. This is without a doubt the very last (and also first) heavily used bike I will ever buy. At least I've learned my lesson on a cheaper bike, though.

edit: also, is the tire compromised at all by being taken off and put back on when they put in the new tube? If so, I'm going to ask them to pony up for a new tire as well, though I find it unlikely that will happen.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 13, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Honestly, I haven't seen a huge difference between them. I've used DID, RK, and a couple of other random brands for chains, and Vortex, AFAM, and a few others for sprockets, and they all seem pretty much the same to me. I've heard a few people bitch about vortex wearing faster than other brands, but haven't had that problem myself, and there's a lot that can go into chain and sprocket wear, everything from maintenance to having it overtight.

As long as you're using a XO or similar type chain, you're pretty much good to go. I believe RK offers a 20k mile warranty on their chains, I've never had to use it.
Well, at this point, I can't remember if it's worn or not, but the chain is rusty from being outside prior to me buying it. It's clear the place I bought it from hit the outside of the chain with a wire brush, but the inside is still rusty. I figured it'd probably need replacement.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a ring sometime in the not too distant future. Time isn't really an issue, as the bike is in storage until April.

If you're replacing the rear sprocket I'd replace the front one as well. This also gives you an opportunity to switch to a different width chain/sprocket set up. I went with 520 but then again my bike is only 600 CC. You could go with a 525 if you wanted.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Are those metzeler tourances?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

blugu64 posted:

Are those metzeler tourances?

Nope, I wanted something cheap, so I went with K761. I've heard good things about them despite the low price tag.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Let me know how those work out for you, I need new tires on the transalp and I had those on my list of tires to check out.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 13, 2010

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Perforated steel pipe and V&H packing fiberglass came today. All I need is a pop-rivet gun and a couple 3/16 drill bits. This weekend I shall be building myself a race baffle for my exhaust. Woohoo.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
fir 40 degree day in about a month so I started it :sigh: winter.....

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

fir 40 degree day in about a month so I started it :sigh: winter.....

Same here. It's 36 here today and it feels downright balmy. If not for all the snow on my driveway/street, I'd take it for a short ride. :(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

Same here. It's 36 here today and it feels downright balmy. If not for all the snow on my driveway/street, I'd take it for a short ride. :(

I'm in Omaha, Ne and all the main roads are perfectly drivable, but when you get back in to the neighborhoods :gonk:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

If you're replacing the rear sprocket I'd replace the front one as well. This also gives you an opportunity to switch to a different width chain/sprocket set up. I went with 520 but then again my bike is only 600 CC. You could go with a 525 if you wanted.
Ahh, is that what that number was? I've seen "xxx conversion" or whatever all over the place without knowing what it meant. Advantages to a wider chain are? Just less wear due to surface area and stronger?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Ahh, is that what that number was? I've seen "xxx conversion" or whatever all over the place without knowing what it meant. Advantages to a wider chain are? Just less wear due to surface area and stronger?

Most of the time, people go with the smaller chains for better acceleration for the holeshot. Less rotating mass == more HP to the rear wheel. I don't think it makes a big enough difference to justify it on anything but a trackbike. You'll also see more wear on a smaller chain.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Most of the time, people go with the smaller chains for better acceleration for the holeshot. Less rotating mass == more HP to the rear wheel. I don't think it makes a big enough difference to justify it on anything but a trackbike. You'll also see more wear on a smaller chain.
So that's your kind way of saying 'it's cutting down the width, not up, retard'. Noted. ;) My current chain, if memory serves, is probably 5/8ths to 3/4ths of an inch wide, and I actually like the look of the wider chain, so I'll probably stick with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

So that's your kind way of saying 'it's cutting down the width, not up, retard'. Noted. ;) My current chain, if memory serves, is probably 5/8ths to 3/4ths of an inch wide, and I actually like the look of the wider chain, so I'll probably stick with that.

Yeah, the 520s are narrow and the 530s are wider. I'd honestly stick with stock. Some people like the narrow "race" look, if you ride every day, you may as well have a chain that's gonna last a bit longer. Plus the sprockets will last longer too. Riders are notoriously performance obsessed, even when it means nothing ;)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hello I am back from the winter hiberation!

Took out the motorcycle battery and put it on the charger. Only let it charge for about an hour before I tried it again.

It's back on the charger for awhile lol!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Hello I am back from the winter hiberation!

Took out the motorcycle battery and put it on the charger. Only let it charge for about an hour before I tried it again.

It's back on the charger for awhile lol!

Dude long time no see, finish up your flight training?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah seriously...drat dude, thought you were gone forever. Now all we need is Simkin back :3:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I AM A CERTIFIED PRIVATE PILOT.

I now wear aviator sun glasses, fly airplanes, and pick up my girlfriend on my motorcycle.

Such a blast ;)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

I AM A CERTIFIED PRIVATE PILOT.

I now wear aviator sun glasses, fly airplanes, and pick up my girlfriend on my motorcycle.

Such a blast ;)

Whattup Maverick.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Whattup!

Also I wear leather jackets ;)

Missed all you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

Whattup!

Also I wear leather jackets ;)

Missed all you guys!

You are the living epitome of :smug: now aren't you. :v: