Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Schecter's necks are so comfortable to play on for me. I learned to play guitar on a Strat with a pretty beefy neck, but my guitars range from Chervel thin and wide, Gibson moderate Flying V style neck, Fender necks from a few different periods, and more, but I love my C-1 Classic's neck. It's just comfy. Feels great, to me. But I also have big hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

pystykorva posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with my Zildjians. I love the brightness but hate the lack of the coveted Bonhamian earthy attack. 2002's would have that but I keep buying these anyway.

Being a somewhat heavy handed drummer is ridiculously expensive. Nobody's fault but mine. Drummers are stupid and I'm stupid. :downsrim:

My phone's camera is laughably bad, so here's a stock photo.

This brings me to my next purchase, which will be sabian aa-metal x crashes. 2 of em. a 19 and a 17, most likely. because i'm tired of all of my crashes breaking, i just want what's essentially a more crashable crash ride.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My drummer bought the guitarist and me each one of these:

Click here for the full 363x1100 image.

:fap: hells yeah!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I went to Sam Ash for the Danelectro Vibe, and they had their Fuzz marked down to NINTEEN loving DOLLARS. I'm at work now, with both pedals stuffed down my pants. That's as close to having sex with these as I'm going to get until I get home.

edit: cheap rear end pedals, but medal case! And true bypass! These are boutique as gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

They are actually pretty boutique, since they're ripoffs of boutique circuits :ohdear: In that case it's a ripoff of the Frantone Cream Puff.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
The owner of Danelectro also donated 10k to the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. Personally I wouldn't put any money his way.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Gorilla Salsa posted:

While we're (temporarily) on the subject of Schecter stuff, does anybody have any experience with this thing? I've been looking for a sub-$400, 2-humbucker, 24-fret fixed bridge, no nonsense guitar that isn't pointy as gently caress or black or otherwise metal oriented, and this seems to be the only thing I don't really have a problem with. Unfortunately, knowing my luck that means it plays like poo poo or something.

I have that exact guitar in blue. It was my first guitar, and really I couldn't have been any luckier to have picked it out when I was a clueless beginner. It has awesome tuners and in my opinion a great neck. It's thicker than my Ibanez's wizard neck, but its not a like a telecaster or anything. I guess I'd describe it as a bit more shallow than a Strat neck. The frets don't stick out and it's a very playable guitar.

One drawback is the pickups, which are muddy pieces of poo poo, but you're not really going to get much in that price range. I have GFS and Dimarzio pickups (I forget the pickup names) in mine now and I like it better than my much nicer Ibanez in terms of sound and playability.

In all, it sounds like this is what you want. It's easy to take care of and doesn't look idiotic like most other Schecters. Also, carved tops are awesome.

Edit:

Agreed posted:

Schecter's necks are so comfortable to play on for me. I learned to play guitar on a Strat with a pretty beefy neck, but my guitars range from Chervel thin and wide, Gibson moderate Flying V style neck, Fender necks from a few different periods, and more, but I love my C-1 Classic's neck. It's just comfy. Feels great, to me. But I also have big hands.

This is the same for me. It might be because it was my first guitar, but I feel like the Omen-6 neck is the perfect size for my hands, which are medium sized.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 13, 2010

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zakalwe posted:

The owner of Danelectro also donated 10k to the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. Personally I wouldn't put any money his way.

Eventually you have to grow up and realize that you personally not buying something from someone you disagree with doesn't solve anything.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Cojawfee posted:

Eventually you have to grow up and realize that you personally not buying something from someone you disagree with doesn't solve anything.

I'm not getting into a debate in the new gear thread. I choose to vote with my pocketbook and take my business elsewhere. Like voting in elections, 1 person doesn't make that much of a difference. I still vote though. Growing up (I'm 31 btw) doesn't mean I have to compromise my principals.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Gorilla Salsa posted:

While we're (temporarily) on the subject of Schecter stuff, does anybody have any experience with this thing? I've been looking for a sub-$400, 2-humbucker, 24-fret fixed bridge, no nonsense guitar that isn't pointy as gently caress or black or otherwise metal oriented, and this seems to be the only thing I don't really have a problem with.

I have some experience with them. By that, I mean I've setup and leveled and crowned the frets of, probably, about a thousand of them (literally). I work for Schecter, and we do the most intensive setups in the industry. Even the Omen 6 gets the same basic setup procedure that the custom shop instruments get: fret and fret-end level, crown, and polish, action and relief and intonation adjustment, and all that good stuff. And remember that, if anything goes south manufacturing-wise, Schecter has a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

In my opinion, they're some of the best guitars matching your criteria you're going to find in the $300-$400 price range. But, again, I work for Schecter. Gonna be a bit of a bias in there. But I really do think they're great for the cash. However, like all sub-$400 guitars, there's gonna be some chinks in the armor, and that usually means the hardware, particularly the pickups, aren't going to be the greatest. They're alright, I prefer them to, for example, Ibanez or Epiphone's "bottom-line" pickups; I'd be in no real rush to swap them out if I got one, but I already have over a dozen guitars myself. But an experienced guitarist, who knows exactly what he wants, and who wants to tailor each guitar he owns specifically to his styles, buying an Omen 6 would probably end up looking into replacing the pickups within a few months.

quote:

It's easy to take care of and doesn't look idiotic like most other Schecters.

:colbert: You'll be eating those words come 2010, buddy.

Dragon Eye Morrison fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 13, 2010

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Tell us more! And what's with the C-1 Classic being replaced by the C-1 Custom? :colbert:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

CanuckBassist posted:

Tell us more!

I prefer to let our NAMM exhibit do the talking. I'll only do more talking after the show.

But I will say that the people who gripe about overly-flashy/overly-adorned guitars, and "totally metal" guitars will have plenty to be pleased about. And there is one bass in particular we're coming out with that is loving sexy as poo poo, sounds and plays amazing, and is quite affordable.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

:words:
Wow! This actually might have sold me. My only real issue is the neck, but to be fair, I haven't even given any Schecters a serious run for their money, so I'll probably do that some time tomorrow. Ugh, Guitar Center here I come. :smithicide:

ninja edit: where do you live that you get to work for Schecter, and how hard is it to actually get a job there?

But it is 2010! :v:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Awesomeness!

Well, you've sold me, too. NAMM is just around the corner, tomorrow in fact. You still sure you can't spill the beans? Or maybe just one, singular bean?

How about just one question: when will this incredible new bass you speak of become available?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

I'm not getting into a debate in the new gear thread. I choose to vote with my pocketbook and take my business elsewhere. Like voting in elections, 1 person doesn't make that much of a difference. I still vote though. Growing up (I'm 31 btw) doesn't mean I have to compromise my principals.

Don't want to derail any further, but from personal experience I can attest that discussion of Dano's politics online and in person has resulted in a lot of people avoiding their products. A single vote is usually insignificant, a single person's campaigning is not.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Wow! This actually might have sold me. My only real issue is the neck, but to be fair, I haven't even given any Schecters a serious run for their money, so I'll probably do that some time tomorrow. Ugh, Guitar Center here I come. :smithicide:

ninja edit: where do you live that you get to work for Schecter, and how hard is it to actually get a job there?

But it is 2010! :v:

Yeah, definitely give it a play. The neck won't be for everyone. It's typically more substantial than, say, an entry-level Ibanez. But they're not bad at all. I kinda like them.

I live in the LA area (Schecter is in Burbank). How hard it is to get a job with the company depends on the job climate when you're hired and your credentials. I had attended a luthiery school, I had built guitars from scratch, I had built a tube amp, I had been trained in repairs, I was personally trained by Buzz Feiten in his temperament system, and I had been working independently as a tech for a music school. Sometimes, when they're hiring, they'll hire someone with no experience if they're really hurting for help, or if he's recommended by a current employee. Obviously, they'd sooner hire someone with some experience, and if someone inexperienced is trying to get a job here when a bunch of experienced people are, it's usually not gonna happen. It's a small company of less than 50 people total, from the techs to the shipping department to the upstairs head honchos. Regardless of your experience, everyone is given training in company standards, and until someone "finds their legs," they can't ship a guitar without it being approved by the supervisor. Keeps standards under control.

quote:

when will this incredible new bass you speak of become available?

It's shipping NOW!!! :toot:
So within the next month or so, if your local Schecter dealer got any of the first shipment, you should see them on the floor. The bass is the "Diamond P Custom."

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Posting this here because I don't want to feel like I just wasted 2 hours of meticulous cut and paste work in Paint.net.

IllustratedGasList.png:

Click here for the full 1365x852 image.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 15, 2010

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Posting this here because I don't want to feel like I just wasted 2 hours of meticulous cut and paste work in Paint.net.

IllustratedGasList.png:

Why would you run an AxeFX into a Mark Five? You're either wasting one glorious sounding preamp or another. You want to run the AxeFX into something like a VHT 2fifty2 or even better, something capable of using 6l6 and EL34 tubes and that will switch between the 2 via MIDI such as the Randall RT2-50. Now that's a boner inducing rig. I'm probably going to build something similar once the Peavey Musebox comes out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Quite a few owners use the AxeFX as an effects unit. It's one of the most capable and otherwise transparent multiFX around, nothing wrong with preferring the Mk V's amp sounds to the AxeFX.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Gramps posted:

Why would you run an AxeFX into a Mark Five? You're either wasting one glorious sounding preamp or another. You want to run the AxeFX into something like a VHT 2fifty2 or even better, something capable of using 6l6 and EL34 tubes and that will switch between the 2 via MIDI such as the Randall RT2-50. Now that's a boner inducing rig. I'm probably going to build something similar once the Peavey Musebox comes out.

Technically I'm running the Mark V into the Axe-FX, but you're right that they both sound great. That said, if one fails, I can use the other as a backup (I'll probably buy a Carvin power amp and keep it around in case the V fails for whatever reason). Truth be told, though they're both built like tanks, and I absolutely MUST own a Mark V if only for the sake of owning a Mark V.

Also, this:

Agreed posted:

Quite a few owners use the AxeFX as an effects unit. It's one of the most capable and otherwise transparent multiFX around, nothing wrong with preferring the Mk V's amp sounds to the AxeFX.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zakalwe posted:

Typically, I agree with you. However, this is sort of a lesser of two evils... kind of like Dominos Pizza's support of anti-abortion rights vs. Little Cesar's support of the most godawful pizzas on the planet.

But in this case, Dano hates gays but supports charging a fair price for a box that does little more than change the noise of a signal. HE is fighting the money-gluts for me, so I support his stance on that, while supporting other pro-gay-marriage people other places. The grownup world is a confusing place where there are no more absolutes. I hate it. I liked it better when the bad guys were bad about everything, and the good guys were good about everything. Now we've got Tiger Woods banging hot chicks and pron stars hating the internet.

Now. Back to the topic at hand. I played with these two little devils last night and gently caress yes I'll be abandoning the Line6 PodXTLive from now on, except for recording demos.

The $20 fuzz reacts to volume changes, via knobs or playing technique, quite nicely and the vibe sounds like a drat vibe. Just oooooooh oh oh.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Yeah I just couldn't resist throwing in my 2 pesos there. It just seems a shame to use something that has phenomenal preamps and then bypass them. In either scenario he's either using the MKV as a power amp (which is what initially struck me as insane- hence the post) or hes using the AxeFX as an FX unit (which is totally acceptable, but still a shame to not use those glorious models)

I knew a guy who ran a Digitech artist preamp as the frontend for an SLO100. I had to go have a smoke to keep myself from blowing my stack at the guy. He had me come over to help him tweak his rig because he was unhappy with his tone and when I saw how he had poo poo wired I saw red.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

magnificent7 posted:

lesser of two evils...

Agree totally, this has to be a judgement call. I don't think anyone here thinks any less of you for supporting Danelectro, it's just a decision some people aren't comfortable with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

Typically, I agree with you. However, this is sort of a lesser of two evils... kind of like Dominos Pizza's support of anti-abortion rights vs. Little Cesar's support of the most godawful pizzas on the planet.

But in this case, Dano hates gays but supports charging a fair price for a box that does little more than change the noise of a signal. HE is fighting the money-gluts for me, so I support his stance on that

Let me stop you right there. HE isn't fighting poo poo. He's a conservative and supports conservative policies while outsourcing production and labor to China. His most famous ripoff is the Transparent OD, a ripoff of Paul Cochrane's Timmy. The Timmy costs $129 new, competitive with overdrives and distortions by major manufacturers but made to a very high quality standard, with great parts and excellent customer service and support. PaulC nearly had to close shop because it was so widely known that you could get one of his pedals (in fact, the only circuit he makes - he has made Tim and Timmy pedals, both using the same basic design but with different features, for the last 12 years, exclusively) for around a third of his price.

PaulC is one of the real "HE's" you're referencing. HE has fought against trends like half of his customers taking advantage of his waiting period to scalp his pedals to other people at prices sometimes inflated by 200% or greater. How do you think a builder feels when he sees people selling his stuff for $300 while he's moving them out the door as the sole source of income for his family at $129? But he kept doing it for a fair price nonetheless, and does still. In fact it was only in 2008 that he raised the prices - by about $10 a pedal, to account for the increased cost that he incurs compared to when he started making them 12 years ago. Money-glut, give me a break. Danelectro is not the loving good guy.

Edit: "Charging a fair price for a pedal that does little more than change the noise of a signal," well, it's obviously something you value or else you wouldn't have bought them. And the circuits are obviously pretty nice or else Danelectro wouldn't have ripped them off. Saves a lot all around when you have no R&D expenses beyond how to shift a preexisting enclosure into metal manufacturing process, and you're buying parts and labor in China in quantities the originator of the circuit you've stolen couldn't dream of.

I guess now this is moving into busting your balls territory, I'm sorry for that, but I don't like the rationalization you put forward and thought you needed to know the whole story. No personal offense intended, but Dan-o isn't some hero of the people struggling against the fat cats. It's sort of the opposite way around. Danelectro is a multimillion-dollar corporation taking advantage of its position in the market to exploit small builders' effort. In every circumstance it's not black and white, but with regards to some of them it definitely is.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 13, 2010

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Look, if you buy anything in America, you're more-likely-than-not buying something forged utilizing (what amounts to) foreign slave labor, and if not, you're almost definitely supporting a rich, white conservative, so there's no use in boycotting anybody.

That said, I personally choose not to buy Danelectro products because they're generally poo poo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It's just an outright fallacy to suggest that since it isn't perfect, it isn't worthwhile. To put it another way, not buying ripoff pedal X doesn't stop Chilean brick slavery, so what's the point? Not buying bricks from manufacturers known to use slavery somewhere along the line doesn't stop American exploitation of maquiladoras thanks to the expanded Mexico Border Industrialization Act, so what's the point? Avoiding products produced in exploitative maquiladoras doesn't stop satellite nation factory exploitation elsewhere, so what's the point?

Each one is still worthwhile. It's not the jewel net of Indra here, it's tangible practices and confronting one has merit on its own.

Edit: Ethics post-globalization is difficult and complex, I'm not disputing that, but when you spot a problem, I don't think it's okay to walk past without doing anything secure in the knowledge that plugging one hole isn't anything against the whole mess of them. If everyone does that, we're hosed.

Edit 2: This is going to reach threadshitting critical mass if it keeps up. I've said everything I needed to say and probably more besides. If anyone wants to reply that's fair, past that I guess PMs or D&D instead of the new gear thread, yeah?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 13, 2010

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I feel bad patronizing a queer-bashing redneck so I don't buy Dano stuff, I don't care what you guys do.

Also those Audix mics absolutely rule. Anyone who's buying an SM58 when an OM2 is available is a big ol' sucker.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I bought myself a second-hand Boss GE-7. Now to decide where to put it. It will probably end up in the effects loop I guess.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Yeah, definitely give it a play. The neck won't be for everyone. It's typically more substantial than, say, an entry-level Ibanez. But they're not bad at all. I kinda like them.

I'm literally typing this outside of the San Antonio Guitar Center on my iPhone. Wow, this guitar is awesome. There were two kinds in the store, a black, beat-to-poo poo hunk of junk that needed a new nut pretty badly. I think it might have been an older model, too, because the other model (in Satin Walnut) was radically different. For one, the neck plate was recessed and made playing the upper frets WAY more comfortable. The neck on the satin walnut was also much more comfortable to play throughout. Is what I describe in fact more typical of a newer model?

The pickups were indeed poo poo, but I'll replace them with a Q-tuner in the neck (or maybe an SD Jazz) and a Dimarzio D-sonic in the bridge. I really liked the Satin Walnut finish, too...

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2010

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm literally typing this outside of the San Antonio Guitar Center on my iPhone. Wow, this guitar is awesome. There were two kinds in the store, a black, beat-to-poo poo hunk of junk that needed a new nut pretty badly. I think it might have been an older model, too, because the other model (in Satin Walnut) was radically different. For one, the neck plate was recessed and made playing the upper frets WAY more comfortable. The neck on the satin walnut was also much more comfortable to play throughout. Is what I describe in fact more typical of a newer model?

Not a newer model, but possibly a newer run. With each year little changes might occur here and there (for example, in 08 we started transitioning to using Graph Tech graphite nuts in every guitar we possibly could), even though the actual model stays the same. The changes are always for the better. It's possible the black one is, like, an 08 or even 07 that didn't sell for one reason or another.

But I always preferred the Walnut Satin finish for the Omen 6, personally. I find it a refreshing change of pace from the standard "gloss color" that's typical of most entry-level guitars regardless of the company.

Glad you liked the guitar! Don't forget to send in the registration card.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
First pic is in from Kirn re: my JM! What a sweet looking piece of ash.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

This thread is sorely lacking in pure audio pornography

That was my cubicle for 15 hours a day for a few days mixing a big corporate sales conference recently. The rack under the MacBook Pro is my new toy, an RME Fireface UC and a locking drawer to keep headphones, RTA microphone, some adapters and other poo poo I always lose in my backpack. I absolutely love the Fireface, although I have yet to really give it a workout, and the SKB mobile recording rack with the laptop holder in the top is pretty awesome. My only gripe is the "cleat" system for holding the laptop is pretty tough to implement while still using all the USB/power/CD inputs on a laptop and I wish it had spots for real pad locks instead of TSA latch bullshit. So far I've just used it for Smaart Live and as a playback mixer (assign SportSounds Pro, iTunes and whatever else to different soft outputs, submix them with the Fireface's internal mixer to 2 inputs into the console) but maybe someday I'll get around to recording something with it.

The Digidesign Venue Profile, Dugan D-2, Dolby Lake Contour with Motion Computing Tablet PC to control it (can't find a great link for these but this will explain why their EQ owns all), Midas XL42s, BSS 901s and Drawmer DL441 were all rentals, but they put the Fireface in its proper setting. God I love the budgets on corporate events. :haw:

For any curious live production whores like myself here's a shot of the house a little while before full rehearsals started. Corporate executives love HD cameras and 50ft video screens for maximum impact from boring rear end PowerPoint presentations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

Love that second Jazzmaster body nonchalantly hangin' out in the background.

Glad you liked the guitar! Don't forget to send in the registration card.
Thanks for the info! I can't wait to file my taxes. :)

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.

Carbohydrates posted:

Judging by this and the mock-up photo, I have a feeling I am going to be insanely jealous very soon.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I already am jealous. I have such a hard on for Jazzmasters it's not even funny.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Love that second Jazzmaster body nonchalantly hangin' out in the background.
He's using it to prop up mine. :smug:

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Harvestman Piston Honda.

Will the constant flood of awesome modules ever stop? It's a great time to be into modular synthesis, that's for sure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Synth stuff looks so cool, but I can't make heads or tails of it. drat you, guitar-centric musical world, I need to get a decent MIDI keyboard as soon as possible so I can learn how to compose better than this half-assed thing I do. And get in on the cool "make literally any of your own sounds you want" deal.

Though FrettedSynth did recently release an amazingly effective, free guitar-to-midi tool that doesn't require any special hardware. If I could get my guitar to sound like an old, fat analog synth sound, I'd be in heaven.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Got a Banjo for christmas! Thought I'd post pics.

It's a Tanglewood something something. I don't play banjo but I've always wanted to. It's absoultely beautiful, really deep finish on it. It was £350 including hard case, Earl Scruggs book, spare strings and picks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Updated IrritatingGaslist.png: