Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

pud posted:

Kids Incorporated, maybe?

No no, im thinking like 1995ish, keyboards? I think there was some running around in a park or something?

It's something that used to air on PBS in the northeast, I don't know if that helped or if it was only northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hung Yuri posted:

Ok I have another question, there was a tv show that was played around the time of reading rainbow, and lambchops and stuff and it was all about kids making music and thats all I can remember

it had to be at least over 10 years ago

Zoom?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

dusty udder smoker posted:

Zoom?

That might be it..that seems more of what I was thinking of I think.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Just a suggestion but how about changing the op to add more stuff people should try to mention? The biggest thing is people always say. "I saw this "old movie" "when I was a kid" or "10 years ago" when none of those things narrow down when the when movie came out very well. The op says "how long ago you saw it" when it should say "What year you think it was released".

Also B&W/color is another one people don't mention that could help.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
I remember a movie coming out in the last decade I need help identifying. It was an art-house film about a town being boarded-up because it was about to be put underwater by a drat. It was a period piece, occurring in the middle of the 20th century, though the film was so stylized that it was hard to place it exactly. It was shot in a very washed-out look, and took place in the midwest or west somewhere, in a state where one doesn't usually see movies set (like Montana or Wyoming or some such.) One of the characters also saw angels/demons/imaginary people, who just hung around their house having crazy philosophical discussions amongst themselves.

I want to say it was directed by two brothers, but I could be wrong. I know the director(s) is known for weird, stylized movies set in the state mentioned above.

The movie was relatively obscure, but if I remember right Roger Ebert liked it and reviewed it on his TV show.

Also note that my memory is tremendously unreliable, so don't take any of these facts as being absolute truth.

Edit: Well, gently caress. Not thirty seconds after I posted this I found the answer by pure chance, looking up the actor who played Lazlo from Real Genius (which I just watched again tonight) on IMDB. The film is "Northfork." I had been looking for the answer for a good half-hour, too. Figures I would find it on my own as soon as I asked here.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 29, 2009

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So I'm trying to think of the title of this terrible old Kung-Fu movie, and for the life of me I can't remember it. If I remember correctly its a bunch of female ninja, and the only scene i can think of off the top of my head is of this female ninja shooting a lazer beam or something out of her nipples.

walnuts
Feb 17, 2007
HEY.... Take the money.
I saw this movie a couple of times as a kid (late 80's / early 90's), it was usually a Sunday matinee movie. It was a kids movie, centered on a young boy and girl. The only real bit I can remember is one part where the boy is in an apartment building looking out the window through binoculars, and he focuses in on a window in another building, and there is a man staring back at him with binoculars. I believe the man (or someone else) may have been chasing after them for some reason.

I just remember that bit always creeping me out.

It's not Rear Window, or that Simpsons episode.

Thanks!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is probably a longshot, but there was a movie I saw a commercial for on (I think it's defunct now) International channel. It was about police officers in an Asian country (I think China, not sure) who wish they could carry guns like in the western movies they see (I believe the example they used was a Dolph Lundgren one). They have to deal with some dog/animal infestation problem. I think

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Will Ferrell getting shot at by a relatively incompetent man with a scoped rifle who keeps missing and hitting oil cans. Will Ferrel yells "Stay away from the cans!" in a wacky, confused way.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell movie this is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hypnolobster posted:

Will Ferrell getting shot at by a relatively incompetent man with a scoped rifle who keeps missing and hitting oil cans. Will Ferrel yells "Stay away from the cans!" in a wacky, confused way.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell movie this is.

Sounds like The Jerk - except it's Steve Martin, not Will Ferrel.

You can see it here at around 1:10.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 10, 2010

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
There's also a scene in Black Hawk Down where they're watching that Jerk clip of the oil cans 'spontaneously exploding', in case you saw it there :P

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
I remember a movie I watched sometime in the '80s, it had to have been late '80s. There was a kid with an abusive father and the kid had a dog. The father ends up beating the dog to death with a baseball bat, I think. Then the kid finds some sort of laser weapon maybe, and his girlfriend is there and she might draw stars or something on his face. I only saw this movie once, and that's all I can remember about it. Maybe they were in a barn at one point? I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Loopyface posted:

I remember a movie I watched sometime in the '80s, it had to have been late '80s. There was a kid with an abusive father and the kid had a dog. The father ends up beating the dog to death with a baseball bat, I think. Then the kid finds some sort of laser weapon maybe, and his girlfriend is there and she might draw stars or something on his face. I only saw this movie once, and that's all I can remember about it. Maybe they were in a barn at one point? I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

Total shot in the dark here, because I haven't seen it in years, but...Laserblast?

Though it's far from the only "kid finds super lasery weapon" movie made around that time.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I remember watching parts of a movie on TV one time where I think the plot centered on either two neighbors making a deal to either kill each others wife or sleep with each others wife. Anyways, something goes wrong and then I really don't remember much else. I think there was a saxophone involved somewhere. I feel like one of the Bills (Paxton or Pullman) was in it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

foodfight posted:

I remember watching parts of a movie on TV one time where I think the plot centered on either two neighbors making a deal to either kill each others wife or sleep with each others wife. Anyways, something goes wrong and then I really don't remember much else. I think there was a saxophone involved somewhere. I feel like one of the Bills (Paxton or Pullman) was in it.

Lost Highway? That's got Bill Pullman as a saxophonist.

Also 'Bill Pullman as a saxophonist!' is probably THE tamest synopsis of Lost Highway ever written.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Shoot, sorry, I know that it isn't Lost Highway. The big thing I remember is the husbands swapping wives and the rest my mind possibly stole from Lost Highway.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Loopyface posted:

Deadly Weapon (which is basically a remake of Laserblast).

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
Me and my wife are trying to remember a movie about a group of friends who were teachers in a small village someplace to help one of them move out to another city.

The entire movie is based on the dialogue between the teachers and stems from the fact that the guy who moves out pretends to be immortal. He recounts to have been alive during the jurassic and to have been jesus himself while the others ask him questions about those times.

Eventually one of the friends, a black guy who was an anthropologist or biologist, threatens him with a weapon.

I could recount p much the entire movie just that its not much to recount. It basically is a filmed theater play sold as a movie.

It resembles Last Supper with less murders (none), 7 or so actors and a central character who poses mindfuck problems.

Also the title of the movie was long and no known actor (at that time at least) was performing in it.

We've seen it around 2006-2007 but it might've been older.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Opposite posted:

Me and my wife are trying to remember a movie about a group of friends who were teachers in a small village someplace to help one of them move out to another city.

The entire movie is based on the dialogue between the teachers and stems from the fact that the guy who moves out pretends to be immortal. He recounts to have been alive during the jurassic and to have been jesus himself while the others ask him questions about those times.

Eventually one of the friends, a black guy who was an anthropologist or biologist, threatens him with a weapon.

I could recount p much the entire movie just that its not much to recount. It basically is a filmed theater play sold as a movie.

It resembles Last Supper with less murders (none), 7 or so actors and a central character who poses mindfuck problems.

Also the title of the movie was long and no known actor (at that time at least) was performing in it.

We've seen it around 2006-2007 but it might've been older.

A little creative Googling (movie teacher immortal) gives me The Man From Earth

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?

FitFortDanga posted:

A little creative Googling (movie teacher immortal) gives me The Man From Earth

That creative googling thing you're doing it works. And I thought I was good at it.

Thank you!

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

foodfight posted:

This is a shot in the dark but maybe Throw Momma From the Train with Billy Crystal?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094142/

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

foodfight posted:

Just a guess, could this be Consenting Adults?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104006/

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Captain Equinox posted:

Just a guess, could this be Consenting Adults?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104006/

Thats it, thanks. Probably not as good as I remember.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

Magicmat posted:

I remember a movie coming out in the last decade I need help identifying. It was an art-house film about a town being boarded-up because it was about to be put underwater by a drat. It was a period piece, occurring in the middle of the 20th century, though the film was so stylized that it was hard to place it exactly. It was shot in a very washed-out look, and took place in the midwest or west somewhere, in a state where one doesn't usually see movies set (like Montana or Wyoming or some such.) One of the characters also saw angels/demons/imaginary people, who just hung around their house having crazy philosophical discussions amongst themselves.

I want to say it was directed by two brothers, but I could be wrong. I know the director(s) is known for weird, stylized movies set in the state mentioned above.

The movie was relatively obscure, but if I remember right Roger Ebert liked it and reviewed it on his TV show.

Also note that my memory is tremendously unreliable, so don't take any of these facts as being absolute truth.

Edit: Well, gently caress. Not thirty seconds after I posted this I found the answer by pure chance, looking up the actor who played Lazlo from Real Genius (which I just watched again tonight) on IMDB. The film is "Northfork." I had been looking for the answer for a good half-hour, too. Figures I would find it on my own as soon as I asked here.

great film. you should watch it again. one of my favorites.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I've looked everywhere for a movie that I was shown as a kid around '95-'98, but it seems to have disappeared. I don't remember much, but I remember that a small kid gets sent into the future while doing something with his younger brother. While he's in the future, he finds his younger brother who is now a man in his mid-thirties who cries and tells him that everyone thought he was dead. My memory blanks here and all I can remember is that the kid climbs into this robot with a small garage door looking thing on the side and then magically goes back to the past. The movies could have been made in the 80's. I'm really fuzzy on all of it.

Sorry for so few details. I'm not even expecting someone to answer, but if someone does, you have all my gratitude.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Tesla333 posted:

I've looked everywhere for a movie that I was shown as a kid around '95-'98, but it seems to have disappeared. I don't remember much, but I remember that a small kid gets sent into the future while doing something with his younger brother. While he's in the future, he finds his younger brother who is now a man in his mid-thirties who cries and tells him that everyone thought he was dead. My memory blanks here and all I can remember is that the kid climbs into this robot with a small garage door looking thing on the side and then magically goes back to the past. The movies could have been made in the 80's. I'm really fuzzy on all of it.

Sorry for so few details. I'm not even expecting someone to answer, but if someone does, you have all my gratitude.

Very likely you're thinking of Flight of the Navigator

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
A western, probably from the early 2000's. I don't remember anything about the plot or characters because I was delirious with fever when I watched it, but it had two identifiable traits:
1) Had a memorable overall look: bleached, washed-out desert set against a deep blue sky. Sort of "hi-def" looking, so it's definitely a recent movie.
2) The score consisted almost entirely of whistling wind and a dude whispering stuff, with lots of reverb.

I think at the end, there was some sort of magical gypsy lady who shows up in the middle of a desert in an ornate horse-drawn carriage and gives the protagonist some sort of tincture... I think? I was tripping balls on flu meds, so that may not have been part of the movie... anyone?

Zilla
Nov 14, 2005

can you see my nuts
I need help identifying a movie. I'm not sure about the time period, I would guess it came out in the 90's, but I think it was meant to be a scary movie, but more creepy than "stuff jumping at you" scary. It involved a weird house (haunted, maybe?) which I believe a family moved into. After some creepy stuff happening, one of the closets upstairs opens into an infinite whiteness and sucks in the little girl. The little girl can then talk to people through the house, and I remember the little girls mom talking to her like this and trying to tell her how to get out of the room. I also believe there was a mangled looking tree in the front yard that was involved somehow.

I've racked my brain but can't think of anymore details. Any help is much appreciated.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zilla posted:

I need help identifying a movie. I'm not sure about the time period, I would guess it came out in the 90's, but I think it was meant to be a scary movie, but more creepy than "stuff jumping at you" scary. It involved a weird house (haunted, maybe?) which I believe a family moved into. After some creepy stuff happening, one of the closets upstairs opens into an infinite whiteness and sucks in the little girl. The little girl can then talk to people through the house, and I remember the little girls mom talking to her like this and trying to tell her how to get out of the room. I also believe there was a mangled looking tree in the front yard that was involved somehow.

I've racked my brain but can't think of anymore details. Any help is much appreciated.

Poltergeist

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
I saw this film at an indie theater in NYC in 2007 or 2008. It featured a man and a young girl in a hospital. The young girl was in the hospital for something minor like a broken arm or leg. The man had huge issues with unrequited love, and had suicidal tendencies. The girl would constantly sneak into the man's room, and force him to tell her stories, even though he often violently refused. The stories would become the film's reality, and we were transported into this desert world in which the man was a superhero with a bunch of awkward, funny allies, who defended the girl from strange looking villains. At one point the man convinces the girl to bring him pills so that he can kill himself. This might be how he actually dies, but I forget.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

alcoholiday posted:

I saw this film at an indie theater in NYC in 2007 or 2008.

Most likely The Fall. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

Most likely The Fall. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

Yes. So quick! Thank you.

Tommy Callahan
Sep 17, 2008

OH MY GOD! WE'RE BURNING ALIVE!

NoSleepTillBedtime posted:

A western, probably from the early 2000's. I don't remember anything about the plot or characters because I was delirious with fever when I watched it, but it had two identifiable traits:
1) Had a memorable overall look: bleached, washed-out desert set against a deep blue sky. Sort of "hi-def" looking, so it's definitely a recent movie.
2) The score consisted almost entirely of whistling wind and a dude whispering stuff, with lots of reverb.

I think at the end, there was some sort of magical gypsy lady who shows up in the middle of a desert in an ornate horse-drawn carriage and gives the protagonist some sort of tincture... I think? I was tripping balls on flu meds, so that may not have been part of the movie... anyone?

Hmm, the first part of your question sounds just like The Proposition http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

And the second part of your question sounds identical to Seraphim Falls http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?

Tommy Callahan posted:

Hmm, the first part of your question sounds just like The Proposition http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

And the second part of your question sounds identical to Seraphim Falls http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/

THANK YOU!!! I had somehow combined these two, but those are definitely them.

Huh, the whispering guy was Nick Cave.

Aural Sects
Sep 15, 2007
Segregate the sound.
I don't have many details, but there was one scene that stuck out to me, I must have been 6-7 so 1995ish, watched it at home on VHS I am pretty sure.

Basically, the scene played out like this:

Dude without a shirt on puts a knife, blade up, in a milk crate and falls on it to kill himself.

That's it, all I remember, my girlfriend and her sister (huge movie buffs) remember it as well, but don't remember anything else.

Thanks!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Approximately 25 years ago when I was 10ish, I saw a kung fu movie.... I want to say a master and a student were practicing with these man-sized dummies that had ball bearings running down grooves on the dummies, and the key was to strike certain points of the dummy and snatch the metal balls as they fell...

Anyone? This was the flick that made me realize I loved kung fu movies.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
Film that looked like it was made in the early 90's... 3/4 yuppie guys are on their way to a sports event in an RV but become jammed on the highway. For some reason they get out and end up in a ghetto/abandoned part of town. They obliviously cross some gang's (which is made up of white guys?) territory, the gang starts chasing them. They catch up to one of the protagonists who offers them his wedding ring but they kill him anyway. The others try to escape once they see a bus but the bus doesn't stop for them. Eventually they get their revenge but I don't remember how.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

GORDON posted:

Approximately 25 years ago when I was 10ish, I saw a kung fu movie.... I want to say a master and a student were practicing with these man-sized dummies that had ball bearings running down grooves on the dummies, and the key was to strike certain points of the dummy and snatch the metal balls as they fell...

Anyone? This was the flick that made me realize I loved kung fu movies.

I don't remember it that well, so this could be way off, but... Shaolin Wooden Men?

pud
Jul 9, 2001

walkenator posted:

Film that looked like it was made in the early 90's... 3/4 yuppie guys are on their way to a sports event in an RV but become jammed on the highway. For some reason they get out and end up in a ghetto/abandoned part of town. They obliviously cross some gang's (which is made up of white guys?) territory, the gang starts chasing them. They catch up to one of the protagonists who offers them his wedding ring but they kill him anyway. The others try to escape once they see a bus but the bus doesn't stop for them. Eventually they get their revenge but I don't remember how.

Judgment Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My dad was watching this movie once on TV when I was little, I doubt I ever knew the title. It was in color, but I'm guessing it was made in the late 50s or early 60s. It was set in the Middle East or maybe India. The only scene I remember was two kids and an older man. One of the kids was a prince of some sort, and reminds me a little of the young Maharajah from Temple of Doom. I don't remember much about the other kid's appearance.

The old man was playing some kind of game with the kids, he showed them a bag of jewels for a few seconds and if they could remember how many and of each kind they could keep it. He offers them a hint, saying there are seven cat's eyes or something like that, but the prince kid says he can tell with a glance. The other one accepts the hint and makes his guess. The prince kid says that there are three rubies, five sapphires, and six cat's eyes. He gets the prize, and the other kid is indignant because the man said there were seven cat's eyes. The old man says "Ah, but I never said I was telling the truth!" Any idea what this movie might have been?