Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Captain Charisma posted:

I mean Undertaker and Kane were complete loving children about the WCW guys, but I think it'd be on a whole other level.

Really? I don't think I've heard about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Also it's probably for the best that Foley didn't go out vs. Undertaker. Undertaker's matches in 99 were pretty bad, and they were REALLY BAD after he got back until late 2002-ish.

Consensus is that Undertaker was officially "back" around the Jeff Hardy ladder match and the Brock Lesnar program, yes?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CM Junk posted:

Consensus is that Undertaker was officially "back" around the Jeff Hardy ladder match and the Brock Lesnar program, yes?

Undertaker's Undisputed Title reign was great (in my opinion at least) and him and Brock beating the poo poo out of each other was a real sight to see. I still don't understand the pants he wore in his PPV match with Kurt Angle though (the one that Eric Angle showed up at).

Captain Charisma posted:

I usually am too until I realize that would have meant HHH would have been involved in the Invasion, right as his backstage power trip was just beginning. Can you IMAGINE that poo poo? I mean Undertaker and Kane were complete loving children about the WCW guys, but I think it'd be on a whole other level.

Triple H being around for the Invasion really is one of wrestling's great "What If...?"'s - I'd like to believe (I'm wrong) that we would have seen the 2 Man Power Trip at the head of a push of WWF as egomaniacal powerhungry bastards and WCW as the underdogs wanting to prove themselves with ECW thrown into the mix, resulting in the overthrow of the Power Trip and Vince McMahon, the settling of past differences and an integrated company. That's about as likely to have happened as Eddie Guerrero showing up on Raw next week though.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Ah, who could forget that epic Taker/Kane vs Kronik feud

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

The A-Team Van posted:

I don't really know much backstage stuff or put huge amounts of stock into what I do hear, but pretty much any match that Taker and Kane had against WCW guys were complete squashes. Not just like where they get the majority of the offense but rather it was hard to watch. I remember there was a cage match against Palumbo and O'Haire (who were actually pretty cool in the last few months of WCW) where it was several minutes of Taker in one corner punching a prone O'Haire in the face while Kane did the same with Palumbo. WCW guys got NOTHING on Taker. I'm a big fan of the guy now but I was really bummed about that at the time.

Kronik got nothing on them either but Kronik sucked. I'll amend that: Kronik sucked and then got even shittier for WWE.

Minges fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 13, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Minges posted:

Kronik got nothing on them either but Kronik sucked. I'll amend that: Kronik sucked and then got even shittier for WWE.

I believe I read that Taker actually liked Kronik and had pulled some strings to get them into WWF, where they turned out to have a dreadful attitude coupled with piss-poor performances that got them turfed out pretty quickly.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The A-Team Van posted:

Taker and Kane generally acted like complete dicks whenever they faced WCW talent. Remember DDP? Watch the cage match between them and DDP/Kanyon. Utter burial, and a terrible match since Taker and Kane don't give a poo poo.

I have no idea why Taker was so lovely for a couple of years. He had the good match vs. HHH at WM17, but after that even against WWF talent he was abysmal. Maybe he just stopped giving a poo poo for awhile.

Jerusalem posted:

That's about as likely to have happened as Eddie Guerrero showing up on Raw next week though.

Man this would be so funny. Undertaker comes out with a casket and then you hear "I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED!" Eddie pops out of the casket, and Vince has a fake heart attack.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 13, 2010

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Has any WCW guy gone on the record as saying this is what Undertaker was doing, or is this just a matter of seeing what we want to see? I've never heard anyone accuse Undertaker of sandbagging and unless there's a professional name associated with it on record, it's just as credible as Macho Man banging 14 year old Stephanie

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nobody said anything about sandbagging.

They are saying He worked lovely one sided matches that were essentially squashes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Out of malice or ill-will?

I dont want a semantic argument - my question is, are these posts that are implying/accusing Undertaker of some sort of specific malice or cruelty towards WCW, are they based on first-hand accounts that none of us have somehow ever seen before? Because here's a guy that - despite all odds in this industry - has been described as nothing but class from everybody this side Adam - and he is now squashing guys from WCW out of some personal hatred or ill will? Undertaker and Kane always squashed people outside of the main event. That is their basic function, or it was until Kane got fat.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 13, 2010

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supreme Allah posted:

Out of malice or ill-will?

I dont want a semantic argument - my question is, are these posts that are implying/accusing Undertaker of some sort of specific malice or cruelty towards WCW, are they based on first-hand accounts that none of us have somehow ever seen before? Because here's a guy that - despite all odds in this industry - has been described as nothing but class from everybody this side Adam - and he is now squashing guys from WCW out of some personal hatred or ill will? Undertaker and Kane always squashed people outside of the main event. That is their basic function, or it was until Kane got fat.

Maybe Bikertaker was some kind of angry alternate persona?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Undertaker's Undisputed Title reign was great (in my opinion at least) and him and Brock beating the poo poo out of each other was a real sight to see. I still don't understand the pants he wore in his PPV match with Kurt Angle though (the one that Eric Angle showed up at).

I remember them being a tiger print or something, but from long shots it looked like the Undertaker was wrestling in a nice pair of slacks.

I found Bikertaker mostly to be a bore, but it was all worth it for him dragging Hulk Hogan around with a motorcycle.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

crankdatbatman posted:

All this talk about Foley makes me think: Was Foley what one would consider a "glorified jobber" (at least in WWE)? I started watching wrestling at the twilight of Foley's career shortly before his "retirement" match with Triple H in 2000, but it seems like all he did was get the poo poo kicked out of him and lose his match. Big matches that come to mind are KOR 98 against Undertaker, the I quit match at Royal Rumble 99, Royal Rumble 2000, and retirement at No Way Out 2000. His win as Mankind in the "butts in seat" match seems to be a small token of appreciation for his work and dedication,and then he loses the belt in less than a month.

I could be totally wrong, but since my knowledge on Foley is low, I want to know about some major matches that Foley actually won.

Also, from wikipedia article on No Way Out 2000:

Reading that felt really wrong to me.
Foley only won his second belt at Summerslam 99 because Austin didn't want to job to Triple H.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Foley did beat midcard-HHH a few times though, and in his feud with the corporation he was pretty much portrayed as being equal to The Rock. But yeah, once he was a 100% main eventer his role was pretty much to put over the top guys.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TL posted:

I remember them being a tiger print or something, but from long shots it looked like the Undertaker was wrestling in a nice pair of slacks.

I found Bikertaker mostly to be a bore, but it was all worth it for him dragging Hulk Hogan around with a motorcycle.

I always thought that the Undertaker looked like he would smell really bad during the bikertaker phase. Maybe that's just some kind of unconscious prejudice towards bikers I had back then.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Going back quite a few pages to entrance themes, I've always thought that was Eric Bischoff singing on his WWE Theme. I'm probably wrong, but is it?

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

crankdatbatman posted:

I always thought that the Undertaker looked like he would smell really bad during the bikertaker phase. Maybe that's just some kind of unconscious prejudice towards bikers I had back then.

Dead men always smell bad.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why didn't Kenny from the spirit squad last with WWE? For a time - to me - it looked as though he was going to be the one from the group who stuck around as a singles star.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

DannoMack posted:

Why didn't Kenny from the spirit squad last with WWE? For a time - to me - it looked as though he was going to be the one from the group who stuck around as a singles star.

I remember reading he had an attitude. And he was given a crappy name, Kenny Dykstra, I think. Which means nothing to me as a Euro but it means something to Americans, I think.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Von Linus posted:

I remember reading he had an attitude. And he was given a crappy name, Kenny Dykstra, I think. Which means nothing to me as a Euro but it means something to Americans, I think.

No its a dumb name, its like 1 letter off from a famous baseball player

INSTANT SUPERSTAR WITH THAT

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DannoMack posted:

It's for the best, if we can only have one, I'd much rather have Mr. Ziggles.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kenny Dykstra is literally the worst WWE gimmick name I've ever heard, which is saying something. I think his one achievement was having a halfway decent TV match with Bobby Lashley, another guy with shitloads of problems, most not his own fault.

The whole Spirit Squad thing in general was some of the worst poo poo of the last five years, so whatever.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The whole Spirit Squad thing in general was some of the worst poo poo of the last five years, so whatever.

[img]rear end-scooting.gif[/img]

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When did Mankind's theme change from the creepy, evil sounding song to the wreck theme? And was it when his gimmick changed from hosed up psycho guy to happy go lucky guy who got the poo poo kicked out of him or was it kind of a spontaneous change?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hockles posted:

[timg]rear end-scooting.gif[/timg]

When he did this I was watching with my parents and shouted "What the gently caress is that poo poo!" out loud. This was the first time my parents heard me curse in front of them. It was hilarious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

When did Mankind's theme change from the creepy, evil sounding song to the wreck theme? And was it when his gimmick changed from hosed up psycho guy to happy go lucky guy who got the poo poo kicked out of him or was it kind of a spontaneous change?

It changed the week after he beat The Rock for the title on Raw. His theme prior to that, though, was a modification of his original slow, string-only theme that lasted through late 2007, as it had a heavy percussion background.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

It changed the week after he beat The Rock for the title on Raw. His theme prior to that, though, was a modification of his original slow, string-only theme that lasted through late 2007, as it had a heavy percussion background.

I know which one you are talking about, but he had that til 2007? I figured he had the wreck theme b/c once he became just "Mick Foley" that seemed to fit his character. I know he used it during his commissioner days, but I quit watching around WM 19 so he might have reverted back to the older theme.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

FishBulb posted:

No its a dumb name, its like 1 letter off from a famous baseball player

INSTANT SUPERSTAR WITH THAT

That was the point. Meltzer said at the time that Brian Gerwitz gave him the name since Gerwitz was a big Lenny Dykstra fan. They also wanted to slowly build him up as a main event heel (which they thought would've happened around last year) but welp.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Kenny Dykstra is literally the worst WWE gimmick name I've ever heard, which is saying something.

Including Bam Neely? This guy got his name MONTHS after Dykstra and they gave him ANOTHER one-letter-off sports name and it was for a much bigger hockey star than Dykstra is a baseball star.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CM Junk posted:

Including Bam Neely? This guy got his name MONTHS after Dykstra and they gave him ANOTHER one-letter-off sports name and it was for a much bigger hockey star than Dykstra is a baseball star.

Bam Neely is a way better name just because it evokes the kind of word association that you'd want with a wrestler.

Let's break this down:

Bam = Bazooka Kaboom
Neely: I dunno whatever it doesn't sound stupid or anything

Kenny = Sonny, Willy, Billy, all little babby names
Dykstra = Butch lesbian. Yeah I loving said it. Also a baseball player that's been retired for 10 years and you've probably never heard of because you watch wrestling. Also apparently Lenny Dykstra is a huge rear end in a top hat who's also on record as a roid user. Way to go.

Babby Lesbian. Oh by the way did I mention that he started out with the biggest jobber gimmick in years and now his entire gimmick is his terrible name?

Now go out there and make 'em love you, kid! Probably should have just fired him and saved themselves some money, since no one in their right mind ever paid to see this guy.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Bam Neely is a way better name just because it evokes the kind of word association that you'd want with a wrestler.

Let's break this down:

Now do Evan Bourne.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Now do Evan Bourne.

Evan= Two syllable name.
Bourne= goes with air

His problem is that he's called really athletic and get his rear end beat by basically anyone and everyone, and he's on TV more than once a week. He needed Hornswoggle's help to beat Chavo Guerrero.

He needs to start a PROGRAM with someone, because randomly losing in tag matches, he looks shabby. Especially when his matches are 5 minutes long with entrances.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Now do Evan Bourne.

It sounds like "Heaven Born (Hell Bound)" so basically it's referencing his sinful drug habits.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
The Spirit Squad did poo poo off of a trampoline and I thought that was sweet as hell.

As for content: After reading the Vince Russo Q&A session where he jizzes in his pants over Randy Orton, and seeing how much the WWE lets him get away with without firing, I have to wonder what exactly it is about him that makes him so great? I mean I am an Orton fan, and although it sucks that his attitude backstage is terrible, I don't let that cloud my opinion of him... but he doesn't really have anything that, say, Edge doesn't also have does he?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DannoMack posted:

The Spirit Squad did poo poo off of a trampoline and I thought that was sweet as hell.

As for content: After reading the Vince Russo Q&A session where he jizzes in his pants over Randy Orton, and seeing how much the WWE lets him get away with without firing, I have to wonder what exactly it is about him that makes him so great? I mean I am an Orton fan, and although it sucks that his attitude backstage is terrible, I don't let that cloud my opinion of him... but he doesn't really have anything that, say, Edge doesn't also have does he?

Randy is 7 years younger & a lot less injury prone. On top of that, he's already a legit main eventer in the WWE so he could transition to that same position anywhere else.

EDIT: I don't mean that Edge isn't a legit main eventer.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 14, 2010

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DannoMack posted:

He absolutely has nothing that Edge doesn't have and is, in my opinion, orders of magnitude worse than Edge. I don't hate him, but he's colossally overrated and I don't seem him as the stand-out megastar everyone else seems to think he has.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Worse than the Diva Search? Worse than Chavo vs Hornswaggle? Worse than the Eddie poo poo involving Rey, Chavo, Vickie & Benoit?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Worse than the Diva Search? Worse than Chavo vs Hornswaggle? Worse than the Eddie poo poo involving Rey, Chavo, Vickie & Benoit?

He didn't say "the worst" just "some of the worst." And I disagree on that. They were pretty bad, and they lost a lot, but they were excited to be there, so the gimmick didn't bomb as bad as it probably should have.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TL posted:

He absolutely has nothing that Edge doesn't have and is, in my opinion, orders of magnitude worse than Edge. I don't hate him, but he's colossally overrated and I don't seem him as the stand-out megastar everyone else seems to think he has.

Edge matches are usually boring unless there's weapons involved, other than that the entire match is waiting for whatever colossal gently caress finish they have planned. Also, and this is no fault of Edge's, the way they've booked him over the years means that beating him essentially means nothing.

Randy is actually a pretty good wrestler and can really have a good singles match if that is what is called for. He also does his gimmick really well and all-around it's pretty fun to watch him go insane during a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

CVagts posted:

He didn't say "the worst" just "some of the worst." And I disagree on that. They were pretty bad, and they lost a lot, but they were excited to be there, so the gimmick didn't bomb as bad as it probably should have.

Without the Spirit Squad, we wouldn't have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub_zMpLPRfk